User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
so if they made a gun for walmart that met a particular price point, would it have a different model number?

Did you read the thread?

No, not necessarily.

My guess is the model numbers and stuff would be exactly the same, and somewhere in the manufacturers records it would note what specific lot numbers or some such were Wal Mart guns.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck Wal-Mart!!  Seriously, why does anyone shop there?  They are going to single handedly cause the fall of Western civilization as we know it.  Forcing companys to build a SAFE but INFERIOR product just to save a penny.  If I was a retailer, I would want the opposite.  Build me a reasonably priced gun that looks, feels ,shoots, ect better than everyone else.(Like Kimber did!)

Anyhow rant off, good luck to all you Wal-Mart shopers.
(Wal-Mart free since July, I'm doing my part, are YOU?)

Travis
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#3]
they did not force anyone to sell to them....they do not have to play....they can sell it elsewhere, like a gun store, etc...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
so if they made a gun for walmart that met a particular price point, would it have a different model number?

Did you read the thread?

No, not necessarily.

My guess is the model numbers and stuff would be exactly the same, and somewhere in the manufacturers records it would note what specific lot numbers or some such were Wal Mart guns.

Ruger model numbers are different for their Wal-Mart specials.

Every manufacture will have either a distinct model number or distinct catalog number, they have to to track inventory.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
they did not force anyone to sell to them....they do not have to play....they can sell it elsewhere, like a gun store, etc...

Exactly.  If I ever save-up enough money for another gun, I will buy a 10/22 from Wal-Mart.  I like having the choice of being able to buy a gun at a cheaper price with worse wood and a worse finish.  I don't care that the softer wood will dent easier and not look as good over time and that the rougher steel will rust faster.  I'm 77 now and the gun is going to outlast me by a long-shot, so it's good enough.  My great-nephew bought a 10/22 from a local gun shop about a year ago.  He bought it from there after comparing the Wal-Mart version head to head with the one at the gun shop.  He believed the harder wood and smoother blued metal on the barrel were worth the $50 more.  I don't.  It's good to have a choice.z
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Wal-Mart's website also tells you if the gun is manufactured in the US or not. I'm not planning to buy a retail low-end Chinese gun anytime soon, I don't want a KB.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
UPDATE 2
Guys, I am not talking about faulty or mechanically inferior guns...........I am only talking about fit and finish and perhaps a cheaper cosmetic part or two.
Things like wood finishing, butt pads, rear sights, etc.
By the way the rear sights on the DICKS sporting goods were different than the Wal Mart ones............not inferior, just different.
Would it be plausible that Walmart could have gone to Marlin and said we need a 30-30 rifle made that will be at this price point?

It just so happens that I recently bought a 30-30 from Dicks. I also learned something in the process. The Dicks and WalMart I go to both show on the sales floor different variantions of the Marlin 336. Both stores carry both variations, but they show different ones (336A, AS, C, etc.). This will account for most of the differences you have described so far.

Even Marlin's website shows variation in finish, butt pads, rear sights, etc. on the 336.

You can't just pick up a 336 in one store and a 336 in another, notice the differences, and assume that one store is selling a cheaper rifle. Make sure they are the same variant first.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I seriously doubt they have custom made guns made shittier than normal.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
UPDATE 2

Would it be plausible that Walmart could have gone to Marlin and said we need a 30-30 rifle made that will be at this price point?

Read the above.  That is exactly how Wal Mart does business.

I think part of the confusion is that there's no Wal-Mart "house brand", the gun still says "Marlin" on the side.  Back when most hardware & chain stores sold guns each would have their own "brand".  The slightly cheaper finished Marlins were sold as a Glenfield, the cheaper Mossbergs were New Haven, Montgomery Wards house brand was Western Field, Western Auto's house brand was Revelation, Sears had J.C. Higgins/Ted Williams/Ranger, etc.  
If the slightly cheaper, rougher finished Marlin .30-30 at Wal-mart was called "Ol' Roy Model 36" instead of Marlin Model 336 then it'd be a bit more obvious.  Non checkered Birch stocks,no white line spacer or grip cap, bead blasted blued metal or parkerized instead of polished smooth, etc.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Wal-Mart deals direct with the manufacture normally

I worked for three different textile companies that sold to Wal-Mart.  We did special runs for just Wal-Mart since Wal-Mart had different requirements than our other customers.  They had special requirements to meet certain price points, different labeling requirements, and different bulk packaging requirements.  For example, the Sara Lee hose sold to Wal-Mart skipped an inspection, used a different more expensive printer for barcodes(since Wal-Mart charges so much when the clerk has to the key the UPC), and used slightly different packaging so you could stack more of the product on the same depth shelf.  When I did contact work for Kayser Roth (makes L'eggs brand hose) in Yadkinville, NC, they did special much lower-quality runs just for Wal-Mart to meet Wal-Mart's price point.  Wal-Mart dictated the price, so the manufacturer had to adjust accordingly.  Why is it so hard to believe that guns work the same way as other products that Wal-Mart sales?z

This seems like the most logical explination. Skipped inspections, less time at the buffers, etc.
Same model, same parts, just not as much attention to detail.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#11]
It is because of volume. I live in ND and was in TX this spring and went to WM to check out what they had,they every single gun that we have here and nothing else.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes; and GWB has a hurricane machine out in the gulf pooping out storms.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:31:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
UPDATE 2

Guys, I am not talking about faulty or mechanically inferior guns...........I am only talking about fit and finish and perhaps a cheaper cosmetic part or two.

Things like wood finishing, butt pads, rear sights, etc.

By the way the rear sights on the DICKS sporting goods were different than the Wal Mart ones............not inferior, just different.

It is extremely plausible, as that is how Wal-Mart handles all other products they buy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:57:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I also heard that no matter what brand the firearm is they are all really made in a firearms plant in Costa Rica by sweatshop slave children for 5 cents an hour while the Walton clan whips at them yelling to pledge their loyalty to the Wal-Mart.

I swear.

Really.

Cool!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:25:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You see this pattern with all the big box stores,Home Depot,Walmart Etc.  HD might sell a Pease door but it is in a HD frame, has no magnetic weather stripping and other short cuts.  Same thing applies to cabinets,windows and I believe tools.  Same name, same basic parts but the detail work and special features get dropped.  

So, id this is so prevalent, where do you go to get the stuff that USED to be standard, that apparently you have to pay extra for? This is why I go to my local hardware store, my local home furnishing stores, etc. I do NOT want these huge corporations wielding enough power that the manufacturer has to compromise quality in order to meet the Walton families idea of what a proper cost is.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:28:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You see this pattern with all the big box stores,Home Depot,Walmart Etc.  HD might sell a Pease door but it is in a HD frame, has no magnetic weather stripping and other short cuts.  Same thing applies to cabinets,windows and I believe tools.  Same name, same basic parts but the detail work and special features get dropped.  

So, id this is so prevalent, where do you go to get the stuff that USED to be standard, that apparently you have to pay extra for? This is why I go to my local hardware store, my local home furnishing stores, etc. I do NOT want these huge corporations wielding enough power that the manufacturer has to compromise quality in order to meet the Walton families idea of what a proper cost is.

That's pretty much the key. You have to go to smaller shops who specialize in quality stuff rather than the cheapest possible stuff. A real Husquvarna dealer, for instance, sells a FAR superior grade of Husquvarna riding lawn mower than someone like Lowe's does. The Lowe's product is decent, but the one from the actual dealer is made from better quality components and has better engines, etc...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:32:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

That's pretty much the key. You have to go to smaller shops who specialize in quality stuff rather than the cheapest possible stuff. A real Husquvarna dealer, for instance, sells a FAR superior grade of Husquvarna riding lawn mower than someone like Lowe's does. The Lowe's product is decent, but the one from the actual dealer is made from better quality components and has better engines, etc...

But, then to get the topic back on track, to relate your comment back to the topic you have people who post here who complain that their local gun shop can't meet Wally Worlds price. The gun shop is the smaller shop specializing in quality stuff that you mention, but gun consumers don't see the benefit to patronizing the small gun dealer versus going to walmart.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:03:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Wal-Mart deals direct with the manufacture normally

I worked for three different textile companies that sold to Wal-Mart.  We did special runs for just Wal-Mart since Wal-Mart had different requirements than our other customers.  They had special requirements to meet certain price points, different labeling requirements, and different bulk packaging requirements.  For example, the Sara Lee hose sold to Wal-Mart skipped an inspection, used a different more expensive printer for barcodes(since Wal-Mart charges so much when the clerk has to the key the UPC), and used slightly different packaging so you could stack more of the product on the same depth shelf.  When I did contact work for Kayser Roth (makes L'eggs brand hose) in Yadkinville, NC, they did special much lower-quality runs just for Wal-Mart to meet Wal-Mart's price point.  Wal-Mart dictated the price, so the manufacturer had to adjust accordingly.  Why is it so hard to believe that guns work the same way as other products that Wal-Mart sales?z

I know a guy with a small factory.

Walmart actually sent a team of efficiency experts to the factory.

They had all the machines adjusted precisely and said, "do not chance these adjustments without our permission".

They dialed the profit down to the last 1/100 of a cent.

When Walmart hands Marlin a check for $20,000,000 they can tell Marlin to do anything they want.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:10:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I know that Wal-Mart did have Beretta build a special 390 for them - sys stocks and left off the shell cut off feture.

A very good gun for the value if you were looking for a 12 ga auto - esp compared to the rem 1100 series or other products.

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:15:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Intersting thread.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top