BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What does 140mph winds do to a house?

I was in a strong IV (Luis) when I lived in the Caribbean.  It lasted about 25 hours and it wrecked our roof.  We got a good section of the actual eyewall.
I was outside during part or it and got minor injuries from debris.

The chaos afterwards was worse.  Looting, rapes, general violence.

It's not so bad.  It helps if you have brass balls that are square.

ETA:  It threw 40' shipping containers around (far), it twisted the metal frames of warehouses into gnarled pretzels, it heaved the tug while still in the dry-dock hundreds of feet, boats were scattered all over like toys.  
Zinc roofing became aerial guillotines, clay tiles came loose and shattered turning into jagged, flying messengers of death, windows blew sending jagged shards into houses.
That kind of thing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd suggest you not be in it when you find out.

+1
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:16:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Good luck, man.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Just GTFO and Good luck.  Houses can be fixed or rebuilt. Take care
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where are you?  What precautions have you taken?  Do you have insurance?  Can you leave?  Patty

I'm a JBT.  I've got food, water, ammo, etc.  House isn't mine it's my roomies.  Can't leave due to work.  

Can you bunk down at work?

It's what most smart cops do.

Yeah...I'm going to head to my command station on friday.  

Bring a shitload of supplies, you may be there for awhile.

Currently 212 mph.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#7]
If your house falls on my wife's sister, than I am PERSONALLY coming to Texas to beat your ass!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#8]
My home, built in 1991, has helf up fine through every storm so far. I have a hipped roof so it is more resistant, while gabled roofs fail quicker.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I feel perfectly safe...

Arent you due for an earthquake?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

D'Iberville, MS - 9 days post-Katrina
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#13]
despite the seriousness of the situation, there is a lot of hilarity in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Listen to the advice provided.  This is a killer storm.

When Isabel hit our area in September 2003, she was just a bad tropical storm with sustained winds in the 50s-60s and gusts to 75.  The next morning when we went outside I was STUNNED to see the damage.

A few roofs had shingles removed but the real damage was from the BIG trees that had been lifted right out of the ground and toppled over onto homes.  You simply can't imagine the damage a big tree does to a wood, brick and mortar home when it falls on it.  I'm talking 50-70 foot oaks, tulip poplars and maples just crushing some guy's digs.

We all got out our chain saws and began felling the leaners and cutting up tons of timber.

We have all of our utilities underground...but we still lost everything for about five days because the distribution nodes are above ground.

Get the hell out NOW if you have any chance at all!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top