Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with LG - I was just at the store yesterday upgrading my plan (300 more minutes for the exact same price) and inquired what all the people there use. They use LGs and they have fewer problems with the LGs.

I've had mine for close to 3 years now and it's still going great despite being dropped a few times  ( woops). When I was there getting that one I was originally going to go with a Motorola (since I'd heard good things about Moto phones). The sales guy says "Mmmm, I'd say go with the LG, fewer problems than the Moto". He has been right.

JMHO and personal experience.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What nobody goes for the plain jane Motorola V60s anymore?

No camera, no color, batteries last for at least 3+ days if you don't live on it. Speakerphone, voice activated dial.

No frills, just a damn phone. Lord I hate all the gadgets they keep loading up on these things today. My company and most I may walk into these days ban Camera phones. Not doing you much good if the thing is left at the guard desk now is it? And some companies, like mine really do enforce the no camera thing, they'll actually ask to see the phone if you claim not to have one. Don't want to show them, leave it at the desk? Well, no entry for you!

Battery life, weight, ease of use and reception quality matters to me. I've got cameras, MP3 players, PDAs if I want one, I'll use it.

Freakin' phones these days are worse than some AR15s I see, loaded up with trinkets and add-ons I'd swear half the population is Mall Ninja's these days.

There was nothing wrong with the v60.  Exept it's interface sucked.  Oh, and it had no external caller  ID.  And the display blew, especially in bright daylight.

The v60's weren't bad, but they've improved on them and phones like the motorola E815 are the culmination of these improvements.  As far as not being able to have a camera phone in the workplace, well that's true I guess for a small percentage of the population; there will always be cell's without cameras to help those people out.  But the latest equipment coming out is all market driven;  people WANT cameraphones, and better ones, with more capabilities. And eventually, I'm not kidding with this either, your cell will be a smart device that contains your phone, PDA, still camera with at least 6-10 megapixels, camcorder with hours of video record capabiliy, MP3 and media player, bluetooth and high speed internet access. And I'm sure there will be some other stuff in there as well... Artificial Intelligence might be useful, such as a phone that remembers things that you routinely do and reminds you if you forgot about something.  

And the best part of it is these devices are all subsidized by the cell provider to get you to sign up with them; this one superdevice, that will replace a few thousand dollars worth of other equipment, will probably run you only a few hundred bucks.  If that.  All the crap they were promising you in the 50's is finally coming true!  Enjoy it!

That's funny, my v60s has caller id.  And I'll challenge you on the camera phone thing once a lot of other businesses really start to crack down on them. Then it'll be something best left off.

Do they really WANT that crap or are they conditioned into thinking they have to have it by marketing/peer pressure? My guess is less that 5% of the people use the features.  I'm not a luddite by any means, but you sucessfully laid out dozens of reasons why I don't want all those features. They are useless crap to me.  I've watched several co-workers struggle to regain lost data off of one of these "got to have" all in one damn phones. Even happened to me once and I do mean once. Lesson learned about storing data/song tracks on something that is difficult if not impossible to back up.

Don't even lecture me about responsible data storage. How many people who should know better do you think routinely back up their hard drive, much less their phone?

I sure as heck am not going to store some of the personal data I see others putting on these things, usually right before they lose them two weeks later.

I want the ability to receive a decent signal, audio quality and a battery life of a week. Oh yeah, I want the thing to be a moderate size, not too large, not the tiny things some phone have become.

If the 50's promise is just now showing up where's my flying car?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:04:39 AM EDT
[#3]
In my experience:
LG makes good phones
Samsung makes good phones
Nokia makes good phones
Motorola makes crap.

If you travel, be sure to get a tri-mode phone (analog and digital capable)
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the advice, going to run out to the local verizon store today & see what they have to say about upgrading to the LG 8100
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#5]

I have had real good luck with the Audiovox phones. My first one lasted 6 years and was still working when I got my new one a year ago. The new one is the cdm9900 model. It has very good reception and the huge screen on it is better than any of my friends picture phones. The battery holds up very good too. I only need to plug it in to the vehicle charger for 20 minutes on the way to work and on the way back.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I just got the Motorola E815. It's worked great so far. The pictures come out very clear. It's larger than my previous LG phone, but that's because of the larger screen, which is what I wanted.

cache.vzw.com/images_b2c/phones/lg/mot_e815.jpg

ETA; This phone is listed for $199.99. But after rebates, I only paid $50.00.

that is the phone I have.  I love it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an LG VX8000, it is a great phone, kinda large and squarish but has a big screen and nice camera. Has so many features it's amazing. I think Verizon doesn't sell that exact phone anymore, I think they sell a scaled down version of now called the VX8100.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#8]
The Kyocera crapped out and I got a LG VX3300 to replace it.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top