Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I emailed this to Rush Limbaugh.
<QUOTE>
Hello Rush,

I am a member of the AR15.com website and found this story linked in a forum post there. I think this man is a real American and someone who the nation should hear about. His actions in support of the victims of Hurricane Katrina are nothing short of heroic.

Here is a link to the story from his club’s website.
http://lonestar-mvpa.org/events/2005/05_Katrina.htm

Thank you for looking at this.

Sincerely,
XXXXXXXXX
Huntington Beach, California
</QUOTE>

If anyone wants to send it to others (Hannity, O'Reilly, Gibson, ect.) maybe we can get this story out a bit. I think America needs to be reminded of just what an American should be.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#2]
What a great American! [and Texan!]

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:02:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
God bless him and protect him.

I have not had a "tear up" in years...

God bless him.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:02:48 AM EDT
[#4]
This guy is what Heroes are to me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:08:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
God bless him and protect him.

I have not had a "tear up" in years...

God bless him.

47 years old and I'm crying like a G*ddamn baby. Good story.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have received an overwhelming response from this community about John's efforts and how he might receive donations.  As much as we all hate paypal, I've set up an account at the end of his story on our club website for those that are interested.  There is also a snail-mail address if interested.

lonestar-mvpa.org/events/2005/05_Katrina.htm

Again, I'm proud to have him as one of our historic military vehicle club members.

And thank-you to all who have responded to this thread in such a positive manner.

~scott

EDIT:
At John's request, the paypal link has been removed from the club site.  He has kindly requested that if anyone wishes to donate, to give to a national organization that can do more with the funds such as the Red Cross.

John truly is an amazing, unselfish, heroic, man.
I  read his account and cried. And now reading the above has once again caused tears. I don't cry easily. This man is truly someone I am glad to have on our side.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#7]
It is an honor to share the planet with him.

And I NEEDED to read that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I wish former soldiers could get medals after they're discharged.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#9]
If he won't take money for the truck we should send him an AR15, 50 mags and a couple thousand rounds of ammo.

I can't believe he only took a .45.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If he won't take money for the truck we should send him an AR15, 50 mags and a couple thousand rounds of ammo.

He was a bit under armed.  Good thing he didn't get into more than one shootout.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was a bit under armed.  Good thing he didn't get into more than one shootout.

I think alot of people here severely overestimate what is needed in this type of SHTF scenario.  Looters and thugs are low lifes and any real sign of the ability to resist, ie: a handgun, immediately sends them scurrying.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think alot of people here severely overestimate what is needed in this type of SHTF scenario.  Looters and thugs are low lifes and any real sign of the ability to resist, ie: a handgun, immediately sends them scurrying.

My philosophy is that it is better to have it, and not need it, than to need it, and not have it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:10:12 AM EDT
[#13]
God Bless this good man.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:23:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I am humbled by this man and his story.
Great post thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:27:59 AM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#16]
My hat is off.

Thank you so much for ALL of your service past, present and future.

Tom Eaker
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't know what to say.

With all of the horror stories I've heard from friends and the media, I'm so unbelievably grateful that Sarge did this. With all of the bitching about the govt not doing enough, not quickly enough, not good enough, this man stood up and did what was right. Not for money or fame or glory, but because it was the right thing to do.

Sarge is a hero. He is a stunning example of the goodness of people.

THANK YOU SARGE.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#18]
One hell of a story. Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I needed this thread, it helps work against some of the negative posts.

I am glad an old soldier and his old surplus truck did such a thing.  I want to say something about how tough old military stuff is but can't get the words together to adequately show how impressed I am with someone who is considered fully disabled, and yet went out and helped so many.

I will stop now before I wonder about how action by someone who knows how to get things done helped so many while pictures of penn and his titanic are still somewhere on this site.

Thanks for the thread and a tag since I will scrape up some more funds.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#20]
That guy is a better man than I.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:03:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While there is some truth to that I'm far more comfortable if I have what is needed to absolutely dominated the situation. Having too much firepower is kinda like having too much money.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#22]
wow, great story.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:30:54 AM EDT
[#23]
May God Bless, and watch over him.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:34:37 AM EDT
[#24]
wow
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:46:49 AM EDT
[#25]
He found death, destruction, heroes, villains and good people.  It's quite a parable.

What a story.  What a man.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:41:44 AM EDT
[#26]
tag
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While there is some truth to that I'm far more comfortable if I have what is needed to absolutely dominated the situation. Having too much firepower is kinda like having too much money.

You can never have to much money!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:52:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the link to the story!

He is worthy of a medal!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Tag for when I have more time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:16:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Brass Balls and a Big Heart - a powerful combination.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Wow. I've got tears in my eyes.

Yeah.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Amazing just amazing

brings a lump to my throat

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#33]
That is an amazing story of what 1 man can acomplish.

Glad to know he is a Texan.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Great story, great man.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:07:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Most impressive that truely is a man and a true American
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:29:30 AM EDT
[#36]
For the nay-sayers (monkeyman???? who edited out his "call cnn" comment)

I just got off the phone with Chris Huntington of CNN.  He provided the following email to me.

<snip>
Scott -
I am the CNN reporter who rode along with John in Biloxi & Gulfport.
Can you help me get in touch with him ?
thanks,
Chris Huntington
CNN
212 275 7527
</snip>

He also said it was himself, John and his friend Tracy who rode around the Biloxi/Gulfport area for over an hour in restricted areas.  This ties to a story he published on CNN's site.  
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/03/katrina.mississippi/index.html

There.  Enough for you to satisify the dark side?
~m38a1
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top