User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Update we went and had a great time.

Watch that trigger!!!  I'm assuming that's your friend, not you...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:42:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
And if you don't teach him to bumpfire that AR, you haven't done your duty!!!!!

and its funny that I understand the Barrels fo AR's are the restricted piece in GBR..righto???

Not quite right.
All 'gun parts' are controlled, to varying degrees, and the list is shorter than the corresponding list of 'gun parts' as issued by the State Dept when it comes to export licencing.

We can have rifles (if the barrel is 12"+) with sound moderators no problems (as long as you are not prohibited (ie criminal etc), but most people believe the blinkered view given out by the popular press that the UK shooting scene is dead/prohibited/not allowed etc.

If your guy wants to shoot in the UK (and even 50cal, 20mm + are OK if you can find a range suitable) then all he has to do is make a serious search and there'll be any number of clubs within a few mile of his home town (where ever in the UK he lives). Most clubs would welcome 'new-blood' with open arms (and those that don't aren't worth joining!).

Matt
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:48:28 AM EDT
[#3]

oops, double post.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:57:19 AM EDT
[#4]
terrible trigger discipline
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:57:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
^
^
^
|
|
|
That is for people wishing to bring their own firearms into the US or for those wanting to borrow them.
If he is in the company of a US citizen and is just shooting their firearms, then it's no problem.
I know, I've done it.

How do you think those tourist shooting ranges work??

On a side note...why even bring this up .
If SigSaurP228 wants to take his friend shooting, then that's his business, and good luck to them.

There is another thread in the Ammo forum anout the US turning into a nation of snitches.
Hope that really isn't the case

Mark

No shit.. That is nit picking, letter of the law, stereotypical lawyer crap.  So some limey comes to the states and shoots some guns at a range.  No harm, no foul.  Nothing like destroying the spirit of something by shackling it in rigidity of trifleness.

PS. sorry for bad grammer.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:06:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
He apparently loves airsoft because it is the closest that he can get to the real deal.  Apparently he has spent Hundreds of dollars on an Airsoft Sniper rifle, and wants to feel the recoil of a real rifle have
Remington 700 in '06 for recoil

Mossberg 590 da1 with Birdshot and a couple of 3 inch magnum slugs for fun. HK
Glock 40  

Wake up you idiot.  I see fingers inside trigger guards.  Where is your head? Teach, instruct and mentor safety.  That is very poor form. Get your range safety organised.  Learn from this and teach your friends basic firearms safety BEFORE they play on the range.

Do you guys think I am leaving anything out?

Update we went and had a great time.

i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/SigSaurP228/030aab4c.jpg

i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/SigSaurP228/7100c4e5.jpg

i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/SigSaurP228/d426f345.jpg
i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/SigSaurP228/7a9be8c6.jpg
i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/SigSaurP228/417dca03.jpg
i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/SigSaurP228/86deca03.jpg
i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/SigSaurP228/67f027a5.jpg

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:36:29 AM EDT
[#7]
One of my brothers was over from the UK the beginning of September, he arrived September 3rd at about 10.48pm. We got back to my place and ran him through the safe handling of firearms, had him down at Millers the next day with a few Ohio ARFcom members. He had a good time and looks to be out here in a couple of years.
I moved over here in 96 and a brother that lives in Indiana came out here in 98.

I'm guessing your buddy is the guy on the right with his finger on the trigger?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I am the one behind the camera and I lectured on trigger discipline many times last night I just couldn't get ti through their head I personally made sure that all weapons were empty before the last pic.  I shot all of the remaining rounds. Actually this was both of those guys first time handling firearms.  As well as the cute chick, she is brittish as well.  The smaller girl that is.  She was a real trooper and recoil junky.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Forget the finger on the trigger, if that is a guy he needs a haircut.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Forget the finger on the trigger, if that is a guy he needs a haircut.....

Neil???????

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe no-one teaches themm to keep their fingers off the trigger at the Airsoft club

Mark
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Maybe no-one teaches themm to keep their fingers off the trigger at the Airsoft club

Mark

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have taken family members and friends visiting from England out shooting (before I knew about this). These days I might be tempted to get hunting licenses - the only thing that makes that a bit problematic is the profiteering by OR when it comes to licenses for out of state people.

IIRC, the hunting licence doesn't have to be from OR (as long as you don't want to hunt in OR - and let's face it, who'd let a complete tyro out hunting?). A Florida one is cheap and available over the internet.

I looked up the law. It says:

(2) Exceptions.— Subsections (d)(5)(B), (g)(5)(B), and (s)(3)(B)(v)(II) do not apply to any alien who has been lawfully admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa, if that alien is—

(A) admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes or is in possession of a  hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States;
  (B) an official representative of a foreign government who is—
     (i) accredited to the United States Government or the Government’s mission to an international organization having its headquarters in the United States; or
     (ii) en route to or from another country to which that alien is accredited;
  (C) an official of a foreign government or a distinguished foreign visitor who has been so designated by the Department of State; or
  (D) a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.

So, yes, you are right - looks like a cheap FL hunting license is all that is required.

Thanks - you saved me some money
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark

they can buy firearms there, I walked into a gun store there a few years ago, they also had suppressors there too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Last time I came over I had to do the hunting license thing, even though I was bringing my own rifle and had an official invite to a recognised competition.
When I sent the application to the State Dept. along with a copy of the invite and program, they initially rejected it and told me I needed a hunting license.
The Florida one can be had online, along with the Maine one, and that allowed me to hunt Bear.

All gun laws are daft

Mark
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
^
^
^
|
|
|
That is for people wishing to bring their own firearms into the US or for those wanting to borrow them.
If he is in the company of a US citizen and is just shooting their firearms, then it's no problem.
I know, I've done it.

How do you think those tourist shooting ranges work??

On a side note...why even bring this up .
If SigSaurP228 wants to take his friend shooting, then that's his business, and good luck to them.

There is another thread in the Ammo forum anout the US turning into a nation of snitches.
Hope that really isn't the case

Mark

I REALLY object to your insinuation of being a snitch.
Keep you mindless comments to yourself.

As for the law - go read it. It does apply.

It is based upon exactly the same section that makes it illegal for a convicted felon to possess agun - and if you check case law, just having a single unfired cartrige in his posession is enouh to convict a felon of possession - the same would apply to a non resident alien, and the same penalties would apply to the person who provided that cartrige as would apply if he provided it to a convicted felon.

The fact that it has not so far been applied doesn't make it any the less the law - do you want to be the first test case?

The reason for bringing this up is so that anyone that wants to can take the simple peventative measure of buying a hunting license -- then there is no problem.

That law is ABSOLUTELY NOT about people bringing their own firearms into the country -- ]must go look for some random thread about the US turing into a country of know-it-alls who actually don't know shit.....]

-------------

US Code, Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 44, Section 922
Otherwise know as the Gun Control Act -- amended in 1998 to include several new provisions, including the criminalization of non-immigrant aliens in posession of firearms.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey UK guys, out of curiousity how much would a typical M4gery cost over there? Are the weapons more expensive or is the licensing, just trying to get some idea.

I come to the UK 2-3 times a year and had no idea that you guys could own modern, functional AR type rifles.

Most of the folks I work with over there (UK citizens) are shocked that I own firearms so forgive us on this side of the Atlantic from being a little surprised also.

Next time I'm over it'd be cool to meet up with some of y'all.

-Observer
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No shit.. That is nit picking, letter of the law, stereotypical lawyer crap.  So some limey comes to the states and shoots some guns at a range.  No harm, no foul.  Nothing like destroying the spirit of something by shackling it in rigidity of trifleness.

PS. sorry for bad grammer.

Just because you think so doesn't make it so.
Continue along your path of ignorance if you wish, but don't drag others into prision with you.

I suspect your "no harm, no foul" defense might get a day knocked off your (10 year) sentence for brightening up the judges day.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#19]
They cost about the same in ££ that they cost in $$.
Buying stuff from then US is good at the moment with the exchange rate, but by the time you add shipping and duty, it works out about the same.

A std M4gery  type rifle is about £850

Mark

ps, if you do come over....don't forget to bring that wife of yours

Mark
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Hey UK guys, out of curiousity how much would a typical M4gery cost over there? Are the weapons more expensive or is the licensing, just trying to get some idea.

I come to the UK 2-3 times a year and had no idea that you guys could own modern, functional AR type rifles.

Most of the folks I work with over there (UK citizens) are shocked that I own firearms so forgive us on this side of the Atlantic from being a little surprised also.

-Observer

Remember that they are NOT fully functional. The gas system is removed - they are single shot only.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Observer

Remember that they are NOT fully functional. The gas system is removed - they are single shot only.

Yep, the world is full of stupid gun laws

mark
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Just because you think so doesn't make it so.
Continue along your path of ignorance if you wish, but don't drag others into prision with you.

I suspect your "no harm, no foul" defense might get a day knocked off your (10 year) sentence for brightening up the judges day.

My point is though it is against the letter of the law, the law is wrong.  

And why is it everything most people here disagree they like to start insulting the one they disagree with.  Just make counter-point and be done.  Flinging poo is for monkeys (the opening volley anyways )
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Of course it works the other way too.
Visitors can't just come to Britain and borrow a firearm either.
You need a visitors permit. (easy to get though)
You have to be hunting or shooting competitively

Mark
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Erm... gotta teach trigger finger discipline (first pic)
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
OJNTSA

The last person I took shooting was an American from this site. ( We had a great time)
He got to shoot My AR. In  the UK ?   I hear you ask....YES  !!!   in the UK.

I never make comments or judgements about American Law because I know how diverse and complicated the laws are across the whole country. ( I even started a thread so I could understand your laws better)

Why do people keep assuming guns are banned in the UK....Let Google be your friend...
Limited and heavily restricted but none the less we have them and we shoot them.

www.hunt101.com/img/313363.JPG

Regards
Taffy

Damn.  That makes me smile.  Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm obviously not a lawyer, but from looking at some legal dictionaries I don't think this law applies in this case at all.  The key seems to be the definition of "possession".  The law says "prohibited from possessing or receiving (purchasing) firearms".  Receiving is clearly defined as purchasing, not simply "being handed a gun by it's legal owner".  Possession in the legal dictionaries is defined as direct physical custody, care, and control of property.  The alien is not in actual care, custody or real control of the firearm, as the owner is maintaining all of those while observing the alien fire it in his direct presence.  Essentially, as long as the owner is with the alien and maintaing control over the gun, the gun is in the care of the owner.  To my understanding, this is why the gun rental places can do what they do in renting pistols without background checks- the gun is always in the actual control of the legal owners, not of the shooter.  Same for allowing your kid to shoot a gun he's legally too young to own, as long as he's with you it's OK because the gun is in your actual control.

Also, looks like they all had fun!  I love taking out first time shooters.  .45/70s and .44 mags all around!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#27]
waiting for the botd
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have taken family members and friends visiting from England out shooting (before I knew about this). These days I might be tempted to get hunting licenses - the only thing that makes that a bit problematic is the profiteering by OR when it comes to licenses for out of state people.

IIRC, the hunting licence doesn't have to be from OR (as long as you don't want to hunt in OR - and let's face it, who'd let a complete tyro out hunting?). A Florida one is cheap and available over the internet.

I looked up the law. It says:

(2) Exceptions.— Subsections (d)(5)(B), (g)(5)(B), and (s)(3)(B)(v)(II) do not apply to any alien who has been lawfully admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa, if that alien is—

(A) admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes or is in possession of a  hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States;
  (B) an official representative of a foreign government who is—
     (i) accredited to the United States Government or the Government’s mission to an international organization having its headquarters in the United States; or
     (ii) en route to or from another country to which that alien is accredited;
  (C) an official of a foreign government or a distinguished foreign visitor who has been so designated by the Department of State; or
  (D) a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.

So, yes, you are right - looks like a cheap FL hunting license is all that is required.

Thanks - you saved me some money

Not even the FL hunting license is required. Article 2, section A:
"admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes or is in possession of a  hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States; "

Sporting purposes, in the sentence above, is an option seperate from hunting and seperate from having a hunting license. Target shooting is an example of a sporting purpose other than hunting.

"The Second Amendment is not about duck hunting."
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

If your guy wants to shoot in the UK (and even 50cal, 20mm + are OK if you can find a range suitable) then all he has to do is make a serious search and there'll be any number of clubs within a few mile of his home town (where ever in the UK he lives). Most clubs would welcome 'new-blood' with open arms (and those that don't aren't worth joining!).

Matt

There's a ton of people here in the US that think you need a permit to own a gun and that full-autos are illegal.

People with these types of misconceptions need someone to literally take them by the hand and introduce them to the available resources. We call this "mentoring".

Would one of you kind British gentlemen care to email SigSaurP228 and get contact info for these young people? They sound like they could use a hand.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:00:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
terrible trigger discipline

That caught my eye immediately . Isnt that dude in Hanson?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#31]
When my back aint throbbing like a damn toothache,I work part time in a gunstore to support my gun habit.A few years ago(actually like 6yrs ago I think) Pres Bubba Clinton and the prime minister of Isreal and PM of syria had a sitdown on the sheperd college near here.The secret service came into the store and told us we could sell ammo to the isreal body guards and sell them guns if we got state department approval(we looked into it,it would have been more of a headache than money we would have made.Shame too,they were facinated with mossburg 835 shotties in 12 ga 3 1/2 mag)but under no terms could we even let someone from the syrian contingent so much as handle a firearm.

PS,any of my brothers from another mother that live across the atlantic ocean make it to my neck of the woods( D.C. metro area) shoot me a PM,I will take you to the range I am a member of and let you shoot anything I own.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
waiting for the botd

Me too.

Why we need a BOTD warning for range trip pics that just incidentally show fully clothed women is beyond me.

That says something...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
waiting for the botd

+1
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

There's a ton of people here in the US that think you need a permit to own a gun and that full-autos are illegal.

People with these types of misconceptions need someone to literally take them by the hand and introduce them to the available resources. We call this "mentoring".

Would one of you kind British gentlemen care to email SigSaurP228 and get contact info for these young people? They sound like they could use a hand.

All the UK shooters in the UK forum are a great bunch of guys and this "mentoring " is not out of the question. I think we are all Team members now. I tjust depends on where he lives. If he posted in the UK forum part of the site he'd get all the help he could ask for. He'd have the laws pointed out to him and the nearest gun club worthy of joining.

I'd think there would only be one stipulation

That dude is gonna need to have a haircut

Cheers
Taffy
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#35]
There is no BOTD in this thread, to suggest that there is makes you a thread whore.

Please remove the BOTD from the topic line as there is a certain amount of BOTD threads that can exist on the site at any one time, and this thread is keeping some real eye candy from being posted on another thread.

Temporary BOTD nazi
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Yup, i've been waiting for the BOTD material.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:13:50 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

done
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:37:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Would one of you kind British gentlemen care to email SigSaurP228 and get contact info for these young people? They sound like they could use a hand Haircut.

Fixed it for ya

Mark
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:40:19 AM EDT
[#39]
ok where is the botd?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:17:56 AM EDT
[#40]
No PPK to be found?
Could of had him do the Bond, James Bond line
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:32:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
ok where is the botd?

???????????
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top