User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I agree.  I never conned my ship as close to another as I did during alongside replensihment.  And as one of the officers of another Perry class frigate, I participated in all of the above listed evolutions.

I would hope the closest anyone got is during UNREP. However, this is a collision; obviously, they weren't meant to be THAT close. None of the publically released information I've seen has said anything about how close they were supposed to be. I pointed to other manuevering situations that get ships within close proximity and have almost no margin for error. At 30 knots, 1000yards, a common distance for DIVTACS and Plane Guard goes by in a minute. Less if the other ship contributes.

Re zero tolerance for mistakes. It's understandable in a Navy where ever combatant is needed to meet world-wide tasking. A collision can really mess up the deployment cycle. It's a function of very few ships and very many missions. If we had a six hundred ship Navy then things might be different. As it stands, the Navy cannot afford large mistakes.

I understand all that.  True, closing speeds during divtacs can get pretty hairy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We named a DDG .....Winston Churchill?

Last time I checked his Mother was American…

ANdy

...and last I checked, Churchill was more American than half the country is today. Not to mention the fact that he was the greatest leader of the 20th century and a staunch US ally. I suppose quijanos would be more pleased to rename the ship the USS Bill Clinton because after all, we should only name our vessels after "Americans".
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Real and Naval Officer don't belong in the same paragraph!!!

Would you prefer imaginary Naval Officer? I think a few of us here would take offense to that, including H46. I'm pretty sure he's not a figment of my imagination.

Could be, just like refering to the 'men' in the Navy....

I was in the Marine Corps, and yes, I know that the Marine Corps is a department of the Navy...........THE MEN'S DEPARTMENT!!!!

Typical piss-poor Marine reading comprehension. The USMC isn't "a" department of the Navy. The USMC is in THE Department of the Navy. Which means, both the USMC and USN are in the same department. So much for your supposed insult. Please find some new and accurate material.

So shrill!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
HOW????  Arleigh Burke's?  Oh jeeeebuz.  Can we FIT more sensors on them!!!!!

The electronics equipment caused both ships to become invisible, just like the movie Philadelphia Experiment.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember the one night when half of the damn watch team fell asleep and we almost collided with a friggin LHD. lol. That was shitty. The CO was wondering why we turned to Starboard full rudder and pushed it to 25 knots. It was kind of an interesting experience.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top