BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
People that have plenty of money do noy care about gas milage.

The people who really can afford it, live humbly for the most part.  Then there are the people in bankruptcy court, like my aunt & uncle.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any of you with eyes bigger than wallets that own a 2004-2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and don't want it, let me know :)

Get the 04, Jeep fucked up the 05's with stupid IFS. I know I know...it's for the children...of soccer moms.

No shit?  Damnit, didn't know that.  Goddamnit.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#3]
My 4wd 4runner gets 12mpg in town and 17 to 18 on the highway.

I might put plates back on my Honda 250 XL motorcycle for around the neighborhood and such.

May eventually trade the 4runner for a Corolla or Civic.  Hell of it is, I like small cars but have trouble getting into and out of them now that I'm old and fat.  But they will carry guns, dive gear, kayaks, bikes and such.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I am keeping the Z71. I am riding the motorcycle as much as possible though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am keeping the Z71. I am riding the motorcycle as much as possible though.

+1

My truck hasn't moved in 11 days.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#6]
i just got a new Nissan Titan...no way in hell im selling.  i'll run it till it dies.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:27:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Short commute for me so I would lose out money wise on buying an economy car. But we do use the wife's Honda more than my Ford lately.

And I am smarter about trips.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll just drive my motorcycle until there is snow on the ground.  Then the truck will get the nod again.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn, some of y'all act like similar conditions have never existed before...

To answer the question, nope, not getting rid of the K1500, or the 4Runner.  This being said, when the 4Runner dies (hopefully a long time from now) I'll be getting a small car.  I've done the sporting car thing ('88 corvette), the luxury car thing (96 Lexus SC 300), and will be done with the SUV thing (99 SR5).  The only vehicle that has been a constant has been a pickup as a second vehicle.  I am no longer an automotive hobbiest.

Unless you lease or are constantly payment bound, selling and rebuying for gas mileage is a loser...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My 4wd 4runner gets 12mpg in town and 17 to 18 on the highway.

I might put plates back on my Honda 250 XL motorcycle for around the neighborhood and such.

May eventually trade the 4runner for a Corolla or Civic.  Hell of it is, I like small cars but have trouble getting into and out of them now that I'm old and fat.  But they will carry guns, dive gear, kayaks, bikes and such.

What!  You must be a lead foot, or you have put larger tires on there...

I get 21 (80% highway/20% city) in my 99 SR5 4wd 3.4 which is bone stock.  When I do pure highway it touches 24.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#11]
My 1999 Ranger 4x4 averages right around 17mpg.

I'm keeping it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Fuck that. My Trooper will be lifted and fully equiped. Whatever I'd save in gas would be eaten up by what I'd lose on the truck vs. the price of the fuel-sipper (because I'm not going to buy some old junker).
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I drive a Co. car for work, and for my own travels I usually drive my Olds Alero.  It's the 4 banger and gets over 30mph highway.  My full size Chevy 4x4 only gets driven when I need to haul things.  Even then, it gets 18mpg empty, 14 loaded well above maximum GVW.  

ETA:  Not all fuel efficient cars are pop cans waiting to be crushed.  My GF got rear ended with my Olds, it completely folded up the front end of the Toyota sedan that hit her, smashed the battery, radiator, broke one of the ball joints, etc.  The Toyo was going 40, wasn't paying attention, and made a quick attempt to stop but it was too late.  Don't know how fast it was going at impact, but it had to be flatbedded.  My Olds had two marks in the rear bumper cover from the license plate screws, and my tailpipe was bent downward, cracking the headpipe.  My GF drove it home, and I got a new bumper cover and exhaust.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I've done the math.
Gas will have to get to at least $4.50 a gallon before I will be justified in buying an ecomomy car.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
got rid of mine 2 weeks ago....Now in a Honda Element

Do you now smell like a rose ?

see Pappy1 sig line
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've done the math.
Gas will have to get to at least $4.50 a gallon before I will be justified in buying an ecomomy car.

That should be next week.....better start shopping!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'll keep my 6 cyl. Grand Cherokee, after driving on I-285 in Atlanta for years and seeing what remained of small cars in accidents, no thanks.  Great gas milage but no protection.

That's what they are designed to do.  The front and rear crumple zones give way to keep the cabin cell and those in it alive.

But then, if we followed your logic, none of us should have wasted our time becoming engineers.  We can just eyeball the solution.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I cant, SUV is necessary in Miami. Ever driven in foot deep flood waters in your carrolla?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:11:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any of you with eyes bigger than wallets that own a 2004-2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and don't want it, let me know :)

Get the 04, Jeep fucked up the 05's with stupid IFS. I know I know...it's for the children...of soccer moms.

OH NO!!!  THe world ended1

In six months or less there will be dozens of lift kits for 05 GCs and people will be crawling all over Moab in them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I cant, SUV is necessary in Miami. Ever driven in foot deep flood waters in your carrolla?

I've seen plenty of SUVs stuck in flood waters.  Some even floating.  Say that you drive one because you like it, or because you like to pose around SoBe.  But don't make a bullshit excuse that those of us who've lived there know is a crock.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Even if we wanted to sell...there's need to be someone wanting to buy...

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#22]
We've got an 04 Silverado(17 mpg hway) and the gf just got rid of her Jeep Grand Cherokee for an 04 4 cyl Chevy Malibu (34 mpg hway).  Over 500 miles to a tank of gas in the Malibu is very nice.  I've got a couple of motorcycles that have been getting worked this summer (38 mpg avg).  The truck has been parked for the most part since May
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I got rid of my '04 F-150 about two weeks ago and got a little Acura.  It's a good thing too, gas jumped up over .50 cents this afternoon where I'm at. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll keep my Blazer...maybe I'll just move to Dubai...or Doha

Brian
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#25]
The trick is to have a good new or close to new economical car for daily use... like a Sentra or Prius..

and then have a 4x4 Truck or SUV for occasional use and for SHTF BOV...  and the truck or SUV can be an older model...

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I have not read all of the replies here, so this may have already be said: gas prices are having a MAJOR effect on resale of guzzlers.  I just bought a new truck, and as such, sold my 2000 F150.  This thing was CHERRY, very well maintained, dressed up and at only 48,000 miles, well below "lease" mileage.  I took it to CarMax, and yes, I *KNOW* I took the "retail trade in beating", but I am VERY low on time right now, and it was worth the loss in resale to take it to someone rather than fiddle-fuck around for 2-3 weeks with lord knows waht taking up my damned time.  Anyhow, I only got $5,500 for THIS PRISTINE, PAID OFF BABY.  You see, they go by CURRENT auction and resale, and everybody wants to get out of their guzzlers.  So, sell if ya wish, but yer gonna take a bath.

Oh, what did I get out of my V6 5 speed into in this time of gas crisis?  A fuckin' iForce V8 Tundra, BABY!

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#27]
After the sheeple get all torqued over gas prices and sell their SUVs/trucks, the market will rebound and we will see reasonable gas prices...probably under $2 a gallon.  It will take 12 to 18 months but it will be here.

Especially if they start building new refineries or terminals to handle refined products.  

I am fine paying $3-5 a gallon since that means more pain in the wallet for the undocumented aliens.  And hopefully FEWER drivers on the road.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OH NO!!!  THe world ended1

In six months or less there will be dozens of lift kits for 05 GCs and people will be crawling all over Moab in them.

Good for them.  I have no desire to fit a lift kit on one.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I might sell my new to me half ton yukon.  Since it gets 18mpg in my driving a lot of folks are amazed at that and I might get a decent price selling it, I did get it cheap.

I would simply turn around and go buy a pickup with a stickshift and powerful engine though.

When I crunch numbers I have found that gas cost does not really hurt me much on owning and operating a vehicle.

And I actually haul a lot and tow now and then so having a big vehicle is nice.

I am simply thinking of all the articles I read where folks wish they had bought the old muscle cars when everyone was selling them cheap because of gas prices or insurance.

I don't think a truck would be valuable later in life, but if I can buy it cheap I can use that savings to spend on gas and I have a vehicle that does everything I want to do.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#30]
This is where living life as a college student comes in handy. Allow me to explain:

Parking at my school sucks. REALLY sucks. The increase in student population has not helped. Even with my Green Zone sticker (student parking) it's a chore finding a spot. However, ALL spaces (faculty included) open up after 1500 and close after 0700 (only faculty can park there) on weekdays. On weekends (1500 Friday to 0700 Monday) all spots are open. If you have a spot during the week and move your car, you WILL lose your spot and you'll have to find another one which is usually nowhere near where you need to be.

My point: I've gotten into the habit of doing any and all driving on weekends only. Since quite a few people leave town for the weekend there are usually more spots open. This way I've learned to consolidate my trips and save gas, doing shopping and other chores Saturday and Sunday morning and getting back in time to find a decent parking space for my truck until the next weekend. During the week I'll either take the bus or walk. Even in Texas heat I don't mind...the route to my judo class takes me by the river where all the young college chicks sunbathe.h
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a new prius on the way.  I drive about 20k miles per year (at least).  It will save me well over a thousand a year at 3 bucks per gallon.  My previous car (Volvo S80) managed an average of 22mpg.

I cringe at the thought of giving more money to arabs so they can fund schools on islamic fundamentalism, terrorist training camps, etc.  Yes I know about opec.  Yes I know the ratio of gasoline which is imported vs. domestic, etc.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I have thought about the idea of a motorcycle.  

I will definitely buy a new mountain bike and beat pedals.  I need the exercise.

With gas at $3 dollars a gallon, it would take three and a half years for me to save any money by buying a second car instead of keeping the truck.  The current difference is only about $1,000 dollars a year.  This is a lot of money, but a truck can be a good thing to have.  

I can compensate buy charging a surcharge of tequila instead of beer every time I help a friend move.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top