Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2005 11:02:42 AM EDT

You know the one I'm talking about. The one on that damn commercial which comes on about every 5 minutes.

No batteries and you shake em up to get power to the light. Does the light emitted amount to anything? Is it made to last?

Seems like a good trainer for power mastur.....................
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I love it whent that lady jacks off the flashlight.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#2]

I got a chance to play with 2 of them last night.  Pieces of shit.  They take forever to come on.  They are not that bright. and your right, they are good trainers for taking care of things yourself.  On the other hand though, it did strike me as built kinda heavy duty.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#3]
In the commercial it looks like the light is barely lighting up a closet.  Looks like a handy thing to have arond during a power outage for a backup, and a backup in your car.  Thats about it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw one at Lowes that you crank to charge and has a 4 LED lamp system --the package allows you to try it and it worked pretty good, felt solid and well made for less than $20 each they have taken the place of battery flashlights in our drawers and power failure kits.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Tried it off the shelf. It sucked. I'd imagine that you'd have to "jerk-it-off" for quite a while for you to get a decent illumination.

Stay away.....
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one that is pretty good.  Shake it for about 30 sec and it works for around 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Not quite as bright as a typical flashlight, but the crank lights are good.  Plenty of light to see around the house or the car in the dark.  I have a keychain LED light that isn't even as bright as the crank flashlight, and I use that thing all the time.  I never want to be without it.

The shake-lights are more annoying to me.  I'd rather have a crank-light.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a shake light for $5 at a gun show.

Not a lot of shaking needed to get it on.

The light is no surefire but it's reasonably bright and can be used for close up jobs.

For $5, it's worth the $$$.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#9]
if you read the life spams of those lights they are good for about 10 years before parts start to degrade and corode away.

lithium batteries are good for 10 years a piece at a high quality flashlight should be water resistant or water proof and should last for decades.  I'd take my chances with a working flashlight and 10 year shelf life batteries
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have one that is pretty good.  Shake it for about 30 sec and it works for around 20 minutes.

Mine has to be shook for 20 minutes and only works for about 30 seconds
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
if you read the life spams of those lights they are good for about 10 years before parts start to degrade and corode away.

lithium batteries are good for 10 years a piece at a high quality flashlight should be water resistant or water proof and should last for decades.  I'd take my chances with a working flashlight and 10 year shelf life batteries

My shake light it totally self contained and more water proof than either of my surefires.  Or any other light with screw caps.  

I am not sure which ones you saw with a life of 10 years but most have a simple magnet that slides and a capacitor.  Totally air tight.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#12]
FredM and Phil_A_Steen could you tell us what brand your lights are?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

AIT Nightstar  LED

Link

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AIT Nightstar  LED

Link

I've also had a Nightstar for a couple of years now.
It isn't a Surefire, but it isn't supposed to be. It's durable and has never given me any problems.
It was very handy when I lost power for a week during last year's hurricane season in FL.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got the Eveready flashlight and it works just fine.You certainly are'nt going to shine for deer with it but it's more than sufficient to find your way around the house or change a flat tire at night.It was $19.99
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#17]
IMO that one looks like a cheap piece of crap.

However I think the ones you crank that may or may not have a built in AM/FM radio look like they could be good.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
IMO that one looks like a cheap piece of crap.

However I think the ones you crank that may or may not have a built in AM/FM radio look like they could be good.

Well I own one and it was certainly not cheap, and it is definetly not a piece of crap.  So what experience do you have in these lights?

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I got one, and as a "free" bonus I got a mini one too
the big one is great. doesn't take much shaking to get it going and if it isn't used until drained it will still have a charge a few days later
the mini one kind of sucks. takes more shaking and the charge doesn't last as long and won't last over night even if not used at all after shaking it

I got this one
www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vcc/advancedresultsmarketing/everlifeflashlight/134349/

I'm thinking of getting another one so that I can have a large one in both my apartment and car
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wtf, all it has is an inductor,magnet, and a capacitor in it. Aside from replacing lightbulbs, this thing should operate indefinitely.

LED has incredibly long lifespans.  Shock proof also unlike Xenon.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Soon they'll have a model you have to blow to recharge
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought one ... handiest thing I have around my house. So I bought 6 more !
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#25]
They are good back up lights.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
My father picked up a few and gave me one. I have been very impressed with it. No, its not a 120 lumen Surefire, but as a nightstand light, or an emergency light for bad weather, in your car glove box, etc., it works great. I'll have to check on the brand on the one I have as I cant remember.

This is a survival light.  It has free lumens and will WORK. Period.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wtf, all it has is an inductor,magnet, and a capacitor in it. Aside from replacing lightbulbs, this thing should operate indefinitely.

do they have a small rechargeable battery in them to hold the charge or just the capacitor? I have a small "Survival" radio I got that works on a crank system but after a year the battery inside wouldn't hold charge anymore so it just works if it's sitting in the sun or actively being cranked.

Are you saying these don't have that same prob?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Good for a toolbag in the car.

Also:  Get them for the children.  Do it for the sake of the batteries!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Just picked up two from the grocery store and they work great! for 6.99 the light was bright enough to make me look away and will light up hallway and livingroom enough to get things done. Its not a Scorpion or Surefire but no batteries! Maybe I will tape it to my AR 15 for low light but I might look funny if I start shaking my rifle in the middle of room clearing.
 (I also picked up a wind up radio from a gun dealer at a gunshow back in the 90's He wound it up to far and broke it but I took it apart and rivited it back togther and it works fine.)
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Shake for about a minute and they work just as well as cheap old-style flashlights.  We have one in each vehicle.   Rolled up in a hand-towel there next to the spare tire and don't need to sweat batteries/corrosion.  I like 'em.

ETA:  We have the el'cheapo <$10 type - nothing special.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I have an old BayGen wind-up light.  It's great for its intended purpose - backup light for emergencies, power outages, etc. in the house.  They make a smaller one now that might be suitable for use in a vehicle.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:44:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

do they have a small rechargeable battery in them to hold the charge or just the capacitor? I have a small "Survival" radio I got that works on a crank system but after a year the battery inside wouldn't hold charge anymore so it just works if it's sitting in the sun or actively being cranked.

Are you saying these don't have that same prob?

The AIT NightStars use a capacitor to store energy.  There is no battery, rechargeable or otherwise, to go wrong.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:51:59 PM EDT
[#34]
crank good, shake bad
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top