User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]
7 years-old?

Mohawk?

He's young and stupid, let him accessorize himself like that after he's grown up a little, turns 18 and moves out.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#2]
i'd try to work in some 'added responsibilities' around the house to make him work for the haircut.     and if he doesnt do it, you can shave it off (or threaten to).

it might be a good way to get some extra slave labor out of him if he really wants it

besides, he probably wont want it for that long.  just ensure he keeps his grades up.  let him go for it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#3]

You talkin' to me?  YOU talkin' to ME?

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#4]
The last time I cut my two sons hair I gave them both mohawks, they are 4 and 7. Didn't last long, the wife made me cut the rest off within 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't believe some of you guys.. the shit grows back, who cares? It's not like he's getting a "Thug Life" tattoo on his chest.

7 year old boys are all crazy, but they're not all bad seeds.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#6]
sweet LOL

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Let him do it!

He'll be the coolest.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Hell, its just hair. . . . whats the harm, let him have fun while he is young, he will have the rest of his life to be serious.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:30:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a eight year old boy. We have been doing the summer mohawk for the last three years. Basically when school ends we ask if he wants one, sometimes yes, sometimes no. He has until halfway through summer to get it, after that hes SOL. He has to have normal hair during the school year, but summers are his. Some times we even let him put red gell in it to get a "fire" effect, he really likes flamed hotrods.

Gives him freedom of choice but still stresses being responsible when required. Allows him to decide somethings. One year he was being made fun of by another kid. He was upset for a little while and we talked some. He came to the realization that he was happy with his summer hair and the other boy could go pound sand.

Best I can do is let him experience as much as possible so he can make his own decisions as he grows. Hopefully what he has learned will enable him to make good educated ones.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:30:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You talkin' to me?  YOU talkin' to ME?

tinypic.com/aczvwo.gif

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:34:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Why on God's great earth would you even consider such a stupid thing
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:47:13 AM EDT
[#13]
yes why the hell not! what the hell kind of story is "yes the boy wanted a mohawk and I didn't let him"? nothing that is a suckass story.

on the other hand " yea me and my dad got mohawks when I was seven, and it kicked ass"! that kicks ass..

Come on! I mean Come ON!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:50:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm not sure how this works in US schools but here in the UK, Most schools have a dress code...

If my son wanted this haircut at whatever age the first person who has to sanction it is the "wife"

Then if she said sure I'd check with the school that it was not in contravention of the school rules.

Just a thought

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:53:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If he does it, should I get one as well? I wear a hat all day at work, no one would notice as my hair is pretty short

Unless you can come up with a rational explanation to deny his request, let him get it.  Don't get one yourself unless you really want to.  His (nobody's) desires shouldn't drive yours.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:54:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Why are you asking on an internet forum for advice on what to do with YOUR son?

R
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:56:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Better off wanting to do it at 7 than being 25 and doing it, let him get over the crazy shit while hes young, he will learn mohawks aint the coolest shit when he gets made fun of for having one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:01:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Sure, what harm can it do?

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:03:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How are his grades?
How does he do in school?
Is he a good kid?
Does he deserve a reward like this?

How were your grades?

They sucked until I got into high school
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:13:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Yep, let him do it, but you also have to get one. He'll see how silly you look & not want one anymore. Reverse psychology is great with kids.  Remember, if you tell him no, he'll definitely want to get one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:15:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Sure, and tell him they were pretty popular in the 50's with High School kids.

The straight A's and "easily bored" have me a little concerned.  Maybe he's hacked the school computer?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#22]
The mowhawk haircut is NOT the issue here.

The issue is chaos4570's attitude toward why he is approving of such a stunt.

It seems like there is a real point of pride in the fact that a 7 year old is a "wild child", dropped out of martial arts because he was bored and whipped some kid's ass over crayons.

To have the attitude that a 7 year old doesn't understand that martial arts teaches discipline, and that they cannot understand that concept & it's value, is total crap. I teach martial arts to that age group. I would probably say you all wouldn't belong there anyways since YOU obviously don't re-enforce such a value system.

Well I guess your sig line says it all.  

Be proud of your son, your leading him in the right direction.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:37:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Do it. He's only seven, and after all it is just hair.

I had one in Iraq for about five hours until my CO saw me. Everyone else believed that the generator went down while I was getting a haircut.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:40:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Why not give him a "faux" hawk?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:

It seems like there is a real point of pride in the fact that a 7 year old is a "wild child", dropped out of martial arts because he was bored and whipped some kid's ass over crayons.

To have the attitude that a 7 year old doesn't understand that martial arts teaches discipline, and that they cannot understand that concept & it's value, is total crap. I teach martial arts to that age group. I would probably say you all wouldn't belong there anyways since YOU obviously don't re-enforce such a value system.

+1
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Unless he's an American Indian, the answer is NO!

Start now pretty soon he'll have tats, a tongue piercing and nose ring.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:48:34 AM EDT
[#27]
He definately needs a mohawk. You should also teach him how to use kook aid to dye it and egg whites to make it stand up straight.

Be sure to buy him some Meatmen CDs.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:06:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
He definately needs a mohawk. You should also teach him how to use kook aid to dye it and egg whites to make it stand up straight.

Be sure to buy him some Meatmen CDs.

Elmers glue works pretty well too.  Kool-ade will sweat out streaks of color all over your face though.. Stick with the Manic Panic and life is ok.

I have to recommend against liberty spikes or a high-hawk though.  They take too damn much work on a daily basis.  Either way it's nothing a pair of clippers can't fix.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:22:38 AM EDT
[#29]
As probably the only guy currently wearing a mohawk on this board, I say do it.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

R

cause I was drunk
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#31]
My son decided that he would not go through with it.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

R

cause I was drunk

Well there ya go.  

Rich
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Aw, man.

Oh well maybe next time.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I don't believe some of you guys.. the shit grows back, who cares? It's not like he's getting a "Thug Life" tattoo on his chest.

7 year old boys are all crazy, but they're not all bad seeds.

Exactly!
Let him do it. It's fun, especially because it get's other people's panties in bunch. He'll want to cut it after a while, or you tell him he can only have it for a little while. It'll be fun to see the contorted faces of pansie ass whiners that will walk by and notice the hawk, and look at him and you and with that "I can't believe he let him do that/how could he do that to his child/someone call sombody",  look.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

+1

Stunt? getting yer a hair cut is a stunt.....He 7 years old................

Ive been around martial arts for a good while(approximately 13 years),  understand what it was all about.

I respectfully disagree, a 7 year old kid participates in Martial arts because it is fun. NOT because he thinks that he needs more disipline, etc......wants to learn to whip ass.....etc. He quit because he got bored......was beating everyone his own age during sparring with little to no effort.............small children get bored.  He EXCELS at everything that he does was my point.

I was not sober when I posted last evening, maybe I was unclear. I think that you are trying yer damndest too read too much into my statements

I raise my children to let NO ONE walk on them...this is why the he fought another child who STOLE from him.   If the other child would have been taught NOT to STEAL, then he would have had nothing to wory about.........

I AM VERY PROUD OF MY CHILDREN AND I DO THINK I LEAD THEM IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

I apologise if it offends you, that they dont take bullshit from anyone.......... maybe it was my REDNECK upbringing............  

Sorry, no panty waist in my house, not even my beautiful wife.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Ive been around martial arts for a good while,  understand what it was all about.

I respectfully disagree, a 7 year old kid participates in Martial arts because it is fun. NOT because he thinks that he needs more disipline, etc......wants to learn to whip ass.....etc. He quit because he got bored......was beating everyone his own age during sparring with little to no effort.............small children get bored.  He EXCELS at everything that he does was my point.

I was not sober when I posted last evening, maybe I was unclear.

I raise my children to let NO ONE walk on them...this is why the he fought another child who STOLE from him.   If the other child would have been taught NOT to STEAL, then he would have had nothing to wory about.........

I AM VERY PROUD OF MY CHILDREN AND I DO THINK I LEAD THEM IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

I apologise if it offends you, that they dont take bullshit from anyone.......... maybe it was my REDNECK upbringing............  

Sorry, no panty waist in my house

Maybe you ought to get him into a more taxing sport?  What kind of martial arts was he doing before he quit?  (Taking a wild guess -- Karate or Tae Kwon Do?)  Maybe you should get him into pee-wee football or boxing or something to that effect.  Hell, there must be Cub Scouts in your area.  I'm not sure if they still do it, but that was a great way for me to get into the challenges that shooting offers.  

I personally disagree with what some people are saying -- he's 7 years old and I say he's still learning what he likes and doesn't like about himself.  There are too many unknowns to say that you are improperly raising him, so I'm not even going to suggest that, but in defense of those people, you do have to know when to give him the reins, so to speak.  That said, I'm sure he's a great kid, but why don't you try introducing him to things that may be more challenging, mentally and physically?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
If he does it, should I get one as well? I wear a hat all day at work, no one would notice as my hair is pretty short

If it's that short it would probably be like Iroquois, not Mohican.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
[

WTF do you mean by that remark? Does it OFFEND you that I am proud to be a Redneck?

Is it wrong to be proud of who you are? you heritage? upbringing?

Maybe for us COUNTRY raised White folks, it is wrong? You should meet my best friend....He is Black and more of a REDNECK than me................ he'd really throw your PC rethorical B.S. for a loop

You'll never hear me apologize for it
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Ive been around martial arts for a good while,  understand what it was all about.

I was not sober when I posted last evening, maybe I was unclear.

Maybe you ought to get him into a more taxing sport?  What kind of martial arts was he doing before he quit?  (Taking a wild guess -- Karate or Tae Kwon Do?)  Maybe you should get him into pee-wee football or boxing or something to that effect.  Hell, there must be Cub Scouts in your area.  I'm not sure if they still do it, but that was a great way for me to get into the challenges that shooting offers.  

I personally disagree with what some people are saying -- he's 7 years old and I say he's still learning what he likes and doesn't like about himself.  There are too many unknowns to say that you are improperly raising him, so I'm not even going to suggest that, but in defense of those people, you do have to know when to give him the reins, so to speak.  That said, I'm sure he's a great kid, but why don't you try introducing him to things that may be more challenging, mentally and physically?

He has moved on to other sports and was accepted in the school's "talented and Gifted" program late last year.

It is hard to believe what some folks are suggesting here.

All over a hair cut, standing up for what is yours and getting bored in a sport.....whatever

I will state again that the term "WILD CHILD" was used as he has no fear of trying anything....He is the one who jumps off of the high dive when others whimper and run away.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Ive been around martial arts for a good while(approximately 13 years),  understand what it was all about.

I think that you are trying yer damndest to read too much into my statements.

I apologise if it offends you (screw em'), that they dont take bullshit from anyone.......... maybe it was my REDNECK upbringing............  

chaos4570, you seem to have a firm grasp on things.
People, people! Life is not as serious as you are taking it. Lighten up, un-bunch your panties, and have some fun with being parents. And people wonder why there are so many neurotic kids out there who can't make it through real life and real interaction with other humans, look at their parents!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Hell yah!

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#42]
ALRIGHT ALREADY! Enough of the chitchat, do it and post the pic!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
My son decided that he would not go through with it.

I allways put the trimmer on 1/2 inch and zip my head every june,then around sept or so trim it just a little over the big ears(so I don't get wings)then it's full tilt grow for the winter!!!

We allways got buzz cuts for the hot,humid,Oklahoma summers!!!!

It's just hair(and hot summer hair at that)I he wants it go for it!!!

Us old farts at age seven probably had more fights daily that you are posting about !

Fighting is what young people do just like young bears,cats,dogs,all gods critters to establish pecking order(better than with guns)!

You and your son sound quite normal to me!!!

Bob

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#44]
You're the parent, do as you see fit.

AB
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top