Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#2]

The Navy's last two squadrons flying the Cold War-era fighter jet

Just about every jet in the AF/Navy inventory is Cold-War Era.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#3]
www.military-aerospace-technology.com/article.cfm?DocID=69

Some of you might be interested in this site. An old friend of mine, Major Karl Hart, co-wrote the article. He has been involved in many projects and much research as an Air Force engineer.

Aging aircraft is a big problem, but not one that can't be resolved.
The agencies and military have  Aging Aircraft meetings once a year at the very least. A lot of larger companies such as  Lockheed Martin, NASA and the FAA are getting involved to help save and or repair/find uses for the aircraft.
meeting in 2000

Misplaced links for 2001-2004, but you can look them up if interested.

Meeting 2005

Enjoy you aircraft buffs~
I love reading about them!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
It's called spraylat.

The Spraylat company
www.spraylat.co.uk/index.php

Seal Aerospace Vehicle for Storage
Most of the aircraft at AMARC are protected by a vinyl compound called Spraylat which is sprayed on as two coats. The first coat is black in colour and seals the aircraft to protect its systems from dust, moisture, animals and insects. The second coat, which is white in colour, helps to reflect sunlight and heat to protect the aircraft from excessive internal temperatures. Before the spraylat is applied the engine intake and exhaust areas have desiccant material installed into them, and other openings are filled with barrier material of barrier tape. All access panels, doors, plates and other small openings are sealed using tapes. Brushable spraylat is used in conjunction with the barrier materials and tape to ensure a complete seal. Cockpits are vented and glass and acrylic surfaces are cleaned before the spraylat is applied to them.

After all this work has been completed the internal temperatures will be within 10-15 degrees farenhuit of the outside air temperature. Without this protection the internal temperatures would reach in access of 200 degrees and this would result in the rapid deteriation of the plastic, rubber and heat sensitive components.

These are pictures of a Navy LC-130F at NAS Pt Mugu for winter storage in Spraylat (no engines and avionics in time for the 1987 Antarctica deployment).

It had been recovered from a crash in Antarctica, sent to Air New Zealand for repair to make it safe to fly back to the USA, then 18 months at NADEP Cherry Point, then to Pt Mugu for final acceptance.

These are the stages of Spraylat application.

The base commander was not to happy to have his flightline sprayed black and then white.
Too f'ing bad was the response from the squadron.

Quoted:
I take it the white covering on the planes is some sort of plastic to protect them from sand?
ETA..cool it with the he said, she said I'm a troll please!

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#5]
You know, the boneyard is a sad place.  But if or when we have a serious shooting war, those F-4s and everything else will come in handy.  They are still a dangerous foe, and having those pickled down there could be our saving grace someday.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Those aircraft should be in muesums, NOT left to rot under the sun....makes me sick to my stomach. When will we learn the lessons from WWII, about destroying our history?

-Storm
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:56:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Those aircraft should be in muesums, NOT left to rot under the sun....makes me sick to my stomach. When will we learn the lessons from WWII, about destroying our history?

-Storm

If you would go back and read some you would find out that they not being left to rot.  And there are plenty of aircraft in museums.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

-Storm

I am a pilot, and I LOVE those old warbirds.  But.  They are only good for museums and historical flights.  They are old.  A friend of mine has flown those old things (stratoliners, PB4Y...) up until recently, having the wings fall off is a bad thing.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top