User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:29:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm procuring a bicycle. I hate those spandex-wearing traffic-blocking fags, and here I'm fixing to turn into one.

The horror…the horror…

tinypic.com/bj8x9f.jpg

This is probably more accurate.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I went to pick up some primers and powder Saturday. I left my cc at home and took the cash I would need. Good thing. I saw a Springfield Socom16 "ON SALE" for 1499.00. A .308 is on my "Somewhere in the future list." Not saying I would have wavered, but..........

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:51:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm saving.......continuing to try and pay down bills so that I can have a good savings and survival stash......I'm definately getting worried about the state of the economy right now.....

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
With the price of fuel now bordering insanity, how many of you are seriously cutting back? I'm talking driving, dropping unneccessary expenses, etc. We're combining trips or not going at all and trying to cut back everything from eating out to running the AC to much. I'm also trying to do more contract work when I can. I see retail price increases on everything coming soon with the increased fuel costs. Is anyone else feeling the pinch enough to scale back yet?

Quoted:
With the price of fuel now bordering insanity, how many of you are seriously cutting back? I'm talking driving, dropping unneccessary expenses, etc. We're combining trips or not going at all and trying to cut back everything from eating out to running the AC to much. I'm also trying to do more contract work when I can. I see retail price increases on everything coming soon with the increased fuel costs. Is anyone else feeling the pinch enough to scale back yet?

Yep, cutting WAY back. And saving up to purchase a motorcycle so I can STOP doing that (as much).

Quoted:
Folks, really.  Do the math on the price hike on gas, and how much more are you REALLY spending?  It ain't much, I'll tell ya.  Hype hype hype hype HYPE.

Bull! Used to take about $38 to fill the tank (when close to empty), NOW It'd take $82.00! That's freakin' 44 bucks! That's on a GOOD day! (in both cases). That was just a year - year and 1/2 ago! Not that bad??? $82 is about 8-9% of my monthly intake!
Yep, cutting WAY back. And saving up to purchase a motorcycle so I can STOP doing that (as much).

Quoted:

Quoted:
Folks, really.  Do the math on the price hike on gas, and how much more are you REALLY spending?  It ain't much, I'll tell ya.  Hype hype hype hype HYPE.

www.drabruzzi.com/images/chicken_little_on_acid.JPG

Quite true. Objectively, we've seen a price hike and not much else, unless you are in the SE United States.  Then you might run out of gas with no way to fill up.
But beyond that - what? Will the situation stabilize and return to normal, or will it continue to degenerate due to the incompetance of a lot of people?

We've seen prices DOUBLE in about a year to a year and 1/2. IMO, too soon to SAY if we'll see it stabilize & return to normal, or whether it will continue to degenerate. Time will tell. But REALLY, WTF did we expect?

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#6]
We don't make un-necessary trips and are conservative as it is.  The prices really just kinda piss us off.   While we can afford to spend more (at least right now) .....who likes to?  

The convienence, availability, quality, smell or anything hasn't improved on the gas and its still the same to us.

If it gets very much more expensive then I'll probably start huffing it to get my extra dollar out of it before putting in the gas tank
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Cutting back on trips but buying more ammo, MRE's and looking at a satellite phone.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#8]
We're doing what we can. There isn't anyplace we go with our car that we could be an alternative. So it's primarily a mater of just not going anywhere we don't have to. No shooting today, no trips into town until there is a list of errands that can be done all at once. We also are trying to plan as many purchases as possible using on-line retailers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:10:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I have passed on my weekly trips to the rifle range last
week and this week.

We usually go to town (20 miles to the nearest sizable store)
to shop once a week for grocerys.

Now were using up our old stock and trying to go once every 3 or 4 weeks.

I may take a vacation for 2 reasons.
1.Reduce travelling costs during this peek time.
2.Reduced sales at my workplace means less hours for me.
The normal 46 hour work week is down to 24 -30.
If I take my vacation now,I'll get paid for a full 40 hour week.

Intead of traveling or doing something for my vacation,I think I'll
spend it insulating my house better.

I may have to switch from Kerosene to our old wood fireplace for
heat this winter.

Locally,the minimum delivery cost for Kero or home heating oil is
over $500 bucks !

They won't even deliver for less.

As for the normal extras and fun stuff-nadda.
We'll be playing cards by fireplace light this winter.

The cost of oil products isn't effecting the economy though ,right ?  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cutting back on trips but buying more ammo, MRE's and looking at a satellite phone.

Used to have one from the company.

Make sure you are sitting down when you look at the prices.

Found one for $500.
http://www.satellite-phones-direct.com/gsp_sat_550.html
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Panic selling has created a buyers market in pickup trucks and SUV's. I just saw a brand-spanking new LOADED F-150 with a $26,500 MSRP marked down to $15,500. Nobody wants to buy them.

Every cloud has a silver lining, as they say.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Panic selling has created a buyers market in pickup trucks and SUV's. I just saw a brand-spanking new LOADED F-150 with a $26,500 MSRP marked down to $15,500. Nobody wants to buy them.

Every cloud has a silver lining, as they say.

Good time to pick up a good 4x4 bugout vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#14]
... Some can weather the fuel storm better than others

... I have however noticed a marked reduction in surface street and freeway traffic around here, it's very noticeable
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, it's making a difference.  Used to go out to eat after one or two classes a week with the guys, now we go maybe once every couple weeks.  Being as it cost me 60$ to fill up my tank now instead of the more reasonable 40-45$ it cost a year ago, I've made changes.  When buying food, i am definitely a little more selective in what I purchase, trying to get the weekly $ under 20 bucks.  
The problem with that is, costs of purchasing damn near everything has gone up while my income hasn't.
Monthly income?  600 bucks.  Rent/utilities: $320.  Gas: $100+  Food: 90$  Other assorted stuff: $80.  

there is 300 bucks in the savings account, after I pay the upcoming semester's 900 dollars in 'matriculation' fees.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
... Some can weather the fuel storm better than others

... I have however noticed a marked reduction in surface street and freeway traffic around here, it's very noticeable

Not here, people are still out and about, and driving faster than ever. I have noticed alot more aggressive driving on the roads around here.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm procuring a bicycle. I hate those spandex-wearing traffic-blocking fags, and here I'm fixing to turn into one.

We always become what we hate... Kill me if I ever turn to a liberal.

You guys are cracking me up!  And yes, I have been cutting back.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:00:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Playing Battlefield 2 has pretty much kept me from going out anyway.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Cutting back on the low MPG vehicles in favor of 4 cylinder Golf and Accord. My wifes SUV will see few miles for a while. I'll drive the Honda (a fantastic car by the way!) Accord and let the pickup rest more. The pickup get5 a whopping 15 MPG, Her SUV gets 17 MPG. The cars get twice that.

Second, we're making a consious effort to coordinate trips. Cutting way back on the 'quick trip' for whatevers.

Third, getting another load of firewood. The last heating oil we bought just before the storm was $2.17 a gallon. Its up just like gas since the storm.

Not going out as much to eat.

Having said all that, the price hike for gas is not that painful. I can afford whatever it takes. But thats not the point. The point is conservation and that's what we're doing.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I spent the first 2 days of dove season hunting at the little place close to home that has worked out well the last couple years, but it sucks this year. Now because I'm afraid that the birds just aren't flying yet, I have not made the drive to the better spots because I don't want to waste the gas on a 4 hour round trip if the birds aren't flying. Normally I would have gone just to go.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#21]
out on my bike the other day and another rider came by and said "just think of all the gas you're saving"
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Was weird driving to work today.  Probably half the traffic out as normal.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top