Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Firing cops over a couple of cents of soda?

It is the taxpayer that will pay the highest price to train replacements.  

.......So where do we draw the line on what is exceptable??................I don't think they shoud be fired.......But they just can't get a walk on this.........Would your son get away with it??........................I dont hold cops to any higher  level than I hold myself and my kids......If it is wrong for me to do it is wrong for them too..............would your employer fire you for petty theft?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#2]
so, a question for those who are supporting these actions...

How much is ok to steal before it becomes worthy of discipline?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#3]
If I were running a stand selling drinks, I'd have told them to come get some.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

In the middle of the night when you're closed?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That's fine. That would be you giving it as a gift or gratuity.

It may be against department policy to accept free drinks though. I'm serious.

They didn't ask, they were not invited.

They screwed up.

And got caught.

ETA if the average mall visitor did it, they would be busted too. Cops are not above the law. They are in fact held to a higher standard by their employer, in this case the chief and the politicians will dole out the punishment.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
they were probably thirsty as fuck I really think this owner is a cocksucker for turning them in.

+1
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

.......So where do we draw the line on what is exceptable??................I don't think they shoud be fired.......But they just can't get a walk on this.........Would your son get away with it??........................I dont hold cops to any higher  level than I hold myself and my kids......If it is wrong for me to do it is wrong for them too..............would your employer fire you for petty theft?

I believe in second chances.  Ending someone's career over a momentary and inconsequential lapse of judgement is ridicuous.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Around here when that has happened

Armed Burlgary
Misconduct in Public Office

Charges are brought, along with a firing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I believe in second chances.  Ending someone's career over a momentary and inconsequential lapse of judgement is ridicuous.

True and I agree.

But some form of punishment is in order.

And if the media runs with this, they will be punished.

At the very least, they have screwed it up for the remaining 99.9% of cops who do want to do a good job as an honest cop.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
so, a question for those who are supporting these actions...

How much is ok to steal before it becomes worthy of discipline?

+1
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#11]

That's really all I've got to say.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Stealing on the job is a pretty serious thing.  A guy who will think nothing of stealing a coke, may think nothing of "embellishing" or "adding" details to a police report.

If there were no other options, AND they notified the store owner ASAP to offer payment, then I say they are good guys.  It takes a cheap person to stoop so low as to steal something worth less than a buck.

I agree!

Usually this is one of the questions that you are required to answer when going through the LEO application process.  Have you ever stolen anything from an employer, or while on the job? If you answer yes to that question you don't get to be a cop. So after doing so, why should they be allowed to stay a cop? Steal big, steal little. It's all symantics. A thief is a thief, is a thief. No matter what you steal if it is not yours, and you take it, you are a thief, period. No jusifications, qualifications, minimizing, whing or anything else I've read in this thread.      
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Give me a break.

I've seen a lot of cop stories to get upset over.  This isn't one of them.

About the only thing in order is an apology + $5 in restitution to the business owner and a stern "don't do that again" from their bosses.  

It'll be ironic if people get fired over this when situations like the kid-mistaken-for-a-bank-robber that was shot in the face by the FBI didn't.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Stealing on the job is a pretty serious thing.  A guy who will think nothing of stealing a coke, may think nothing of "embellishing" or "adding" details to a police report.

If there were no other options, AND they notified the store owner ASAP to offer payment, then I say they are good guys.  It takes a cheap person to stoop so low as to steal something worth less than a buck.

Stealing period sucks.  But I'd rather have a $1 pen stolen from me than a $1000 gun.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I go to this mall. There is a drinking fountain within 200 feet of that store.

I know people who live near Hilltop but drive to Sunvalley Mall just to avoid it.

I usually go to Sunvalley too, but I know the store they're talking about in the article.

For those not in the know about Richmond, think of Oakland.

Same problem, more mexicans.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I hate thieves. I would be happy to cook a full meal, or give all the money in my pocket, or my car, or just about anything else to any on-duty (and most any off-duty) policeman who said he needed it. When my office was not downtown, I used to give the patrol sergeants a key to my office, with instructions that the beat cops were free to come in and use anything they wanted (except personal overseas calls) - food, drinks, office supplies, computers - anytime they wanted. AFAIK, they never made use of the privilege.  

Even so, I can't believe that the store owner in this case said anything about it. I am also disappointed that these officers did it. The whole thing is sad.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ask em for the money for the drinks they took (if he even really gave a shit) and be done with it. Sheesh...

Drama queens.

Or if they weren't thieves themselves they could have just left some money when they took the drinks  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ask em for the money for the drinks they took (if he even really gave a shit) and be done with it. Sheesh...

Drama queens.

Or if they weren't thieves themselves they could have just left some money when they took the drinks  

That's a good point. A five spot under the "leave a penny" cup would have made it very hard to raise a stink over this. As I said, it's sad.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
This is in RICHMOND.  A thousand things far worse than that are going on every minute there, and they're wasting their time on this petty bullshit?!

So as speeding is "petty bullshit", and there are "A thousand things far worse" it should be OK.  There is the new defense in all of the threads about getting tickets

Ever hear of the slippery slope doctrine?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I love you people who say they could have just left money.  Since the transaction was not conducted by the business, whether they left money or not, it would still technically be theft.  Would you all be screaming then as well?  I'm guessing you would because you have to have something to bitch about.  PA-THE-TIC!

Do you really think anyone would have made an issue of this if they had left the money?

Edited to add:  Almost 20 years ago I worded night shift in a 7-11.  The store policy was to give the local police free drinks and sandwiches.  I was happy to do this, and have their company (I have a lot of great stories from that summer).  I feel cops are welcome to what is given to them (voluntarily), but they have no more right to steal than anyone else
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#23]
No matter how much you try to rationalize it, it was still ILLEGAL!  Cop bashing aside, they broke the law and got caught/dimed, time to take the punishment!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#24]
It’s the old story of cops stealing apples from fruit vendors.
Nothing new at all.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I don't think they should be fired. Repremanded, written up or suspension. And if you do something like that at least leave some money behind.

+1
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I love you people who say they could have just left money.  Since the transaction was not conducted by the business, whether they left money or not, it would still technically be theft.  Would you all be screaming then as well?  I'm guessing you would because you have to have something to bitch about.  PA-THE-TIC!

Thats bullshit.  It isn't theft when you make an honest restitution in exchange for goods or services.

Is it hit and run if I hit a parked car and leave a note?  How about a note and an envelope with $3000 in it?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

''This was not just a group of officers out on a frolic,'' said Mary Sansen, a lawyer representing the officers on behalf of the Richmond Police Officers Association. ''A couple of them were (dehydrated) to the point of desperation.''

Give me a break.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is in RICHMOND.  A thousand things far worse than that are going on every minute there, and they're wasting their time on this petty bullshit?!

So as speeding is "petty bullshit", and there are "A thousand things far worse" it should be OK.  There is the new defense in all of the threads about getting tickets

Yea, before you know it, they could be letting normal people off for unlicensed CCW! The horror!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'm not saying it's the morally correct thing to do, but how many times have you exceeded the speeding limit?  Rolled through a stop sign?  Fudged on your tax return?  Not worn your seatbelt?  Jaywalked?  

Trust me, none of us are faultless.  A simpel reprimand with monetary compensation will do.  No need to crucify the police officers...and it certainly isn't worthy of a newspaper.

That's a good one.  Yeah, those really = stealing.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Can someone please post a list of the laws LEOs are exempt from?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
they were probably thirsty as fuck I really think this owner is a cocksucker for turning them in.

Seriously, they were thirsty.

Like, the other day I was cruising around the mall parking lot and some dude had teh dope rimz.  So i ganked his shit and put it on mah ride..playa gotsta roll wit style!1

Fire the cops.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, before you know it, they could be letting normal people off for unlicensed CCW! The horror!

I like the way you think
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#34]
How do you get 'dangerously dehydrated' searching a mall?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
As for cops are held to a higher standard...  Bull-fucking-shit.  You bitch if they get preferential treatment in any regard, and then expect them to also be saints on earth and to burn in the fires of hell if they don't live up to your lofty standards.  Seriously, listen to yourself... you are a bundle of contradictions and hypocrisy.

In the process of becoming officers did they not swear to uphold the law?  I do not respect oath breakers.  As far as preferential treatment, if you go back and read my posts I am all for it within reason (I was happy to give cops food and drink with my employers voluntary permission).  I like and respect cops, but I do not feel that it gives them the right to steal (petty or grand theft).
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Fuckin A! I topped off my super gulp at the gas station. I guess I'll go turn my self in in the morning.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

True and I agree.

But some form of punishment is in order.

And if the media runs with this, they will be punished.

At the very least, they have screwed it up for the remaining 99.9% of cops who do want to do a good job as an honest cop.

I have a problem with that last statement.  It's only screwed up for the other 99.9% if "John/Jane Q" decide all cops are like  those that stole the soda. Sounds like the liberal way.  One gun owner breaks the law and all gun owners are criminals. I don't think so.

I have no doubt about my integrity and believe some sort of punishment for the officers is appropriate.  I also believe that cops are held to a higher standard, especially by the media.  Every time a cop steps on his pecker it's a big news story.  That's the price for living in a fish bowl.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#38]
eating donuts makes me thirsty too , especially the powdered ones.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#39]
A few relevant facts --- NONE of which are apparently in dispute by either party --- gleaned from other articles and radio show discussions:

1. The incident occurred over a month ago (July 15th). There's a reason you're only hearing about it now (see 2 & 3, below).

2. The morning following the incident, Mrs. Fields Inc. a) reviewed the tape and notified Richmond PD of the incident, and b) requested restitution for the sodas directly from the officers in question.

3. The officers responded not by ponying up the $5 and issuing an apology, but instead immediately went running to their union lawyers.

Thems the facts. You can draw your own conclusions.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#40]
theft is theft
off with their heads!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
This thread is cop bashing pure and simple... if you want to to be overly anal, and you do apparently... yes, they stole the drinks.  The value of the property is legally petite larceny.  With no prior record that would be a conditional discharge at the very worst, perhaps even an immediate plea to a violation... think jaywalking.  For this they lost their job and you are all happier then pigs in shit about it.

I hope and pray that you all get audited and your internet transactions in violation of your state's use tax laws are discovered.  How many of you actually account for those?  I've seen the threads around here that people aren't going to pay them because they think its bullshit.  Guess what, tax fraud and larceny right there.  How many of you employ babysitters, gardeners, housekeepers without proper documentation and without paying the appropriate taxes or issuing 1099s?  How many of you have bought a used car and had the seller write the receipt for less than the sale price so you pay less sales tax when you register the title with DMV?  Once again, fraud and larceny.

I'm thinking there are a whole lot of fucking hypocrites in this thread.  I'm thinking the board's Equipment Exchange is a fertile breeding ground for fraud and larceny.  None of you have any problem with this I'm sure because you benefit from it and its only the gubmint we're talking about.

And for the record, yeah...  I report my internet purchases on my state tax form.  NYS makes it pretty easy to comply with that law.  While I think its bullshit, the law is what it is.  At least I'm not talking out my ass condemning these guys while doing far worse myself.  How many of you can say the same?

As for cops are held to a higher standard...  Bull-fucking-shit.  You bitch if they get preferential treatment in any regard, and then expect them to also be saints on earth and to burn in the fires of hell if they don't live up to your lofty standards.  Seriously, listen to yourself... you are a bundle of contradictions and hypocricy.

Bullshit rationalization.... pure and simple.  You may or may not be a hypocrite we'll have to wait till some stranger helps himself to your soda, and maybe your fridge and tells you to fuck off cause he was thirsty / hungry.

Water fountains...... use them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

In my area cops and firefighters insult eachother constantly. But i know if i called the fire department, even inthe middle of the night, and told them the cops had been searching the mall for hours and needed some water the FD would be there in minutes with water, soda, coffee, snacks and whatever else they could scrounge.  We would do the same for them on a long call out.

+1

I have bought out of my own pocket for my little sisters in blue.

On the other side of the coin, They have done the same for us..

I do think what the officers did was way wrong!...But If I was the owner of the Cookie store, fountian drinks are cheap, and I would not have really cared.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe the next batch will have a bit more sense?

Doubt it, they will probably hire more human beings, the flawless judgement robots aren't due out until next year.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe the next batch will have a bit more sense?

Doubt it, they will probably hire more human beings, the flawless judgment robots aren't due out until next year.

So what is the standard for new hires, ability to do the job, common sense, IQ, criminal history, race, gender, HIV status, or some other meaningless PC statistic?  Will the next batch have more sense?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I go to this mall. There is a drinking fountain within 200 feet of that store.

Thanks, I was just about to ask about this.
I don't think they should be fired, but they deserve to get their heels
locked.  Written reprimand and and week off without pay to think about it.
It is theft and a breach of the public trust.

I've read a lot of bad ideas and weak excuses here, but one of the worst in the
notion that making them pay for their drinks after they go caught makes the whole thing
go away.  Would we extend this option to burglars, bank robbers and car thieves too?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:18:11 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
As for cops are held to a higher standard...  Bull-fucking-shit.  You bitch if they get preferential treatment in any regard, and then expect them to also be saints on earth and to burn in the fires of hell if they don't live up to your lofty standards.  Seriously, listen to yourself... you are a bundle of contradictions and hypocricy.

I'm the one who used the higher standard argument.

I am held to that same higher standard by my employer. I stand by my contention that we are held to a higher standard. That if we use poor judgement and pull a dumbassed stunt like this we will pay a very high price if we get caught.

Petty theft could potentially put me on the unemployment line. Theft is frowned upon by the chiefs. Their union will represent them to the extent required by their contract, but probably not much beyond that. You can bet these idiots are in a ton of trouble with their union brothers.

Policy does vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, so we will see what comes of this. It is now politics and is a public relations nightmare. Would you trust a gang of theives with badges and guns? That is how some will spin it.

ETA I have never cop bashed. Ever.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:06:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Question for the apologists.  If they had taken the equivalent cash amount out of the register, would you still say everythings cool? Please answer, no changing the subject.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:45:19 AM EDT
[#48]
give them the drinks i say.  no such thing as a boyscout anymore.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:49:08 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Question for the apologists.  If they had taken the equivalent cash amount out of the register, would you still say everythings cool? Please answer, no changing the subject.

theres no cash in the registers after hours.....
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:37:15 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In my area cops and firefighters insult eachother constantly. But i know if i called the fire department, even inthe middle of the night, and told them the cops had been searching the mall for hours and needed some water the FD would be there in minutes with water, soda, coffee, snacks and whatever else they could scrounge.  We would do the same for them on a long call out.

+1

I have bought out of my own pocket for my little sisters in blue.

On the other side of the coin, They have done the same for us..

I do think what the officers did was way wrong!...But If I was the owner of the Cookie store, fountian drinks are cheap, and I would not have really cared.

I agree, the cops and volunteer firefighters at home crack on each other, but are always there when the other calls.

That said, I see a cop who steals as the equal of a firefighter who starts fires. Saying "it was only a little theft" is the same as saying "it was only a small fire".

Fire them.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top