BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:55:36 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. And wrong.

So GM is a "government organization" along with Boeing, Goodyear, Pratt & Whitney, Staples and any other company that supplies anything the the Federal government? No. Not at all. not even close.

Obviously the government buying products or services doesn’t count. Buying a plane and subsiding a university or bailing out an airline isn’t the same thing.

You're right. ISU probably gets less in a year than Lockheed-Martin gets in a day.

The student knowingly violated the rule. He got caught. This is NOT a civil rights test case. He's not Rosa Parks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Want to hear my thoughts? Guy wanted to impress a girl...

And this gents is why I live in a single.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#3]
If not for hunting and fishing my roomies and myself would have starved to death during college.  I certainly didn't have money for gun purchases, or even the dorm.  Heck the RICH KIDS lived in the dorm.

We even ate fresh road kill once.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#4]
2 words for taking your long guns in and out of your room, and storing them inside

Golf Bag

Worked with my MAK-90 for 3 years.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That is why I love the U of Utah.  I have had guns in class because I am on the Pistol Team.  Someone asks what is in the box marked "Pardini". I usually tell they that it is an expensive hole-punching tool.

Oh yeah, conceal carry on campus?? State legislature says O.K.!!!

you make me jelious
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#6]

The student knowingly violated the rule. He got caught. This is NOT a civil rights test case. He's not Rosa Parks.

Unconsitional rules need not be followed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#7]
My university banned guns on campus just before I enrolled. They must have talked with my friends behind my back.

As it turns out though, Texas says it's legal to have firearms on a college campus, even one where the school bans them. So I can legally keep my firearms in my vehicle parked on the street or in the parking lot, I just can't bring them onto the campus lawn or into a building without written permission (and what are the odds of getting that permission?).

Otherwise, a "don't get caught" and "what I don't know can't hurt you" unspoken policy exist. In fact, the guy who was my RA last year and is now the head RA for the dorm made an agreement with me: neither of us would rat the other out if we found a gun in the room. He's now planning on buying an SKS online and keeping it in a locking case from Wal-Mart in his closet. He figures if somebody finds the case, they can't open it to see what's inside, so his ass is still covered.

About half the trucks on campus have a rifle or shotgun hidden behind the seat for target shooting, dove season, and deer season, and I know of a few guys who carry concealed handguns (with a CCW or not, I don't know and don't want to know) on campus. And these are responsible, (normally) law-abiding people, not thugs and gang-bangers, so I'm not overly worried about them.

I did have an RA recently ask me whether or not I had guns for "all the ammo you got there" (mostly empty casings kept as souvenirs and a couple live rounds, less than a dozen total) when he did a room inspection. I asked him, "did you see any guns when you came in?" "No." "Then we're cool." He just shook his head at me, checked my room off the list, and walked out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Unconsitional rules need not be followed.

Should I try and explain this to him, or should I go back to the DWI thread?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#9]
The military does not a allow person firearms in the dorms.  Firearms and drunken idiots are a bad idea, college students tend to be drunken idiots, young enlisted men have that problem as well.  

This guy should read the rules and/or been a lot more discreet.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Officers seize assault rifle from student in dorm hall

Late Thursday evening, ISU Police seized an AR-15 assault rifle from a student at Buchanan Hall.

Director of Public Safety Jerry Stewart said officers were dispatched after they received a report from a residence official that a student was possibly in possession of a rifle.

The owner of the firearm showed no resistance to officers, and the rifle was not loaded at the time of seizure; however, officers found ammunition in the student's room, he said.

An article from Guns and Ammo Magazine describes the rifle as "more popular today than ever" and being used by both law enforcement officials and military personnel.

According to ISU policy, "Weapons are not permitted on the campus except for purposes of law enforcement and as specially authorized for purposes of instruction, research or service ... weapons include any pistol, revolver, shotgun, machine gun, rifle or other firearm, BB or pellet gun, tazer or stun gun, bomb grenade, mine or other explosive or incendiary device, ammunition, archery equipment, dagger, stiletto, switchblade knife or knife having a blade exceeding five inches in length."

The rifle has been placed in secure storage and an investigation into whether the gun's owner could face a weapons violation continues, but there will be a residence hall violation, Stewart said.

- Adam Graaf

We had twenty one guns on the floor of my dorm.  It was an eight story dorm.   God I  miss Arizona sometimes.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Western Illinois University added the prohibition of "Paint Ball Guns"
to the code of student conduct because of me.

No problem.  because the governing bodies of paintball will sometimes pay for a lawyer if you weren't doing anything wrong.  Based on the technicality of calling it a paintball gun.  It's a paintball marker.  No one in the industry calls it a gun.  Paintball guns are the things ranchers shoot cattle with from the air.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#12]
In this post colombine world, keeping guns in your dorm room is RETARDED.

My first time I went shooting in college, my friend brought a Sig P228 from home and we went to a range, 5 min. off campus. Afterwards, he drove an hour to get it back home because he was a honors program senior that wasn't STUPID and too LAZY to protect his investment in education.

That made a really lasting impression on me, because I was like, you have a discreet locking case, why not just put it in your room for a night and bring it home when convinient? To which he responded, it's just not worth the risk. So I waited till I moved off campus before putting together my beautiful, beautiful M4gery.

If you really like guns, bring them off campus. Some people are genuinely afraid of guns, and you have to accept that our society is not as open and understanding towards firearms as we'd like... My hippie roommate freshmen year got upset at my airsoft gun in my room and convinced my entire dorm I was a gun nut. Meh...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
*Looks around at his dorm room*

I don't like this story ONE bit.

There's gonna be some changes this week...

- BG

+1

however, i aint changing a damn thing.  hell, last semester i walked in the dorm right past my RA with half a gallon of rum in one hand and a brick of .22LR in the other.  the only thing he had to say about that was something to the effect of:  "i hope you're sharing this time."
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#14]
If it were me, I'd only have a pistol/revolver and I'd hide it.  Wouldn't even let my roomies know about it.  Anything else I'd keep elsewhere, like back home.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#15]

In this post colombine world, keeping guns in your dorm room is RETARDED

Wouldn't it provide even MORE justification for having a gun?
My Rights are non-negotiable - If I want to keep a gun on campus, I will.
After all, if everyone and their brother manages to keep their liquor stash hidden from RAs....
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

In this post colombine world, keeping guns in your dorm room is RETARDED

Wouldn't it provide even MORE justification for having a gun?
My Rights are non-negotiable - If I want to keep a gun on campus, I will.
After all, if everyone and their brother manages to keep their liquor stash hidden from RAs....

Those were my sentiments exactly.  Post columbine world means it can happen to you, so why not have an insurance policy?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
if everyone and their brother manages to keep their liquor stash hidden from RAs....

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!

ETA:  after all, my liquor stash masses more than all of my firearms, so whats the big deal?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

...Anyhoo, some guy accidentally walks into our apartment - said he was looking for someone else - we lived in a long row of identical apartments, so this was entirely plausible.

Actually, these are often attempted thefts.  College kids typically don't lock their doors and have roommates coming and going at all hours, plus roommates' friends coming and going.  Often a resident in his bedroom is so used to hearing people enter or leave that they won't even come out to the living room to see who just walked into the house.  As a result, they're a ripe target.  Their are a lot of cases of theft around here where people will just try college apartment doors... if they're opened, they walk in.  If no one's there, they steal whatever they can.  If their are people there they just say "Uh, hey, is Steve (or Stacy or whoever) here?  Oh, no one named that lives here?  Sorry, wrong apartment."  And off they go.

So good job scaring the piss out of that guy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
*Looks around at his dorm room*

I don't like this story ONE bit.

There's gonna be some changes this week...

- BG

+1

however, i aint changing a damn thing.  hell, last semester i walked in the dorm right past my RA with half a gallon of rum in one hand and a brick of .22LR in the other.  the only thing he had to say about that was something to the effect of:  "i hope you're sharing this time."

I AM the RA

- BG
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My university banned guns on campus just before I enrolled. They must have talked with my friends behind my back.

As it turns out though, Texas says it's legal to have firearms on a college campus, even one where the school bans them. So I can legally keep my firearms in my vehicle parked on the street or in the parking lot, I just can't bring them onto the campus lawn or into a building without written permission (and what are the odds of getting that permission?).

Otherwise, a "don't get caught" and "what I don't know can't hurt you" unspoken policy exist. In fact, the guy who was my RA last year and is now the head RA for the dorm made an agreement with me: neither of us would rat the other out if we found a gun in the room. He's now planning on buying an SKS online and keeping it in a locking case from Wal-Mart in his closet. He figures if somebody finds the case, they can't open it to see what's inside, so his ass is still covered.

About half the trucks on campus have a rifle or shotgun hidden behind the seat for target shooting, dove season, and deer season, and I know of a few guys who carry concealed handguns (with a CCW or not, I don't know and don't want to know) on campus. And these are responsible, (normally) law-abiding people, not thugs and gang-bangers, so I'm not overly worried about them.

I did have an RA recently ask me whether or not I had guns for "all the ammo you got there" (mostly empty casings kept as souvenirs and a couple live rounds, less than a dozen total) when he did a room inspection. I asked him, "did you see any guns when you came in?" "No." "Then we're cool." He just shook his head at me, checked my room off the list, and walked out.

Please tell me where it says this.  I'm not being an ass, I just want to read it for myself.
And also, does it count for CCW?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top