BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Should have pistol whipped that bastage,  "This is from Mr.J.M.B!"  damn shame waste of a 1911.

If you would have seen it , you would have cried .
It was rusted so badly I couldn't identify any markings
on it .  It had plain double diamond wood grips
on it , and the one that was against the wet carpet
was green with mold and split

I don't know how long it was under the seat of that car
but the vehicle was 5 years old and looked as though it
had never been vacuumed . Anyone who lives in the
northeast knows how quickly the salty sand used on the
roads accumulates under the drivers feet during the winter .
In this car it was at least 2" deep .
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I found a loaded Jennings/Bryco 9mm handgun on the front lawn of my office in the grass once........When I went to get it, the office manager screamed and said dont touch it, it might be loaded............so, I put on some rubber gloves and unloaded it........damn dumb office mgr.......  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#3]
We were moving offices one day some time ago (at a law enforcement agency), and one of our folks found two Reising submachineguns in the closet in their office. Nobody at the agency knew where they came from.

I got assigned to research them. We were hopeful, as a couple of transferrables could be traded for a bunch of new M4s, and it would be a good deal for all involved parties.

Turns out that they belonged to another agency, and came to be in our possession through a convuleted scheme to avoid paying transfer taxes back in the 1970s involving folks who were long out of the law enforcement profession and locked up in prison for other schemes. I made a special trip the next day and returned the MGs to their rightful owner, who also had no idea the weapons existed or belonged to them. They were transferrable, too. Hope they got something nice.

People find old guns all of the time, usually somewhere in the house, and turn them in to local LE. Most are junk. Occasionally, someone will bring something of real value, though, like grandad's 1911. I will tell them approximately what its worth, and strongly suggest they go to a couple of different dealers and sell it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I found a brand new, never been shot, Marlin 1895 in .45-70 in a closet at my grandparents place.  It was still in the box and everything.  My grandmother didnt know anything about it, but we figured my grandfather bought it before he passed away.

Anyways, she sold it to me for $250

img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/adairtd/DSC00440.jpg

I added the shitty scope, sling, and buttstock shellholder myself.

Is that a casing visible in the chamber?  Is that normal?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I found a brand new, never been shot, Marlin 1895 in .45-70 in a closet at my grandparents place.  It was still in the box and everything.  My grandmother didnt know anything about it, but we figured my grandfather bought it before he passed away.

Err. That's the magazine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#6]
after Gramps passed away, I found a 1911 whilw cleaning the house out. It was still in the GI holster! It had fallen into the back end of a filing cabinet and had probably set there for 50 years since the end of WWII... five digit serial number, markings all original... plus two notches on the grips!!! unfortunate but spending 50 years in the holster ruined the finish. I glass beaded it and z coated it black installed a new barrel and sights

shoots great!

I will never part with that gun because what it represents and its history. Gramps served in the 187th PIR

edited to add - I wish I had the chance to speak with him about his service and the two notches
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I found a rusted out rifle in a ditch in the woods one time when I was pretty young.  I was pretty proud of my prize and brought it home.  It was so long ago I did not have the prowess to identify it and stuck it in the corner of my garage.  My mom found it and tossed it out.  It still bothers me to this day, I really wished I could have held on to it so I could have ID'ed it even though it would have been worthless because of all the rust and corrosion, but still....
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
after Gramps passed away, I found a 1911 whilw cleaning the house out. It was still in the GI holster! It had fallen into the back end of a filing cabinet and had probably set there for 50 years since the end of WWII... five digit serial number, markings all original... plus two notches on the grips!!! unfortunate but spending 50 years in the holster ruined the finish. I glass beaded it and z coated it black installed a new barrel and sights

shoots great!

I will never part with that gun because what it represents and its history. Gramps served in the 187th PIR

edited to add - I wish I had the chance to speak with him about his service and the two notches

Hope you kept the original barrel.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As it was said before me, yes, that is the magazine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#10]
One of the small towns in the county I'm assigned to used to have a 2 man PD.  The town let me use the old PD office for my field office on the condition I clean out and box up all the stuff.  While cleaning out one of the file cabinets of a bunch of old reports I found a S&W Model 19 with a 4 inch bbl.  According to the mayor it was one that they had bought for the PD.  She said that town had no use for it anymore and told me to keep it.  I definately wasn't going to turn that down.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:47:15 AM EDT
[#11]

I glass beaded it and z coated it black installed a new barrel and sights

You're joking right? If not you ruined a 1911A1 with provenance and an original finish and parts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:56:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I glass beaded it and z coated it black installed a new barrel and sights

You're joking right? If not you ruined a 1911A1 with provenance and an original finish and parts.

nope dead serious... the glass beading was necessary - it was hard to tell where the leather/rust ended and the good metal began
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:13:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I was 15 at the time. My younger brother and I found a car plowed into a tree just off an old mining road. The car was unlocked, with windows down. When I looked in the glovebox to see if there was a registration, I found a .25 Raven. Took the gun, went home, showed my dad. He took us to the polic station to report it. Turns out the car was stolen, but the idiots who took it joy riding in the mountain never bothered to check in the glovebox. Car owner got back his (slightly damaged) car and gun.

Even though the gun was loaded while in the vehicle, and the owner did not have a CCW, no charges were filed against him. Not sure that would happen today.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:14:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I found a loaded Jennings/Bryco 9mm handgun on the front lawn of my office in the grass once........When I went to get it, the office manager screamed and said dont touch it, it might be loaded............so, I put on some rubber gloves and unloaded it........damn dumb office mgr.......  

Idiot! You should have listened to the Office Manager!

That pistol could have jumped up and shot you dead. It really happens. I know. I saw it on Oprah.

The office mangler was looking out for your own good.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:33:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That pistol could have jumped up and shot you dead. It really happens. I know. I saw it on Oprah.

+1 on that.  Besides, everyone knows that rubber gloves will stop a 9mm round.  Getting shot only feels like a punch you know.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:34:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I've found at least three rusted out revolver frames while walking the river bank in my home town.
Railroad trussel overpass was a popular drop point and they would wash down river. When the dam was opened and the water level went down, lots of things would show up. I always kept them and used to have a pretty cool collection. That was 20 years ago, no idea what ever happend to them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:59:28 AM EDT
[#17]
In Anderson Indiana 3 WW2 era grease guns were found on the roof of the Inland Fisher Guide plant. They were wrapped in greasy rags. Found by a construction crew hired to do roof repairs.  Seems someone took them from the plant and put them up on the roof for later retrival, guess he never made it back to get them.  The grease guns are still in inventory with the Anderson police.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:16:55 AM EDT
[#18]
i was standing in a gun shop when a guy from a local VFW came in and saidm the found a few un open CASES! of 03' in the basement of the VFW and asked if the gun shop was interested...

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:30:45 AM EDT
[#19]
My dad and I found a 1911 and the frame to some other gun (i dont remember what it was) out in a flood control basin once. They had been stripped and smashed with boulders by somebody that didnt want them to be used.

my dad kept it for a while, but I dont remember what he did with it. ( i was like 10 when this happened. it's been quite a while ago)
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:31:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
i was standing in a gun shop when a guy from a local VFW came in and saidm the found a few un open CASES! of 03' in the basement of the VFW and asked if the gun shop was interested...

Whats 03'?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:36:40 AM EDT
[#21]
While on an aluminum can hunting kick a few years back, my father-in-law found a Baur .25 frame in a dumpster. He sold it to me for $20. I ordered the parts online and got her shooting again. It's a nice little stainless steel pistol.
Of course, the price of the parts probably outweight what the gun's worth, but I wanted to see if I could get it working again.

An employee of mine was a military brat who grew up on the island of Okinawa. One day he and his dad were fishing in the surf and their hook got caught on something. Turned out to be a wooden crate filled with M1 carbines! Even though the guns were packed in cosmoline and wrapped in wax paper, 40 years of salt water ruined the finish and rotted the wood on most of them. He said they did manage to get one of them up and running. The rest they gave away to friends and family.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:37:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whats 03'?

Springfield 30-06.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:21:23 AM EDT
[#23]
When I was about 8 years old, me and my best friend found a rusted-out bryco [IIRC] .380, with "pearl" grips, between two fences.

I showed it to my older brother...he took it away from me and went to the garage, where he started tinkering with it, trying to get the mag out.

It pissed me off that he "stole" our gun, so I told my mom...she promptly chewed him out, took the pistol, and turned it in to the cops. That's the last we heard of it.

As an adult, I had a friend who sold used cars on the side, from his house. He found guns pretty regularly. The one I was present for, he had picked up a Mazda 323 from the auction, brough it home and started cleaning her up...we found a battered Lorcin 9mm under the front seat. He kept it, against my advice...looked like someone used it as a hammer, but it still functioned.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#24]
story time is fun
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on that.  Besides, everyone knows that rubber gloves will stop a 9mm round.  Getting shot only feels like a punch you know.

Unless it's a Full Power Shot ™
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#26]
i found a few glock mag in a moving van one time put the were for a compact 40 and all i have is a g 22
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you shold have shot the manager in the foot and said it was th guns fault!
JK
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless it's a Full Power Shot ™

True, in that case, no one here could take it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I've found at least three rusted out revolver frames while walking the river bank in my home town.
Railroad trussel overpass was a popular drop point and they would wash down river. When the dam was opened and the water level went down, lots of things would show up. I always kept them and used to have a pretty cool collection. That was 20 years ago, no idea what ever happend to them.

Think you still have any, could they still be used?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I found a new Franchie shotgun while checking duck hunters. Hunter had stood it beside tree while loading dogs and gear into truck.
I secured it in my truck, Knowing who hunted this area I went looking for him, finally located him at the Gun Shop.
Asked how his morning hunt went, he said “ O my gosh my gun”.
I gave the shotgun back to him after some fun.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Man I wish I would find a gun, I wonder where you would usually find them?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top