Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:46:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Once the New Madrid fault slips, you'll have to dive to party in the French Quarter.

SRM
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Rebuild it like they did Galveston after the Great Storm.  Raise the city by a dozen feet or so.

How about a new land fill, dump a bunch of trash, compact it, and re-build NO.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#3]
It will flood again when they rebuild.  Insurance should not be granted for fools that build in a known areas of floods.

N.O. is a great town and should remain, but it will flood again.  "Wake up" all those who invest in that situation.  As you continue to gamble in a high probability hurricane location, the day will come again with bad weather on the coast. Complaining Floridians can't seem to understand this concept.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It will flood again when they rebuild.  Insurance should not be granted for fools that build in a known areas of floods.

N.O. is a great town and should remain, but it will flood again.  "Wake up" all those who invest in that situation.  As you continue to gamble in a high probability hurricane location, the day will come again with bad weather on the coast. Complaining Floridians can't seem to understand this concept.

26 billion+ in claims are expected. Im sorry, but thats ALOT of hookers and blow.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Just rebuild it like Venice..problem solved...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

26 billion+ in claims are expected. Im sorry, but thats ALOT of hookers and blow.

$96.00+ per capita

Eric, would you mind covering for me too?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Got the venom out of my system.  Please excuse me.  Now let me try to post a rational thought.

Recurring Hurricanes with disastrous effects:
Texas,  Louisiana,  Mississippi,  Alabama,  Florida,  Georgia,  South Carolina,  North Carolina,

Recurring Nor' Easters with disastrous effects:
Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massassachusets, New York,  New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont

Recurring Tornados with distrous effects:
Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, Indiana, Ohio

Recurring Blizzards with disastrous effects:
Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana,

Recurring Earthquakes with disastrous effects:
California, Hawaii, Alaska

Should we just tell the residents of all of these states, "screw you, you should have known better."?

How about the people in New York on 9-11?  Fuck them too?  Terrorists had long targeted the Big Apple and they knew it.  Shoud they have moved?

Use a little common sense and engage the brain ahead of the mouth.

Just where the hell are you guys proposing the NOLA residents move to avoid recurring weather disasters?  You want 2 million people to move into your backyard?    This list is just what popped into the top of my head as I typed.  Christ, it could go on and on.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The history has been reclaimed by the sea and has been swept away.

o0o0o0o
Point well taken.

No, it hasn't.

Judging by the pictures we've seen so far, the downtown area has not been 'devestated', 'destroyed', or even 'flattened.'

The nearby French Quarter looks remarkably untouched!

'Swept away'?

Nonsense!

Wishful thinking, eh?

Eric The(LaisezLeBonTempsRoulet)Hun

Go scout it out and report back. Bring back some girls gone wild stuff!

Seriously I hope it has been made out to more then it is. Anyone know N.O.'s that could relay first hand accounts?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#10]
If it's cheaper in the long run to build it where it stands, then that needs to be considered.  But you have to look at it like an aging car... at some point it doesn't make sense to keep rebuilding it... move it a few miles.  Out of the bowl.

It's only not flattened because the 'cane shifted.  Question is, do we rebuild there again, on the land that is still sinking and wait until it is utterly destroyed, or do we cut our losses and relocate the city?

This may be an interesting test of imminent domain.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#12]
A good friend of my son talked to his parents a little while ago.  Their house and all of their personal belongings are gone forever.  it is getting worse by the hour.  Tens of thousands have lost everything they owned.  The levy holding Lake Pontchartrain back has a major breech.  Attempts to place 3000 lb sandbags into the levy are being undertaken.  Unless they can stop it, the water in the city will continue to rise until it is level with the lake.  All major traffic arteries are impassable.  I hope everyone will understand the passion in my earlier posts.  I really don't think folks are comprehending the scope of what has happened.  There is a very really potential of upwards of 1 million refugees from the greater NOLA area.  Please pray for them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Got the venom out of my system.  Please excuse me.  Now let me try to post a rational thought.

Texas,  Louisiana,  Mississippi,  Alabama,  Florida,  Georgia,  South Carolina,  North Carolina,

Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massassachusets, New York,  New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont

Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, Indiana, Ohio

Should we just tell the residents of all of these states, "screw you, you should have known better."?

How about the people in New York on 9-11?  Fuck them too?  Terrorists had long targeted the Big Apple and they knew it.  Shoud they have moved?

Just where the hell are you guys proposing the NOLA residents move to avoid recurring weather disasters?  You want 2 million people to move into your backyard?    This list is just what popped into the top of my head as I typed.  Christ, it could go on and on.  

How many tens of billions is this going to end up costing?

Point is that it is retarded to build a major city in a hurricane prone path, let alone one that is BELOW sea level.  If it wasnt below sea level it wouldnt be nearly as bad, but it is.  Its nothing more than gambling except when you lose you lose BIG time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Point is that it is retarded to build a major city in a hurricane prone path, let alone one that is BELOW sea level.  If it wasnt below sea level it wouldnt be nearly as bad, but it is.  Its nothing more than gambling except when you lose you lose BIG time.

So, according to your theory, it was retarded to build every city along the coast from Texas to New York City?  Talk about retarded.  Go look in the mirror.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:46:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#17]

A good friend of my son talked to his parents a little while ago. Their house and all of their personal belongings are gone forever. it is getting worse by the hour. Tens of thousands have lost everything they owned. The levy holding Lake Pontchartrain back has a major breech. Attempts to place 3000 lb sandbags into the levy are being undertaken. Unless they can stop it, the water in the city will continue to rise until it is level with the lake. All major traffic arteries are impassable. I hope everyone will understand the passion in my earlier posts. I really don't think folks are comprehending the scope of what has happened. There is a very really potential of upwards of 1 million refugees from the greater NOLA area. Please pray for them.

Once water in mass starts moving there is no stopping it.  Guess it's like a Dam breaking.  Horrible.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Go find a nearby lake. Drain it. Build a town in the bowl of mud that remains after the water is gone.

Repeat as necessary.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

$96.00+ per capita

Eric, would you mind covering for me too?

Probably more "per capita" for those seeking hurricane insurance.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
New Orleans would, thereafter, be sitting next to a salt-water/brackish bayou...formerly known as the Mississippi River.

You see, we Louisianans know quite a bit about our history and our geography.

Google 'Old River Control Structure' in Marksville, Louisiana, and see what you think.

Eric The(ProudLouisianan)Hun

Presactly right.  Truth of the matter, it is less about the geography of New Orleans, than it is about the meddling hand of the Corp of Engineers.  They insist on trying to prevent the river from changing its course as it it has done for countless eons. (Can you say "oxbow lake?") The result is insufficient beneficial flooding and silt deposition in the marshes and  they are no longer present to mitigate the impact of the storm surge.  Many scientists have predicted for years that this would happen because of the interference.  Sooner or later  the ole gal will have her way and New Orleans will no longer be a port.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah and if I lived where tornados were guaranteed to hit time after time and still chose to rebuild there, I would say the same thing.  Of course if that were the case, I wouldn't live there in the first place.

Uh...you live in Texas, it appears, where the vast majority of tornadoes (numerically, of course, for we are big...the state is, if not some of its citizens) occur.

Just how many times during your short lifetime have we had to rebuild New Orleans?

10 times? 20 times? 30 times?

How about just this once?

What the dickens are you complaining about, then?

Eric The(VeryPerceptive)Hun

Exactly what I was driving at.  Texas is periodically affected by several major disasters.

Tornadoes
Heat Wave
Drought
Hurricane
Flooding
Illegal Immigration
1" Snowfall

Just kidding about the last one...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah and if I lived where tornados were guaranteed to hit time after time and still chose to rebuild there, I would say the same thing.  Of course if that were the case, I wouldn't live there in the first place.

Uh...you live in Texas, it appears, where the vast majority of tornadoes (numerically, of course, for we are big...the state is, if not some of its citizens) occur.

Just how many times during your short lifetime have we had to rebuild New Orleans?

10 times? 20 times? 30 times?

How about just this once?

What the dickens are you complaining about, then?

Eric The(VeryPerceptive)Hun

Yes I do live in TX.  But I don't live in an area where the topology forces tornados right down upon me.  Yes it's a risk, but a calculated one.

And I suspect that within my lifetime this is the worst the NO has seen.  My comments are not limited to just NO, but any locale where repeated destruction occurs.  And I'm not complaining, I'm expressing my opinion about what I believe to be a lack of pragmatic thinking.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Go find a nearby lake. Drain it. Build a town in the bowl of mud that remains after the water is gone.

Repeat as necessary.

Uh, how many times has this happened to New Orleans in recorded history?

Thank you, Chicken Little.

Can we keep 'our' oil, then?

Surely y'all won't wish to use any of it anytime soon, right?

Does your state even have any oil refineries?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_refineries#United_States

Uh, no, it doesn't.

Hmmm, then I'd keep my trap shut and pay the small dab of money necessary to keep the Louisianans happy....and their oil flowing.

Eric The(VeryRefined)Hun

Another state started the whole oil biz, guy named Col Drake. Stop acting like the world revolves around Texas (or Louisiana)

<<< BIL from Louisiana, relatives evacuated from N.O. AHEAD of the storm instead of risking the lives of rescue personnel by playing  chicken with a Cat 5.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Repeat as necessary.

hr

Uh, how many times has this happened to New Orleans in recorded history?

Thank you, Chicken Little.

Can we keep 'our' oil, then?

Surely y'all won't wish to use any of it anytime soon, right?

Does your state even have any oil refineries?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_refineries#United_States

Uh, no, it doesn't.

Hmmm, then I'd keep my trap shut and pay the small dab of money necessary to keep the Louisianans happy....and their oil flowing.

Eric The(VeryRefined)Hun hr

Events like this dont happen on the scale of human life spans.

The price for building NO where it was has finally been paid.  Now we all have to pay for it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Texas was born in Louisiana! It was at the Grand Lodge of Louisiana, in New Orleans, that the Texas Patriots planned their Revolution in 1836 against Mexico!

Almost a quarter of the men at the Alamo were from Louisiana, or had settled there before the Texas Revolution.

Eric The(Sensible)Hun

Hell yea....Viva New Orleans....plus would none of yall miss mardi gras
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, Indiana, Ohio, TEXAS

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Well, if we're NOT going to rebuild it... I got dibs on the architectural salvage.

I've got a 1867 Victorian Italianette of my own safely planted in the midwest that would just love to be adorned with some ironwork from N.O.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Another state started the whole oil biz, guy named Col Drake. Stop acting like the world revolves around Texas (or Louisiana)

the world doesnt revolve around TEXAS?  Damn i guess my history teachers were all wrong

texas should just add lousiana to the fold and we can become our own country
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#35]
i have had a chance to think on this and after looking at this pic i got an idea.

rebuild N.O. in a way that it will not flood again and make it a "super city"
keep the french quarter, garden district etc the way they are but add a 225' high retaining wall and oversized pumps to keep the water out.  in downtown build several residential and comercial 30 to 40 story towers and link them together with an above ground tram.  set up parking lots outside the c"ity" and if you want to go down town you have to take a buss, toll road or a train.  just don't build any new single family dwelllings or tenements that can and will flood.  if you want to live in down town N.O.  you have to live in a tower.

(commie flame suit on)      
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Let it rot? Fuck you! I was born there!

The French Quarter? I love the French Quarter! The Superdome? Tres bien! The Mississipi river? It may as well flow through my veins! That piss smell all around Bourbon Street? ...well, I guess that can go...

Don't think of it as a waste of money or as a stupid place to build. Think of it as man's stubborn refusal to admit defeat at the hands of nature! And I'd drink to that!

Orleans Parish... REPRESENT!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I do live in TX.  But I don't live in an area where the topology forces tornados right down upon me.  Yes it's a risk, but a calculated one.

Well, Wichita Falls and nearby Iowa Park have been devestated many times by tornadoes within living memory....but they both keep getting rebuilt.

Texans live there, by gawd, and they wouldn't have it any other way.

Good for them then if that's what they like.

And I suspect that within my lifetime this is the worst the NO has seen.  My comments are not limited to just NO, but any locale where repeated destruction occurs.  And I'm not complaining, I'm expressing my opinion about what I believe to be a lack of pragmatic thinking.

Pragmatic thinking will result in higher levees and more efficient pumping systems, and a change in building codes.

Not the destruction of an American City.

Osama Bin Laden would be proud to claim credit for destroying New Orleans.

We shouldn't be.

Eric The(Historic)Hun

I never advocated the destruction of the city.  And to my knowledge I don't have control of the weather.  My point in all of this is that I cannot understand why people continue to rebuild in places where there is a high probability that they or their property will be destroyed by the same phenomena repeatedly.

And by all means, lets bring the terrorists into the conversation.  I guess I should be grateful that a Nazi reference wasn't invoked.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

At least in New England we have the good sense to build our cities ABOVE sea level.  Nor'easters that severly dammage are fairly rare.  NO gets hit every few years by a Hurricane.  This was the latest so far, and IT WILL be hit again.

I have no problems with rebuilding NO provinding they do it on HIGHER ground.  Only an idiot would rebuild in an area they KNOW will be flooded again (and again and again) and requires pumps to keep it dry.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:49:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Do you know that New Orleans has existed for almost 300 years, right where it is?

Not true technically.

It was not ten feet below sea level back then
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, according to your theory, it was retarded to build every city along the coast from Texas to New York City?  

No just the ones BELOW Sea Level...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Just move it... it worked for Rock Ridge!

"So, the hurricane will blow into the fake New Orleans. And it'll think it's the real New Orleans, but we'll know, it's the fake New Orleans!"

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
-snip-
I never advocated the destruction of the city.  And to my knowledge I don't have control of the weather.  My point in all of this is that I cannot understand why people continue to rebuild in places where there is a high probability that they or their property will be destroyed by the same phenomena repeatedly.

And by all means, lets bring the terrorists into the conversation.  I guess I should be grateful that a Nazi reference wasn't invoked.

No matter where you build, you cannot control nature, and you WILL, AT SOME POINT, face a disaster.

The entire east coast is on a tectonic shelf and just because we haven't had any MAJOR quakes lately, doesn't meant that we won't.
Everything from coast to coast is built with the knowledge that some disaster could wipe it out, but we have still built cities.
And will continue to do so for as long as man has the ability.

DC is built on a swamp, and they have flood issues when we have large amounts of rain.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
After reading this thread, and the other, y'all should be ashamed of yourselves!

Really.

'America' is just a name scratched on your birth certificates at the appropriate place.

That's all.

Y'all have no thought for the history that this City enshrines.
Tsk, tsk, tsk.

How shallow. How vapid. How....stupid.
Eric The(TellingItAsItIs)Hun

Agreed 100%
It amazes me how poorly educated and unsophisticated some of our more unfortunate members are
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
No matter where you build, you cannot control nature, and you WILL, AT SOME POINT, face a disaster.

Sure, in a few billion years the sun will become a red giant and engulf the earth...

The point is intelligent life forms will try to minimize risk, in some cases the likelihood of repetition of disasters makes it sensible to cut your losses and move on (Houses near Kiluaea or the entire town of Centralia, PA, for example)

If you want to ignore nature, fine, but please don't ask everyone else to insure your choices. I'm not really interested in seeing tax dollars go to rebuild casinoes or bars or sports stadiums, and I think that the Founding Fathers would tend to agree.

While we are at it, anyone ignoring an evacuation order should pick up the tab for their rescue.

(sorry if it sounds cynical, but after the post 9/11 lawsuits, where some folks felt a million plus was not enough, tapped out the unbridled compassion for which this nation was known)

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#46]
One thing you guys aren't seeing is that the system of pumps and levees is a huge part of the problem, and it's just going to continue getting worse, no matter how many times the city keeps getting rebuilt. Went you build something on swampland, then pump the water out of the swamp, it sinks, and NO is sinking. In addition to that, the system of levees is preventing the natural flooding of the Mississippi river to replenish the lower part of louisiana, so Louisiana is constantly losing landmass, and it's to the point where there is pretty much nothing left to protect the city. Long term, it is just not sustainable to keep a city of 500,000 people in its current location under the current conditions, and to continue the current course is just going to make future disaster worse and worse.

Not saying we shouldn't rebuild it, but to just discount the problems out of hand, and continue rebuilding under the same conditions is downright foolish. And to suggest higher levees and better pumps is not a viable solution, the levees just increase the land erosion in southern louisiana, and the pumps just make NO sink further into the mud. In the long term, you have to look at the costs and benefits of the situation and figure out what is worth saving, because I don't see any possible way that the entire city can be saved in the long term.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Uh oh... could there be SHARKS in New Orleans right now!??!

As a matter of fact, I was just talking to one of my Lousiana friends.  He said it was reported on the news that there ARE sharks swimming around in the water.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Now we see the Hun that we all know and love. You may debate with him ,but , he can out talk anybody i've ever met! And yes that's a compliment, from a fellow Texan, just in case ya can't tell!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Uh oh... could there be SHARKS in New Orleans right now!??!

As a matter of fact, I was just talking to one of my Lousiana friends.  He said it was reported on the news that there ARE sharks swimming around in the water.

Damn.  I hope they are smart enough to go up and get some easy meals at the stores that are being looted.  I'd pay to see that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Now we see the Hun that we all know and love. You may debate with him ,but , he can out talk anybody i've ever met! And yes that's a compliment, from a fellow Texan, just in case ya can't tell!

The internet doesn't do the Hun justice,  since you can't hear him speak in that slow methodical Southern drawl.  
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top