User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know a guy who traded his car in without cleaning it out as well as he should have. A few days later the dealership called up in a panic and said they needed him to come down ASAP! Turns out he left a pistol under the seat.

Not to Hijack this thread too much, but...

How the hell does anyone leave a pistol anywhere without knowing it?  

I can understand rings and chains and stuff like that.  Maybe even money - but a firearm?  I know where all my firearms are whether it's the .40 in the car, the extra AR at dad's, the .357 in my bedroom, the .40 in the livingroom, etc., etc.????  

You OBVIOUSLY don't have enough guns!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ok look at it from the other view point.  What if ya bought a used car and found a bunch of worthless crap in it.  Would ya tell the previous owner??  Once you take possession of something whatever it contains is yours also.  Keep it.  

EXACTLY

Travis
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think you know what the right thing is to do. Return it.

Think of it this way. What if it belonged to Jesus?

That would be one old ass car.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
4.) Posting comments in support of illegal activities

Loser

Get over it

Travis
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Wasnt there a story about a guy who bought a car at a gov auction and later was found to have a bunch of drugs in it?
He eventually beat the charges I think.

Yes he got caught coming across the border with a large amt of drugs hidden inside the cars body panels. Turned out the car had been seized from a drug runner and sold at auction. When the cops got the car the took out the drugs that were loose in the vehicle and then for some reason didn't look any deeper. I think it was the border patrol both times. And the guy did get off but he was pretty damn lucky it wasn't the mexico cops that caught him.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think you know what the right thing is to do. Return it.

That would be one old ass car.

and if it's still running, you know it ain't a General Motors car
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If it was person to person trade & there was something obviously valuable and overlooked found in the vehicle, of course I would return it.   You'd be a dirtbag if you didn't.  

For sure.

Are you a thief (theft takes many, many forms) or are you a man of integrity?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wasnt there a story about a guy who bought a car at a gov auction and later was found to have a bunch of drugs in it?
He eventually beat the charges I think.

Yes he got caught coming across the border with a large amt of drugs hidden inside the cars body panels. Turned out the car had been seized from a drug runner and sold at auction. When the cops got the car the took out the drugs that were loose in the vehicle and then for some reason didn't look any deeper. I think it was the border patrol both times. And the guy did get off but he was pretty damn lucky it wasn't the mexico cops that caught him.

Not too long ago there was a case (IIRC) where a woman had bought a seized car at a .gov auction.  Took it to a mechanic because it wasn't running right.....mechanic found something like $100 grand hidden in the gas tank!  .Gov heard about it & re-seized the car & money.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a friend that worked for a rental car company.  One of the cars from his office was rented by some young guys who then used it to rob a store.  They abandoned the car, and it was eventually returned to his office, the interior covered in fingerprint powder.  My friend had to clean it up, and when he opened the trunk to make sure there wasn't a mess in there he found...a sawed off shotgun.
The cops sure did a bang up job of searching that car!  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If it was person to person trade & there was something obviously valuable and overlooked found in the vehicle, of course I would return it.   You'd be a dirtbag if you didn't.  

For sure.

Matthew 13:44"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field."

Seems like the treasure went with the field...
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, Jesus gave his LIFE for me. I dont think hes gonna get too bent out of shape if I keep his 50 bucks......

Classic, simply classic.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For sure.

Matthew 13:44"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field."

Genesis 44:8 We even brought back to you from the land of Canaan the silver we found inside the mouths of our sacks...

Seems like when you find property that doesn't belong to you the right thing to do is to return it to the rightful owner whenever possible.

Do you want to trade Scripture back and forth for eternity?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#14]
As is means As is.  I found a spyderco in the glove box of a used tempo once.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Genesis 44:8 We even brought back to you from the land of Canaan the silver we found inside the mouths of our sacks...

Seems like when you find property that doesn't belong to you the right thing to do is to return it to the rightful owner whenever possible.

The difference being that the silver wa obviously placed there, and they went back to clear their names (so they wouldn't be accused of stealing it).  Otherwise they lose Benjamin.
That passage has nothing to do with lost, abandoned, or found property.

When someone delivers something to you, then all of the "thing" he delivers is yours.  End of story.
I would be a nice guy, and offer back anything I thought might have been left by accident; but I don't have to.  He messed up and sold it too.

I don't understand your last question at all.  I don't remember saying that I did...

Larry
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
4.) Posting comments in support of illegal activities

Loser

Get over it

Travis

The personal attack really wasn't necessary. Unless you KNOW one of the people who'd be a recipient of said "illegal activity"...shut yer yap.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#18]
You bought it and payed for it, it and everything in it is yours, as is. Move on and don't look back.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Return it. It is the right thing to do.

This nation is becoming soooo ethically and morally challenged.

How about lazy for not cleaning out their fucking car when they sell it?? As stated above by another poster, ppl. leave Glocks and hundreds of dollars in cars...they are idiots...plain and simple...

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For sure.

I thought NT trumps OT?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#21]
My car had a can of stating fluid some clothes and dentral records in it when I got it
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My car had a can of stating fluid some clothes and dentral records in it when I got it

At least you won't have problems identifying the owner.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#23]
My uncle bought a 90' Crown Vic police car, that had an Ithica riot gun in the trunk. He gave it back.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Another twist... Say you buy an older house, and in the attic, you find an antique chair, which turns out to be quite valuable. Do you track down every former owner of the house, or their heirs, to give away something they didn't know about in the first place? How do you determine which former owner the chair belonged to?

Nope! It's yours.

Bob

I know a guy who found $20,000 in an attic above his newly purchased garage.

He ran his mouth about it and the old owners found out.

I guess it was their Grandpa's stash. All old $20's, he ended up splitting it with them.

A guy I know had an elderly aunt that lived alone. After she died he was designated by the rest of the family to clean her house and prepare it for sale. He was shocked to find a thin stack of one-hundred dollar bills wrapped neatly in a paper towel stuffed in the far corner of a kitchen cabinet behind boxes of cereal. As he continued to search the house he found more money, neatly wrapped in newspaper, aluminum foil, or sealed in sandwich bags. The amount in each package varied but they were all one-hundred dollar bills.

When he was done he had found over $30,000. The bills were dated from the 1930s all the way through to the late 80s. A couple of years have passed since then and he's still not sure if he found all of it. Not sure if the rest of his family knew of the money or not, but I know he enjoyed spending it!

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I bought my latest vehicle off of my BEST friend, Charlie. I found the Wal_Mart Gift card he said he had lost (not IN the vehicle - still) and EVEN THOUGH we "cleaned it out" before I took "posession" of it, I STILL found I dunno, a LOT of $$ in change (came in handy a couple of times too, when I went to the store for cat food an forgot my wallet I used the rest of the card (he had used most of it) and gave him the $ on the card in CASH ($23.61 I think) and the $40 something from the car (as I found it - didn't always find it "all at once").

Now HONESTLY, had it been a STRANGER I would NOT have "bothered" returning it. Had it been $5,000 or something as others have mentioned, HTF do I know it was the PREVIOUS owner and not the PREVIOU, PREVIOS owner? I'd still PREFER to get it back to who it belongs, but I wouldn't say, "Hey, did you maybe leave 5 grand in the car by accident?"

Instead I'd ask if they had noticed anything "absent" (besides the vehicle) since they sold me the car. Beat around the bush, if they say, "Well, some $$ yeah, but it wasn't in the car." I'd ask how much? etc, try to "lead" w/o leading them DIRECTLY.  If they came up w/the correct answers... it'd be theirs again. And DEFINITLY they'd get it back (if they could identify it) if it were jewlery or anything that might "mean" something to them. But a "ring" wouldn't "do" it, type of metal, type of stone, basic shape - sure. I'd NOT say, "Was it an Amethyst stone?" but rather, "did it have a stone or setting?" etc..

Of course if they were a JERK they wouldn't be contacted about the $$$ - but I'd probably still inquire if they had lost any jewlery - or whatever I had found. But the $? Cost of being a jerk.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#26]
you own it
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#27]
if the car had a problem after you bought it would you go back to the owner?

if it was something of sentamental value I would bring it back.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top