Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#1]
It's me.........

I know I'm not one of the "well known" members here, but I guess sooner or later it'll get around who this is about.  I don't seem to have much else left to lose anyways, so there it is...

I've been going through some really bad times the past year and this is the result of it, that you've read above.....

It's really humiliating.    I've never felt like a bigger waste of life.  I just want to get feeling better some, and get my job back again......  I really miss that, as boring and uneventful it was.   The "system" here is so screwed up, it's just amazing...... Little to no help for a guy who tried to live a "clean" life and stayed out of trouble....

Druggies and the rest of the lowlifes get shit handed to them, but nobody will help when I need it pretty badly....  it just doesn't make any sense...... They reward you for being scum, but decent folks (I like to think I am, anyways) get kicked to the curb.. There's something so wrong with that, I can't even begin to describe...

Thank you all for the well wishes and such.  It means a hell of a lot, coming from folks I've never even met before.  You're all a pretty good bunch.  Wish I had more real life friends like you.

John
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in for a few bucks. I never helped or donated to anyone on here in the 3 years I've been around. This sounds like a good time to start.

I wish you well John, pray above all else, it really does make a difference.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
OK HERES THE DEAL....

JB69,
    Post your PayPal addy on here so that the people who want to help out a decent guy like you can help out.
I live half-way across the country and the only help I can lend is some of the $$$ kind.

If you guys want to help give a good guy a helping hand please throw a few bucks his way.

******Pre-emptive SHHH*******
For the small % of forum idiots, morons, jerk-offs, trolls, or just you straight up jack-asses out there...
If you do not want to help a guy out by all means don't….
but please do us ALL a favor and STFU and not whore up this thread.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'd like to help but my money has recently gone to a friend who lost everything in Katrina. Good luck.

And some advice? Please dont ever post anything I post in Team in the GD.

It's a gentleman's agreement to be private communication. I'd be pissed but that's just me.

+1000

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#5]
What he said about CT is so true.

Quoted:
It's me.........

I know I'm not one of the "well known" members here, but I guess sooner or later it'll get around who this is about.  I don't seem to have much else left to lose anyways, so there it is...

I've been going through some really bad times the past year and this is the result of it, that you've read above.....

It's really humiliating.    I've never felt like a bigger waste of life.  I just want to get feeling better some, and get my job back again......  I really miss that, as boring and uneventful it was.   The "system" here is so screwed up, it's just amazing...... Little to no help for a guy who tried to live a "clean" life and stayed out of trouble....

Druggies and the rest of the lowlifes get shit handed to them, but nobody will help when I need it pretty badly....  it just doesn't make any sense...... They reward you for being scum, but decent folks (I like to think I am, anyways) get kicked to the curb.. There's something so wrong with that, I can't even begin to describe...

Thank you all for the well wishes and such.  It means a hell of a lot, coming from folks I've never even met before.  You're all a pretty good bunch.  Wish I had more real life friends like you.

John

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember a guy here needing help. UHLEK was his name I think. Had a baby and wife. Posted he was selling everything he owned then people started helping him. I think he ended up getting some kind of security job.

Next thing I remember I wasn't seeing him post. Then he posts how he has been at some other site because he can't stand us anymore. That's the last thing I remember from him.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
well if he's a team member he can always ask for his "donation"  back

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess I'll just repost my reply in Team...  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
OK HERES THE DEAL....

JB69,
    Post your PayPal addy on here so that the people who want to help out a decent guy like you can help out.
I live half-way across the country and the only help I can lend is some of the $$$ kind.

If you guys want to help give a good guy a helping hand please throw a few bucks his way.

******Pre-emptive SHHH*******
For the small % of forum idiots, morons, jerk-offs, trolls, or just you straight up jack-asses out there...
If you do not want to help a guy out by all means don't….
but please do us ALL a favor and STFU and not whore up this thread.

Good, lets get going on this!  Times a waste'in.

Thanks guys..... You have NO idea how much this means..... the paypal email is jbitt(at)optonline(dot)net  That's my old email from when my cable was still turned on, but it's the one the paypal account is on, until I can figure out how to change it.

And PLEASE......  send your info along too ?  Name and such.  I would really like to thank you each personally, and pay back anyone who sends something, when I'm able to again.   It might take me a while, but that's just how I am.  

I'm honestly kind of ashamed that I've gotten to this point.....  You all are a great bunch of folks and I'm truly blessed.  

Thank you so much.

John

And for what it's worth, as someone mentioned another guy here saying he hates this place ?  He must be an ass.....  Obvious trolls notwithstanding, this site has some of the most kind souls around on it.

I was absolutely floored when the guys suggested they could send me a little money, to help.....  I never expected THAT....... My biggest problem right now, is no place to go when I have to leave in a few days....  I really need a place to stay for a bit, and was hoping for some ideas, as everything I tried just failed completely.  

I just don't know how I can ever thank all of you......

I'm truly humbled by this.  I'd put a gun to my head, before I let you all down.

Thank you all..... So much...... I just can't say it enough.

John
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#9]
FYI. JB69 has posted his email address for his paypal account in the Team forum.

I'm not sure if we should post it in the GD, I'll leave that up to him if he wants to.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
FYI. JB69 has posted his email address for his paypal account in the Team forum.

I'm not sure if we should post it in the GD, I'll leave that up to him if he wants to.

JB69, give up the paypal addy so we can help a brotha out
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

go to the Team Forum brotha!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's in my last post above......  I just took the "@" and "." out for obvious reasons...  Web crawlers and all that...

Thanks guys......

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Dude do not feel humiliated.  Bad things sometimes happen to good people and I don't know if any one here hasn't hit a bottom at least once in their life.  There is also always a way out to something better.  Good times are ahead of you my friend cheer up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#15]
You know what man. I've been handin out a $5 spot now and then to the occasional bum recently and you know what? They don't care. I just sold 3 gasket sets here in the EE and I don't think the guy has sent the check/mo yet. IM me with your mailing address (or email me at [email protected]) and I'll see if he can't just send the $$ directly to you.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's in my last post above......  I just took the "@" and "." out for obvious reasons...  Web crawlers and all that...

Thanks guys......

paypal email is jbitt(at)optonline(dot)net

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Just wanted to say thanks again to you all here in GD who were so generous to send me something.

I might just have enough soon to put all my belongings in storage for a month or two...  You have NO idea how much stress that takes off me.  Without this, the city would just come, toss it all in their own stoarge, then auction off everything I own when I couldn't come up with the money to get it back..

You all have been so kind....  I just can't say thank you enough.

It amazes me how great and totally selfless some of the people here really are.

I have to go try and get some sleep.... Another doctor's appointment tomorrow....

Goodnight and thank you....

John
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#18]
God Bless you John. I don't know what to say except that I hope everything works out for the best. Stay strong brother.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#19]
OK, I hope you can take this the right way.  I'm serious when I say what I'm going to say.  For reasons I won't talk about, I know a ridiculous number of people that ended up on hard times and ended up living in their cars and whatnot.  Here's a couple things that work.  Again, seriously, this is meant as useful advice and not some kind of BS.  I'm not talking down to you, this is one way that I know for a fact works in a serious emergency.  Consider this as the experience of dozens of people that have been where you've been and have done the following.  It is NOT a disgrace to have an unfortunate accident and end up financially challenged for a period of time.  Remember, this is temporary, and not your natural state.

Get yourself a sign that says "Will work for food" and have about fifty fliers that detail your medical condition and what you are realistically able to do, along with the pay you need to survive.  This is a survival issue.  Also, if you can, and I don't know if you realistically can, go to the local Wallyworld or Costco or whatever and get a big can of peanuts or bottles of water or whatever you can physically manage to carry and load it up in your vehicle.  Head to the freeway exit with a clean shirt and clean pants and your workboots and your union card if you have it and solicit work.  If you still have a phone or a cell or whatever, and I hope you do, include your contact information on your flier.

When somebody stops to offer you money, tell them you'd prefer to work and the flier has your information on it and you'd very much like them to contact you ASAP with serious offers of part time work that can be done on the basis of when you can physically manage the work.  If they offer to buy you lunch or something, take them up on it and give them a five minute recap on your situation and what you can do.  I guarantee you will be taken for a ride a couple of times by people wasting your time and by lonely people that just want somebody to talk to for a while.  That's OK, that's how it goes sometimes.  Maybe you'll meet a Benefactor that will hook you up with your rent check for the month and that gives you breathing room to figure something out.  On the plus side, you may run into a person that is willing to provide you with the means to support yourself 100% above board and then some.  It happens on a regular basis.  I imagine you will be taken advantage of from time to time, but you will also happen upon people that understand your plight and will treat you fairly.  ETA, as far as the clean shirt and clean pants go, I don't mean to say that you don't currently do that, it's just that sometimes people get the idea that dirty clothing says that you're in need, but that's not what you're after.  You're a clean-shaven, repectable, responsible, upstanding (though unfortunate at this time) kind of a guy and you'll be a responsible member of this person's workforce.  You'll be employee #1 for this guy and you're advertising the same by how you're presenting yourself.

Also, contact your local Freemasons, Eagles, Elk, VFW, and any other fraternal organization.  Crash one of their meetings and just tell the person at the door that you are in need, can verify your need, and that you will be grateful to be able to address the membership that night.  They will feed you and listen to you, and may make a project of helping you out.  It might help to have some kind of paperwork that can be verified with a phone call.  My local Scottish Rite had a case with a woman that hit up multiple Masonic organizations for loot and was just looking for a handout from multiple sources, and they eventually blackballed her, so keep phone numbers and names and contact the people that need to be contacted on time.

Also, contact your local evangelical churches.  Go to their Sunday services and talk to the Pastor.  Maybe this will work, and maybe they will want to baptize you or something.  Your conscience will be your guide in this matter.  Do what you can live with.

Also, get that fucking .45 out of your mouth, it's no disgrace being broke for the moment.  I've been thinking about picking up a .45, maybe we can work something out.  It's going to be a couple weeks until I can offer you payment if it's a gun I want so I don't want to make it sound like I want to take advantage of your situation, so don't think about me too much as a source of funds just yet, but I'd pay fair market value.  I'm looking at a .45 that's about $350, so if your .45 is worth more than that then absolutely disregard this and sell it for what it's worth.

Finally, remember that your spirit is your asset in this time of desperation.  Remember that you are the man that put food on your table and a roof over your head while you were sound.  OK, that has changed, and so will your tactics.  So be it.  Hold your head up and get busy when you are able.  

If someone offers you a little cash and doesn't have work to offer, take it.  Take it along with that person's business card, and when the time comes, you can always send them a check to pay them back if you can.  If you can't for some time, that's OK.  Even if it's years before you can, and if you still have their contact information, you can do it then.  With interest, if you can, or choose to do so.  They're helping you out and would be astonished beyond belief if you sent them a check, so paying it back with interest isn't necessary.  You do what you have to do to make it happen for yourself.

Some day, when you're back on your feet and the surgery went well and you're doing OK, you'll remember this experience and hook somebody up that ended up shaking a cup on the offramp.  It sucks the very kcoc, but it's OK for now and that's what counts when the chips are down and you've got a farmer's hand.

I'm sure it sucks really hard to hear this.  I'll relate the experience of one guy I know that did this.  He ended up on the freeway offramp of the 101 in LA hustling peanuts.  He got up in the morning in the YMCA (avoid the Salvation Army if you can) and got his can of peanuts and bagged it up in ziplocs and sold his peanuts on the freeway offramp.  Crappy way to put a little food on the table but that's what he did.  At the end of the day, he took his meager earnings and bought oatmeal to eat and put the rest away to get his peanuts the next day.  Several weeks went by, and he did kind of OK.  He built up a little bit of savings and went about the business of putting his party together.  Over time, he got used to the hustle and learned to work the crowd a little bit and make a little more money on his peanut business.  Even got a couple of regular customers that got to know him and his situation, and they hooked him up with work.  From time to time, the work paid better than the peanut racket, and he took the jobs that were better than that.  I have seen him in a suit and tie, with a good job, doing his thing, and being an upright and respectable man with a well-paying job years on down the line.  Today, he is a successful businessman in Los Angeles, and his hard times paid off well with the person-to-person skills he acquired from his years on the street.  He paid back the people he borrowed from, with interest that he calculated himself, and is proud of his status today.

Again, I hope you can tell this is coming from the heart.  Don't do anything... short term that could potentially come back to bite you in the a$$ over a temporary situation, which is what this is.  You ran into a problem, that's all.  Everybody runs into problems.  Sometimes they're big problems, such as yours, sometimes they're small problems like your wife divorcing you and taking half your stuff and 80% of your paycheck.

I promised my girl I'd be back in bed by 1130 and it's 1200 now, so I gotta go.  I wish you the best of luck, you're gonna need it, and I'll see if I can paypal you a couple bucks.  It ain't gonna be much since I'm going back to school and living on... shall we say... a pittance?  But I'll try to throw something in the hopper for you.  I know I've given a couple bucks to the guys on the freeway exits, so I'll try to do something.

And to the a$$holes who are giving this guy sh!t, you can all go fvck yourselves for pissing on a guy that is in trouble for a time and is willing to work.  You should be ashamed of yourselves.  Drop and give me pushups til I'M tired.

ETA

Remember to sell sh!t to people that HAVE MONEY.  DO NOT stand on the offramp in Compton, go to Bevery Hills or whatever is the richest neighborhood you can work that won't get the JBT headed in your direction.  Sell sh!t to people that HAVE MONEY.  I repeat, do not got to poor neighborhoods.  Go to wealthy areas.  Again, best of luck, I hope this turns out OK in the short, medium, and long terms.  Prospect for Benefactors, and build up your business.

That's it, I'm outta here.  Go get 'em.

Dammit, one more story.  I know of a guy in NYC that used to work the morning subway crowd.  He was pretty much blind and didn't have the means to support himself.  He walked the subway and said, "New Yorkers, I am in need.  I am close to blind, and I need a pair of glasses.  Also, I need a job.  Any help you can offer is appreciated."  Then, he shook his fvucking cup and got what he could get.  The months stretched on, and he continued his appeal.  After a while, he disappeared.  Then, magically, he dropped by the subway again.  "New Yorkers, you helped me.  I was blind, but I got glasses and now I see.  I needed work, and I found work.  I needed a home, and I got an apartment.  Thank you, 9:30 train, thank you."

Stick to it, big guy, you can pull it off.  Do it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:48:04 AM EDT
[#20]
JB69

I am going to go spread the word in my hometown forums for you.
Hopefully other members will do the same.  We need to get as much going as possible
My goal was for 100 people to send you 10 bucks each to total 1000 bucks.

I think that could hold you for at least a couple months if worked out right.
Put most of your stuff in the smallest storage place you can get for it, around here
that might cost 30-50 a month.

Next, find yourself somewhere safe to live. I had a boss who one time had to live apart from
his family so he found ads in the paper with people with Rooms for rent (in their homes ) or apts above their garages.  There are always people who need a little income to help pay their housenote so they do this. You MIGHT find something as little as 200 a month..but who knows what its like in CT..I don't live there I know.  IF nothing else, find you a low rate hotel with a monthly cost.  I stayed in what I thought would be a Dive in Florida while helping with hurricane relief but it turned out differently. The indian family who ran it was so nice and helpful, I would take my family there anytime..it wasn't bad accomodations but it wsn't  the hilton either.  I know you are in pain but you gotta do a little looking around.

PeakOil had some good ideas, definitely my last resort but you could do them before winter. If your afraid someone you know would see you....they should see you and help you.   Handouts are not anyones favorite but if you can get the flyers to hand out, maybe you could get work doing something not stressful and turn your life around some.

Don't discount churches...if you didn't get help at one...go in and talk with one of the pastors.  Your story will touch someone and they should get you some help...even if its "hey I know brother so and so and he is looking for a helper part-time doing secretarial work or something like that".  If nothing else, churches have massive amounts of money at their discretion and they could help you...not to mention the spiritual help ...and the relief it will provide to talk to someone one on one and FTF.  Its easy to avoid someone over the phone but not easy to avoid helping them face to face.  You honestly want to work so thats definitely in your favor and surely in a church of a 1000 poeple, someone would know someone with a job you could handle...at least temporarily.

Will paypal you some money directly.

Essayons

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:03:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey Mods...Any chance we could get this tacked for a few days???
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:18:56 AM EDT
[#23]
pending staff approval.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Approved by EdAvilaSr for off-site donations.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Off site donations?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:19:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#28]
thanks to the staff for their help with this!!!

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Off site donations?

The Avilas do not want a general collection on the site to be presented as one lump sum.  The PayPal contribution deal is allowed, as it is "off-site."  There have been problems with these things in the past.  

I'm not sure why you bolded their name...

Anyhow, I get it. Sounds good to me! Thanks for clearing that up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
well if he's a team member he can always ask for his "donation"  back

I await the day you are banned from this site!  You are nothing but a troll!

+1000000000000
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Payday tomorrow, I'll pitch in too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Hey Mods...Any chance we could get this tacked for a few days???
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks whoever did it...you da man
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:18:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Done.  Good luck, man.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#38]
He should be able to file with SS for disabilities. He definately needs to call a case worker with his Social Security. If I'm not mistaken, when you become so incompasitated as to not be able to function in the trade you have, you may qualify for SS disability pay outs. Almost the same as retirement funds.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
OK, I hope you can take this the right way.  I'm serious when I say what I'm going to say.  For reasons I won't talk about, I know a ridiculous number of people that ended up on hard times and ended up living in their cars and whatnot.  Here's a couple things that work.  Again, seriously, this is meant as useful advice and not some kind of BS.  I'm not talking down to you, this is one way that I know for a fact works in a serious emergency.  Consider this as the experience of dozens of people that have been where you've been and have done the following.  It is NOT a disgrace to have an unfortunate accident and end up financially challenged for a period of time.  Remember, this is temporary, and not your natural state.

Get yourself a sign that says "Will work for food" and have about fifty fliers that detail your medical condition and what you are realistically able to do, along with the pay you need to survive.  This is a survival issue.  Also, if you can, and I don't know if you realistically can, go to the local Wallyworld or Costco or whatever and get a big can of peanuts or bottles of water or whatever you can physically manage to carry and load it up in your vehicle.  Head to the freeway exit with a clean shirt and clean pants and your workboots and your union card if you have it and solicit work.  If you still have a phone or a cell or whatever, and I hope you do, include your contact information on your flier.

When somebody stops to offer you money, tell them you'd prefer to work and the flier has your information on it and you'd very much like them to contact you ASAP with serious offers of part time work that can be done on the basis of when you can physically manage the work.  If they offer to buy you lunch or something, take them up on it and give them a five minute recap on your situation and what you can do.  I guarantee you will be taken for a ride a couple of times by people wasting your time and by lonely people that just want somebody to talk to for a while.  That's OK, that's how it goes sometimes.  Maybe you'll meet a Benefactor that will hook you up with your rent check for the month and that gives you breathing room to figure something out.  On the plus side, you may run into a person that is willing to provide you with the means to support yourself 100% above board and then some.  It happens on a regular basis.  I imagine you will be taken advantage of from time to time, but you will also happen upon people that understand your plight and will treat you fairly.  ETA, as far as the clean shirt and clean pants go, I don't mean to say that you don't currently do that, it's just that sometimes people get the idea that dirty clothing says that you're in need, but that's not what you're after.  You're a clean-shaven, repectable, responsible, upstanding (though unfortunate at this time) kind of a guy and you'll be a responsible member of this person's workforce.  You'll be employee #1 for this guy and you're advertising the same by how you're presenting yourself.

Also, contact your local Freemasons, Eagles, Elk, VFW, and any other fraternal organization.  Crash one of their meetings and just tell the person at the door that you are in need, can verify your need, and that you will be grateful to be able to address the membership that night.  They will feed you and listen to you, and may make a project of helping you out.  It might help to have some kind of paperwork that can be verified with a phone call.  My local Scottish Rite had a case with a woman that hit up multiple Masonic organizations for loot and was just looking for a handout from multiple sources, and they eventually blackballed her, so keep phone numbers and names and contact the people that need to be contacted on time.

Also, contact your local evangelical churches.  Go to their Sunday services and talk to the Pastor.  Maybe this will work, and maybe they will want to baptize you or something.  Your conscience will be your guide in this matter.  Do what you can live with.

Also, get that fucking .45 out of your mouth, it's no disgrace being broke for the moment.  I've been thinking about picking up a .45, maybe we can work something out.  It's going to be a couple weeks until I can offer you payment if it's a gun I want so I don't want to make it sound like I want to take advantage of your situation, so don't think about me too much as a source of funds just yet, but I'd pay fair market value.  I'm looking at a .45 that's about $350, so if your .45 is worth more than that then absolutely disregard this and sell it for what it's worth.

Finally, remember that your spirit is your asset in this time of desperation.  Remember that you are the man that put food on your table and a roof over your head while you were sound.  OK, that has changed, and so will your tactics.  So be it.  Hold your head up and get busy when you are able.  

If someone offers you a little cash and doesn't have work to offer, take it.  Take it along with that person's business card, and when the time comes, you can always send them a check to pay them back if you can.  If you can't for some time, that's OK.  Even if it's years before you can, and if you still have their contact information, you can do it then.  With interest, if you can, or choose to do so.  They're helping you out and would be astonished beyond belief if you sent them a check, so paying it back with interest isn't necessary.  You do what you have to do to make it happen for yourself.

Some day, when you're back on your feet and the surgery went well and you're doing OK, you'll remember this experience and hook somebody up that ended up shaking a cup on the offramp.  It sucks the very kcoc, but it's OK for now and that's what counts when the chips are down and you've got a farmer's hand.

I'm sure it sucks really hard to hear this.  I'll relate the experience of one guy I know that did this.  He ended up on the freeway offramp of the 101 in LA hustling peanuts.  He got up in the morning in the YMCA (avoid the Salvation Army if you can) and got his can of peanuts and bagged it up in ziplocs and sold his peanuts on the freeway offramp.  Crappy way to put a little food on the table but that's what he did.  At the end of the day, he took his meager earnings and bought oatmeal to eat and put the rest away to get his peanuts the next day.  Several weeks went by, and he did kind of OK.  He built up a little bit of savings and went about the business of putting his party together.  Over time, he got used to the hustle and learned to work the crowd a little bit and make a little more money on his peanut business.  Even got a couple of regular customers that got to know him and his situation, and they hooked him up with work.  From time to time, the work paid better than the peanut racket, and he took the jobs that were better than that.  I have seen him in a suit and tie, with a good job, doing his thing, and being an upright and respectable man with a well-paying job years on down the line.  Today, he is a successful businessman in Los Angeles, and his hard times paid off well with the person-to-person skills he acquired from his years on the street.  He paid back the people he borrowed from, with interest that he calculated himself, and is proud of his status today.

Again, I hope you can tell this is coming from the heart.  Don't do anything... short term that could potentially come back to bite you in the a$$ over a temporary situation, which is what this is.  You ran into a problem, that's all.  Everybody runs into problems.  Sometimes they're big problems, such as yours, sometimes they're small problems like your wife divorcing you and taking half your stuff and 80% of your paycheck.

I promised my girl I'd be back in bed by 1130 and it's 1200 now, so I gotta go.  I wish you the best of luck, you're gonna need it, and I'll see if I can paypal you a couple bucks.  It ain't gonna be much since I'm going back to school and living on... shall we say... a pittance?  But I'll try to throw something in the hopper for you.  I know I've given a couple bucks to the guys on the freeway exits, so I'll try to do something.

And to the a$$holes who are giving this guy sh!t, you can all go fvck yourselves for pissing on a guy that is in trouble for a time and is willing to work.  You should be ashamed of yourselves.  Drop and give me pushups til I'M tired.

ETA

Remember to sell sh!t to people that HAVE MONEY.  DO NOT stand on the offramp in Compton, go to Bevery Hills or whatever is the richest neighborhood you can work that won't get the JBT headed in your direction.  Sell sh!t to people that HAVE MONEY.  I repeat, do not got to poor neighborhoods.  Go to wealthy areas.  Again, best of luck, I hope this turns out OK in the short, medium, and long terms.  Prospect for Benefactors, and build up your business.

That's it, I'm outta here.  Go get 'em.

Dammit, one more story.  I know of a guy in NYC that used to work the morning subway crowd.  He was pretty much blind and didn't have the means to support himself.  He walked the subway and said, "New Yorkers, I am in need.  I am close to blind, and I need a pair of glasses.  Also, I need a job.  Any help you can offer is appreciated."  Then, he shook his fvucking cup and got what he could get.  The months stretched on, and he continued his appeal.  After a while, he disappeared.  Then, magically, he dropped by the subway again.  "New Yorkers, you helped me.  I was blind, but I got glasses and now I see.  I needed work, and I found work.  I needed a home, and I got an apartment.  Thank you, 9:30 train, thank you."

Stick to it, big guy, you can pull it off.  Do it.

Thanks man......  You know, that's actually something I never thought of.  

I guess if I do end up in a shelter, I could try it....  Sure aint much left to lose anyways.

An interesting idea, in any event......  Appreciate you sharing that.

Thanks,

John
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
JB69

I am going to go spread the word in my hometown forums for you.
Hopefully other members will do the same.  We need to get as much going as possible
My goal was for 100 people to send you 10 bucks each to total 1000 bucks.

I think that could hold you for at least a couple months if worked out right.
Put most of your stuff in the smallest storage place you can get for it, around here
that might cost 30-50 a month.

Next, find yourself somewhere safe to live. I had a boss who one time had to live apart from
his family so he found ads in the paper with people with Rooms for rent (in their homes ) or apts above their garages.  There are always people who need a little income to help pay their housenote so they do this. You MIGHT find something as little as 200 a month..but who knows what its like in CT..I don't live there I know.  IF nothing else, find you a low rate hotel with a monthly cost.  I stayed in what I thought would be a Dive in Florida while helping with hurricane relief but it turned out differently. The indian family who ran it was so nice and helpful, I would take my family there anytime..it wasn't bad accomodations but it wsn't  the hilton either.  I know you are in pain but you gotta do a little looking around.

PeakOil had some good ideas, definitely my last resort but you could do them before winter. If your afraid someone you know would see you....they should see you and help you.   Handouts are not anyones favorite but if you can get the flyers to hand out, maybe you could get work doing something not stressful and turn your life around some.

Don't discount churches...if you didn't get help at one...go in and talk with one of the pastors.  Your story will touch someone and they should get you some help...even if its "hey I know brother so and so and he is looking for a helper part-time doing secretarial work or something like that".  If nothing else, churches have massive amounts of money at their discretion and they could help you...not to mention the spiritual help ...and the relief it will provide to talk to someone one on one and FTF.  Its easy to avoid someone over the phone but not easy to avoid helping them face to face.  You honestly want to work so thats definitely in your favor and surely in a church of a 1000 poeple, someone would know someone with a job you could handle...at least temporarily.

Will paypal you some money directly.

Essayons

Hi again.....

Thinking about storage places, I called around some the other day.  The cheapest I can find is about 140+ tax, for a 5x15' 9' tall.......  I had no idea they got so much money for these things...  I think I can cram my life in one that size If I try hard enough.  Won't be easy, but maybe possible.

If I can get that job, I could swing it, but I'm still waiting to see if I hear back from them.  I'll probably call them in another day or two, so they know I'm really interested.

I've also been looking at the classified ads.  Specifically seeing what stuff costs here.....  I've been in this place 6 1/2 years now and really didn't know what rents run nowadays...... Cheapest rents I'm seeing are like 800/month for efficiencies....Ouch....  Have to look a little further up the line probably.  

In any event, I still don't have a way yet to PAY rent on a new place, so it's a moot point, but at least I'm getting some kind of idea what I'll be looking at, when I'm able to again....  It's so expensive here...  Kind of wish I could just pack up and go off somewhere else, but I just can't see that happening, with no money 'cushion' to get me there, and a place to stay, when I finally got to wherever. A 'blind' move like that would be pretty hard to pull off, right now. Especially so given my health problems.

And thank you so much for what you sent...... You AND everybody else....

Like I mentioned, it'll at least get me a couple months of storage for my things, which was a really big concern.   If I had my stuff someplace safe, I could even sleep in my car, if I had to, without the worry of my things being sold off and never getting them back again.

I just can't say it enough.

Thank you all.....  And also to Staff/Mods for tacking this....  

It may seem a small thing to most of you, but it sure AINT to me.......  Words can never describe how much this means to me..... If I could hug every one of you, I would in a second.....

Your generosity will NOT be in vain..... I swear my life on it.

I'm going to do every damned thing I possibly can, to not let you all down, and get my life back together.

This has given me a little hope.......  That's something I haven't known in an awful long time.

I am eternally grateful to you all.

Thank you....

John
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
He should be able to file with SS for disabilities. He definately needs to call a case worker with his Social Security. If I'm not mistaken, when you become so incompasitated as to not be able to function in the trade you have, you may qualify for SS disability pay outs. Almost the same as retirement funds.

Hey Trash...

I kind of explained in one of my other replies...  I HAVE filed with them for SSDI, but it's only been a month and a half.  I might not see a dime, for up to a year, I've been told, if it's approved...

You have to go through a series of considerations/denials/appeals, a few times before it actually goes to a hearing, where a lawyer would come into play, and a Judge would make a decision.

I still havent recieved my first denial, from this time around......  They're so slow it's painful.  

If/when I finally get approved, I'll be ok...... It'll be just barely enough to live on, but until then, I'm stuck in a really hard situation, since I have no family who'll help and no friends who could put me up for a little while.
And now that I'm getting tossed out in the street in less than two weeks, with absolutely nowhere to go, the situation only seems to get worse.......

I fight and fight but the "System" is so screwed up.  I'm humiliated as hell, that I have to use a damned food stamps card to eat now, as well as being on the medical assistance, but without it, I'm done......  I can honestly say I know what it feels like to have no soul left.... This whole experience has pretty much gutted mine..

It's been really hard.......

John
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Paypal sent. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Hey, the Social Security office should have told you, but you are eligible for SSI (a program for low or no income people with a disability.) They don't have to decide your disability claim (which we all know can take years!) You just go into the Social Security Office, and ask to apply for SSI (NOT SSDI) If you have no income, they will give you a small monthly stipend (I think around $500 to $800) Making the distinction between SSI and SSDI is important. With SSI, they give you the benefit of the doubt about your disability, and pay you while they decide your claim. Also, if you have ever served in the military, the VA has a program for disabled, indigent veterans, even if the disability is not service connected. I have been in, out, around, and through every hoop the Federal Government could throw at me, so I know some of the frustration and aggrivation you must be feeling. Good luck to you! I sure hope things get better for you soon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Hey, the Social Security office should have told you, but you are eligible for SSI (a program for low or no income people with a disability.) They don't have to decide your disability claim (which we all know can take years!) You just go into the Social Security Office, and ask to apply for SSI (NOT SSDI) If you have no income, they will give you a small monthly stipend (I think around $500 to $800) Making the distinction between SSI and SSDI is important. With SSI, they give you the benefit of the doubt about your disability, and pay you while they decide your claim. Also, if you have ever served in the military, the VA has a program for disabled, indigent veterans, even if the disability is not service connected. I have been in, out, around, and through every hoop the Federal Government could throw at me, so I know some of the frustration and aggravation you must be feeling. Good luck to you! I sure hope things get better for you soon.

I never knew that, good info..  Out of curiosity, if they send you SSI and later your denied, do they make you repay what they previously paid you?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Hey, the Social Security office should have told you, but you are eligible for SSI (a program for low or no income people with a disability.) They don't have to decide your disability claim (which we all know can take years!) You just go into the Social Security Office, and ask to apply for SSI (NOT SSDI) If you have no income, they will give you a small monthly stipend (I think around $500 to $800) Making the distinction between SSI and SSDI is important. With SSI, they give you the benefit of the doubt about your disability, and pay you while they decide your claim. Also, if you have ever served in the military, the VA has a program for disabled, indigent veterans, even if the disability is not service connected. I have been in, out, around, and through every hoop the Federal Government could throw at me, so I know some of the frustration and aggrivation you must be feeling. Good luck to you! I sure hope things get better for you soon.

Thanks Wirebrush...... I did learn that, at least this time around.   I applied for both SSI and SSDI about a month and a half ago.....  Still have yet to hear anything back yet though....

Appreciate you putting this up thought, there's been a couple things the guys have mentioned that I either wasn't aware of, or just didn't think about......

Thanks a bunch,  Take care...

John
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#46]
You will recover.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Payday is coming and I'll send some your way.  Hang in there!

SRM
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
mobius' trolling seems to be working.  All these personal attacks will get this thread locked.  

nah, the problem was just remedied.

Nice shooting Tex.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:56:50 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/prophanger1/moron2vx.jpg

you got it wrong............it's when you become a team member, is when you become a moron

That can't be true, because your a moron and not a team member.

That is funny right there I don't care who you are!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#50]
sent what i could....hope it helps.  hope everything works out, man
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top