BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#1]
My grandpa is a 32nd degree mason,

He became a mason because back in the 1950s, he owned a gas/service station. He thought that whenever people came in to the station, that they would see his masonic ring, and be prompted to do more business with him than ususal.

It didn't work.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What is it that you want to know??? I may be able to answer some of the basic questions.

Tinstar

I have a question that is off topic.  

What do the freemasons do? There is a local place I have driven by for years that is there meeting place and they're symbol is there and sometimes quite a few cars.  I have only heard about them through posts like this one.

what do free masons do? what is the point? Any benefits? Religious organization? do they help the poor?   Please enlighten the uninformed.

Luxan,
Next time you see the cars in front of the Lodge go in and ask!  You will find a very friendly welcome.

most organizations don't respect pagans.  even though you can't tell from my appearance.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
"Your cult sucks, mine is better!"
"Is not!"
"Is too!"

Such is arfcom.

Nail? Meet Hammer!
Well done!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

He became a mason because back in the 1950s, he owned a gas/service station. He thought that whenever people came in to the station, that they would see his masonic ring, and be prompted to do more business with him than ususal.

It didn't work.

No disrespect intended, but it would seem that your grandfather became a Mason for the wrong reason. Perhaps if he had approached it with an attitude of self-improvement through a brotherhood of men devoted to serving God and their fellow man, he would have a greater sense of reward for his years of service.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It didn't work.

No disrespect intended, but it would seem that your grandfather became a Mason for the wrong reason. Perhaps if he had approached it with an attitude of self-improvement through a brotherhood of men devoted to serving God and their fellow man, he would have a greater sense of reward for his years of service.

Well what kind of marketing plan do you expect from a guy who had a 7th grade education? All the well-off business guys he knew back in that era were all Freemasons.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well what kind of marketing plan do you expect from a guy who had a 7th grade education? All the well-off business guys he knew back in that era were all Freemasons.

Point taken. I'm sure he meant well by his effort.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It didn't work.

An uncle of mine recommended becoming a Mason because it would help me in all kinds of situations.  When brother Mosaons see the Masonic ring/lapel pin/whatever they are obligated to help.

I didn't join, and thus haven't received much assistance from them.

People who used to work at the Naval Ship Yard in Charleston told me that becoming a Mason was the key to getting ahead in there.  They had it locked up.  A non-Mason competing against a "Brother" for a position didn't stand a chance.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Basically, Freemasonry is the oldest fraternity in the world. We are a group of men who strive to be better men. It is not a religious organization, but you do have to believe in God. The way that you believe is up to you. It is not a charity, but we do donate millions of dollars every year to numerous charities. I would have to agree with the above post, if anyone wants to know what we are about, go by a lodge and introduce yourself. They will be happy to answer any questions you may have and would be glad to have you. Contrary to popular belief, we are NOT a secret society. The only secret we have is the way that we identify ourselves to others. I am a Christian and a Mason, as are many good men in history.

tinstar
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#9]
No...these glasses arnt magical or anything.  If I remeber right the glasses are tinted so you cant see anything.  And at the right time they will lift the glasses up and reveal truths to you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hello Mr. Hun. I am glad to see some fellow Masons here. I am a newbie to ARFCOM so I have yet to see the other Masonic posts.

There are many Masons on this Board!

Some even use the Square and Compass as their avatar!

Michael (E.A) Austin Lodge 12 A.F.A.M

Just wait till you get raised to a Master Mason!

It will be a night you will never forget!

I only wish that I could be there!

Eric The(Then,It'sTheScottishRite..ThenYork..ThenShriners)Hun
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Point taken. I'm sure he meant well by his effort.

I'm certain that he profited by his association with other Masons, even if not financially.

I make it a point not to even place a 'Square & Compass' on my business cards, either as a lawyer or as a gun shop owner.

And only folks who know what Masons are would likely even notice a Masonic ring.

Eric The(EternalFraternal)Hun
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
...I just want to know what that thing is that looks like a little BBQ apron.

It's an apron.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey Hun, you guys in Texas, I heard you are too tough for the goats and use peccaries.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:31:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Here, this explains everything

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:40:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I couldn't get past the homoerotic ritual spankings during initiation.

I had to pass on Freemasonry.

Too bad, too, cause I think those rings are just dazzling.

J/K, I know it's all about insecure men coddling each other and doing business through nepotism rather than honest effort.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:44:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I read this whole thread, and still don't know what exactly a "Mason" is.

I don't think we have them here.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:51:55 AM EDT
[#17]
What part of

is unclear?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:53:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What part of

www.paplin.com/images/mason_jar.jpg

is unclear?

See? It's not just me!  Thats all my brain comes up with when I hear "Mason"
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:24:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Google? 2,430,000 for Freemasonry

2B1ASK1

ETA:  Yep - that's a LOT of information.  I guess the all those horrendous "secrets" are out .

Scan through all those hits and you'll see a lot of accurate info and another common topic, anti-Masonry.  Then see why you think there is so much controversy and ask yourselves why some folks just plain hate Freemasonry.

It really boils down to "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof", a basic premise of Freemasonry.  If you think that's a bad rule, then Freemasonry isn't for you.  Freemasonry has a darn broad definition of religion.  It includes anyone who worships the creator most of us here refer to as "God".
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top