User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Arfcom server goes down.
That is our achiles heel, we have just about gamed everything else out, zombies, ammo shortages, gas shortages.
Without Arfcom there will be no "getting both", gun pics of the day, nor "range reports" yup teotwawki, no doubt.

On the upside my lawn will get cut and my time shooting may surpass my time talking about it.

.....Lord have mercy on us.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
"The Big One" hits Southern California in late summer.  Most freeway interchanges are destroyed, and effectively all freeways into the LA basin are impassable.  Most airport runways are damaged to some extent.  The California Aquaduct is severed.  Several fires break out as a result of the earthquake.  Due to the difficulty of moving over damaged streets and the lack of water due to the shattered mains, the fires burn out of control.  By day 2 most poor people are out of water and civil order start to break down.  Rioting and looting starts.  Arsonists start setting more fires, some of which hit the hillsides and rage out of control.  Because of the damage to communication and transportation infrastrucure, emergency supplies of water can't get into LA in large enough quantities.  By day 7 even the well prepared are running out of water.  Water riots ensue everywhere.  The rot of corpses starts to become a major health issue and contributes to further panic and civil break down.
By day 2 LA is postapocalyptic with roving gangs fighting for food and water.  The sky is red/black with smoke from the out of control fires.  Those with fuel, off road vehicles, weapons, and ammo fight their way out.

Fixed it for ya.

Yeah, I was being conservative.  I consider this scenario more a matter of "when" than "if".  We have riots here when the Lakers win a championship; I shudder to think how bad it will get when this happens.  Fortunately I live up in the foothills and will be spared the worst due to elevation and upper-middle class neighbors.  Still, I'm taking a hard look at my B.O.B. and emergency supplies.

Keep in mind, when the looters in NO picked their areas clean, they moved into the middle and upper class neighborhoods. Quickly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#3]
SKYNET

Rise of the Machines....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:55:34 PM EDT
[#5]
aerosol viral agent attack seems to be the most likely.  unpredictable to weaponize, but when one has a pool of suicidal zealots, it wouldn't be that difficult.  low-effort delivery, and high payoff with geometric increase in effectiveness.

secondary benefit would be the staggering psyop effect.

frankly, i can't believe that the various terrorist groups are wasting time and energy working on the nuclear option, when they have such an effective alternative.

scares the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:18:55 AM EDT
[#6]
"BeastMaster" escapes from HBO....clones itself to be shown on every freakin' TV channel

HSN changes format to only sell "exclusive BeastMaster porcelin figurines"
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:23:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I think one thing a lot of people overlook is a fast-spreading, 'lethal' [to computers] computer virus/worm. An effective worm that could spread via multiple means and stay dormant until the proper time to strike could take out a lot of the computer systems in the United States. All at once we could lose for a period of weeks all TV, most radio, all electrionic money transfers [credit cards no worky, no withdrawing from your bank accounts, etc], almost everything that needs advaced computers could in theory be shut down. I think we really underestimate the effect this would have, on its own I doubt it could become TEOTWAWKI, but it would without doubt turn into SHTF, be ready to defend yourself and live off the land for a bit.

And if someone else decides to take advantage of it... The arabs could cut off our oil, or Terrorist could strike while we're weak, or China could do something, it leaves open all kinds of possibilities, non of them good.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:38:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Massive earthquakes causes the Liberal infested areas of California to break loose and sink in to the ocean.  Only the prepared ARFCOMers are able to escape.  The United States begins another Golden Age.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:00:24 AM EDT
[#9]
- The UN becomes an effective governing body.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:08:31 AM EDT
[#10]
another 'cane in northwest fl. ?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:18:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Oil runs out, society shuts down, instant stone age.......

of which I prefer to the OTHER doomsday scenario.......

HILLARY IN 2008

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:41:51 AM EDT
[#12]
massive numbers of canucks coming over the boarders into all the northern states.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:48:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
1. Biological attack / disease outbreak

All the MREs, water, and bullets in the world won't help one bit unless you have an airtight room with decontamination, air filtration, and the right meds.

it will if you have a good bol
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:15:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
massive numbers of canucks coming over the boarders into all the northern states.

Happens in my town every summer
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Massive earthquakes causes the Liberal infested areas of California to break loose and sink in to the ocean.  Only the prepared ARFCOMers are able to escape.  The United States begins another Golden Age.

Vulcan94

We can only hope.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Hildabeast elected President.

100 points
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#17]
tag
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I was being conservative.  I consider this scenario more a matter of "when" than "if".  We have riots here when the Lakers win a championship; I shudder to think how bad it will get when this happens.  Fortunately I live up in the foothills and will be spared the worst due to elevation and upper-middle class neighbors.  Still, I'm taking a hard look at my B.O.B. and emergency supplies.

Keep in mind, when the looters in NO picked their areas clean, they moved into the middle and upper class neighborhoods. Quickly.

Not a problem.  The Los Angeles area is BIG.  I'm over 1.000 feet higher than downtown and about 10 miles away.  Worst case this gives me a full day to prepare and bug out.  Zombies don't cover ground quickly unless they're pretty seriously motivated, and there's nothing up here to attract them and lots of things in the way to slow them down.  That said, my basic plan is to pack up the truck, and head over, or at least into, the Angeles Mountains.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I think the reason 9/11 impacted people on a "national" basis was the location: downtown Manhattan & DC: right in the backyard of virtually all the Media types who felt it vicerally: suddenly "everyone" in their lives "knew someone personally" who was either "in the towers" or "worked nearby"...

Whereas Katerina nailed the South and a city that while many people have visited, few Media types had a personal link to. It's easy to compartmentalize a disaster when it's localized like that. That and being an act of nature there's no immediate threat to "the rest of us" of a Category 5 hitting us, unlike the uncertainty of terrorists' intentions.

So, throw in another city-wide disaster/attack along the East Coast, combined with a mystery of what will happen next, and evacuations... and you'll get rising panic.

To combat panic part of my change in plans is to include other people - friends and family in preps. To bug out "in convoy" - wagon training it out of Dodge.

If I'm not at home I want my family to be surrounded by friendly neighbors and good friends either "sheltering in place" or wagon-training out of town, due West.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Canda invades from the North & Mexico from the south.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Godzilla befriends Michael Moore

GM
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#22]
At the same time, some of our RoP friends blow up the two working NYC aquaducts and the water supply for LA, and shoot up a decent number of large electrical substations (say 50) in each place.  Most people aren't aware that if either place loses the water (which in both cases comes from quite a ways away) there are NO local sources for water.  The electrical deal would be icing on the cake.  If possble, a coordinated attack on refineries all over the US would pretty much bring everything to a halt for two years or so.  The refinery attacks would just have to start decent sized fires and the refineries would have to be allowed to burn themselves out -- there isn't the staff to fight 30 fires like that at once.  I think that the Chicago power grid is pretty vulnerable, and so is the power grid actually in NYC, LA less so.   All of this is doable with some anti-tank missles, dynamite, and planning.  No bugs, radioactive stuff, or nerve gas needed.

People ask me why I have as much ammo as I do.  Well ... call it the curse of a suspicious nature.  Same with a store of food, maps, and so on.  Just in case.

And furthermore, it would just not be that hard to hit a decent number of dams across the US -- you don't need to blow them up, just open the gates and drain the lakes at full speed.  The dams downstream will not be able to release the water that fast and at best you have flooding problems, at worst damage, and either way you will not have any hydroelectric power until you have enough of a head behind the dam.  Do this with a few dams (like Glen Canyon, Hoover, Davis, Parker or Buchanan, Inks, Granite Shoals, Starcke, Mansfield, Tom Miller, and Longhorn) at the same time, and the refilling alone, apart from the flood damage, would be a major pain and would take a decently long time, especially in mid-summer.  That would be a decent chunk of lost power, and you wouldn't even have to approach the well-guarded nuclear power plants.

Lots of coal travels by rail.  No coal, no electricity.  You can take out railroad bridges easily and it's not like you can guard them all.

What would happen if SoCal ran out of water and power during a hot summer when the refineries had started burning, covering the area with smoke, everyone had run out of gasoline and deisel, the sewers were not running because there was too little water to move the solid waste, the illegal alien population, living on a cash basis, had run out of cash and is demanding food NOW or they will riot (which is the norm in Mexico, really), the welfare recipients have not had a check delivered in a week or more and want their check NOW, everyone knows that the police can't be everywhere but now they are out of JP4 and gasoline and the folks who usually keep an eye out for the popo know this.  And everyone knows that none of this can be fixed for months ... you can't get out, President Hillary Clinton has take all of your guns away for the children, and you can hear the shooting getting closer.  The police are no longer answering 911 at all ...

I can see this getting really unpleasant really fast, and I can see a good reason to have a lot of ammo.  Lots of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#23]
tag
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top