User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:03:08 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
All well and good.

Still, I'm not gonna lay my neck in the guillotine of some ninny liberal bed wetter professor at State U, or some small town prosecutor looking to make a name for himself.

The snag is that you have to actually do something illegal before the prosecutor can do much to you in the first place, and a ninny liberal bed wetting professor may think he is God but in reality his power is kind of limited by the authority of the Administration and the laws of the area.

If a student is going to carry on campus for personal safety (assuming they have a valid CCW permit), they would do well to examine all applicable state and local laws on the matter, because it very well may be illegal to carry on some campuses as a matter of state or local law.

That, however, is going to be the exception rather than the rule. Most college regulations are simply binding on the college and do not carry the force of law.

Trust me on this one. We just went through a lawsuit about this very issue.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:10:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I have my AR,870,XD40-all at my apt off campus. First week I was there a knife fight broke out outside my window and guns were mentioned between the 2 parties involved.  I was ready to call 911 but if I had any bullets coming through my apt. I would have rained .223 on their ass

But seriously there is a growing # of idiots in these college settings and most of the college folk like me on here have a good understanding on firearms and know what they are doing.  I have been picked over by some of the older crew on here too for me owning a firearm in college and to them I say Fuck off
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:17:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The snag is that you have to actually do something illegal before the prosecutor can do much to you in the first place, and a ninny liberal bed wetting professor may think he is God but in reality his power is kind of limited by the authority of the Administration and the laws of the area.

The liberal prof turns you in to campus police.

Campus police turn you over to the local prosecutor.

Who can bankrupt you simply thru teh attorney you'll need to get thru the indictment process.

Jail time will likely cost you your job. And good luck getting another job after you've been indicted for [gasp] "possession of a firearm in an educational facility."

I'm NOT talking statute here, or what you could be convicted of.

I'm talking about the real world and how bad you CAN be screwed for doing nothing wrong at all.

Why go there?

If our intrepid friend here REALLY thinks he needs a gun, he should transfer universities. Just as I would move to another home if I felt a constant need for a handgun in my home. Mostly, I own them so I don't have to stay in the safety of my home (I live in a very rural area)

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:19:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

But seriously there is a growing # of idiots in these college settings and most of the college folk like me on here have a good understanding on firearms and know what they are doing.  I have been picked over by some of the older crew on here too for me owning a firearm in college and to them I say Fuck off

Please forgive us for being aware of how bad you COULD get screwed.

We'll try to never again be concerned with your well being.

Geez. "Fuck off?" Really? You think that's the appropriate response here?

Maybe you ARE too immature for firearms ownership.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:21:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have my AR,870,XD40-all at my apt off campus. First week I was there a knife fight broke out outside my window and guns were mentioned between the 2 parties involved.  I was ready to call 911 but if I had any bullets coming through my apt. I would have rained .223 on their ass

Just a couple of weeks ago a student of the local University who was living off-campus (but within walking distance) had a few friends over to watch a TV show. They were sitting there minding their own buisness when three men with baseball bats busted through the door of his townhouse, hit one of the group with a bat, and then proceeded to rob the rest of them. The culprits were mexicans who recently came to the area and noticed all the nice stuff that the college kids have. They figured it would be easy money. It was easy money, and they still have not been caught....

If you think college is safe, you haven't been around one enough.

Scumbags see colleges and universities and their students as being a gigantic bullseye. The only reason some colleges appear "safe" is because the right person hasn't targeted one yet.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:25:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The liberal prof turns you in to campus police.

The campus police can then ask you to leave or store your weapon, but cannot arrest you for the carry of said weapon because in CCW states, no law has been broken.

Campus police turn you over to the local prosecutor.

Only if you actually comitted a crime, which, as I explained earlier, is only applicable to one university in the entire Commonwealth.

Who can bankrupt you simply thru teh attorney you'll need to get thru the indictment process.

Again, you presume too much.

Jail time will likely cost you your job. And good luck getting another job after you've been indicted for [gasp] "possession of a firearm in an educational facility."

I'm NOT talking statute here, or what you could be convicted of.

I'm talking about the real world and how bad you CAN be screwed for doing nothing wrong at all.

Why go there?

If our intrepid friend here REALLY thinks he needs a gun, he should transfer universities. Just as I would move to another home if I felt a constant need for a handgun in my home. Mostly, I own them so I don't have to stay in the safety of my home (I live in a very rural area)

You are just dead wrong here, Garandman.

As I said before, we JUST went through a whole bunch of legal wrangling about this, with the Attorney General of Virgina rendering an opinion on this very issue that was binding.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:02:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You are just dead wrong here, Garandman.

As I said before, we JUST went through a whole bunch of legal wrangling about this, with the Attorney General of Virgina rendering an opinion on this very issue that was binding.

I choose "safe" over "sorry."

And if you think local prosecutors are constrained by stautory law, well, yer just dead wrong there

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:52:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I need to get something smaller if im going to carry concealed(when i get my CCW of course)

I think what works best for CCW is a Kahr PM40 which is 40S&W cal.

I have a Taurus PT-99 right now; laugh if ya want but its been nothing but accurate and reliable for me. I know i need to get some highcaps for it, any idea where to get some?

Take a look at Natchez they have factory hi-caps for your PT-99 for $29.

Now what you really need is some thing to lock your 99 up
and out of the hands of your rich boy roommate.

Take a look at Missouricarry Small vehicle car safe for $30. Plus you can use it in your car once you get your CCW license.

Another option is get some QuikClot from Quanico Arms.  That way if you or a roommate takes a round (God Forbid) you will be able to stop the bleeding ASAP. It's what our Men&Women use in the field in Iraq to keep someone from bleeding out after being hit.   Not a nice thought but like a Boy Scout '"always be prepared".
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Question.  You are under 21 yet have a handgun in your posession?  OH minimum age for purchase is 21 so whos handgun is it?  How happy would that person be if someone else got posession of it and was able to use it or got caught with it?  Just a thought.

A college apartment is a terrible place to "hide" a firearm.  Invest in one of the lockable boxes that you can bolt to the floor and open with the appropriate combination if you insist on keeping it in your current situation.  

Alocohol and guns do not mix.  I am also under the impression that you need to be 21 to legally enjoy alcohol in Ohio.

You are asking for a real problem if you get caught with a concealed handgun.  Get a can of pepper spray until you are 21 and then get a CCW.  Stay legal and stay safe.  

WTF?

In FL, at 18 you can buy a handgun from a non-FFL, which is what i did.

How do you know its a terrible place? Actually its rather safe.

You right, alchohol and guns dont mix, and never in my post did i say i was drinking in possession of my weapon.

Uh, not in FL. You dont need a CCW license to carry concealed inside your home-which is what i did/do.

State laws vary buddy.

Daubs-

My dad has a PM9 for his carry, so im somewhat familiar with Kahr.

Thanks, i need to get some highcaps when i have the funds.

I keep it in a lockbox hidden away, and in FL we can carry handguns hidden as long as they are not on our body and not at immediate access(like laying on the floor) without a CCW.

Thanks for all the info guys.

And for the naysayers, im not trying to break anylaws, nor do i want to. I just want to not get killed, and if something does happen, at least have the means to deter any attack.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#10]
[snip] backing away from this discussion.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you have a handgun at most colleges, yer likely to get free room and board.

Compliments of the gov't - at the Federal penitentiary of the judges choosing.

Plan accordingly.

When I lived in the dorm(Florida State) I was required to check my gun in at the campus PD.  Not doing so could result in me being arrested.  It was right in the dorm information.  The PD had a big locked room FULL of guns.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you have a handgun at most colleges, yer likely to get free room and board.

Compliments of the gov't - at the Federal penitentiary of the judges choosing.

Plan accordingly.

When I lived in the dorm(Florida State) I was required to check my gun in at the campus PD.  Not doing so could result in me being arrested.  It was right in the dorm information.  The PD had a big locked room FULL of guns.

Interesting info.

One of my life goals is NEVER to be arrested.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you are the kind of person that cannot follow the rules of an organization that has voluntary membership, perhaps you should choose to not be a member.  (Not saying YOU specifically, but as a general point).

How boring.  I see no moral obligation to follow stupid laws/rules.  Just be prepared to cowboy up to the consequences if you get caught.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You misunderstand the meaning of the word private in this context.

College campuses are private property meaning that they have the right to ask anyone to leave at any time, and can arrest you for trespassing if you do not comply.

The roads that taverse the college campuses in Florida are PUBLIC roads.  As such, the school has
absolutely ZERO legal right to issue trespass.  As they are legal, navigable public roads, the best the school could do is get you for loitering.

You cannot trespass on a public roadway.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:06:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The roads that taverse the college campuses in Florida are PUBLIC roads.  As such, the school has
absolutely ZERO legal right to issue trespass.  As they are legal, navigable public roads, the best the school could do is get you for loitering.

You cannot trespass on a public roadway.

On roads, perhaps. But if you turn into the parking lots or go to the library, etc, you can indeed be charged with trespassing.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top