Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
NERDS!

mixnmojo0.tripod.com/teenwebsite/80spage/nerdogre.jpg

Yeah, but i like it, too.

I believe the proper word is "Geeks".  50 years ago they'd be biting the heads off chickens for show.  Now they know the dimensions of make believe ships used in make believe shows about pretend races and imaginary scenarios.

okay... I dig the Babylon 5 stuff, but the rest is really for geeks!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Star Trek, Smar Trek.  We all know the Argo from Star Blazers would wipe out the whole fleet on that poster with one shot from its Wave Motion Gun.  

TS
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Its nice that my favorite ship is included.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Wish I could buy a poster.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#5]
What? No Eclipse class SSD?

Sorry, had to let my inner geek out of his dank closet for a moment.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:12:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't see the Sulaco from Aliens!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:16:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow, they even have Moya from Farscape!!!

I love it how Star Wars over-fantasizes their ships. "The Super Duper Duper Star Destroyer has a bazillion gadillion infinity-watt turbolasers with a gazillion soldiers and a gazillion gazillion turbolasers"
Star Trek is more "sci-fi realistic" in the sense that you'd expect similar ships being constructed in the real 24th century.
But IMHO, Star Trek ships need more of the black/yellow caution stripes you see everywhere on Naval vessels. Also, lots of stenciled "NO STEP" markings everywhere
You know, put one on the dilithium crystal matrix so a grunt doesn't step on it. LOL
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:28:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:42:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I posted a similar site a while back:

Jeff Russells Starship Dimensions

Has the Halo Ring,Vger from Star Trek:The Motion Picture,The Dyson Sphere,Vorlon Planet Killer etc.

The only thing missing from either is a Magog Worldship.

way better site and better pics
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:07:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't see the Sulaco from Aliens!!

http://www.merzo.net/index.html
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:45:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I didnt see the Battlestar Galactica on there.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Kharn

Its there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Its there.

So it is, left hand side, mid-way from the top.  I thought it'd be down in the lower right with all the other misc. ships.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#14]
tag
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:27:50 AM EDT
[#15]

So, where is Spaceball 1?

-Steve

Exactly what I was thinking!!  

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:48:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

So, where is Spaceball 1?

-Steve

Exactly what I was thinking!!  

datacore.sciflicks.com/spaceballs/images/spaceballs_large_01.jpg

www.dyslexicpenguin.com/Images/Spaceballs4.jpg

WE BRAKE FOR NOBODY
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Isn't the borg cube a little too large?  It was obviously bigger than the ships in the shows, but it seems to be a bit too large in comparison to the TNG Enterprise does it not?  It wasn't THAT much bigger unless my memory fails me completely...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I have to repeat what others have said. If that chart does not include the Death Star (100 MILES in diameter for the first one, over 500 MILES for the second one), it is very incomplete. Of course, drawing the ships to scale would be hell...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have to repeat what others have said. If that chart does not include the Death Star (100 MILES in diameter for the first one, over 500 MILES for the second one), it is very incomplete. Of course, drawing the ships to scale would be hell...

They're in the second link.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Its nice that my favorite ship is included.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/scott1959/excalibur_lg1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/scott1959/excalibur_weapon3.jpg

Which is that one?

The "Excalibur" from Crusade" a short lived spin-off of "Babylon-5"

Big picture of "Excalibur"

Link to info and DVD.
www.scifidimensions.com/Dec04/crusadedvd.htm
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/scott1959/excalibur.jpg

Link to info and DVD.

Oh. Never saw it.

Looks a lot like the spaceships from some species in Star Trek: Voyager that used three of them to destroy a Borg planet with a similar energy beam. Species 8415, or whatever the hell it was....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're in the second link.

but Dahak isnt from David Webers:

Muitineers Moon
Armageddon Inheritance
erm forget the third

Basically the moon is a spaceship ( way to hide long duration military vessels... finad a convinient moon, dump it in the sun, park a ship there and cover it with rocks...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/scott1959/excalibur.jpg

Link to info and DVD.

Oh. Never saw it.

Looks a lot like the spaceships from some species in Star Trek: Voyager that used three of them to destroy a Borg planet with a similar energy beam. Species 8415, or whatever the hell it was....

Unfortunately, few people seem to have seen it, TNT showed them at odd hours and out of sequence......doomed from the start.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
No Yamato?????

Look at the very top.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't see the ships from Independence Day, weren't they 15 miles across?

very cool, though.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No Yamato?????

Look at the very top.

Sort of...
I can't really see it, but I bet that's the real life Battleship Yamato.
The second link shows a picture of the Battleship Yamato, and the first link shows that it belongs to Japan. The Space Battleship Yamato didn't belong to Japan, it belonged to whatever government was in the show. Memory is failing me right now. The Earth Defense Force?
Not the Space Battleship Yamato, which was of course built from the remains of the original ship.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#29]
missing the Vorlon planet destroyer, the death star
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No Yamato?????

Look at the very top.

Sort of...
The second link shows a picture of the Battleship Yamato, and the first link shows that it belongs to Japan. The Space Battleship Yamato didn't belong to Japan, it belonged to whatever government was in the show. Memory is failing me right now. The Earth Defense Force?
Not the Space Battleship Yamato, which was of course built from the remains of the original ship.

What are you saying?  The space battleship Yamato's the same size as the battleship Yamato because it's the same vessel.  Who cares if the space battleship isn't owned by the Japanese empire?  That's not important on a chart intended to show scale.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No Yamato?????

Look at the very top.

Sort of...

What are you saying?  The space battleship Yamato's the same size as the battleship Yamato because it's the same vessel.  Who cares if the space battleship isn't owned by the Japanese empire?  That's not important on a chart intended to show scale.

What I'm saying is that it's not the Yamato from the series.
It's an Ocean Going, not Space Going vessel.
That's why I wrote "sort of..."
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#32]

The nerdiness is strong in this thread.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Some of you guys need to get outside more often.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey.....where's "Serenity" ????

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
By reading this thread I think I have regained my virginity..................

Heh.....you sure did. Now smile for the camera.....

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The nerdiness force is strong in this thread.  

TS
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#38]
In honor of the DVD release...

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No Yamato?????

Look at the very top.

That is like a fly on the windshield...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Geek tag!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No Yamato?????

Look at the very top.

That is like a fly on the windshield...

"Okay, we need to take a left at Alpha Centauri, then-"
*thunk*
"What was that?"
"Uh... Battleship."
"Oh, is that all?"
"Yeah."
"Think we should stop?"
"Nah, it'll slide right off the hull when we slingshot around the binary."
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Thanks!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#43]
tag
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Kirk could definately kick Picard's ass.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Kirk could definately kick Picard's ass.

And Janeway could take them both on.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#46]

Space above & beyond right?

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No Yamato?????

Look at the very top.

Sort of...

What I'm saying is that it's not the Yamato from the series.
It's an Ocean Going, not Space Going vessel.
That's why I wrote "sort of..."

As the story goes, the Space going Yamato is just the old sunken Yamato that they resurrected and use in space.

-----------

FWIW Star Trek guys: You cannot defend the off-center engines the ships have. Particularly from the old series.

Putting engines on pylons to keep the radiation from contaminating the crew- Good.

Putting engines on pylons that are not on the ship's centerline? Bad.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#48]
They are not engines. They are warp nacelles. The impulse engines are on the center of the back of the saucer sections, and just bellow for those that seperate.
The warp nacelles only generate the subspace field for the warp bubble. The explination of where they are, behind and above, is not to shield the crew, but rather that is the point that generates the best warp field for the density/dimentions of a ship. The star gazer/constillation class was one of the last ships to have more than 2 since they found more than that did not make it any faster or more stable. (Do not count the rick bergman/brannage stuff as they ignored all of the old tech manuals after roddneberry died.)
Now they do have stresses up there, and thus these are explained away by the magical structural integrity fields and inertial dampners. If we could make artificial gravity, stands to reason we could do the others.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
web-worthy.com/saab/graphics/cgi/sideview.gif

Space above & beyond right?

Affirmative.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
They are not engines. They are warp nacelles. The impulse engines are on the center of the back of the saucer sections, and just bellow for those that seperate.
The warp nacelles only generate the subspace field for the warp bubble. The explination of where they are, behind and above, is not to shield the crew, but rather that is the point that generates the best warp field for the density/dimentions of a ship. The star gazer/constillation class was one of the last ships to have more than 2 since they found more than that did not make it any faster or more stable. (Do not count the rick bergman/brannage stuff as they ignored all of the old tech manuals after roddneberry died.)
Now they do have stresses up there, and thus these are explained away by the magical structural integrity fields and inertial dampners. If we could make artificial gravity, stands to reason we could do the others.

I bow before you, Oh Mighty One.  

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top