Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:09:39 AM EDT
[#1]
30-06 in an Encore is a handful.  The 270 I had would punish you if you didn't hold on just right.  The recoil wasn't the worst thing.  The muzzle jump was the worst.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:11:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:15:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
30-06 in an Encore is a handful.  The 270 I had would punish you if you didn't hold on just right.  The recoil wasn't the worst thing.  The muzzle jump was the worst.

I would imagine so.  Patty
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:17:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You ought to try shooting my Encore in .450 Marlin. Brutal

I have a 30-06 barrel for it also, and yeah, it is also a handful.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:21:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Returned?

I never left.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:22:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I started to buy a 45-70 instead of the 270, but I hate ported barrels.

Swapped the 270 for a 243 about 2 years ago and haven't even shot it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:23:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only firearm that has actually hit me in the head ... was a 16" 45/70 Contender ...

I used to have a SSK Handcannon in 358 JDJ (444 Marlin necked down to 35)...
I would have to move my head out of the way as the gun and my hands came flying past. It was B-R-U-T-A-L with 225gr and 250gr bullets.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:25:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I will have you know that not all deer hunters are bad.  I have been hunting for years and have also been shooting since I was a child.  It is shame that some bad apples have ruined the bunch.  

We know, but the simple fact of the matter is that when they come by the droves to sight in their rifles the range gets a lot more dangerous to be at.  I get very nervous and have had to just leave before with the unsafe crap going on some days.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:27:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By skid2964:

I will have you know that not all deer hunters are bad.  I have been hunting for years and have also been shooting since I was a child.  It is shame that some bad apples have ruined the bunch.  

We know, but the simple fact of the matter is that when they come by the droves to sight in their rifles the range gets a lot more dangerous to be at.  I get very nervous and have had to just leave before with the unsafe crap going on some days.

You quoted someone else, but used my screen name , it's ok ... just wierd to see my name on top of words I didnt type.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:31:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By skid2964:

You quoted someone else, but used my screen name , it's ok ... just wierd to see my name on top of words I didnt type.

You're right.  I quoted you cause I didn't want to go all the way back to his post.  I justed edited wrong.  Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I hate this time of year. The rifle range is always near-full. Last year, four guys drive up in their shiny, black, new H2 and all four get out with their stainless all-weather .300 Win Mags/7mm Mags and shoot a couple of rounds each at about 300 yards. I was shooting my Bushy A2 HBAR with iron sights at 18" gongs at the same distance. They weren't hitting anything out there at all ( I know because even my little .223 makes a noise, whereas my .30-06 will spin the gong with hot loads). After shooting their couple of rounds a peice and not hitting anything at all, they all hopped back in their H2 and sped off. There was a guy in the booth next to me and I remember making the statement "God help the deer this year". So I'll go ahead and make the statement for this year too -- "God help the deer this year".
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I always love it when I show up to a range during deer season and see the military-only-rifle crowd there.  The ones that are too wimpy to hunt, and I proceed to out shoot them with my bolt action deer rifle and then pull out my AR15 and out shoot them with it too.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I always love it when I show up to a range during deer season and see the military-only-rifle crowd there.  The ones that are too wimpy to hunt, and I proceed to out shoot them with my bolt action deer rifle and then pull out my AR15 and out shoot them with it too.  

I knew when I saw a post from someone with "bubba" in the name, that I'd be readin' something like the above. Good stuff man! Carry-on "bubba". You seem to hate deer-hunter stereo types, but do little to change them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:51:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew when I saw a post from someone with "bubba" in the name, that I'd be readin' something like the above. Good stuff man! Carry-on "bubba". You seem to hate deer-hunter stereo types, but do little to change them.

I was being a little tongue in cheek(characterized by insincerity, irony, or whimsical exaggeration)

The way deer hunters are bashed for their shooting skills is crazy.  Most on this board probably do both types of shooting.  I was just being a jerk to make a point.  

Everyone who "deer-hunter" stereotypes seems to be a high-master marksman.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:52:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I am a deer hunter and I realized that there are alot of assh@le "hunters" out there. Last weekend I took my rifle which is a plain old 700 Sendero and shot at 100yds. Took three shots and allowed it to cool down. While I waited for it to cool I went to my truck and got my 16" Bushmaster A2 and started shooting at the target next to the one I just shot with my Sendero. Well the group of "hunters"with there Accumarks and high dollar scopes looked at me with disguest. They all started mumbling crap about it being an M16. Well wish it was.
Well it did not bother me since my grouping with my A2 which sucked "about 8-10 inch group" was just as good or better then how they were shooting.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Is it bad form to quote myself?

Here at this board we battle rifle enthusiasts are worried about our hunting counter-parts abandoning us when it comes to the 2nd Amendment and then you have members here bragging about doing their best to offend that group at the range. Way to set us up for success in our fight to keep our part of the sport legal guys, bravo zulu.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:00:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:02:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Is it bad form to quote myself?

Here at this board we battle rifle enthusiasts are worried about our hunting counter-parts abandoning us when it comes to the 2nd Amendment and then you have members here bragging about doing their best to offend that group at the range. Way to set us up for success in our fight to keep our part of the sport legal guys, bravo zulu.

I dont try to offend them, actually I go out of my way not to. I have to leave my FAL at home when I go to deer camp. I try to educate them and let them know that these rifles are no different than thier Remington 7400, a powerful semi-auto ... a good hunting rifle that offers a quick follow-up if needed.

I reserve the right voice my disgust when I dont get the same consideration.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:02:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't I know it.  Went out yesterday and EVERY station was occupied by some hunter with a BLACK POWDER rifle.  I've never seen that many BP guys in one place before.  The part that was irritating was, we had 1 cease fire in an hour.  Typical sequence, take 1 minute to load, .003 seconds to fire, then 4 minutes to clean.  Repeat 12 times before changing targets.  MJD
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:05:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
you know not to stick up for some of  "lesser"' gun savy hunters out there that only shoot twice a year before season, but ive seen more wanna be seal types do stupid shit than hunters,,, sorry,but they are at the range more and always show up with anew fangled ar/ak something or other and do something stupid like walk rounds to atarget while commenting on how no terrosit would dare fuck with them. or doing rapid fire at 100yrds spraying everyone elses targets//

chevy ford,,my dogs bigger blah blah,,,, plentyof fuck up to go around these days..... go to the local fun show,,,,, i dont need to say anymore!

Oh, you mean Tactical Teddy's.........go to
www.thegunzone.com and scroll down to The Tactical Teddy....very funny and I get the idea they are not talking about a doll....lol
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
home.mchsi.com/~quickshok2/Fed_TruBall.jpg

Deer slugs and bead sights.  Bambi gonna get some.

Shok

Diffinately close enough to knock down a deer.  Do you have it sighted in to fire high at 25 yards?  I sight my rifle in so that when I'm aiming dead on it's an inch or two high at a 100 yards.  Were you pulling a little to the left?

Patty

Fed TruBall 2 3/4" 1600fps
Win 1300
26" smoothbore with fixed bead sights
Improved choke

Point of aim was bullseye every shot, and in standing position.  These deer slugs shoot pretty flat to 100 yards.

I don't know if its me or the recoil but I'm always hitting left with slugs.  Its even worse with 3" slugs.

Shok
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:09:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I noticed my range was more busy than usual, you don't see the deer guys the other 11 months of the year.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The horror.  During hunting season I had to avoid the range during weekends for fear of being shot by some idiot trying to zero his rifle, most of them have no clue about range safety.

Indeed.

Their rifle gets pulled out once a year to be "sighted in" and then they go back into their holes.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:19:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I guess all deer hunters are inept, "Elmer Fudd" types, in plaid flannel shirts - just like the rest of us are cop hating, arsenal owning, dangerous, pistol packing, gun happy psychos, eh?

"We must all hang together, or we will all hang seperately" - Benjamin Franklin

PS - Grow up and learn to deal with the ignorance in a healthy manner; or even better - take the time and effort to help out your fellow american gun owners become less ignorant.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:23:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:31:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shok

Diffinately close enough to knock down a deer.  Do you have it sighted in to fire high at 25 yards?  I sight my rifle in so that when I'm aiming dead on it's an inch or two high at a 100 yards.  Were you pulling a little to the left?

Patty

Win 1300
Improved choke

Point of aim was bullseye every shot, and in standing position.  These deer slugs shoot pretty flat to 100 yards.

I don't know if its me or the recoil but I'm always hitting left with slugs.  Its even worse with 3" slugs.

Shok

Who knows.  Most likely the dern slugs.  I would be interested in the projectory of one.  It must take a heck of a force to kick them out like that.  Patty
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:34:47 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Be alert.

Be vigilant.

Be ready to take cover.

Be prepared to yell,"Keep your hands off your guns while people are downrange!"

Yep, had to do that last year.  Guy sat down at a bench, picked up a rifle and actually sighted down range.  After I yelled he said,  "Don't worry I wasn't going to shoot."
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:37:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#29]

I learned never to judge a man or  his shooting ability based on the weapon he is using.   I have seen good shots outshoot me with a "cheap" rifle and I have  been able to shoot rings around others with rifles and optics that cost  5 times as much as mine.

I shoot at a historically black.......powder range and a lot of guys that shoot BP there compete as well.  Amazing how well some of them shoot with BP and iron sights.

From my limited observation at my range, both the bolt guys and BP guys out-shoot the military style guys 10  to 1.

I am glad I can enjoy shooting my BP rifle, my AR, my 22's, my 416 Rigby, my 7mm-08 bolt, my Colt SAA, my AK, my 1911, and others AND enjoy  conversing about  all of them with  those I meet at the range in a reasonably competent and pleasant manner.  

Too bad many of you are too hung up on one style of shooting.  There is a lot more to shooting than AR's and cool looking drop leg holsters for your uber tactical .45.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#30]
I think there's a lot of "miscommunication" going on here. Far be it from me to assume that every guy with a bolt rifle can't shoot. I don't think anyone has made that statement. The guys we're referring to are the ones who take very little or no interest in honing/maintaining their shooting skills until just before deer season. C'mon... we've all seen these kind of people show-up at the range. These are the people that are being referred to, not ALL deer hunters. My range is empty/sparse most of the year, until deer season and then it's hard to find a bench to shoot from. I generally just avoid the range for the months of Sept, Oct, and part of Nov. I think there are probably VERY FEW members of this board who only shoot "uber tactical" firearms. I don't even hunt, but I get just as much pleasure out of shooting well with my Interarms Mk X (Mauser) .30-06 or Ruger M77 MkII .223 bolt rifles as I do my AR-15 (well... ALMOST as much).
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#33]
I just hate the guy who screams at someone for raining a little 9mm brass on him, and then proceeds to whip hot 300 win mag cases into my wife's back.

It's a fucking public range. Hot brass is a hazard, so don't scream at someone for doing what you are doing yourself...

At Rio, we sometimes get a mix of the once-a-year marksman, and non-english speakers. That's exciting!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Damn. I'm glad that I belong to a private range where 99.9% of the time I have the whole place to myself.

I am a deer hunter too, but not like the ones some of you guys have been talking about. While I haven't shot my bolt-action "deer rifle" this year, I have done all kinds of shooting with everything else.

In the four years that I've been a member of the range I spoke of, I've only gotten pissed at someone once. It was just after deer season last year when this older man showed up wanting to make sure his rifle still sighted-in after he let somone borrow it. I was the only person there, but apparently he didn't want me there. He just stood behing me leaning on his truck while I was shooting my Colt HBAR. I told him to go ahead and do what he wanted that he wasn't going to bother me. "No, Ill just wait on you to finish." I had just gotten there and wasn't going to leave. Keep in mind that this range is big enough for several people to shoot and not even be close to each other. Everytime I said something about him going ahead and shooting he would just repeat "I'll wait until you're finished". I finally told him that I wasn't going to leave anytime soon. I could tell it pissed him off. He reluctantly got his stuff out and proceeded to shoot maybe one round every ten minutes.

I wasn't rude to this guy in the least but he did aggravate me. I didn't let on though, I just kept shooting.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shok

Patty

Win 1300
Improved choke

Shok

Who knows.  Most likely the dern slugs.  I would be interested in the projectory of one.  It must take a heck of a force to kick them out like that.  Patty

Muzzle energy 2490 ft/lbs @1600fps.

Bullet drop
25yards +1.8
50yards +2.8
75yards +2.4
100yards 0
125yards -4.6

Shok
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Interestingly, I go to the range quite often during the year.

Hmph...

I guess you don't mean deer hunters like me who also own Title II items??
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Be alert.

Be vigilant.

Be ready to take cover.

Be prepared to yell, "Keep your hands off your guns while people are downrange!"

Oh god I hate them.

That rifles for terrorrists.

or

What are you gonna hunt with that, a dinosaur?

or

Why would you want a .30/06 pistol?

"It's people like you that give the politicans an excuse to take all our guns away".
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Never assume anything about anybody. I deer hunt, yes I will be going to the range to make sure my scope is still where I want it. But, I also will put 300-400 rounds down range with one of my M4's.

What I am saying is all deer hunters are not stupid, rednecks, who have NO clue about safety.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
What I am saying is all deer hunters are not stupid, rednecks, who have NO clue about safety.

But then again, some of us are deer hunters, rednecks and yet we still volunteer to RO at our local range during this busy time of the year.

I like the term "Range Nazi"

Gotta be firm but fair this time of the year.  1 Warning, then you are gone!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Be prepared to yell, "Keep your hands off your guns while people are downrange!"

Funny you should bring that up. I was at the range just yesterday and two "hunters" were trying to sight-in their guns. I beleive they had to be reminded more than once to "stay behind the white line" during a cease-fire.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Time to get out my "Who Said Anything About Hunting Deer?" T-Shirt.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I guess all deer hunters are inept, "Elmer Fudd" types, in plaid flannel shirts - just like the rest of us are cop hating, arsenal owning, dangerous, pistol packing, gun happy psychos, eh?

"We must all hang together, or we will all hang seperately" - Benjamin Franklin

PS - Grow up and learn to deal with the ignorance in a healthy manner; or even better - take the time and effort to help out your fellow american gun owners become less ignorant.

Already tried to help them become less ignorant, you can lead a horse to water.....

Now i don't bother with them. The same guys that give me shit for hunting with an AR15 or an AK give me shit for hunting with a "sniper rifle" if I pull out my 308. Fuckum' if they want to stay ignorant about shit let them. The funny thing is that where they hunt thier 24-26in barreled 300 win mags and 7mm mags are over kill and total bitches to carry around because of vegitation. They bitch about them every year and when I say hey get an AK and why they should think about it they just say those ain't hunting guns. Even funnier is that none of them have taken a deer at over 150 yards ever out of all three of these idiots. An AK will be just fine for that range. So if they want to stay ignorant thats thier choice, but I don't expect and won't take any shit from them about my choice in guns that I use for hunting. I take the best tool for the job at hand, if that means an AR that means an AR. If it means taking the 06 I take that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#43]
LOL...yall crack me up, how stereotypical, i hunt AND shoot my AR, shit..i hunt w/ my AR sometimes!!

[Robbie from Joe Dirt]HOW BOUT A WAMBURGER AND SOME FRENCH CRIES!!!........DEF LEOPARD SUCKS!!!![/Robbie]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Too bad many of you are too hung up on one style of shooting.  There is a lot more to shooting than AR's and cool looking drop leg holsters for your uber tactical .45.  

Has nothing to do with style of shooting and everything to do with respec6t. I have great conversations with folks who shoot all sorts of different shooting sports from Highpower to SASS. But the "hunters" are by far the worst. Most of them start in with disrespectful shit right away at only the sight of a non-PC gun. Basicly my outlook on it all is, don't start no shit, won't be no shit. I see this with members of my own gun club no matter what time of year it is. It's thier personaly held stereotypes of the guns and the shooters of those guns that creates most of the static because they don't like them and they will let you know.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
LOL...yall crack me up, how stereotypical, i hunt AND shoot my AR, shit..i hunt w/ my AR sometimes!!

[Robbie from Joe Dirt]HOW BOUT A WAMBURGER AND SOME FRENCH CRIES!!!........DEF LEOPARD SUCKS!!!![/Robbie]

Yah and as such you are not part of the "only go to the range right before deer season, don't touch the gun till next deer season type. As most of us here are also not in that catagory since we spend more time then that at the range actually improving and keeping our shooting skills.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yah and as such you are not part of the "only go to the range right before deer season, don't touch the gun till next deer season type. As most of us here are also not in that catagory since we spend more time then that at the range actually improving and keeping our shooting skills.

valid, although, i really cant say i know any guys like that that are hunters......where i grew up (south Texas) everyone that was a hunter, was also an avid collector and shooter of various firearms.  so to me, this "hunters disrupt the range flow" is a strange concept to me.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I heard just yesterday ... "you legal with all that?"

"None of your fucking business."
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Well, My 12 YO son and I (Deer hunters) were at the range on Sunday.  I sure hope I didn't fuck it up for anyone wearing a black suit.

I shot one of my deer rifles 3 times at 100 yards, dead on, less than one inch group. So that's enough for me.  Oh, I hadn't shot that particular rifle since last year, so arrest me, mkay?

I then shot three rounds with the Black Powder gun, and what do ya know?  It was right on as well.

My son shot his slug gun at 100 yards, then at 50 yards.  We shot some bolt action 22, then brought out 2 ARs and shot those for a while.

It takes two to tango.  Most folks I know that have never shot an AR, know little to nothing about them.  I have found if I let foks fondle the ARs, and show them how they work, and the cool stuff you can do to customize them, I have created a convert.

Try it, you might be suprised.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I heard just yesterday ... "you legal with all that?"

"None of your fucking business."

"well, i DO have to register my hands as deadly weapons....but thats another story"
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

valid, although, i really cant say i know any guys like that that are hunters......where i grew up (south Texas) everyone that was a hunter, was also an avid collector and shooter of various firearms.  so to me, this "hunters disrupt the range flow" is a strange concept to me.  

See round here we have several catagories of "hunters"
We have

"Deer hunters"-only hunt deer, if it ain't a bolt gun, lever gun or a shotgun it's useless and you can't hunt with it and the second amendment doesn't cover anything else but what you can hunt with. They don't like ARs and AKs and will let you know, and no they don't want to shoot it or touch it, it might make them do something bad. Very few of them are not like this. But the majority are.

"hunters"-they hunt anything whats huntable- Most of them own a couple guns, usually one or two "deer guns" and shot gun or three and something for small game. Pretty nice guys for the most part, they may not see a need for an AR or AK, and some may be dicks about letting you know that even if you don't ask, but a lot of them are cool to, it's not for them but they won't knock and AR or AK and will sure play with it if you offer it to them to play with. It's just not thier cup of tea.

"Duck hunters"-only hunt ducks and/or geese not much to say about these guys, if it's not a shotgun it's usually not thier thing and they could give two shits if it gets banned or not.

"Gun nut hunters"- Hunt spesific types of game, or hunt all game thats huntable or any amount in between. Also like all guns and have a pretty good knowledge of various guns. They understand that guns are like tools and that if all you have is a hammer everything starts to look like a nail after a while. You will find amongst thier collections firearms more traditionaly thought of as hunting guns and those that are more traditionaly thought of as evil terror causing killing machines with minds of their own. You will find this hunter in the woods with a gun that most suits thier needs for that particular hunt, that may including the non traditional types of guns.

I could break this down to "types of gun owners" around here but I won't it could get ugly if I do.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top