BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I think you should dedicate your life to trash talking your exwife to your son and daughter, ruin all feelings they have for her and teach them to hate.

Where exactly did I indicate I trash talk my ex in front of the kids?  As a matter of fact I am far more liberal with the visitation than the judge ordered ...  

I keep thinking about what if my son hung himself with the rope instead of falling and breaking his arm .. or what if he broke his neck!  Do you have kids?  Are you divorced?  If so you should know the feeling ... if not ...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, I feel your pain. I know you want to do somthing but to be honest I don't see what you can do in this instance. I realize that is not much help. But from what I have read thats all I can say. You seem to be a good, caring father - KEEP THAT UP!!!!! Give your son what he needs and take care of him the best you can. But keep a close eye on things in the future and let your ex know how you feel (keep that verbal). And keep the important stuff in writing via email if you have to. The BIG problems are between you and her - try to keep the kids out of it.

Tint
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#3]
1.  It only happened a few hours ago and you are still spun up about it.  

2.  You're still pretty pissed at her and bf in general

You aren't thinking straight, yet.  Give it a few days..  

Besides what would you sue for?  What are your real damages? other than out of pocket hospital costs?

Can you get visitation changed over this?  Maybe, but remember little boys do dumb things, little boys get hurt.  Can you show gross negligence over this?  Letting kids play outside normally isn't gross negligence.  Going to war over this will only cost feelings and $$.  Talking over should (should)  straighten things out.

I once was a little boy  and I have 3 sons.  They break bones, I don't think any of them did it doing something all that out of the ordinary.  And none of them did it on purpose.  My youngest broke a wrist falling playing basketball and a week laater broke a toe helping at church.  About a week before my 48th birthday, I honked the bejeezus out of my shoulder showing my boys you don't need a boogie board for body surfing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
About a week before my 48th birthday, I honked the bejeezus out of my shoulder showing my boys you don't need a boogie board for body surfing.

LOL - did that about about a 2 months ago and I'm only 39
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe he should just live in a bubble so you can make sure that nothing bad will ever happen to him

At worst, he'll learn to be careful when on a ladder. Now he gets a cast all his friends can sign.  

Relax, the kid played, and he got hurt. We all did, and kids will do it for eternity. Not a big deal. Did you want your parents watching you every time you played? Think of what your friends would have done if you mom always watched you while you were playing.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:59:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Being a parent is scary buisiness.  I turned my back on my 4 year old for literally 10 seconds today, and she jabbed my 2 year old son with a toy "devil pitchfork"

I'm mad at myself, and at her, but I am not suing her, my wife isn't suing me, and we are not suing Walmart (the source of the EVIL impliment)

Don't sue, but you are totally justified in reducing or eliminating unsupervised visits with the ex.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Just heard overheard Dr. Phil say that the same sex parent is the most important person in the world to a kid. I would be super f'in pissed but I would try to think about what is best for my son.

On the other hand, I would consider letting the judge know for a little documentation and admonishments to you know who. God knows, this could be the "sign" that might scare those [blank] into looking out for your irrreplaceable son while they are in charge.

Good luck. I'm sitting here typing with my arm that went through a glass door when I was a supervised kid (broken arm, tendons severed, nerves damaged). Still passed a .mil and .gov physical. None the worse for wear.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:00:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like you son was doing what boy's do.....

No reason to sue the X..
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:09:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Your divorce decree should address all  how all uninsured medical expenses are apportioned.  I kinow its just %50 or $25, but she should pull her share.

Other than that, shit happens.  Jeebus

Try to use the logic center of your brain not the FUCK THAT BITCH center of your brain.

(Not that its logicaly relevant but, I have been divorced and I do have a child.  I only say this to avoid the circumstantial ad hominim shit that seems to pass for logic these days.)

Heinlein's comments were briliant.  He was making a point.  I hope someday you understand that point.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:16:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Take an anger management class

Best advice posted yet.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:38:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I played unsupervised in the backyard when I was five years old.
Hell, I used to ride my bike around the enitre neighborhood by myself at five years old, with no helmet! I had the best parents you could ask for!

Of course, this was around 1980.

I guess my parents would be considered abusive by todays standards

No, you should not sue your ex wife!

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:49:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Just go up to her and say, you were a shitty wife and now we know you are shitty mother too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:21:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Just go up to her and say, you were a shitty wife and now we know you are shitty mother too.

+1

And then let it go.  I don't get involved with lawyers unless absolutely necessary.  Very $$$ as you already know.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:35:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I can understand your anger after the shit you've been through but suing in this instance is not the way to go.  Unfortunately shit like this happens to kids, I look back and wonder how my two brothers and I ever survived our childhood.  We did some crazy shit, and my mother was about as protective as they come.  You should be thankful it's just an arm and he will be fine.  His penmanship will come with time, I mean the little guy is only five right?  By suing her you will only open up a can of worms that will come back to bite you later down the road.  Do you want her suing you if something should happen to him under your watch, you can bet your ass she will if you do so now.  Be the bigger person, ask her to please be more careful watching jr. and leave it at that.  You don't need things getting stressed more than they already are for your son because I'm sure he's already close to the max.  Take your son out to see a movie and tell him everything will be fine,  and be sure not to bitch about his mom to him since nothing good will come out of it..    Good luck
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:42:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Being a parent is scary buisiness.  I turned my back on my 4 year old for literally 10 seconds today, and she jabbed my 2 year old son with a toy "devil pitchfork"

I'm mad at myself, and at her, but I am not suing her, my wife isn't suing me, and we are not suing Walmart (the source of the EVIL impliment)

Don't sue, but you are totally justified in reducing or eliminating unsupervised visits with the ex.

When my daughter was 8 months old I was playing with some blocks with her on the bed (which is quite high), my wife was having trouble trying to set the VCR so I turned around to help her....  Not even 10 seconds later my little girl was on the floor screaming  I felt like the biggest POS, they're fast little turkeys and I' m sure it's just the beginning
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:47:05 AM EDT
[#16]
My 2 cents:

Let it go.  Boys do dumb things, and this one was not too bad.  Here in NY you can deny visitation for non-payment of child support.  Check your laws, call your lawyer.  Watch your back for Dept of Social Services.  Here in NY they are bad.  Your hate for your ex is nothing to my hate of DSS.  I put one in  the slammer for felony kidnapping.  Is that hate or what.  You best bet is to document it for your own protection from the .gov and her.  Pray it never happens again or on your watch.  .gov is dangerous, like playing with naplam.

Can the anger and the hate, along with the revenge.  Do not us you son as a weapon, he does not deserve it.  You will have a better relationship with your son if you do.   Also you will reap the rewards when they realize what you did and how much you really love them.  I just may take another twenty years for him to see it.

My ex has nothing to do with her kids.  I tell them she loves them but "cannot express herself properly".  She also owes me over $100,000 in back child support.  Quit your complaining, its a handy tool if you need it.  

I teel each one of my kids that I love them and that they are wanted.  I dispel any doubt about those two facts as often as needed, handing out reassurance frequently.

Love heals.  A smile does no good unless you give it away.  Smile often, dish out hugs and "I love you"'s.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:17:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I'M IN THE SAME SITUATION.

As much as it pains me to say it... just let it go.

If they get pissy about it, submit a claim against his homeowners insurance... nothing more.

You aren't alone on this.  I'd be on the warpath against my whore X wife as well.  But... it's just not worth it in the end.  My poor kid is so stressed out right now that he pees/poops himself almost every other day.  He started potty training over a year ago and this seems to be his only "control" left in his life.  He feeds off of my tension and feeds off of the problems in his mother's home.  He blames everything on his new stepdaddy.  He sometimes even cries when I leave the room without telling him where I'm going.  

Just let it go for his sake.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:27:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I had the same situation about 6 years ago. Except it was my daughter who broke her leg while visiting with her father. It was an accident and accidents happen. the people in question no doubt should have been watching the children closer, no arguements from me on that and that is exactly what I discussed with him after the situation. He paid his share of the medical bills according to the custody agreement,  my daughter healed well, and he watched her alot closer after that.  (she was 8 at the time)
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:29:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
As long as she is paying fro the med bills you shouldn't. I do not feel it is right to profit off of your sons mistake and loss. Especially if it is coimg from his mom.

Resident Kid

Colt,

A word to the wise, consider the source.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:32:21 AM EDT
[#20]
According to law, the homeowner & their insurance is obligated to pay for the injuries sustained. I damn sure would see that they paid. Along with that, I'd see that they paid for additional physical therapy and the cost of Sylvan Learning Centers to get your son back on track. "It's called liability and supervision, stupid."
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:36:07 AM EDT
[#21]
"If the whole world was a Honty tonk....we wouldn't need no lawyers to decide, brother we'd just step outside....."If The Whole World Was a Honky Tonk by King George Strait.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:50:58 AM EDT
[#22]
As much as you might want to... How is he going to feel when he knows that Daddy is sueing Mommy and Mommy is cursing out Daddy to him because she's being sued. It just makes for an even worse childhood.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:08:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Sue her for the 12 months of child support she owes, not for the arm.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:16:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Sue for your son breaking his arm?  Are you kidding?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:28:12 AM EDT
[#25]
i absolutely hate all this bullshit, "let it go", "forget it", "move on".., this is the kind of bullshit advice i was given about 25 years ago...., i followed that advice.., but wish now i would have killed the bitch because of the following 25 years of her hate has made me hate her all the more !!

there is never any closure in these incidents, they will continue to pile up, sorry to hear this Colt 6721, but i have been through what you are experiencing.., and trust me..., it will from this point on only get worse unless you stop it NOW !!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:35:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, sue.  Lawyers are the answer to everything.

I made my arm look like an S once and re-broke it twice after that.  Kids break bones.  It's part of life.  

Sure you want to get even with them.  Using your kid isn't the way.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:00:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
She is unfit. What if he'd been hurt worse or someone had kidnapped him? Go infront of the judge and get her visitation revoked. Easy way to do this is to get social services involved if you don't want to pay another lawyer. Then sue the boyfriend "homeowner" and his insurance company will settle if you get a half decent lawyer.

Editted because I can't spell...

This is the sort of thinking that will turn your boy into a loser and a pussy.

Give the boy some length on that leash and those apron strings. If you get vindictive with the mother, she will never give the boy any room to breath when he is with her. The boy needs to be able to make decisions onhis own and face the consequenses. He will get hurt sometimes, but, like with this incident, he will get over it and be a better person as a result.

Drop it. Smile and say to your ex "It could have happened to anybody".
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kids get hurt while playing.  Think of some of the things you did when you were a kid.

If you sue, your son will be able to detect the renewed tension and he just may feel responsible.

I'd let it go.

Renewed tension?  Do you think if you find your wife cheating, she leaves and moves in with the guy, gets half your cash and you get all the debt has tension subsided?

JUST.................LET..............IT...............GO. No good will come of a lawsuit, for either party. Be damn glad the little fella didn't break his neck.

AB
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#29]
HE is a kid

Kids do not so smart thing once in a while

Kids do break bones eveey now and then

Your wife cheating on you has nothing to do with your son breaking his arm

Deal with it

+1

My daughter, Miss Monkey Toes, when she was about 8 or 9, was playing with a friend on the swing set in the back yard, fell and broke her arm.  

I was in the kitchen, she did this not 50 ft away in the yard.  Am I an irresponsible parent?  Who do I sue?

This is kid stuff, and it happens.  As the guy said, deal with it.

BTW, she came out from having her arm set looking a little pale.  She said to me, "I didn't cry."
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top