BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
im in Galveston county. this sucks. ive never been through a hurricane before. ill probly be leaving with my family sometime tomorrow or early thursday. i think we will be going to stay with realitives in either austin of lufkin.

there are refineries all over the place here. if we get a cat 4 its gonna get pretty bad

If you're going to leave, GTFON.  Wait too long and one of two things will happen:  you'll end up stuck in the mother of all traffic jams or the winds and waves will get too high and the Causeway will get shut down.  Happens every time.
I grew up in that area, and my older sister is BOI, and she won't stay down there.

Im not on the island but I know traffic will still be bad no matter what. I still dont know when we're going, my parents are making that decision, but it will most likely be tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
im in Galveston county. this sucks. ive never been through a hurricane before. ill probly be leaving with my family sometime tomorrow or early thursday. i think we will be going to stay with realitives in either austin of lufkin.

there are refineries all over the place here. if we get a cat 4 its gonna get pretty bad

we'er not quite the same situation as NO "bowl" effect.  They are below sea level we are above. The surge will subside quite a bit before hitting Houston proper and what water may surge through town will not stay long.

Im more worried about winds than I am flooding.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#3]
my family thinks I am nuts for saying, if the power goes out my guns gets handed out to family.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Does Houston have a significant shall we say "looter potential" crowd.

Yes. I looked up the info for Houston and most are located in Democrap Sheila Jackson Lee's district. Poor, lots of minorities, high-crime to begin with, etc... Coincidentally more likely to get flooded, too. Mu ha ha ha!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#5]
when allison hit I got flooded and locked in for 3 or 4 days, they apts across the street strted coming into my townhomes and breaking into houses, I guess that is looting. If I leave I'll come back to nothing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got back from 2 days at NHC in Miami.

Forecasters are VERY CONCERNED about the possibility of Rita becoming another Katrina.

Water temps around the gulf are in the High 80's...and VERY Favorable to feed a BIG storm.

Wherever it ends up...they could be potential for LoTSA Damage. And I know the FEMA Boys here are already briefing DC.

If you are in an evacuation area threatened by Rita, LEAVE.

FWIW: Storm experts say the current Active season could mark the 2nd year of a 10-20 year High Activity Trend

From somebody who lost his house to "Andrew"...pay attention and good luck.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, not again.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I didn't realize that Houston was so close to the Gulf Coast:

www.texasmonthly.com/images/travel/gulf_map.gif

Dang! I didn't realize Brenham was so close to the coast!

<prays for the little creamery> I'm stockin' up!

Remember, you goobs...    it's tough to rope a hurricane.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Does Houston have a significant shall we say "looter potential" crowd.  Isnt Houston where Slumlord has his apartments?? Could be interesting down there guys.  I'm so glad nothing happens here in NM, the biggest thing I have to worry about is being kidnapped by aliens near Roswell.

yes, Houston, does have major "looter potential."  I think it would give NO a run for it's money.

I'm staying put, locked, loaded, well fed.

Aren't some of the NO "looters" still in Houston? Having an experienced cadre such as this to train the Houston "looters" could present a situation.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#10]
She now has a visible eye..here she goes. Her outflow is huge, she has exceptionally warm water, she will be a monster by tomorrow night.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#11]
At 10.30 she was finally a Cat 3, 111 mph winds.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#12]
We're in Pearland...school's out for the rest of the week.  We're prepping to leave at a moment's notice.

My folks are already planning to leave for San Antonio Thursday AM, and they had a helluva time finding a room.  

We're going to go up to their place on the Northwest side and hope the power doesn't go out.  If it does, we're heading to Austin or further north.

HH

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#13]
If a Texas team member needs a place to stay for a few days, I certainly can help one (maybe two...how cozy you sleep isn't my problem ) of ya with a place to stay at least. (I'm in Austin)
IM me if you need it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Fuck!! Even if I got my shit together RIGHT NOW I wouldn't be home until about Friday. We live in Katy, which is about 25 miles west of Houston. I talked to the wife and she says not to come home. Her brothers and thier families will probably come stay with her when the time comes. I told her to stock up on some necessities and load both pistols. I'll be watching this very closely.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Look out Astrodome.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:09:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If a Texas team member needs a place to stay for a few days, I certainly can help one (maybe two...how cozy you sleep isn't my problem ) of ya with a place to stay at least. (I'm in Austin)
IM me if you need it.

Ditto here, though our dog doesn't play well with kids and other pets so unfortunately I'd have to say adults only.  If you need someplace to stay, please let me know.  IM or call me at work during the day, 512-258-6889.

We have two spare rooms, two small spare beds, plus sleeping bags and enough firepower to make sure everyone is well armed.  

thank guys, you guys are great
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:12:14 AM EDT
[#18]
she keeps growing. i went to wally world and they were about sold out of water and anything to store water in. i'm glad i have what i need, i hope everyone has what they need and the ones along the cost get the hell out of her way. power co. says if it hits galves houston area some areas could be without power for 2 week.

0351cdt
winds: 120 mph
gusts: 150 mph
pressure: 956mb
moving W at 14 mph
gulf water temp 85f

Cat 1: winds of 74 to 95 mph and/or a storm surge 4 to 5 feet above normal.

Cat 2: winds of 96 to 110 mph and/or a storm surge 6 to 8 feet above normal.

Cat 3: winds of 111 to 130 mph and/or a storm surge 9 to 12 feet above normal.

Cat 4: winds of 131 to 155 mph and/or a storm surge 13 to 18 feet above normal.

Cat 5: winds greater than 155 mph and/or a storm surge greater than 18 feet above normal.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:48:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, I am in Galveston now finalzing a few things for work.  I live in League City so some time tonight or early AM we (wife and I, one parrot, one african spurred tortoise weighing 35 lbs, 7 box turtles and a bunch of guns) are headed to a friends in Weatherford.

I wish I had the ability to express the stress and fear this situation is causing.  What to take and what to leave.  What will be there, if anything, when we get back.  The talking heads on the news are not helping any as stories often conflict and some are just sensationalists with a  $50 haircut and a $5 brain.

Good luck to everyone in the area and I hope and pray for everyones safety.

PS: this sucks, and I mean more than just a little bit.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:53:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Dont really have a room to offer, but have one large open room where some could bring a cot or sleeping bag. Up east of Tyler. If anyone makes it this far lemme know by IM and ill see what I can do. Also have 16 acres and some good places to pitch a tent if you wanna camp.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:08:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Rita now officially a Cat 4 - much earlier than expected - and probably going to hit Cat 5. Waters off Galveston are in the upper 80's. Not looking good people! I am sending the wife, S-I-L, and M-I-L to Montgomery/Conroe this afternoon to my uncle's. I will try to join them later on Thursday. Good thing my SUV is in the shop still
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:13:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I know Texans are tough, but this isn't a storm to be fucked with.  Get someplace safe and hunker down.

Stay safe.
Good luck, we'll be praying for you.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:13:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Latest news from www.click2houston.com:

Hurricane Rita Becomes Category 4 Storm
Officials: Florida Keys Escaped Worst-Case Scenario

UPDATED: 6:47 am CDT September 21, 2005

MIAMI -- Hurricane Rita is roaring deeper into the Gulf.

Rita is now a Category 4 hurricane, according to the National Hurricane Center. Satellite imagery suggests that Rita has continued to strengthen and maximum sustained winds have increased to near 135 mph, with higher gusts. Category Four hurricanes pack sustained winds of at least 131 mph.

Mandatory evacuations have been ordered for New Orleans and Galveston, Texas. Texas is the most likely target sometime this weekend. Louisiana and northern Mexico haven't been ruled out. The Florida Keys appear to have been spared major problems.

At last word, Rita's eye was about 175 miles west of Key West, Fla . The storm was moving west at 14 mph. That track kept the most destructive winds at sea and away from Florida's island chain.

Rita's raging eye did not hit land in the Florida Keys. Thousands of relieved residents who evacuated are expected to begin returning today.

Debris has been cleared from the Keys highway, U.S. 1.

There were reports of localized flooding, and some sections of the Lower Keys were still without power early

HH
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#24]
We are making last preparations for the storm:

Fill Vehicles w/ Premium gas because all else is sold out EVERYWHERE
Take Pictures (pre-storm)
Pack up kids (check)
Pack up battery .22 and .38spl
pack up ammo one box of Copperhead and (5) .38 rounds
Pack up papers
Pray

I drove from North Houston to South Houston about an hour ago and I-45 (South of Hou) all the way down to Galveston County and North Bound traffic was a PARKING LOT Stopped at a stand still for the most part.  2 -3 mph in others.

To put things into perspective for those of you unfamiliar w/ I-45 South of Houston.....it is the most traveled piece of Road/Highway in the entire State of Texas.

If you need to get out NOW is the time to do it.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I think we're gonna ride it out (in NW Houston).  What else can we do?

GET OUT NOW !
GET OUT NOW !
GET OUT NOW !

In the event you cannot, then:

Stock up NOW !

Water - 2 gallons per person, per day, minimum a week, more if needed.
Water purifier
Canned food
MRE's
TP
Batteries
Ammo
Radio with AM/FM/SW freq's
Rubber gloves
First aid kit
Chain saw, fuel/mix extra blade and chain (If you or your neighbors have trees which could damage your house)

Fill your cars with gas and guard them from gas thieves.   Locking gas caps are a good thing right now.  

If you have to stay, do not listen to FEMA.   Do not go to a superdome/astrodome/convention center like the rest of the sheep.   Oil the guns, load the ammo, and.......

Stay low and watch your backs !

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#27]
The NOAA's chart has slipped it a little further south, towards Victoria. Not that I want this to hit anyone, but that's better than coming up the Houston ship channel. Matagorda Bay is about to be powerflushed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#28]
It's now a Cat 5.

The only good thing is that hurricanes don't normaly stay Cat 5 for long.

Of course the last two hurricane seasons have been anything but normal.

Whatever it does there will be at least 20' of storm surge.

Good luck guys.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
It's now a Cat 5.

The only good thing is that hurricanes don't normaly stay Cat 5 for long.

Of course the last two hurricane seasons have been anything but normal.

Whatever it does there will be at least 20' of storm surge.

Good luck guys.

hadar.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/online/data/tropical/288.jpg

My prayers are with all of you. I am confident that the ARFCOM guys in Texas know the basics in survival skills. Good luck guys.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Here in Austin, I'm seeing the beginnings of the exodus.  All the gas stations around my house had lines several cars deep at 9pm this evening.  That tells me a LOT of people are heeding the warnings and getting out of the way....

Just learned a friend has started her trip from Houston to Austin at 9:30pm.  Got on Hwy 290 headed to Austin and she said the traffic was moving about 5mph and all she saw was a line of tail-lights as far as she could see.  She's staying with us for the duration.

For 'yall that stay - be safe...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Big, evil woman.

Big!

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Here in Austin, I'm seeing the beginnings of the exodus.  All the gas stations around my house had lines several cars deep at 9pm this evening.  That tells me a LOT of people are heeding the warnings and getting out of the way....

Just learned a friend has started her trip from Houston to Austin at 9:30pm.  Got on Hwy 290 headed to Austin and she said the traffic was moving about 5mph and all she saw was a line of tail-lights as far as she could see.  She's staying with us for the duration.

For 'yall that stay - be safe...

I saw a man go psycho at the HEB gas station near I-35 and Parmer Lane.  It is getting intense.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#33]
yeah we just went to pick up our daughter at her Aunt's on 1960, F@#$in pandamonium.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Get out if you can.

Prayers for all of you guys in the affected area.  Hold on to your butts!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The NOAA's chart has slipped it a little further south, towards Victoria. Not that I want this to hit anyone, but that's better than coming up the Houston ship channel. Matagorda Bay is about to be powerflushed.

My wife's family is in Victoria
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My wife's family is in Victoria

Actually, it is slipped to the north, according to most models, closer to houston.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Everyone is going frikkin nuts.  I went down last night and boarded up Mom's house in Corpus and dragged her up here.  I have three Houston area officer's families staying with me.  Another's wife arrives tomorrow if she can get thru the traffic.  I'll never see them, we go on continous shifts starting Friday.  My wife will have to deal I suppose.

For you Austin guys,    I've been sitting in on the EOC briefings.  It's going to be a bit more than thunderstorms.  At the moment,  they are expecting AT LEAST a Cat 1 locally.  It's going to be a  mess.  Power outages, flooded roadways are going to be the rule rather than the exception. Austin has NO experience with this sort of widespread damage.   Lots of official hysteria.

Please, PLEASE stay out of the low water crossings!!

And yes,  they STILL have not cancelled ACL fest.

I HATE to use the "SHTF" term, but this is about as close as Austin will ever see.   I have the riot gear and medical gear all packed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#38]
I just heard on the news that this thing is now stronger than Katrina ever was. It's being projected to his as a CAT 4, drop to a CAT 3 and come directly through Dallas
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't hunker down,  Get out if you can.  

Good luck guys and gals.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Here's the link for the NOAA Buoy data. Don't be surprised to find many inop, there were some detroyed by Katrina.

www.ndbc.noaa.gov/Maps/WestGulf.shtml
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Galvelsoton, TX: 1900

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:45:45 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I just heard on the news that this thing is now stronger than Katrina ever was. It's being projected to his as a CAT 4, drop to a CAT 3 and come directly through Dallas

But dammit, Cheney's Halliburton office was up here!  Can't they control that damn machine better?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:56:18 AM EDT
[#45]
<Okay - I'm spamming but not kidding...>

This is a "get the hell out of Dodge" storm y'all.  Don't bug-in with a CAT4 on the way, let alone a potential CAT5.  Not much makes it through one this strong without some darn serious damage.

No joke.  We live in a very robust concrete building here in FL.  It was originally built by Army Corps of Engineers during the early days of the space program and is designed to survive hurricanes - CAT3 - but not CAT4, let alone CAT5.

Wooden house - leave.  The structure might well make it but way too risky to be inside and find out "nope - it didn't make it this time".  Roof not tied down with metal straps or cables to real masonry walls - leave.  Windows not shuttered or boarded - leave.

Most of the time you'll come back to a mess to clean up but not much else.  The problem with CAT3 or CAT4 though (even with a strong concrete structure) is the "nope - it didn't make it this time" syndrome.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:35:10 AM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:04:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:33:21 AM EDT
[#48]
If you try to ride this one out in Galveston or Houston...

You will be OWNED.

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:38:17 AM EDT
[#49]
FOX just said that winds are gusting up to 212 mph!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:49:06 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
FOX just said that winds are gusting up to 212 mph!!!

That's rather fast.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top