Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I could give a crap about the tsunami. America got blamed for it, because 'we' didn't put in early warning devices.
Fuck 'em.

I care more about the criminals in NO than anyone in the Indian Ocean who lost their life, due to the reaction of the international community, and their outright insistance that 'we' were somehow partly to blame.

I'm from Biloxi. I care about what has happened there, because I have family who lived in Long Beach, and North Biloxi.
My grandparents graves were near the beach.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OK, I rescind my disbelief from earlier:
www.hurricanelivenet.com/aftermath.wmv
Looks like they got hit much harder than what was being reported and SHOWN this AM.......

Stick with your original statement... I haven't seen any footage of beaches strewn with corpses or enture houses floating away to sea.

Most of that is just debris in the streets. Unless there is some concernfor picking through that shit to find valuables a team of dozers and a bunch of long dumpsters can fix most of that. Aside from a few buildings it looks like most of the city is structurally intact and that most of the damage can be fixed to the street level shops ans such. It's not like they'll have to demolish buildings and sart fresh.

Still nowhere near the damage of the tsunami.

That is because some of the bodies arre in attics of houses, or pinned under heavy debris in the flooded areas, and some got washed out when the storm surge washed back out.

Just because you don't SEE the bodies doesn't mean they are not there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#3]
To steal someone else's analogy:

Hurricane Katrina = Apples
Tsunami = Screwdrivers

Compare them if you want.

How many people, really, are trying to say that the devastation and loss of life in either isn't tragic, or that they have no sympathy to the people who have lost their worldly posessions?

Not too many.

The point is, the mayor of Biloxi is a media-attention-grabbing-whore who found a clever soundbite.

He's an idiot.

Is the devastation and loss of life horrible?  It surely is.

It is NOWHERE near the devastation and loss of life from the tsunami.

Stop acting like it is.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That is because some of the bodies arre in attics of houses, or pinned under heavy debris in the flooded areas, and some got washed out when the storm surge washed back out.

Interesting point. What is the reason for so many people going into their attics?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting point. What is the reason for so many people going into their attics?

Simple.

When you live on the Gulf Coast, you get desensitized to the whole 'hyping up' of storms like this.
I was in Okinawa in '75 for a typhoon.
I was in Biloxi in '79 for Fredrick.
In 1998 I was in Havelock NC for what ever hurricane that was.
I was here in NoVa in '04.
I went throug h ahurricane in the mid 80's in Fla.

It's part of life.

THis storm was MUCH worse than they predicted, especially on the eastern side, which is always the more destructive side.

People have gone through major hurricanes in the past with minor flooding in Biloxi, but nothing of THIS scope, which was very intense.

INn '69, Camille did a lot of damage to Biloxi, and up until now, it was the most powerful hurricane o nrecord. She might still be, but even Camille didn't cause this type of storm surge.

People went into their attics because of the rising water, which they were unprepared for.

There is a clip of a man in Biloxi who lost his wife because the water split the house IN HALF.

The flooding with Katrina is what people were unprepared for.

Camille had stronger winds, but the flooding was not anywhere near the level of Katrina.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Simple.

When you live on the Gulf Coast, you get desensitized to the whole 'hyping up' of storms like this.

It's part of life.

THis storm was MUCH worse than they predicted, especially on the eastern side, which is always the more destructive side.

People have gone through major hurricanes in the past with minor flooding in Biloxi, but nothing of THIS scope, which was very intense.

INn '69, Camille did a lot of damage to Biloxi, and up until now, it was the most powerful hurricane o nrecord. She might still be, but even Camille didn't cause this type of storm surge.

People went into their attics because of the rising water, which they were unprepared for.

There is a clip of a man in Biloxi who lost his wife because the water split the house IN HALF.

Camille had stronger winds, but the flooding was not anywhere near the level of Katrina.

The part in red is completely false.  They predicted a Category 5 Hurricane with 175 MPH winds and a 30 foot storm surge.  What they got was actually less severe.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Tsunami = Screwdrivers

How many people, really, are trying to say that the devastation and loss of life in either isn't tragic, or that they have no sympathy to the people who have lost their worldly posessions?

Not too many.

The point is, the mayor of Biloxi is a media-attention-grabbing-whore who found a clever soundbite.

He's an idiot.

Stop acting like it is.

What in the hell do you expect him to say, moron? Oops, we shoulda lived in Oregon and not here. Attention whore? He's the freaking Mayor, this is part of his job description..talk to the people about what just happened to your city. It is devastated! Thousands of homes businesses gone and in the end, loss of life. that is a tragedy and is devastating. I think this is probably the mindset of him saying the statement..I don't think he gives hoot in hell if you think it is comparative to another nation (not in America) that has gone through traggedy. The Mayor has to worry about getting water, food and shelter to his city. He called it a Tsunami..whoopty dipty schitt. iIthink he can call it a bomb  blast for all I care. Biloxi will never be the same. There are homes that have been there since before the turn of the century..through countless storms, the civil war, depression..everything has been wiped away in about 12 hours.

So, yeah, it was a Tsunami to the many lemmings and sheeple watching it on t.v., it's probably the only way they'd understand the gravity of the situation.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Tsunami = Screwdrivers

Not too many.

He's an idiot.

Stop acting like it is.

A wall of water came from the sea and obliterated the city he's mayor of.

That's close enough for me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven't read beyond the original post.

We lost a couple hundred (By the time the butcher's bill is tallied)

The tsunami victims lost thousands.
We will end up losing money... they lost generations...

No comparison.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I haven't read beyond the original post.

We lost a couple hundred (By the time the butcher's bill is tallied)

The tsunami victims lost thousands.
We will end up losing money... they lost generations...

No comparison.

I think the total death toll will be 10-20K (which is still a lot smaller than the Tsunami but extremely bad)
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Simple.

It's part of life.

The part in red is completely false.  They predicted a Category 5 Hurricane with 175 MPH winds and a 30 foot storm surge.  What they got was actually less severe.  

Have you ever been in a hurricane?
Have you ever gone through a hurricane season where the worst possible scenerio was predicted, and failed to come true?
I have.

People have a way of taking in their past experiences and applying them to a current situation, and coming to a decision.
If I had been living in Biloxi, I would have stayed, but I would have gotten my daughter and my most valuable possessions out, and I would have stayed behind to defend whatever was left.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:36:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Have you heard people saying this?  I have to say I totally disagree.

People didin't see the tsunami coming.  They didin't have time to evacuate, let alone prepare for it.  People KNEW this was coming and were told to get out of Dodge.  People that didn't are all of the sudden stunned when they're getting trapped in their attic or on their roof (the lucky ones).  

I have a hard time feeling all that sorry for those types.  Before you think I'm cold-hearted, I DO feel sorry for everyone who suffered loss, except for those who had the opportunity to avoid it.

I don't think this is at all like the tsunami, and I think it's ignorant to make that comparison.  

What say you, ARFCOM?

Geez. It was just a figure of speech. Emotional comment on the magnitude of the situation.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:22:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Have you heard people saying this?  I have to say I totally disagree.

People didin't see the tsunami coming.  They didin't have time to evacuate, let alone prepare for it.  People KNEW this was coming and were told to get out of Dodge.  People that didn't are all of the sudden stunned when they're getting trapped in their attic or on their roof (the lucky ones).  

I have a hard time feeling all that sorry for those types.  Before you think I'm cold-hearted, I DO feel sorry for everyone who suffered loss, except for those who had the opportunity to avoid it.

I don't think this is at all like the tsunami, and I think it's ignorant to make that comparison.  

What say you, ARFCOM?

that about sums it up

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:47:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>
<snip>

Have you ever been in a hurricane? No
Have you ever gone through a hurricane season where the worst possible scenerio was predicted, and failed to come true? No
I have. Sorry to hear that

People have a way of taking in their past experiences and applying them to a current situation, and coming to a decision.
If I had been living in Biloxi, I would have stayed, but I would have gotten my daughter and my most valuable possessions out, and I would have stayed behind to defend whatever was left.

I answered your questions, although I found them to be irrelevant.  I don't care whether your or I have ever sat through a hurricane.  

FACT:  Hurricane Katrina was a Category 5 hurricane with RECORDED 175 mph winds.
FACT:  ALL of the predictions (not just the worst case scenarios) put the storm surge ABOVE the capabilities of the citie's levvy system.

Regardless of what your prior experiences are with hurricanes and the like, that information should be enough to tell you to GET THE HELL OUT if you can.

On a note of slight agreement, I can't say that I wouldn't be tempted to stay and try to protect my stuff from looters and the like, as you mentioned (after sending the family to safety).  When it comes down to it though, my stuff isn't as valuable to me (or my family) as my life is.  YMMV
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:32:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Have you ever been in a hurricane? No
Have you ever gone through a hurricane season where the worst possible scenerio was predicted, and failed to come true? No
I have. Sorry to hear that

I answered your questions, although I found them to be irrelevant.  I don't care whether your or I have ever sat through a hurricane.  

FACT:  Hurricane Katrina was a Category 5 hurricane with RECORDED 175 mph winds.
FACT:  ALL of the predictions (not just the worst case scenarios) put the storm surge ABOVE the capabilities of the citie's levvy system.Biloxi doesn't have a levvy system

Regardless of what your prior experiences are with hurricanes and the like, that information should be enough to tell you to GET THE HELL OUT if you can.

On a note of slight agreement, I can't say that I wouldn't be tempted to stay and try to protect my stuff from looters and the like, as you mentioned (after sending the family to safety).  When it comes down to it though, my stuff isn't as valuable to me (or my family) as my life is.  YMMVYou are right that my life is more important than stuff, but having been through quite a few hurricanes, I would have made the choice to stay based on my past experiences, like some of the people in the Biloxi area did.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top