Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'd much rather have a bullsnake around than the filthy disease carrying rodents the snake eliminates. Your mileage may vary.

There is PETA and then there is good clean environmental logic. Knowing is half the battle.

Did you just quote He-Man, Masters of the Universe?

Seriously though, you should be expecting FEDS to raid your house, shoot your dog and serve a no-knock warrant tonight at around 4 am.

Killing an endangered species.........

You are so getting a rude awakening tonight. Sweet dreams.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
www.sdgfp.info/Wildlife/Snakes/Bullsnake.jpg

* Yellowish body with brown or black blotches that appear as rings near the tail

* Alternating dark blotches found along each side

* The belly is cream colored to whitish, with dark spots along its borders

* A dark mask or line that extends across the head from the angle of the jaws to the eyes

* Keeled scales

* Nonvenomous

* Diet: rodents (including gophers, ground squirrels, and mice), birds and their eggs, and various amphibians

* Habitat: open grasslands

* Distribution: counties in the western two thirds of South Dakota

*Note:
The South Dakota Bull snake is on the endangered speices list and is classified as a protected speies.
Please report all violations to:
South Dakota Division of Wildlife
4500 S. Oxbow
Sioux Falls, SD  57106

Nice try buddy...   bull snakes are as common as mosquitos in SD, and the fox snake is only a species of "special concern."

www.sdgfp.info/Wildlife/Snakes/Snakestatus.htm
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd much rather have a bullsnake around than the filthy disease carrying rodents the snake eliminates. Your mileage may vary.

There is PETA and then there is good clean environmental logic. Knowing is half the battle.

Did you just quote He-Man, Masters of the Universe?

HS1

GI Joe you schmuck...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell I don't even kill the rattlers on my property.  I pick 'em up with sticks and shooo 'em off.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why do people kill harmless snakes?  I just dont get it.

+1

Because there are too many scumbags allowed to have weapons without the self control to use them properly.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#6]
it ain't easy being green RIP
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Bull Snakes are indeed fairly harmless. Awhile back, I was turkey hunting in some very thick brush. I was sitting still trying to call the Toms in when a large Bull Snake crawled right ON TOP of my gun, then me. I remained motionless until I identified it, then felt relieved. I gently tapped it on top of the head and it coiled up and pretended to be a rattler. A few more gentle taps and it curled upside down and pretended to be dead. Let off a some sort of foul scent too.

After stinking up the place, I left it unharmed. They are good to have around to keep the rodent population down. It probably crawled on me to begin with because I was warm.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Hell, as long as ya eat the critter its alright to kill it.

I'm more worried about humans surviving... I couldn't give a shit less about a snake.

PITSNIPE OUT
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Some guy walked up to the door tonight. I thought he might be bad so I shot him. Should I have done that or waited til I knew a bit more?

Learn the wildlife in the area where you live. It's not that hard to do.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I have seen a few of those out shooting Prairie Dogs and have spared their life because of the lack of rattles on their tail
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I killed 4 rattlers last week.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:21:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Why shit yourself when you see a snake?

its just the US...

same applies to spiders

See a snake here, dont panic.  You will run into a tree or off a cliff.  Calmly back off, look for a nice clear path, then RUN LIKE FUCKING HELL and make sure u tell your mates, so they dont get bit.  Leave the snake alone
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:31:26 AM EDT
[#13]
[/SP1Grrl . . . step away from the shovel]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:41:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Snakes, like terrorists, are better when shot,  cut into multiple pieces, set afire, and thrown in the nearest ditch.

You don't want mice and rats around, get a cat.[
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:44:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Problem with the bull snake is with it's color and general appearance, while coiled or moving, at first glance it could easily be mistaken for a pit viper species by the average person. Hate to see a good snake get axed, but better safe than sorry. I will always try to relocate snakes to wilderness area when I can, venemous or not, but can't blame anyone for self-defense mode if they are unsure.

The worst consequence of excessive snake killing is rodent infestation.
They actually had several cases of Black Plague (Yersinia Pestis) which is transmitted to humans by fleas that have consumed blood from infected rats, in the Odessa TX area in the 80s. The annual rattlesnake roundup in the Sweetwater area has decimated literally millions of rattlesnakes in that part of West Texas over the years, and the snake population has gotten so low, rats and other rodents are on the rise, the balance is upset.

Snakes do serve a purpose.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:44:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:44:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Dude, you have got to quit killing things.  You're not very good at it (see the deer hunting story).

Corey

PS  I don't really see this as being about the MiL or customers as you all were certainly proud to show it off and take pics.  Just my $0.02, but I don't like snakes and would have left it alone.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Thats the NEARLY extinct species of BULLsnake.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

* Yellowish body with brown or black blotches that appear as rings near the tail

* A dark mask or line that extends across the head from the angle of the jaws to the eyes

* Keeled scales

* Nonvenomous

* Diet: rodents (including gophers, ground squirrels, and mice), birds and their eggs, and various amphibians

*Note:
The South Dakota Bull snake is on the endangered species list and is classified as a protected spies.
4500 S. Oxbow
Sioux Falls, SD  57106

Nice try buddy...   bull snakes are as common as mosquitos in SD, and the fox snake is only a species of "special concern."

It was a joke Adrian, I was wondering how long it would take someone to check it out.
You did have an anxious moment though huh?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:54:27 AM EDT
[#20]
BOOOOOOOOO snake killer!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#21]
First, it is not a Fox snake.  I will post pictures of both species of my personal collection to prove anybody wrong.

Second, killing a harmless animal because it you are scared of it is irrational and acting off of emotion just like a liberal
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Some of you need to quit being so gay about this.  Its a snake, it is a nervous system with meat.  If he doesn't have a rodent problem then who cares.

babies...

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I've seen one of these before.  It's a dead snake.

LOL. The best kind!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:02:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Some guy walked up to the door tonight. I thought he might be bad so I shot him. Should I have done that or waited til I knew a bit more?

That depends, are you going to make boots & a belt out of him?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That depends, are you going to make boots & a belt out of him?

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Hell, as long as ya eat the critter its alright to kill it.

Uh huh, tell that to the damned nasty ground squirrels.

If you eat one of those you are a braver man than I am, so many deseased varmints that are good for nothing other than splattering across the hillside with the highest velocity frangible you can find.

There are certain animals out there that do need killin.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why do people kill harmless snakes?  I just dont get it.

B/C snakes are pretty effing hard to identify.

Maybe to a city-slicker, yankee like you...

I just found out, it actually isn't a bull snake, I talked to a GFP guy around here...he said it was a FOX SNAKE.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

* Keeled scales

* Nonvenomous

*Note:
The South Dakota Bull snake is on the endangered species list and is classified as a protected spies.
4500 S. Oxbow
Sioux Falls, SD  57106

It was a joke Adrian, I was wondering how long it would take someone to check it out.
You did have an anxious moment though huh?

1) LOL- yeah, I'll admit, you had me sweating for about 30 seconds!

2) No, I wasn't proud of it, my wife cracked a joke, so I was laughing when the picture was taken. Now that I know it wasn't a bad snake, I realize we should have just tried to move it - but seriously, the way it was acting, we all thought it w.as a rattle snake (and we've had a few experiences with rattlers around here before). I guess it was more of a mistaken identity shooting - now I've learned something, I've brushed up on my SD snake identification, and might handle the next one differently.

3) I was just following orders (seriously, boss wanted it dead).

4) I think some people would give me less shit if I shot an unarmed Brazilian guy in a jean jacket running to his train because I confused him for a suicide bomber, than for shooting a snake we thought was a rattler. Damn, sounds like some PETA members to me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
First, it is not a Fox snake.  I will post pictures of both species of my personal collection to prove anybody wrong.

Second, killing a harmless animal because it you are scared of it is irrational and acting off of emotion just like a liberal

Now you're getting NASTY

http://www.sdgfp.info/Wildlife/Snakes/SnakeIndex.htm

Alright, snake charmer - a bull snake and a fox snake look DAMN similar to me. I'm NOT a snake expert, so maybe you could explain the differences? Let's see your pics. And if you're right, and it WAS a bull snake. Whoopie. Like shooting a squirrel, plenty to go around. I see dead ones on the road every couple days.

Oh, and for what it is worth, my wife's grandpa was bringing him home to skin (maybe even eat - I don't know) so its not like its going to waste. Besides, the neighbors have plenty of stray cats to take care of the rodents. I'll be sure not to put up and pics of the prairie dogs I shoot
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#30]
What I did was train my kids to identify the venemous snakes they may encounter in our area. But above all, when in doubt, leave it alone.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

4) I think some people would give me less shit if I shot an unarmed Brazilian guy in a jean jacket running to his train because I confused him for a suicide bomber, ....

Would you be able to identify him as a Brazilian guy (versus a suicide bomber) and would it take multiple wounding shots before the kill?

Sorry, but I can't let you off the hook that easily.  The "I was just following orders" and "I misidentified the snake" argument might smooth things over with a snake, but not as an LEO chasing a suspect.

How does that saying go?  You train like you're going to fight?

Corey

EDITED to add:  Is that that same wife's grandpa that has the .38 snubbie?  IM incoming.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Guys, I was one of the first to get pics of Adrians little escapade in an email, and I tore him a new one myself.

But I'm pretty sure he has now learned that PROPER TARGET IDENTIFICATION is more important than running to get the gun because someone thinks they saw or heard a rattler.

I think he fell prey to a small mob mentality with everyone around him acting like this snake was going to kill somone.

Give the kid a small break and hope that it was a lesson well learned, and that he won't be shooting someones dog during a traffic stop.

Dead is not reversible.  Justification after the fact is an excuse.  I know for a fact that these are lessons Adrian has learned.  Hopefully he'll remember them in the future.

-Anthony
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Guys, I was one of the first to get pics of Adrians little escapade in an email, and I tore him a new one myself.

But I'm pretty sure he has now learned that PROPER TARGET IDENTIFICATION is more important than running to get the gun because someone thinks they saw or heard a rattler.

I think he fell prey to a small mob mentality with everyone around him acting like this snake was going to kill somone.

Give the kid a small break and hope that it was a lesson well learned, and that he won't be shooting someones dog during a traffic stop.

Dead is not reversible.  Justification after the fact is an excuse.  I know for a fact that these are lessons Adrian has learned.  Hopefully he'll remember them in the future.

-Anthony

Bitch.

Corey

EDITED to add this this is my humorous way of acknowledging that Anthony has bailed Adrian out of this one (at least in my mind).
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
that is a bullsnake my friend.  not poisonous.

+1.  I see people all the time killing blue indigo snakes too, thinking they're water moccassins.

Likewise.  I hate snakes, but I'm not gonna go around blasting them unless I know they are venomous.

Those Blue Idigos, or Blue Racers, are actually very easy going. I've even seen them "playing" around in mygrandparents front yard.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now you're getting NASTY
images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2003/06-indiana-jones.jpg

http://www.sdgfp.info/Wildlife/Snakes/SnakeIndex.htm

Alright, snake charmer - a bull snake and a fox snake look DAMN similar to me. I'm NOT a snake expert, so maybe you could explain the differences? Let's see your pics. And if you're right, and it WAS a bull snake. Whoopie. Like shooting a squirrel, plenty to go around. I see dead ones on the road every couple days.

Oh, and for what it is worth, my wife's grandpa was bringing him home to skin (maybe even eat - I don't know) so its not like its going to waste. Besides, the neighbors have plenty of stray cats to take care of the rodents. I'll be sure not to put up and pics of the prairie dogs I shoot

Fox Snake

Bullsnake

Not even close.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Screw it, I would have shot it. Wrong place, wrong time for the snake, his time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:59:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

HURRY!  HURRY!  SOMEBODY CALL PETA 'CUZ HE KILLED A SNAKE!!!

QUICK!  BEFORE THE REST OF THE ENTIRE SNAKE RACE BECOMES EXTINCT!!!

You people really need to lighten up.  

No shit! +1
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:24:48 AM EDT
[#40]
This tread should have had a poll.

I think you did the right thing, and my opinion is the most important out of anyone on this whole damn board.

CB
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:42:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
If it scared the mother in law it may have been good to keep around.

This is fricking hilarious!! I can't beleive none of you guys jumped on this!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:10:53 AM EDT
[#42]
I can't believe folks are getting all ancy about RACIAL PROFILING OF SNAKES.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:22:57 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I can't believe folks are getting all ancy about RACIAL PROFILING OF SNAKES.  

When you are down here, watch out for the black or brown snakes, or ones that are black with red bellys

serious

OMG! RACIST! BAN!

actually i think i described almost all the snakes here, besides the green ones and pythons and some others
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:23:27 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit! +1

it's ignorant to kill beneficial animals just because they frighten you, and it's worse to try and defend it
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:33:49 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit! +1

it's ignorant to kill beneficial animals just because they frighten you, and it's worse to try and defend it

I love it when divers or ESPECIALLY SPEARFISHERMEN always repeat that "Sharks don't bite people.  Your're not even on their food chain".  Then get bitten.  Like it makes a diff when you have a big tooth in your ass.  What diff does it make if it's bebeficial or not?  If it's too close for comfort, let the most dangerous animal rule the day.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:57:54 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Poisonous is incorrect.

Snake are venomous.

Poison is something you ingest.

Venom is something that is injected into you typically by something trying to kill or eat what it is envenomating.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:08:09 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Poisonous is incorrect.

Snake are venomous.

Poison is something you ingest.

Venom is something that is injected into you typically by something trying to kill or eat what it is envenomating.

Wrong!

poi·son·ous (poi'zə-nəs)
adj.
1. Capable of harming or killing by or as if by poison; toxic or venomous.
2. Containing a poison.
3. Marked by apparent ill will: “poisonous hate . . . in his eyes” (Ernest Hemingway).
www.answers.com/poisonous&r=67

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ven·om (vĕn'əm)
n.
1. A poisonous secretion of an animal, such as a snake, spider, or scorpion, usually transmitted by a bite or sting.
2. A poison.
3. Malice; spite: “They dislike making their just criticism of a useful and earnest man an excuse for a general discharge of venom from small-minded opponents” (W.E.B. DuBois).

www.answers.com/venom&r=67

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:24:05 AM EDT
[#48]
ven·om·ous  
adj.

1. Secreting and transmitting venom: a venomous snake.
        2. Full of or containing venom.
  2. Malicious; spiteful: a venomous remark. See synonyms at poisonous.

ven'om·ous·ly adv.
ven'om·ous·ness n.

people who are in the field refer to it as venom, people who are not refer to it as poison, so don't get to happy with the def you got.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:24:50 AM EDT
[#49]
If I lived out in the country and had a lot of land and the snake wasn't near my house then I say live and let live..But I live in the suburbs (about a quarter-acre) so I don't have time to play snakecharmer while my wife runs in the house to get the snake watchers manual and a magnifying glass to find out if its poisonous...errr venomous....Mr. snake...meet Mr. Hoe
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:27:12 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
ven·om·ous  
adj.

1. Secreting and transmitting venom: a venomous snake.
        2. Full of or containing venom.
  2. Malicious; spiteful: a venomous remark. See synonyms at poisonous.

ven'om·ous·ly adv.
ven'om·ous·ness n.

people who are in the field refer to it as venom, people who are not refer to it as poison, so don't get to happy with the def you got.

So because "people in the field" use a term that suits them the commonly accepted definitions held by most people (and most dictionaries) are wrong?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top