Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:50:09 AM EDT
[#1]
cripes-i gots a scooter that does 35+  (80cc)

no, wait...I DONT havve a scooter....

ctually I do....with a milk crate basket on it

you wont be saying it teh gehy when I haul home 2 cases of beer in it....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:25:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
250cc Honda Rebel.
70mpg
top speed  84mph (with my 190lbs)
price only 3k
and I don't have any problems with soccer moms bumpers
www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421620608/0.jpg

Top speed on my f4i was ~ 160.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:27:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think I know what you're looking for.  Splitting lanes in stopped traffic and barely using any gas... what you're looking for is a scooter.  A little 50-70cc scooter.  I ride a Vespa from time to time,

Forget that...unless you're in key west.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:42:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Wife has a little Suzuki GZ250.  It gets about a zillion miles a gallon (well, actually, how about 74 MPG?).  It is perfectly adequate in city traffic, and happily hums along even with my big ass on it (245 lbs).   It runs great, and handles stop and go driving with ease.  

However, with that said, I will acknowledge the following shortcoming:  This bike is too light for my comfort in highway traffic.  The wind buffeting seems really severe.  And the little engine is thumping pretty hard at 60 MPH.  

If your commute is pretty much all under 45 mph, a little 250 will do quite nicely.  Otherwise, if you do highway, I'd recommned a larger bike.

I bought hers (a 2001 GZ250) used for $1250.  They are $3000 new.  THe Honda Rebel and Virago 250 are priced and equipped similarly.

You are getting a lot of recommendations for larger bikes.  If you;ve never ridden a little 250 class bike is a perfect starter.  Yup.  You will out grow it.  So what.  Shop around, buy a good decent used 250 class bike.  Use it for a year , and then sell it.  You'll get your money back since there are LOTS of people doing the same thing:  Looking for a used 250 starter bike...

A decent next step is the Suzuki S40, previously known as the Savage.  Its a 650 but is only marginally bigger and lighter than the 250's.  The Suzuki GZ250 is something like 305 pounds.  The Savage/s40 is only 50 pounds heavier.  Still gets good mileage, is light, and had adequate power.

I own a Volusia (now called C50).  Its an 800.  Nice bike and I love it.  Mileage drops to 45-50 range, which is still good.  However, this is NOT an appropriate start bike.

I strongly second the recommendation on the Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses.....  DO IT

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:55:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:44:37 AM EDT
[#6]
are you still keeping an eye out for me, Slayer?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:31:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Here you go...

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Man, I wished I lived close enough to work to ride my bike. I have 35 mile one way commute through Detroit (metro area) and you would take your life in your hands doing that at rush hour.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:59:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I had great luck on an ebay auction.

Picked up at 1980 Honda CX500 for $300 2 yrs ago. Worked great, just didn’t have a title and New Hampshire (where it was sold) wouldn’t issue a new one. My state didn’t need a title for bikes > 10 yrs old. If your state is similar, this might be a way to get a decent bike cheap.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:18:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Speaking as a bike owner.  I've had an EX500 and now have a SV650, for the purposes you describe, would get the scooter.. Here are my reasons...

If you get a 500+cc bike you will be paying more for insurance. If it's considered a sportbike you'll pay about 400-800/year.  That would make your gas savings not worth it.  I pay 300/year on my SV as it's considered a standard.  I would not want to ride my SV in stop and go city traffic all the time.  It's worse than driving a manual car because you've got to balance the bike, feather the clutch and be in the right gear in traffic.  Trust me, it's a bitch.

Also you will be paying more for maintenance.  More for oil changes, chains, sprockets, tires.  All that adds up.  For the SV, or bigger bike, you'll need new tires every 4-6,000 miles. And at 300 a set, it can get expensive.

Plus, you're not going to get a good used bigger bike for under 3K,  if you do, it'll either have been dropped, have high mileage, need maintenance, or may not have been taken care of well.

For 2 grand or under you can get a scooter, with a better riding position, 3 times better gas mileage (like 120mpg vs a motorcycle's 30-50mpg) and way less in maintenance, insurance, etc costs.  

If you go out and spend 5,000 on a sportbike, and add the insurance, and maintenance over time, you'd be better off with a truck.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:39:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I would have to disagree with those telling you to get a bigger bike. For many ridding a big bike is an ego thing. For your intentions a 250cc motorcycle will be plenty. It will also use less gas, cheaper to insure, lighter and more maneuverable in traffic, not to mention cheap to fix when you dump it. I have one of these

But this is what I ride to work

It is a 250cc Kawasaki sherpa. It only weighs 250 pounds, can go 70 mph, gets good gas mileage, cheap to maintain, cheap insurance and I can hit a fire road or dirt trail on the weekends. It is a lot more fun to ride around town!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Perfect!  I'm in Philly.
I'll look into the rider's safety course, thanks for the heads up.  

Good deal.  Philly is great for the MSF Basic course.  When I took the course, they held it at the Navy Yard.  Not sure if Kvaerner's acquisition of the Navy Yard changed all that.

They provide the bikes (usually Honda and Suzuki 125/250s), gas and even the helmets.  You bring a PA learner's permit, gloves, proper clothing and that's it.  If you don't have your class M permit, go to the DMV website to find the form.  You do not need to take a written/road test to get your class M permit, you just pay $15 or whatever and you get a permit that's good for 3 months.

The Basic course will administer the PA class M license test at the end of the course.  If you pass, you get your class M license.  

The best thing is that the course is free.  You don't pay for gas or anything.  You just show up.  This is why you should register ASAP ... the course is popular and it can be hard to get s lot.  My buddies from NYC say up there the Basic class is $270!  You are getting a good deal.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Since you mentioned traffic, I assume you might want to split lanes? If so, I say good for you! It's not as crazy as cage drivers make it out to be, and I can think of no better way to make good time. When I lived in California, I did it every day. Which brings me to my other point...

...as far as I know, California is the only state in the Union that allows motorcycles to share lanes with cars. Lane splitting there is perfectly legal and frequently practiced (particuarly in the bay area). I always thought it was funny that a state hell bent on restricting anything fun still allows motorcyclists to do this. In fact, it's something I miss about living there.

Still, if cars are bumper to bumper, I say split. Who's gonna catch you? Their all stuck in traffic like good little cage drivers.

On the bike: You'll regret buying something ridicuously small. You're GOING to want to ride it around on the weekends, and you'll want a bigger bike. Trust me on this. Any used Jap bike will do fine. They're cheap as hell, and run forever.

My first bike was a 1981 Yamaha Virago (750cc) and it was FREE! I saw it sitting next to a house in Berkely, CA with weeds gowing up around it. Where I come from, that's an Okie "For Sale" sign, if I ever saw one. I asked the owner "how much" and she said "It's got an electrical problem. If you can load it onto your truck and get it out of here, it's yours. The registration is still current."

Know what the electrical problem was? A wire not properly secured to the engine kill switch. It was taped in place, rather than screwed down, which cased the bike to intermittently cut out. I figured this out in 2 hours, having NEVER worked on a motorcycle in my life. I put a couple of decent tires on it, cleaned the carb, and reupholstered the seat ($75). I took the MSF Safety Course, and was licensed in no time.

Look around. You can find some pretty sweet deals, if you're patient and resourceful.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:01:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's what you need...  My daily driver:

I'm kidding!  Please don't go out and buy a supersport as your first bike.  And no, this isn't my first bike, and it's not my first sportbike either.  I've ridden motorcycles for over 18 years--everything from dirt bikes and atv's as a little kid to the "gixxer" 750 and just about everything else in between.

You can't beat a scooter for gas mileage, and they're as comfortable as anything to ride.  But they seriously lack in the oomph department and they're not very visible to other drivers.  Plus, you already said you want a motorcycle, not a scooter.  A Honda Rebel 250 is a nice little bike that should last forever and get's great gas mileage.  For a lot more oomph, a little lower gas mileage, and more money up-front, the Suzuki SV650 is one of the best all around bikes out there.  You've got a lot of good choices in between.  Take your time, get some gear, and take the MSF.  And enjoy the ride!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1 on getting a bigger bike.  125-250 is for women who are starting out.  500cc minimum for a guy.

No, seriously, all I need is something that will ride on city streets.  Stop and go traffic, nothing over 35 miles per hour.  I want to burn less than 5 gallons of gas per week, if possible.   That's why I was thinking about a small engine.  Keep in mind that I've never even been on a bike before.

All that being said, do I still need 500cc or larger?

BTW, thanks for taking the time to educate me about something I know nothing about.

Maybe you can find a streed legal 1980's Honda XL185S.  We have one on the farm and it is great.  It isn't lacking for power at anything up to 45, and top speed is around 60 MPH.  I don't know what kind of mileage it gets.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Here's what you need...  My daily driver:
i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/soupersnake/2005_0426Image0182.jpg

I'm kidding!  Please don't go out and buy a supersport as your first bike.  And no, this isn't my first bike, and it's not my first sportbike either.  I've ridden motorcycles for over 18 years--everything from dirt bikes and atv's as a little kid to the "gixxer" 750 and just about everything else in between.

You can't beat a scooter for gas mileage, and they're as comfortable as anything to ride.  But they seriously lack in the oomph department and they're not very visible to other drivers.  Plus, you already said you want a motorcycle, not a scooter.  A Honda Rebel 250 is a nice little bike that should last forever and get's great gas mileage.  For a lot more oomph, a little lower gas mileage, and more money up-front, the Suzuki SV650 is one of the best all around bikes out there.  You've got a lot of good choices in between.  Take your time, get some gear, and take the MSF.  And enjoy the ride!

WAAAAA!   My Pee Pee Hurts!

I want a bike again so damn bad!  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Six speed transmission, roughly 2500 bucks, with a pipe and aftermarket carb, they'll run about 90-100 mph, and they are 50 cc, which might get you past registration and endorsment from your DMV...
50 CC goodness....screw Vespa..

A 50cc bike that can do 100 mph?!  I've never heard of a motor that small pushing a bike that fast.  Is it a two-stroke?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#18]
don't forget, that mileage to work will be very wet in the rain and cold in the winter while on a m/c.

Essayons
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
don't forget, that mileage to work will be very wet in the rain and cold in the winter while on a m/c.

Essayons

That is why I wouldn't recommend anything more than a thousand dollars.  The gains in a climate with 4 seasons would be only there from May-October and I wouldn't ride much in the rain.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Essayons

I've been told that you can ride in 30 degree and up weather, and also in the rain if it's not raining too bad.  If I see rain in the forecast, I can always ride the bike to the train station, which is only about 2 miles from my house.

This idea of mine has just as much to do with living a little as it does with saving gas.  Thanks for all of your replies, now I have to get the ball rolling on the safety course and agonize over which bike to get for the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#21]
OK, lu380 is from PA, as am I... I am in the exact same boat as he is.  My cousin is looking to do the exact same thing.

Those of you who have found great deals before... is it easier to find a good deal on a bike in the winter months?  Is a guy more willing to get rid of his bike resting in the garage when there's a foot of snow on the ground?

I'm trying to decide if I should chill out and not really get into the "Must... Get... Bike... " mode until April or so, if I can't find an awesome deal by then.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Rain is worse than cold. Rain and cold is the worse.

If/when you get a bike, think about a small windshield. There are some that clamp on the handlebars and are quick detachable. Makes a big difference when the weather turns chilly.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
www.armory.com/~marina/images/logo.jpg

Fine Italian craftsmanship, Moto Guzzi.

you've got to be kidding.  Go to the motoguzzi forums and do a little reading by the owners.....its appaling and shocking the state of disaray and lack of quality.  BTW this is my other ride:

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Honda Rebel 250?  

Ninja 250?  

If you are just tooling around in town at 30 mph or less, just get a scooter--something like a Yamaha Riva.

If you want a real motorcycle, then get one.  

i had a ninja in the army. DAMN good little bike but DAMN uncomfortable after 20-30 min.

Many a club racer started on the venerable old Ninja 250500.  

Up until the sv650 came out, that was true.  Not anymore.

An SV will SMOKE a ninja 500

ETA:  You can get one of these in 180cc.  It'll do 100mph easy.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I put Ins O nThe Kawasaki KLR 250 Today Total Cost Is 84.00 Per Year. hell I am Gonna Go For a ride With m ykids Rite Now. They love it.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.armory.com/~marina/images/logo.jpg

Fine Italian craftsmanship, Moto Guzzi.

you've got to be kidding.  Go to the motoguzzi forums and do a little reading by the owners.....its appaling and shocking the state of disaray and lack of quality.  BTW this is my other ride:
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/InFALaBill/14May05050.jpg
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/InFALaBill/14May05047.jpg

I know several people who own them.. and I have been to several Guzzi rallys and... I havent heard anything like that.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#27]

This thing looks like crash-out city.  No thanks.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

www.scooterzone.co.uk/images/Italjet/Dragster%20yellow%20rearside.jpg

This thing looks like crash-out city.  No thanks.  

Yeah... kind of reminds me of a bar stool racer.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I put Ins O nThe Kawasaki KLR 250 Today Total Cost Is 84.00 Per Year. hell I am Gonna Go For a ride With m ykids Rite Now. They love it.  

Maybe you should sober up first.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Whada ya mean I feel Fine. I hope you Where referring to the typos Other then that you lost me?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe you should sober up first.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#31]
"Can anyone steer me in the right direction"...

Shouldn't you lean into it, more than steer?

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
"Can anyone steer me in the right direction"...

Shouldn't you lean into it, more than COUNTER-steer?

Fixed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#33]
After reading all your replies, I went to the local bike store and sat on a few different bikes to see how they feel.  There really wasn't much to choose from in my price range, and it looks like I'm probably going to get the Ninja 250.  I really liked the  Suzuki SV650, but it was too much money for my budget.  The one salesman said that I would need the bigger engine, but the other one disagreed with him and told me that the Ninja 250 would be a good choice for a first bike.   Another customer on the floor agreed with him.  I really liked the Ninja for its skinny proflie, light weight, and large gas tank.

From what I could tell, the sport bikes were actually more comfortable to me.  I liked the range of arm motion better than the touring style bikes, and I liked having my feet positioned behind me instead of in front of me.  It just seemed like I would be in more control in this position.  (Keep in mind that I was only able to sit on the bikes on the showroom floor, and have never ridden a bike before.)

Now that I've pretty much made my mind up on the bike, I need to start thinking about gear.  I don't want to spend too much on a helmet, but I like my face and head too much to go cheap and make a bad choice on helmets.  What's a good mid-price helmet that will give me full face protection?  Do I really have to wear a neon yellow "power rangers" outfit?

Thanks again for all your help, guys.  I almost looked like I knew what I was talking about in the bike store today!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:20:02 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
OK, lu380 is from PA, as am I... I am in the exact same boat as he is.  My cousin is looking to do the exact same thing.

Those of you who have found great deals before... is it easier to find a good deal on a bike in the winter months?  Is a guy more willing to get rid of his bike resting in the garage when there's a foot of snow on the ground?

You could start looking now, but yes you can find some deals in the wintertime.  If you're in "must have it now" mode, hold off for one more month.  College students (who will be returning to school) can be a great source of used bikes (they need tuition money or their parents are making them sell their bikes).

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:34:24 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You could start looking now, but yes you can find some deals in the wintertime.  If you're in "must have it now" mode, hold off for one more month.  College students (who will be returning to school) can be a great source of used bikes (they need tuition money or their parents are making them sell their bikes).

I don't need it now.  I'd be perfectly happy waiting until spring to ride... only a month or two of riding weather left here anyways, at least to work.  I need time to squirrel away the money for the bike and the protective gear.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:37:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
After reading all your replies, I went to the local bike store and sat on a few different bikes to see how they feel.  

If the selection of used bikes at your dealer was wanting, then I'd check out the classifieds.  Lots of bikes for sale in our area.  Philly.com usually has a good listing of used bikes local to us.  

Quoted:
Now that I've pretty much made my mind up on the bike, I need to start thinking about gear.  I don't want to spend too much on a helmet, but I like my face and head too much to go cheap and make a bad choice on helmets.  What's a good mid-price helmet that will give me full face protection?  Do I really have to wear a neon yellow "power rangers" outfit?

That's a real can of worms.  While most people will tell you "you get what you pay for" and "buy a $100 helmet for a $100 head" you should really check out the June 2005 issue of Motor Cyclist magazine.  They conducted a study which concluded that the DOT-only rated helmets were safer than the Snell rated helmets.  Snell helmets are generally much more expensive than the DOT-only helmets.  

The flaw in the Snell standard was a portion of the test where the helmet must be dropped onto a steel ball the size of a grapefruit.  This scenario (on the street) is extremely unlikely.  I guess you could high-side and fly head-first into a parking meter but that's about it.  This test is required to pass the Snell standard.

Based on the above, Snell-rated helmets must use "harder" foam in their helmets, as opposed to DOT-only helmets.  In a crash, you want fewer g's transmitted to your head.  Harder foam means more g's transmitted to your head.  

The article was controversial and I'm sure it will be subject to further debate.  Some of the debate, I hope, will be rational; in other words, discussion of whether the Snell standard truly is representative of the dangers one encounters on the street.  

Some of the discussion, as I've already seen on other boards, will not be rational.  These are the people who paid $700 for their Nicky Hayden Arai replica or what have you.  To some people, paying money = quality, no matter what evidence to the contrary.  Leaving aside motorcycling for the instant, people who buy Bose and Monster Cable products probably feel the same way.  

To be fair, the more expensive helmets will usually have better ventilation and cool graphix.  So in some sense, you do get what you pay for.  The message of the article is not to run out and buy the cheapest helmet available.  Just don't automatically assume that a higher price tag means more safety.

FWIW, I own a Shoei helmet, which is Snell rated.  However, based on the article, my next purchase will probably be a DOT-only rated helmet.  I am not convinced the steel grapefruit test is relevant and I would rather have fewer g's transmitted to my noggin in the event of a wreck.

The best I can say is to read the article and make up your mind for yourself.  It's your head, after all.

Helmet buying advice:  try on the helmets in the stores.  Each manufacturer's sizing is different.  You may ultimately end up buying using mail-order to save money but you would do youself a disservice if you did not try on the helmet prior to buying.  

Some good discount sites have already been mentioned here.  I like checking out the closeout pages Motorcycle USA Superstore and New Enough Motorcycle Leathers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:37:41 AM EDT
[#37]
I can only speak from experience concerning helmits off road.  I started riding a few years ago after a 20 year break to raise my kids.  I decided I would go with dual sport bike (Suzuki DRZ400S) instead of a full blown street bike.  For the last couple years I been riding dual sport which is comibination of street and trail riding.  I've taken my share of  spills including a high side flip over the bars onto concrete and a few face plants  into the dirt, gravel, sand, trees and rocks. Fortunately most of these were low speed affairs, though I did break my leg on the concrete spill.

Anyway, I was wearing a $100 motocross helmet in each case and it saved my noggin every time.

In my opinion a DOT rated helmet is a DOT rated helmit is a Dot rated helmet. You should expect to pay extra for more features ie., better ventilation, removable liner, etc, etc, but the protection is pretty much the same on all of them.  

I personaly feel safer with a full face helmet (which I use when I just go out riding around town) particularly since I've had a few face plants. I just don't like the thought of all my teeth being busted out and my lower jaw being torn off.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
After reading all your replies, I went to the local bike store and sat on a few different bikes to see how they feel.  There really wasn't much to choose from in my price range, and it looks like I'm probably going to get the Ninja 250.  I really liked the  Suzuki SV650, but it was too much money for my budget.  The one salesman said that I would need the bigger engine, but the other one disagreed with him and told me that the Ninja 250 would be a good choice for a first bike.   Another customer on the floor agreed with him.  I really liked the Ninja for its skinny proflie, light weight, and large gas tank.

From what I could tell, the sport bikes were actually more comfortable to me.  I liked the range of arm motion better than the touring style bikes, and I liked having my feet positioned behind me instead of in front of me.  It just seemed like I would be in more control in this position.  (Keep in mind that I was only able to sit on the bikes on the showroom floor, and have never ridden a bike before.)!

If you're wanting a 250 Ninja, contact your insurance guy.  Unlike the SV, these might be classified as a sportbike which the insurance will be high $$$.  If it's only a 2K dollar bike and insurance is 500/yr, just go with liability.  I pay 300/year on my 02 SV650S with 100/300/100 and everything else maxed out,  it's cheap because it's considered a standard by the ins company.

Also if your'e going with the 250, dont' be in a hurry,  shop around.  DON"T buy it new.  You can get a low mileage one from a kid that's looking to upgrade to a 600 and used the 250 as a starter or some guy's wife who bought it for her and she doesn't like it or doesn't ride often.  Ebay, local papers, etc will net you a bike for cheaper than the dealer, and you can have the seller alter the bill of sale and you'll be paying less sales tax.  The 250's are ultra reliable and even one with 10-20,000 miles isn't all that much.  I'd expect 100K out of the motor and even a replacement motor for that bike can be had for just a few hundred bucks.  Odds are you'll find a near mint used one out there with less than 10K miles.  

Helmet:  I have the HJC brand.  They're dot approved and fairly cheap, around $150.  Full faced and comfortable.  Remember,  to get the tightest fitting one that won't give you a headache, because they take a while, but will eventually break in and loosen up.  Mine vents well, but half the time I ride with the visor open and sunglasses around town so I get as much air as a half helmet rider does.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#39]
I'd like to echo other's thoughts posted thus far on helmets: Buy a decent DOT-approved helmet, make sure it fits well, is comfortable, and looks nice to you.

When a helmet is tested for DOT compliance, it either passes or it fails. Short of an independant test by a magazine or similar, there is no way for you the consumer to know if any helmet bearing a DOT sticker passed "better" than another. It either meets the requirements or it does not. Don't allow people to tell you that a $100 is for a $100 head.

Truth be told, if your head impacts anything over 15mph or so, you're probably going to be seriously injured, or worse. I dumped a motorcycle at 70mph wearing a full face helmet, and faired well. My HEAD didn't hit the pavement at 70mph. I was moving 70mph horizontaly, and maybe 5mph vertically. If my head actually hit the pavement at 70, I'd be a dead man, regardless of what I had on my noggin. Where the full face really shined, was in it's ability to protect my face from abrasions. The rest of my body was torn up pretty good due to a lack of proper protective clothing, and a high speed rolling manuever through some sage brush. My jeans and light leather jacket were torn to shreds. My elbows and knees bear some nasty scars. I had a flap of skin hanging off my palms, where my skin was ripped back. The callouses on my fingertips (from playing the guitar) were torn off. My face is still pretty good lookin' (matter of opinion, I suppose).

When I wrecked the bike, nobody would shut up. "Good thing you were wearing your helmet". "You'd be dead without that helmet". "That helmet saved your life". People that don't ride motorcycles seem to take great pleasure in reflecting on a rider's choice of wearing a helmet. I found it particuarly strange that no one admonished me for not wearing protective clothing.

I wrecked my motorcycle once more, albeit at much lower speeds. I was not wearing a helmet. I somehow managed to avoid hitting my head on anything significant. The rest of me was torn up badly. Again - I wasn't wearing proper protective clothing. The chorus continued. "You're crazy!" "You could have died without that helmet!" "You're lucky to be alive!" Once again, not a word about my lack of proper clothing, and the skin removed as a result. Funny that I was lucky to be alive, since I wasn't wearing a helmet, but last time luck had nothing to do with it, since I had one on.

I was damn lucky both times, end of story.

The point of all this? Wear protective clothing. A helmet is only part of the equation. I laugh everytime I see an idiot rolling around town in shorts, sandals, a t-shirt, with an $800 Arai on his head. I now wear kevlar, covered in denim (so that I don't look funny on my custom ). I have armor pads by my kidneys, knees, shoulders, and elbows. I also wear good gloves, now. Had I been wearing this both times I wrecked, I would have had nary a scratch. I never broke a bone either time. It was the road rash that hurt like a mother. Once again: Wear protective clothing! Think of a full face as a way to avoid having your teeth knocked out and your face permantly scarred from abrasions. When you look at it that way, you won't have a problem shelling out $100 for a decent helmet. Save the other $800 or so for some kevlar. Seriously.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#40]
You must have a death wish or just want a bike. Some of these bikes get crap mileage for having to ride in the rain.

I am in PA and have a 2000 New Beetle DIESEL that gets 45 to 50 mpg HWY depending on how you drive. I will sell it for $9700.00 FIRM.
It is a great ride and very clean car with clean CARFAX and low low certified mileage 41,000. I bought a diesel Jetta 2005 so I am selling it.

email if interested. [email protected]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Get a DOT-certified full-face helmet that fits well and does not block your peripheral vision.  If you can move your eyes to the left or right and see the helmet, it's either the wrong size or a bad choice for your head.  It will feel snug at first until you get used to it, and you might be tempted to get a helmet that is too big.  Put it on and shake your head side-to-side.  The pads should grip your skin and pull your skin side-to-side as the helmet wiggles.  If the pads slide across your skin and the helmet flops left and right, the helmet is too big.  Wear it around the store for a little while and see if it starts hurting anywhere from too much pressure.  Some heads are more oval and some are more round.  Different brands of helmets fit different kinds of heads better.

A visor that resists fogging up is a plus too.  Adjustable vents are good.  Removable padding for washing is a plus.  I have an HJC helmet with all the above features, and it only cost me $150.  I could have gotten it a little cheaper, but I wanted one with a pattern and not a solid color.  I have full confidence in its ability to protect my head about as well as a $500 helmet.  I tried on a premium helmet, and it did feel slightly more comfortable, but not $350 better, IMO.

Get one with bright or light colors.  Black looks cool, but it will be less visible to other drivers, and it will get hotter in the sun.  If you do get a dark helmet, put some reflective tape on it.

Be safe and good luck!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Definitely get gloves, armored jacket, and motorcycle boots at a minimum to go with the helmet.  Ankle injuries are all too common with motorcycle riders who neglect to wear over-the-ankle motorcycle boots.  And, like others have said, wear all your gear all the time.  Road rash is bad.  Burn victims aren't the only ones who get skin grafts and scrubbings.

For helmets, check out the Scorpion EXO series and the KBC VR-2 and VR-3.  I've worn both and they're quality helmets for less than half of what you'd pay for most Shoei's and Aria's.  Some of the other KBC models haven't passed all the Snell tests in the past, though, so take that for what it's worth.  I went down in a KBC VR-1 and it did it's job.

Helmet fit is the most important feature.  Helmets are made for different head shapes.  You have to try them all on to see which one fits you the best.   A helmet should be very snug (it will loosen up over time).  After you put it on, twist it from side to side and up and down.  It should be snug enough that it grips your skin and moves the skin when you twist the helmet.  It shouldn't slide across the skin at all.  You should be able to wear the helmet for about 10 minutes without developing any pressure points.  Most people get a helmet that's too big, and that reduces the helmet's ability to protect their head.  More snug is better--just make sure there are no pressure points.

Find a store that carries a lot of different brands (Shoei, Arai, KBC, HJC, Scorpion, etc.) and try them all on until you find the one that fits your head the best.  Then look at the price tag.  If price is a big issue, you can probably find the same helmet for less at an online retailer such as www.helmetharbor.com/ or one of the closeout websites already listed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#43]
I was quoted $175/year for liability insurance on a 2001 Ninja by Erie Insurance in PA.  I told them I would ride 8 months out of the year.  You can find a used one for $1200 - $1500.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I now wear kevlar, covered in denim (so that I don't look funny on my custom ).

Draggin' Jeans, I presume?  How do you like them?  I am considering buying a pair, but only until after I see what Vanson is introducing later this year (in terms of armored jeans).
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Definitely get gloves, armored jacket, and motorcycle boots at a minimum to go with the helmet.  Ankle injuries are all too common with motorcycle riders who neglect to wear over-the-ankle motorcycle boots.

A big PlusOne™ there.  A member on a motorcycle board I read had a not-too-serious lowside at about 35-45 mph.  He fell in such a way that his left foot was pinned under the cycle as they slid down the road.  He came away with just bumps and bruises and some really cool looking damage to his motorcycle boot.  Imagine what kind of damage he'd have suffered if he'd been wearing sneakers or flip-flops.

You don't have to look like a power ranger if you don't want to, but in addition to boots, you should get good leather riding gloves and a strong leather, mesh, or textile jacket, preferably armored.  Avoid fashion leather jackets.  They'll come apart quickly in a crash.

If you want some decent low-key protection, look into Draggin Jeans.  They look like normal denim jeans, but they're stronger and have padding and/or armor in key spots.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
If you want some decent low-key protection, look into Draggin Jeans.  They look like normal denim jeans, but they're stronger and have padding and/or armor in key spots.

I'd be interested in your experience/opinions on Draggin Jeans.  I am between bikes right now but I am looking to get one in a few years.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:54:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#48]
just bought a 800 vulcan classic, its been getting 47 to 50 mpg, depending on how fast I ride, got it to  save money on gas, since my truck only gets 10mpg.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I'd be interested in your experience/opinions on Draggin Jeans.  I am between bikes right now but I am looking to get one in a few years.  

Actually, I don't have any yet.  I've been looking into getting some myself, and I will almost certain buy a pair, but I haven't done so yet.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Go for a Ninja 250.  I got one and am perfectly happy with it.  Make sure you wear protection - helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, boots- and get the proper training.  Road rash is a bitch.

+ 60-75MPG
+ 105MPH max speed, cruise at 80MPH just fine
+ same acceleration as a Mustang car
+ most comfortable of any other sportbike to ride for a long time
+ cheap.  I bought 2 year old bike, excellent condition, for only $2500.
+ cheap to maintain & fix.  Cheap parts on ebay
+ best bike to learn how to ride
+ cheaper insurance

- old design
- not the ideal bike for carrying passengers (350 max load)
- soft suspension

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top