Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Its like throwing a lit match in a toilet.. Its going to go out..

BTW.. Ever notice that eventually every hurricane has a floater..

Whats with that?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:08:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Interesting quesiton with some not so interesting replies so far.     Actually, when Mt. Pinatobu blew in Luzon, Philippine in June of 1991, Tropical Storm Yunya was just coming ashore from the southeast bowling over central Luzon.  On the weather satellite pictures, you could see the ash cloud come up, along with the circular storm coming ashore. In subsequent pics, the storm gets overwhelmed by the ash cloud and dies out to a depression and fizzled out in the South China Sea (SCS) after crossing the island.  Normally, the majority of storms that cross the P.I. weaken, then regenerate and strengthen in the SCS into Typhoons.  This one didn't, and it is my belief that the weight of the ash cloud killed the storm.

So, nuclear mushroom cloud vs Typhoon / Hurricane, I'd put money on the nuke.

Nukes have an ash cloud now?

Dirty nukes...  bada-BING!

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Make it stop.

Maybe if we nuke it...

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#4]
This should take care of all the problems in the world..
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Inquiring minds Retards want to know.

Simpletons ridicule people who always want to know.

Geeze, it was just a question...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#6]
LOL my seven year old son just ask me that. I told him dont mess with mother nature
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes you can nuke GWB's Hailburton Hurricane Maker.

I thought it had the "Star Wars" Anti-Nuke technology to protect it?

BigDozer66

Yup, some door gunner in the space shuttle will just tear it up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Some people just don't have a sense of humor.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
yes but you must wait till its over cuba......

Now that's a great idea!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Interesting quesiton with some not so interesting replies so far.     Actually, when Mt. Pinatobu blew in Luzon, Philippine in June of 1991, Tropical Storm Yunya was just coming ashore from the southeast bowling over central Luzon.  On the weather satellite pictures, you could see the ash cloud come up, along with the circular storm coming ashore. In subsequent pics, the storm gets overwhelmed by the ash cloud and dies out to a depression and fizzled out in the South China Sea (SCS) after crossing the island.  Normally, the majority of storms that cross the P.I. weaken, then regenerate and strengthen in the SCS into Typhoons.  This one didn't, and it is my belief that the weight of the ash cloud killed the storm.

So, nuclear mushroom cloud vs Typhoon / Hurricane, I'd put money on the nuke.

Nukes have an ash cloud now?

I used the volcano analogy to show how in real life the weight of ash and possibly more importantly the upward force / convection of the eruption interrupted the tropical storm's mechanism enough to kill it outright.  Would the storm have died anyway over land and petered out?  That is a distinct possibility but Yunya was going pretty good as she came ashore southeast Luzon.

A nuclear ground burst, or near surface burst projects tons of earth into the atmosphere, though I don't have a comparison with a Pinatobu type ash cloud.

Instead of trying to use a nuclear weapon to kill a hurricane / typhoon, you could use the storm to  reenforce the fallout of the ground burst and nuclear material over a much wider area.  Ash, or "lahar" as the Filipino's called the falling ash, was spread over a very wide swath and literally covered whole towns.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Practical comments b y the posters re: spreading the fallout.

As far as the original premise, no.  At best, that is, least harm, it would do nothing though there would be that fallout.  If you came up with a bigger device, the heat would only serve to create new, higher categories of hurricane.  It is after all, a heat engine, and thrives on heat.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top