Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Name a handgun that has killed more people around the World than a 1911.  The 1911 and military ball ammunition have left more wailing women around the World than any other combination.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I love 1911's, I love 9MM's.

I carry what I want depending on my scheduled day.  The day can change quick, and I know I can take care of me and mine with either.  And both are always within reach
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#3]
the 1911 is the way, the truth and the light.
to know the 1911 is to know goodness, purity and perfection.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Confederates have a history of using Austrian guns.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:31:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I also had the same problem. my 1911's were too heavy to carry all the time. my pants would come down. now I have a glock 22 for killing and .45 for fun and home defense.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:36:59 AM EDT
[#6]
The 1911's a full size combat sidearm.  Not the first choice for carry but some do.  I love my beretta but I carry a different weapon for CCW.  I tried carrying my 1911 and it was a pain in the butt.  To large and heavy.  It pulled my pants down too!  I tried a fanny pack but those things just scream "GUN!"  Plus they're kinda gay look'in.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:49:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Hold a Kimber 1911 in your hand and work the action.  If you have any questions after that, you're untrainable.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:53:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:18:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Got away from 1911's because of:
1 Weight.  
2 Low capacity.

alloy frame and a spare mag gives you 17 rounds of proven combat performance.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Do this test, take a fully loaded 1911 and a Glock, fling fling/throw them across the parking lot with as much strenght as you can muster.  Now run to the gun that is still in operational and start firing.  Question which gun would survive?  One gun could probably have a broken slide.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The 1911 was made in 1911.  It's an ANTIQUE.  Put them in a glass case and hang them on the wall.  Enough already!

Agreed!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Do this test, take a fully loaded 1911 and a Glock, fling fling/throw them across the parking lot with as much strenght as you can muster.  Now run to the gun that is still in operational and start firing.  Question which gun would survive?  One gun could probably have a broken slide.

So which is it?  Inquiring minds want to know...  

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I like my Kimber for it's accuracy and the way it fits my hand as far as shooting it goes.  I like it for carry due to the external safety, lack of thickness, and weight.  I like carrying a heavier gun because it moves around less and I always know exactly where it is.

Brian
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Somebody give some hard reasons to carry a 1911.

Because I fricking want to, and I love it.

Have I mentioned I love you today?

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I shoot them well.  Thats kind of important.

But I bet you shoot other handguns well also.

There has got to be more reason than "I shoot them well". Or I would think there would be. Not knocking anyones choice though, but does anyone think that it is just because they are in "fashion"? There has to be a reason to drag around a heavy 7-8 shot handgun, when there are other choices.

Somebody give some hard reasons to carry a 1911.

Here's why - the M1911 pistol has something a Glock will never have -  A SOUL.
The glock is dead, a mere tool, nothing more than an assembly of polymer and metal.
The trigger feels like I'm dragging a bucket of paint across a gravel road.
The 1911 on the other hand is an orchestra of engineering and style - ergonomics, reliability and beauty all blended seamlessly together.
The trigger on this piece feels like a glass rod wrapped in silk.
The Glock was designed by a cold hearted German engineer.
The 1911 was divinely inspired and created by God's own John Moses Browning, the greatest and most prolific firearms inventor to ever walk this Earth.

And finally....

ETA: spelling
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Aretha: Don't you blaspheme in here! Don't you blaspheme in here! Now this is my man and my restaurant and you two are gonna just walk right out that door, without ya dry white toast, without ya four fried chickens and without Matt 'Guitar' Murphy!

Quite possibly one of the best replies to a post, ever.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm not positive, but I think the 1911's being complained of must be cheapy's.  Friend of mine bought a cheap 4" llama that was near mint condition, but when he took it to the range the damn thing FTF every friggin time he said.  He even field stripped it and cleaned the hell out of it and it still hung up.  By comparison, my 3" Kimber cdp has only given me probs with cheaper HP rounds. and only after shooting SEVERAL clips thru it.  I agree with all the pros above and I've even alleviated the weight issue with my CDP.  I only wish I had gotten the 4" version though.  

Lastly, I say that picking your favorite handgun is like picking a woman...  Some like them big, some like them small, others like a good pounding when they fire them up, others like a more gentle touch, but one thing is for sure, never ever, point out another man's woman's(gun) problems.....
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#19]
On their women, some guys like big boobs.  Some guys like big butts.  Some guys like like legs or eyes or some indefinable characteristic that those cheese-eatin' surrender monkeys call "je ne se quois".  I hate the French, but the 1911 has "I don't know what" in spades.  It just feels right, and the .45 is the best combat round yet designed, so that's what it is for me.  If you are an ass man (or Glockophile, or SIGaphile) then get down with your bad self.  Just don't tell me what I should like; that's just un-American.  

PS it's a skinny pistol, and I can pack it IWB easier than even my baby Glock, which is first cousin to a sawed-off brick.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Two words sum up my love for the 1911 over Glocks:

Concealabilitytriggerstiffframenomanualsafety

and

nospongyrecoillooksbetterfeelsrightinmyhand

Also, The capacity thing can be overcome... Para Ordnance, anyone? There are others as well. In all honesty... I want to like Glocks. Really, I do. They're cheap, reliable, and for some reason I cannot ascertain, people like them. But the grip angle and spongy recoil (and lack of a manual safety) makes me leave the Glocks at the store every time. I'll take a quality 1911, SIG (if it's got to be  9mm) or Springfield XD-9 over Glock.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't.
I prefer the modified-browning lockup of the Glocks and SIGs over the linked system of the 1911 any day.  A .45 has only marginal one-shot stop performance over even the lowly 9mm.

I'll stick with my 9mm SIG P226, my .40SW SIG P229 and my .40SW Glock 22 over the jam-o-matic 1911.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Last time I checked Humna Anatomy hasn't changed in the last 100 yrs.....so shot placement and all that is the answer........1911....very reliabel simple accurate enought.......very proven!!..............
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
1911 fits my hand, Glock doesn't.

Almost infinite customizability with a 1911; Glock not nearly so much.

Possible KB issues with .45 and .40 Glocks, whereas the 1911 was originally designed for the .45.

The Glock is a pistol for someone who must carry a sidearm, the 1911 is for someone who likes to.

Thanks, raf...your last line will be my Sig Line when my membership begins sometime this week!

HH
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm not positive, but I think the 1911's being complained of must be cheapy's.  Friend of mine bought a cheap 4" llama that was near mint condition, but when he took it to the range the damn thing FTF every friggin time he said.  He even field stripped it and cleaned the hell out of it and it still hung up.  By comparison, my 3" Kimber cdp has only given me probs with cheaper HP rounds. and only after shooting SEVERAL clips thru it.  I agree with all the pros above and I've even alleviated the weight issue with my CDP.  I only wish I had gotten the 4" version though.  

Lastly, I say that picking your favorite handgun is like picking a woman...  Some like them big, some like them small, others like a good pounding when they fire them up, others like a more gentle touch, but one thing is for sure, never ever, point out another man's woman's(gun) problems.....

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Name a handgun that has killed more people around the World than a 1911.  The 1911 and military ball ammunition have left more wailing women around the World than any other combination.

Browning Hi Power (well, probably a close tie)

Makarov (Counting the Chinese 'shoot 'em & bill the family for the bullet')
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:25:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I tried carrying my 1911 and it was a pain in the butt.  To large and heavy.  It pulled my pants down too!

Not to pick on you, but as a guy who carries a 1911A1 all the time, I recommend the following:

A quality gun belt and a quality holster.  One designed to carry a holstered weapon.  They can be had for $60 or so and they will prevent your pants from falling down.

A length of nylon rope doesn't cut it when you CCW.  

Dave Workman D&D Gunleather T-Bar Too
Bianchi mag pouch
Galco belt

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:26:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Tokarev T-33
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:43:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:54:36 AM EDT
[#30]

The 1911 vs other"modern handguns?

Simple, I have shot all the different designs currently available, and the 1911 is what I like. I don't fuck with people about Glocks or anything, why do so many feel the need to slam on the 1911? Envy?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:27:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Browning Hi Power (well, probably a close tie)

Makarov (Counting the Chinese 'shoot 'em & bill the family for the bullet')

I'm very doubtful about the Hi Power, however I believe you are correct that the 9mm parabellum has killed more people in war than any other, but this isn't from the barrel of handguns but from the barrel of submachine guns.
Also, we may as well add criminal homicide.  So lets not forget about the .38 Special and the .22LR.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:35:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DOOOOHHHH!  I said clip...  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:53:46 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The 1911 was made in 1911.  It's an ANTIQUE.  Put them in a glass case and hang them on the wall.  Enough already!

You must be one of those ignernt young disrespectful video geeks.

1911 - Carried it in military service and I've carried one ever since. I also have 3 H&K USP pistols.
I like the H&K's a lot, but I love the 1911.  The Glock? Whatever floats your boat.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:04:33 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Why do you prefer the 1911 over other more modern handguns?

Before someone gets pissy, I have owned a Wilson CQB, Kimber TLE/RL, S&W 1911, Colt series 70, Colt Commander XSE in the 1911 category. All are gone now.
I have also owned Glock 17/19/26/30/21. Hk usp 40. Sig 228/229. HK p7m8.
I currently only own Glock 17/19/21 and  a Sig 228.
I am only using the Glock 19 as I want to be only conditioned to it.

Got away from 1911's because of:
1 Weight.  
2 Low capacity.

But now I kinda miss not having a 1911 and have the urge to buy another.Would like to hear others views on the 1911 vs other modern handguns.

Exactly. Hard to put one down after you've picked one up.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:06:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The 1911 was made in 1911. It's an ANTIQUE. Put them in a glass case and hang them on the wall. Enough already!

Hmmm... my 1911 was made in 2003...

I like the way it feels in my hand.  The way it shoots.  The quality you can feel.  240gr.

Above that, I think it is just a handsome, classy weapon with character.  My SA Black Stainless, although not modified, is a work of art that I would be proud to show to others, and they are impressed with it as well.  When I go out in public, I tend to wear nice clothes as well.  Others may do the job they are intended to do, but the 1911 does the job and looks good doing it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top