Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've never heard of IKEA.

+1
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have some of the solid wood stuff and it is near indestructible.  If I ever need a new computer desk that Jerker does look really really nice.

That said the hardboard stuff is variable.  Don't beat on it and it's good.

But also backorders on pieces is iffy.  I went to 3 when I was putting my  den wall unit together.  I didn't need the pieces put they added a nice touch to the finished project.

Whoever said dorm furniture is right.  Check out the size compared to "normal" American sized furniture.  Most is slightly smaller, mostly to fit and look better in European and especially Scandinavian apartments and homes

If you pay attention to what you get you can do pretty well in there.  And around Christmas, the deals on glassware, drinks, decorations and ornaments can be great.

If all else fails, let your wife or SO do the shopping or wandering while you watch the yuppies trying to fit the boxes into their smaller cars.  Almost all the furniture sets have at least one or two boxes that have a dimension that keep them from fitting in small cars.  (Bed frames, sides of wall units, etc)
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:13:57 AM EDT
[#3]
We just redid our kitchen with all Ikea stuff....I wonder if all that pressed wood will hold up??!!  Time will tell.  The old kitchen didn't seem much better as construction goes, but I never been a big fan of press wood either.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:38:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Hardwood is the way to go.  Like others, the IKEA stuff I have that's made of hardwood has stood up well, but the particle board crap usually hasn't, but it only applies to its finish.  What happens is the laminate finish peels off from the edge.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top