Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Lab.Mine is absolutely wonderfull with kids.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#2]
PUG DAWG!

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm always humored by the people who are so negative on things. No thread gets up without a few naysayers to  piss on the parade. Once again.....

We have 7+ months before the baby comes and i am going to be home that entire home recovering from back surgeries.

We probably will go with a dog in its first year. It will be able to mold to the way we work here in the family but also be trained well enough

Perhaps you are only reading what you want to hear.  Don't ask a question here and expect people to give you the answers that you want.  

That you would get another dog before your child is born, is backwards.

That you think that you will be doing a good job of doggy care after back surgery is comical.

I wish your dog the best of luck.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Here are some thing to ponder, maintainance---- Most long haired dogs shed thier fur twice a year, can be a big mess. Some dogs require grooming, they need to get a hair cut about every two months. grooming costs? $20 to $40 or more. Go to the various web sites and see what the breeders say about the various breeds. It will open you eyes to what you will have to do for your pet. i have owned bloodhounds,low maintenance, lovable but they slobber/drule a lot. Cocker Spaniel, high maintenance. trimming, ear cleaning, etc. etc. but Very intelligent and lovable. German shepard, medium maitenance, but need lots of attention and exersize, like to bark a lot. LABRADOR RETRIEVER, my favorite, owned one in 1969-1977, another 1978-1987 and a new pup in 2005, low maintenance, will do what ever you want them to do, very willing to please, lovable and very intelligent. But like any breed, that is over bred, my son had one that was an idiot, had allergies, and was over-hyper. Go to a known breeder that has a reputation to uphold and pay up to $300 to $600 for a good dog.
I also have a Yorkie($500) for my wife. It has a heart of a great hunter and will hunt rabbits that are twice her size.( at 4 lbs she has never caught a rabbit cause she can't hang on when she gets a hold of them) She has rid my rural propety of many mice, moles, and gophers, and is very loyal and lovable. GOOD LUCK. below is my yorkie "TAZ" and yellow lab "Emily" about three weeks ago.
They both love children/ grankids.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:40:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Red Bone Coon Hound!...................amazing breed

Forgot about those - we fostered one for a few weeks and he was an amazing dog.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:41:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't get a Min Pin - many home and renters insurance companies consider them a bite risk and won't write you a policy.

My choice?  Cardigan Welsh Corgi - cute as hell, great with kids and other dogs, less than 40 pounds max, very agile, have a heart of gold and are very protective, don't shed, and are very intelligent.  Cute little rascals.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/grey2112/corgi7.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/grey2112/bridey.gif

How can Cardigans not shed when my Pembroke Corgis shed TONS?..They aren't that different are they?

Ours never shed.  Maybe he was different?  Could be the Sheltie in him, though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:43:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm always humored by the people who are so negative on things. No thread gets up without a few naysayers to  piss on the parade. Once again.....

You asked what we thought and we told you.   Sorry it didn't fit your plan.   I see lots of dogs with behavior problems come out of the situation you described.  You may be on top of it.   How do we know?   Before my back surgeries, I trained problem dogs for a local obedience club.  I've seen it all before.

Stickman is right.  You'd be better off waiting.

FB
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:04:04 AM EDT
[#8]
basset hound
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:11:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Weimaraner- we are on our second one after Boomer I had a heatstroke in June, Boomer II is only 4 mos old and so far house breaking is going fine. We have never had a better dog than our first Weim with our 2 kids, if this one is half of him, he will be fine. Full grown weighs about 75-90 lbs, short hair, doesnt shed too much, you may want to get one with a docked tail, their whip tail will clean a coffee table right off. The only medical problem ours had was a seperation anxiety problem, which we caused. Other than that perfect.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:16:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Get a mutt.   Best dogs out there for a family.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:23:11 AM EDT
[#11]
i say lab, but i'm way prejudiced.

they're big fat attention whores too.  (he says as he pads off to the potty amid a sea of yellow lab hair on the stone floor of the living room...)

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:26:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Border Collie
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:28:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Lab absolutley awsome around the family.My dog sonny will let my 1year old grandson yank on his ears and pull his tail without any complaints. Very protective and loyal,If raised right they are damn fine watch dogs.One time sonny boy[get the cream color if possible] put a country ass whippin on a chow that came on our property.With the dog's gentle demeanor this was really a surprise.Anyways there it is and God's blessing on you and your family.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:31:54 AM EDT
[#14]
The "Akita" breed, if I am not mistaken, is used in many cultures to protect children. They have a natural sense that makes them protective of kids.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:32:14 AM EDT
[#15]
+1000 on the lab.  We've had 2 females (plus 1 male from the neighbor's that practically lives here).  Never had any problems, they all listen great, never bitten at anyone, and VERY gentle when playing.  Even our cats will play with them (and kick their ass with those claws).
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top