Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2001 10:44:27 PM EDT
ok, i have a rifle of mine that i kept in a rifle case for about a month or so in a relativly humid environment.  Its a good rifle, now i have had to clean a little bit of rust out of the barrel

QUESTIONS

1.) will this affect accuracy?  how much?
2.) what can i put in my new gunsafe to keep the rust problem out?

thanks

Link Posted: 7/29/2001 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Goldenrod dehumidification rod, should be able to pick one up where you bought your safe.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
ok but since the little bit of rust inside is not near the crown of the barrel, will it affect the accuracy?

Link Posted: 7/29/2001 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Only way to know for sure is to shoot it and see.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 11:59:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Conventional wisdom is that even a pretty badly pitted bore will often shoot quit well when clean.  However, it will foul easily so frequent cleaning is needed.  Yours doesn’t sound that bad.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:28:00 AM EDT
[#5]
You didn't say what type of rifle you have, but if it is a bolt, take the bolt out and leave air pass through the barrel. The golden Rod should do it. I was told never to zip a gun case all the way up, or store a gun in a hard case because they both will trap moisture inside. If the rust has been there only a month it probably is nothing more than surface rust, it should come right out.Get a product called Corrosionx.I am ordering four more spray bottles today. I use it on my machines,tools and guns,it is the best.[url]www.corrosionx.com[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top