Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:34:09 AM EDT
[#1]
The diffence is....Some of the apes have risen to the level of understanding their own apelike motivations and fears....while the god apes, on the other hand, continue to howl at the moon and and whorship the sun god.

In its healthiest form, anxiety is meant to prompt an animal to avoid or escape a potentially hazardous situation. In humans, however, once we became aware of the fact that death was not only inescapable but that it could come at any moment, we were left in a state of constant mortal peril, a state of unceasing anxiety. With the emergence of self-awareness, humans became the dysfunctional animal, rendered helpless by an inherent and unceasing anxiety disorder, all due to our inherent awareness of death. Unless nature could somehow relieve us of this debilitating cognition, it's quite possible our species may have been headed for certain extinction. It was suddenly critical that our animal be modified in some way that would allow us to maintain self-conscious awareness while enabling us to deal with our unique awareness of our own mortalities. Here lies the origin of humankind's spiritual function.

-Matthew Alper
-The God Part of the Brain

"You only get disillusioned if you had illusions to begin with."

-Apes With Tools

I think, I'll go groom my female, down by the watering hole, while I wait for the god apes, to start using nuclear and viral weapons on one anouther.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yes No, we shouldn't believe that our ancestors crawled out of the ocean because the same people that used to bleed people to remedy disease tell us the the Earth was flat now tell us we're one step up from a monkey we didn't.

Oh, and bleeding is still a legitimate medical practice. And yes, they still use leeches.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am constatly surprised to find that I am not the stupidist person here on the board.

Sgat1r5

Don't lose hope. You can keep working on it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:06:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Gravity is a proven FACT.

Either way, I am skipping on the monkey show.

Ar15.com is far more entertaining

Gravity is NOT a fact.   It is still theory.   Hell, we dont even really know WHAT causes the gravity that we can measure!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
When did the History channel start doing fiction?

They're covering the bible now too?

If you watched, you'd see that they treat the Bible like fiction.

Perhaps because 60% of it is??
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I find it interesting that the ones arguing for evolution were the first (and only ones) to bring up religion.

That speaks volumes.

The only argument I seem to get is "You're stupid and you don't know anything you Bible-thumping savage!"  I thought ad hominem attacks were verboten...

eta:

And gravity is a force of nature which has been directly observed.  Go into space and objects lose weight proportionately to their distance from the earth.  Experiments have been done in space to test the law of gravity.  You do remember the astronaut dropping a hammer and a feather on the moon, don't you?

So what part of evolution has ever been observed?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw the 1/2 hour show, "The Making of Ape to Man" and I think that they are going to cover aspects of both theories (yes, Virginia...Creationism IS just a theory also) in later episodes.

I saw the 1st episode but missed the 2nd and I thought it was well done.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

When they started doing shows about "creation."
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes No, we shouldn't believe that our ancestors crawled out of the ocean because the same people that used to bleed people to remedy disease tell us the the Earth was flat now tell us we're one step up from a monkey we didn't.

Oh, and bleeding is still a legitimate medical practice. And yes, they still use leeches.

They use leeches to promote blood circulation, not to treat the common cold which is exactly what leading "experts" did several hundred years ago.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps because 60% of it is??

BTW, this is one really witty post.  Did you stay up all night thinking about posting it?  Or should we just accept your opinion because you have a whole of 245 posts regardless of the fact no one knows you?

This is why we have a religion forum so you can debate such topics  however don't be surprised if someone asks you why or to prove what you post.  

Otherwise it's highjacking this thread or if not then DienBienPhu54 is trolling and the thread should be locked.

Tj

The ironic thing is, the real Thomas Jefferson thought much of the Bible was utter BS.

Ever heard of the Jefferson Bible?

He literally cut out the virgin birth, miracle stories, claims to Jesus' divinity and the resurrection. He Never fell for the hocus pocus, dogmatic approach to Christianity, yet he considered himself a Christian.

Sounds like a rational man.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The ironic thing is, the real Thomas Jefferson thought much of the Bible was utter BS.

Ever heard of the Jefferson Bible?

He literally cut out the virgin birth, miracle stories, claims to Jesus' divinity and the resurrection. He Never fell for the hocus pocus, dogmatic approach to Christianity, yet he considered himself a Christian.

Sounds like a rational man.

If Thomas Jefferson truly believed those ideas, then he was not a Christian. He may have had some Christian influence, but denial of the divinity of Christ makes you something other than a Christian.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I find it interesting that the ones arguing for evolution were the first (and only ones) to bring up religion.

That speaks volumes.

The only argument I seem to get is "You're stupid and you don't know anything you Bible-thumping savage!"  I thought ad hominem attacks were verboten...

eta:

And gravity is a force of nature which has been directly observed.  Go into space and objects lose weight proportionately to their distance from the earth.  Experiments have been done in space to test the law of gravity.  You do remember the astronaut dropping a hammer and a feather on the moon, don't you?

The fossil record.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Everyone knows God snapped his fingers and, BAM... humans were created as we know it.  

~Dg84
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yeah, I was watching a documentary about Jesus on History Channel the other day and wondering the same thing.

Not really it wasn't preachy and their was a lot of speculation on the 20 missing years of his life and a theory that he may have been married to Mary Magdalin.  I have never disputed that at one point in history their was a Jewish rebel name jesus who was crucified for his defiance.

In regards to evolution, I have found that most of the people that are vehemently apposed to it don't understand it.  Oh and BTW generally speaking they are also the least likely to be inclined to try to understand it.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I am constatly surprised to find that I am not the stupidist person here on the board.

Sgat1r5

+1 rotflmao.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Like most things The History Channel approaches or television period it talks down to it's ignorant audience just as self proclaimed scientist and religious theorists have for generation upon generation.  They take the complex and put it into a tea spoon to be spoon fed to the unthinking.

Tj

Actually, the History Channels shows approach in the show explained pretty well, the branching theory that you described in your post.  I thought is was pretty interesting.  

The title of the show "Ape to Man" is misleading, and leads to people thinking linearly.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What would you call a book that says the world was made in a week?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That speaks volumes.

eta:

The fossil record.

The same fossil record which Darwin said was the biggest single problem with his theory?

If evolution were true, there would be nothing BUT intermediate stages to be found throught the entire fossil record.  But there aren't.  All that can be found are separate and distinct species which sometimes share similar features.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Ape to man my ass.

Evolution is retarded. First off for something to evolve and thrive it would have to have some feature that would help it survive. The animals (apes) with this feature would survive and mate with each other. While the apes without the feature would die out. And so on and so forth.

If no apes died out then the evolution wouldn't have taken place. Because there would be to many apes without the gene mating with apes with the gene. It would even out. Also there is no way that apes could have evolved rapidly into another species that couldn't cross bread.

So if Ape to Man was true. There would be no apes. They would have died millions of years ago during the "evolution" process.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I have no doubt Adam and Eve were much more primitive than us. But they did not evolve from apes. I am sure they had more hair and may have been hunched over somewhat. But that doesn't make them apes.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:32:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:19:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you want to believe that you came from an ape then you go ahead and believe it.

BUT I DID NOT COME FROM A FUCKING APE!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVOLUTION OF APE TO MAN IS THEORY!!!!!

I wasn't prepared to accept your opinion as truth, but since you yelled it that makes all the difference.  

Our very early ancestors were single celled creatures.  As some point, they were fish.  You're getting hung up on apes.

If memory serves, the apes you're thinking are actually our evolutionary cousins.  We (humans and apes) have a common ancestor and apes are not a direct link.

Exactly ! Man did not evolve from apes and apes will never evolve into man.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:20:34 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe that they have covered religious subjects.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:25:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Evolution is DOGMA.  Not science.  Beleive it all you want, but don't claim intellectual superiority because you beleive it.

Its only considered science because so many "scientists" believe it.  Not because its in any way provable.  Or even probable for that matter.

In the real world, science is something that can be demonstrated and proven.  Gravity is a fact because it has been PROVEN to exist.

Evolution is not because no experiment or demonstratable phenomenon has ever supported it.  The only thing evolutionists have is speculation.

I am intellectually superior to you.
All religion is based on faith and not proof.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:00:01 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The same fossil record which Darwin said was the biggest single problem with his theory?

If evolution were true, there would be nothing BUT intermediate stages to be found throught the entire fossil record.  But there aren't.  All that can be found are separate and distinct species which sometimes share similar features.

Fossilization itself is difficult and requires specific circumstances to happen. The odds of everything being fossilized is pretty slim to start with.

I am sure there are plenty of species that never got fossilized. Heck, there are plenty of species ALIVE right now that we don't know about.

But you are correct in that the fossil record tends to skip worse than a 45 that's been used as a frisbee. (You old timers will get that)
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:02:00 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I am intellectually superior to you.
All religion is based on faith and not proof.

Elvis has left the building, ladies and gentlemen.....

At least he has the honesty to admit his hubris.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you want to believe that you came from an ape then you go ahead and believe it.

BUT I DID NOT COME FROM A FUCKING APE!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVOLUTION OF APE TO MAN IS THEORY!!!!!

I wasn't prepared to accept your opinion as truth, but since you yelled it that makes all the difference.  

Our very early ancestors were single celled creatures.  As some point, they were fish.  You're getting hung up on apes.

If memory serves, the apes you're thinking are actually our evolutionary cousins.  We (humans and apes) have a common ancestor and apes are not a direct link.

Exactly ! Man did not evolve from apes and apes will never evolve into man.

Oh yeah we did. Beyond the fossil evidence the DNA evidence is overwhelming.
An if humans were removed from the planet eveolutionary pressure would probably lead to a human like creature evolving from todays apes. There is both convergent and divergent evolution.

ETA: Dammit, it keep posting under my old handle as I am trying to use my search function. Grrrr.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I still doubt seriously that a TV show can convince me of the missing link and man came from ape concept and sometimes enjoy watching a show I can say Bull a few times.

Tj

This is a good point, and the show started with the theory of a "missing link", but in the end, they stated that there probably wasn't any one "link" but many, diverging, and branches creating the different species.  

Apes of today and us probably came from a common ancestor.  They went one way, we went another.  

One of the more fascinating aspects of the show was talking about how Neanderthal is NOT a genetic match to us, and was around when Humans were.  They were also an offshoot, or branch in our evolutionary tree.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top