User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#2]
We got one of little mind probing pricks.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Once while out backpacking/camping with my wife we were out in the middle of woods.  We were watching for falling stars etc because there was no moon and the sky was very clear.  We saw a meteor fall that was really odd....it made the usual line across the sky but it went from ~ 12 o'clock to 11:30 then made a 90 degree turn for a short distance then continued to fall from 11:30 to 11:00 then made another 90 degree turn and fell 11:00 to 10:30.  When it was done we looked at each other like wtf was that.  You never know.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
markm...whip up a couple of UFO's for me while I am gone, will you?

We could!  I need to buy some flares.  LotBoy still has Access to the helium tanks too!  w00t!

Where are you going?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
markm...whip up a couple of UFO's for me while I am gone, will you?

We could!  I need to buy some flares.  LotBoy still has Access to the helium tanks too!  w00t!

Where are you going?

I had to make my own bacon sandwich!!!  I wished and wished but it would just NOT exist...I had to go and make it!  Member xinflt said that wishing would make it happen!!!!  He LIED!!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh!  I thought you were going on Vacation or something.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe in extraterrestrial life.  Odds are in it's favor.

But damn, I've never seen any UFOs.

When friends of mine graduated from college, and started working for government contractors
with secret and "top secret" clearances, they obviously couldn't talk about what they did.

But when they tell me "you wouldn't beleive me if I did tell you".....  makes me wonder.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
falling flares?

Yeah, they're IR decoys.  Is there an AFB or Air Guard base in Phoeneix?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
falling flares?

Yeah, they're IR decoys.  Is there an AFB or Air Guard base in Phoeneix?

Umm...I didn't know IR flares were smokeless, bright yellow and could defy gravity by remaining nuetrally bouyant in air.

NOW....this DOES seem to make sense in the fact that PHX has one AFB ( LUKE ), one former AFB that is still used for touch and go ( WILLIAMS ), Air National Guard Units at Sky Harbor International and TONS of other military traffic...but read some of my more descriptive posts again.  They TWERN'T FLARES!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
falling flares?

Nope, familar with many types of flares from the Army.  These were brilliant, solid and a golden yellow....extremely bright!!!  Much brighter than incoming aircraft landing lights....in fact they were too far south of the PHX incoming eastbound flight corridor.

There was NO twinkling or guttering and they maintained a steady altitude during the two to three minutes that I witnessed them.  However the relationship between them changed slowly as I drove further soutdward.

By the way, this occurred on Monday night at approximately 9:03 PM.  They had disappeared, one by one, by about 9:05 PM.

Hate to brake it to you but this is a well known signting; its just flares that dissapear over a mountain range. Its been on TV many, many times. The TV people go back in the day and superimposed the mountain range; it showed EXACTLY the same outline of the mountain and how the "UFO's" dissapeared.

http://www.alien-ufos.com/incidentsphoenixlights.shtml

or google: Phoenix+ufo+flares+mountain
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#11]
They were weather balloons.  Case solved.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:50:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
They were weather balloons.  Case solved.

You forgot to mention that they were filled with swamp gas.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Oh!  I thought you were going on Vacation or something.

that's this weekend....you goin' to Payson with the crew?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Did anyone try to shoot at them?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
falling flares?

Nope, familar with many types of flares from the Army.  These were brilliant, solid and a golden yellow....extremely bright!!!  Much brighter than incoming aircraft landing lights....in fact they were too far south of the PHX incoming eastbound flight corridor.

There was NO twinkling or guttering and they maintained a steady altitude during the two to three minutes that I witnessed them.  However the relationship between them changed slowly as I drove further soutdward.

By the way, this occurred on Monday night at approximately 9:03 PM.  They had disappeared, one by one, by about 9:05 PM.

Hate to brake it to you but this is a well known signting; its just flares that dissapear over a mountain range. Its been on TV many, many times. The TV people go back in the day and superimposed the mountain range; it showed EXACTLY the same outline of the mountain and how the "UFO's" dissapeared.

Okay, I did NOT see the original PHX lights in 97 BUT from what understand these "flares" of which you speak flew all the way from Tucson to around Camp Verde or Prescott, Arizona and possibly to Nevada that night......FLARES????  Were they made by Duracell?

I have heard that explanation and from what it sounded like to me it was some folks coming up with a "swamp gas" theory just to explain for the sake of explaining.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
falling flares?

I don't doubt the nighttime lights were flare the AF was using to cover up the lights from earlier in the day....

www.rense.com/general40/phoenix.htm
www.alien-ufos.com/incidentsphoenixlights.shtml
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
falling flares?

I don't doubt the nighttime lights were flares the AF was using to cover up the lights from earlier in the day....www.rense.com/general40/phoenix.htm
www.alien-ufos.com/incidentsphoenixlights.shtml

hmmmmm......I am generally NOT a conspiratorialist but.......that sure sounds legit...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll jump in with my .02 cents on the whole alien thing.

I've heard it said that scientists have determined that
there are about 5 billion stars in the Milky Way Galaxy
(that's our galaxy for those who didn't know).

Using the hubble and other resources ,they have also
identified over a million galaxies to date.

Scientists have also proven that planets do orbit
around other stars,and have identified quite a few
already.

If you think that with over a million KNOWN galaxies
with over 5 billion stars each we are still alone,
your a moron.

The only question to me is weather or not aliens would
consider humans worth the waste of time to even
watch.

We'll probably kill ourselves off before even making it
out of our own solar system.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Keep your eye on the alien.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Let's leave aliens out of this as I do not believe "space aliens" have any more to do with legit UFO phenomenon that illegal aliens do.  Anyone who DOES believe that space aliens are visiting earth is wrong.

There are several possibilities that lie behind the UFO phenomenon,  I believe ALL of them to be earthbound.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#23]
M206 flares from F-16s at Luke AFB.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Okay I'll add my story. Several years ago while driving across the desert at 3:00 AM I too saw some lights in the very far distance.

They were very much as you described, a series of amber colored lights all in a row positioned just about 30 to 35 degrees off the horizon.

I first saw them when I made a turn around a small hill that went into a straight away piece on the road, I was driving straight at them and watched them for many miles, I was driving between 60 and 70 MPH and never got close to them, this tells me they were either very far away or heading in the same direction away from me.

I never considered that the lights were part of a 'single' object because of the sheer size that that would have made it. Considering that it was obviously some distance away, (many miles at least) or traveling away from me in the same direction, the span of all the lights would have been at least 1/2  to 3/4 miles wide. As I said before it is hard to know for sure since I have no idea how far they truely were.

I observed the lights for at least 15 minutes total time, I would lose sight of them occasionally as I made a turn, or went aroud a hill or something, but they were always in the same place on the horizon.

When I lost sight of them they disapeared all at once instantly, as though they had fallen behind a hill, the only problem is that there are NO hills in the direction of the lights for them to fall behind!!

At the time I thought they had just disapeared, but now I'm not so sure, thinking about it now it seems as though I lost them because they dropped beghind the line of sight of the horizon.......

I'm not saying I saw a squadron of UFO's or a single huge 'Mother Ship', all I'm saying is I saw some lights in the desert  and have NO idea what they were, your guess is as good as anybodies as far as I'm concerned. All I will admitt to is that it was all VERY VERY weird...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's the article for you lazy butts. They are beautiful. A friend called me from AZ last night talking about them. Too bad they couldn't show when we were there a short time ago....
Spectacular! She is going to send me some pics.

New "Phoenix Lights" sightings likely are flares

10:10 AM Mountain Standard Time on Wednesday, September 14, 2005

By Scott Davis / 3TV Producer

Strange lights spotted over Phoenix area

3TV
Strange string of lights seen over the Phoenix area Monday.

Our first call came in Sunday evening. Another on Monday. Tuesday morning Randy Clark called KEZ radio, which put him on air. His story was soon followed by dozens of others who had seen the same thing for the past several nights. Then we received a key piece of evidence: videotape of seven lights seeming to hang over the Phoenix area.

Clark thinks what he saw Monday night from his North Phoenix home is a sighting like the now-famous “Phoenix Lights” from March 13, 1997.

“Exact same thing but this was even bigger,” he said. “I watched it and watched it and watched it for five minutes and I could not believe it. These things did not move down, they did not move to the side, they stayed right where they were for well over five minutes.”

Todd Talbert and his family also saw the lights from North Scottsdale.

“My wife just happened to see them out a second-story window,” he said. “Our one son was watching it and we got our other son out of the shower to come watch. It was amazing!”

But for Lynne Kitei, seeing the string of lights Monday night was no big deal. She’s been seeing strange lights over Phoenix for years. Kitei, a Valley physician, was a key witness to the Phoenix Lights eight years ago. It was her videotape back then that helped the story gain worldwide attention. She had the camera rolling again this week, and she is convinced the new lights are military flares. “There were seven that were in a disorderly line from the get go,” she said. “On closer scrutiny, smoke trails were quite evident as well.”

Last year 3TV showed you what military flares look like, from directly underneath and from 70 miles away in Phoenix. Pilots from Air Force bases in Arizona and neighboring states routinely use the Barry M. Goldwater Range near Gila Bend for flight and target practice. Sgt Tim Ventrello from Davis-Monthan AFB explained that flares come in a wide variety of colors, brightness and burn times.

“The human eye can actually see one candle 30 miles away in optimum conditions. With these flares we're looking at about 1.8 million [candlepowers] so it can be viewed up to 40 miles away -- maybe farther out depending on conditions.

“If somebody's out in their yard looking up they'll be able to see it. From a great distance and because of the slow rate of fall, sometimes from a good distance it looks like they're just stagnant in the air, just a nice bright shining light.”

In other words, a set of flares might look exactly like what this week’s witnesses are seeing. Still, Randy Clark is not convinced.

“I don't know what to say, I don't know what it was. I'm not saying it was a UFO or anything. All I'm saying is something was in the sky last night. I don't know what it was, but it was huge and had big lights on it and it was a massive object- well over a mile."

Whether it was a massive object or a series of flares, one might think that pilots landing or taking off from any of the Valley’s airports would have reported something. We made the phone calls. A spokesman at Luke Air Force base said on Monday night the base did have 12 F-16 fighter jets out on training missions, but none reported anything out of the ordinary and it was not believed that any of them were using flares. Davis-Monthan Air Force Base did not return out phone call. Deer Valley Airport reported nothing unusual. Same with Goodyear Airport. At Sky Harbor, however, a different story. Donn Walker from the FAA told us of some chatter between a pilot and the control tower: specifically a comment about some unusual lights in the West Valley. It will take up to two weeks to receive a copy of that taped conversation.

In the mean time, the sightings continue. Shortly after we aired our report Tuesday night, more calls came into the 3TV newsroom from viewers wanting us to see the lights live.

We tend to agree with SSgt Ventrello and Dr. Kitei that folks are seeing military flares this week. The duration of the illumination matches that of previous flare we’ve seen. Adjusting the contrast setting on a TV monitor reveals what could be the smoke trails from a flare. Further: the way the lights appear to oscillate and drift are also consistent with flare activity.

Still- we want you to keep your eyes and your mind open (not to mention the camera rolling!). Until there’s a definitive answer, this case cannot be closed.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

pages.istar.ca/~vampire/alienthm/b1.jpg

You dumbass.....Thats not an alien.  Its Cher the last time all her BOTOX wore off.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

pages.istar.ca/~vampire/alienthm/b1.jpg

You dumbass.....Thats not an alien.  Its Cher the last time all her BOTOX wore off.

Ewwww......

Joyce, great article!  I am still not buying the flare biz.......doesn't mean it ain't possible but I have never seen flares that are so crystal clear without guttering or flickering.  Oh, and for the hundredth time I DO believe this was a man made phenomenon....just not flares.

So....any flare experts out there???
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#29]
My wife and I saw the first set of lights. Definitely not flares. I am not jumping towards the little green men theory either. Although the night we first saw the lights, the whole electrical system in the car we were driving vented magic smoke and ceased functioning....
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

...  Most interestingly I got to watch them DISAPPEAR, one by one.  Interesting phenomenon.

... Ever here of the Travis Walton UFO Case?

... This Saturday night, you'll be camping just a few short miles where this event took place.

... Can't wait to hear the first-hand account!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
When LotBoy and I were sending up flares tied to Helium balloons in the EAST valley, witnesses interviewed on the news also SWORE that these were not flares!  

Other witnesses also claimed that our UFO was moving in ways that were physically impossible.  People are dumb.

Yup!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
When LotBoy and I were sending up flares tied to Helium balloons in the EAST valley, witnesses interviewed on the news also SWORE that these were not flares!  

Other witnesses also claimed that our UFO was moving in ways that were physically impossible.  People are dumb.

Right.....sure....as if you and Lotboy actually ever LEAVE YOUR LOVE NEST!!!!

Actually it was quite extensively covered by the local news.  The "Red light sightings" in the Mesa/Gilbert area.

There was even some kook on the net that tracked the days and times that our UFO was seen.  It was a riot!

Said dude was on the Art Bell show for around 30minutes!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#33]
tag
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top