Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#1]
   Ive been stopped twice, First Cop had me get out of the car after asking where my weapon was.
The second time I stayed in my car and the Cop just asked me where my weapon was but I did get a ticket the second time because of a constuction zone
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#2]
There is some good info in this thread. I like it.

And no, he did search the car. He asked if there were any other weapons, I said yes, under the seat. He said ok, no problem.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
BTW, I was also told that it's a good idea to turn on your dome light if you're stopped at night.

I agree, and I always do. Well, I have been pulled over once at night.... stupid license plate lightbulbs...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
BTW, I was also told that it's a good idea to turn on your dome light if you're stopped at night.

I would be interested in what some of the LEO's had to say about this. (in CCW states)
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#7]
When I informed the Oregon State Trooper I was lawfully carrying his response was “I don’t care about that”.  He then preceded with the traffic infraction and never said an other word about it.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I was stopped by a female State Patrol officer for speeding.
She just wanted to warn me that I was going just a little too fast.
When she came up to the car I told her that my wallet was in my pocket and I had to remove my CW to get at it.
She asked what kind of a gun I had, I told her, she said cool.
I got my wallet out and gave her the rest of my info.
She looked it over and asked me to please slow down.
Then she asked me why I neded to carry a gun, I told her that it was for my defense.
I told her what I carried, she smiled and said good choice.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A Texas CHL instructor (retired LEO, 13yrs behind the badge) told me that (unofficially) you have about an 85% chance of getting out of a simple speeding ticket if you have a CHL.  Once you present that license, they know you're one of the good guys and you're not going to do anything to them.  

That means I am a 15%er.  

Yep, 15%er here too.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I have not been pulled over with since I have had mine yet. I always keep my gun in the console anyway.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I have carried for 9 years on a daily basis and have been pulled over twice during that time.

The first time was in the people's republic of Fairfax County, Virginia where they made me get out of the car, spread my legs, and took my gun off me.  The officer even called for back up.  While the first officer was writing me a ticket the second officer was asking me a zillion questions about why I needed to carry.

The second time was by a Virginia State Trooper.  When I informed him I had a gun on my hip he matter-of-factly said "That's nice."  

I guess it all boils down to the officer's discretion, but personally I think they ought not be able to take a gun off of a valid CCW holder (we've already been checked out) unless they have a reasoanble fear for their own safety.   Plus, I don't think most cops around my neck of the woods are expert enough to handle a Glock foti.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yeah. I've been told dome light, window down, car off, flashers on, hands on the wheel until you're asked to get your stuff. Makes sense, why make the guy's job more stressful than it has to be?

And on the 85% thing, I swear I got out of the ticket above (just a warning for 65 in a 45, I told him I was not doing 65, but 55) either because I carry or because I'm a Penn Stater. Cop and I chatted about last year's offensive line and this years prospects for 5 minutes on the side of the road.

At the end of the day, be polite and open and everybody will go on their way. Remember, the cop is approaching your car the SAME WAY you would approach a loud sound in your house at 3 AM.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm really confused by this mentality that LEOs can disarm us any time for no reason, and the fact that 1/2 of you are okay with that.  Looks like TX wrote a pretty crummy CHP law - I'm pretty sure that's not the case in Virginia.  I'm around LEOs pretty much every 2 or 3 days armed and I'm guessing they probably feel better about it than me being disarmed (just like I feel better about having them around and armed).  

I'm really concerned with this idea that you've proven yourself responsible enough to carry in public, but that's not good enough around LEOs.  I'm concerned that their safety is paramount to yours simply because they are in a position of power.  Isn't that abuse of power? (i.e. using their power to enforce the law to put themselves personally in a position of advantage)  What good is a Right if someone can randomly take it away?  I guess I just don't get it.  We're talking about people who have done nothing wrong in these cases (typically a traffic citation, which has nothing to do with RKBA).  

I struggle with this, and am not sure I'll comply with someone trying to disarm me unless I'm under arrest or being detained.  You guys can spout all you want about imasculation or whatever.  That's not the deal.  It's about doing what you know is right and trying to change things for the better.  I struggle with the fact that we enjoy our Freedom because our Forefathers gave everything they had, and now we're afraid to protest disarmament (I'm sure as hell speaking to a supervisor and asking for the section of code that says I can be disarmed without probable cause), open carry, write letters, vote or just exercise the Rights God gave us.  I'm kind of suprised that this is the response from guys on a board like ar15.com.....

Black Fox
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been pulled over twice while CCW, and they never batted an eye after I told them.  I gave them my DL, registration, insurance and CHL, and they handed the CHL back before going back to their car to check on the other stuff.  

One gave me a ticket; the other let me off with a warning.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been pulled over about five or six times while carrying.  I've never told the officer about the gun because I'm not required to.

A few years ago, I came home to find seven pistols and two rifles were stolen from my apartment.  When I called the police to report it, I had my only remaining handgun in my waistband (I hadn't put it away yet and forgot to).  They asked me to come for a ride to the detective station and speak with a detective.  I hopped in the car (still armed), rode to the detective station, and sat there while the detective accused me of being a straw purchaser.  He then asked me if I have a CCW, and I told him yes.  He asked me if I was carrying at the moment, and I told him NO, because I wasn't sure if it was legal to carry there.  He nodded his head and said "OK".  Nothing else came of it and I left the station after a few hours of this guy tourqing my nuts to admit that I was selling the guns on the street (which I wasn't of course).  Keep in mind that I wasn't expecting to be asked to ride to the police station and hopped into the car without thinking and ditching my handgun in the house first.

My theory is that if they're asking you questions, they're out to hurt you.  If they had something to charge you with, they wouldn't be asking you any questions.  My only crime was being the victim of a burglary.

The detective called me a day or two later to reassure me that he believed my guns were stolen in a legitimate burglary and not to worry, he just had to do his job and make sure.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#16]
CCW  permit owner here .....Got pulled over 2 wks ago for speeding , Trooper never asked & I didn't tell him... got my ticket  & we parted ways...but I feel pretty sure that when he ran my Liscence they would have informed him that I had the permit .. I may be wrong on that
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have been stopped many times in TN & we hand over our CCL along with our DL & the cops merely ask "where's the gun?" No frisking, no unloading, nada.

Had this happen twice.  Both times I was speeding.  Both times I BSed with the cop about guns, he gave me a verbal warning, and all was good.

I hope the cops in FL are just as cool.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The first time was in the people's republic of Fairfax County, Virginia where they made me get out of the car, spread my legs, and took my gun off me.  The officer even called for back up.  While the first officer was writing me a ticket the second officer was asking me a zillion questions about why I needed to carry.

I believe I would have not passed their "attitude" test with that bullshit. I have had one cop make a remark about my carrying & I pointed out, "you carry too". He didn't answer.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#19]
In FL we aren't required to tell the officer we're carrying if stopped and I never have during any traffic stop.  I wouldn't do it here unless asked by the officer to get out of the car...I would have my wallet out and CHL ready to present, just in case it came to that, but if not there is no reason to make it any more complicated than necessary.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:46:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Disarming you was unneccesary IMO, but he may be buddies with the officer that was shot, and a little extra cautious today.

It USED to be that presenting a CHL would get you out of all sorts of stuff, but that's going by the wayside. Two CHL holders have shot at police during traffic stops in the past year.  One fired 46 rounds  into the patrol car from a 9mm and a AK.  Officer responded with three rounds of .40 in the CHL holder's chest.  Plus,  for some reason we're finding a LOT of perverts with CHL's.

Add to that the double homicide by a CHL holder back in 2000 and it's not the guarantee it used to be.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#21]
No. Not normal for me.

I have been stopped once since getting the CHL. The officer, who was running radar from a motorcycle, asked where the firearm was (center console). He asked me to exit the vehicle while he did paperwork.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been pulled over several times while carrying, and my experiences couldn't have been nore different than yours. Each stop went great, I was treated professionally, respectfully and courteously. That cop was way out of line, and sure as heck doesn't sound like any Texas DPS or local cop I've either met, or run into.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have been stopped many times in TN & we hand over our CCL along with our DL & the cops merely ask "where's the gun?" No frisking, no unloading, nada.

And that's the way to ought to be for licensed holders who forthrightly declare.
Getting put in a position, restrained, and disarmed is BULLSHIT.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#24]
ok heres another take. i'm not old enough to CHL. i volunteer at the washington county sheriffs office all the time. i do search and rescue mostly, but we get to do uniformed ride alongs and some real awesome stuff.

i was volunteering for a month, and the deputies convinced me to carry a knife on me at all times. they've convinced me to get my CHL when i turn 21. hell they trust us to shoot thier guns when they take us to the range once a year as a treat. The leos that i work with want people to CHL, let people go when they tell them they CHL unless they are jerks about it, and even get upset about having to do things, when a CHL holder could have done it.

i know that the LEOs i've worked with go light on you guys. but thats not enough, cockyness, if you act like you're bragging about your chl to them, if you're a jerk, or if you look like a bg, they will go much worse on you. its kind of something thats braught on yourself. with a chl you almost never get in the middle, usualy its a good experience, or a bad experience, never a normal one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

or if you look like a bg, they will go much worse on you. its kind of something thats braught on yourself.

Not everyone looks like a choirboy. Given that one has a CCL, they have proven beyond a fact they are legal & not a thug. You may have had good experiences with your guys, that's all well & good. But there's a shitload of other cops out there who are 180 degrees away from that attitude.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#26]
FYI:  there are no absolute speed limits in Texas - the signs are merely a posted suggestion so if you were going just a little faster, on a clear sunny day with no major hurdles you could justify your speed....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been stopped 4 or 5 times with my CHL.  I got tickets on most of those stops but the cops were extremely nice except for one.

This particular cop spoke in a way as if I shouldn't have it:

YOU HAVE A GUN IN YOUR TRUCK??!!
TELL ME WHERE YOUR GUN IS!!!!

I was polite, never had a problem before with anyone else, but this cop was high strung and spoke as if he was going to make me get out of my truck because I had a gun in my console. (all this after I kindly volunteered my CHL right off the bat).

Wrote about it on here but mentioned I got a ticket so everyone assumed that was my beef with him.  Some guys on here tear me up some time and just hear what they want.  Like they don't feel big enough at home so they see a chance on here and they just bash people.

I got tickets from a lot of cops and thought they were cool. Even the ones who didn't seem friendly don't bother me, theyre just doing their job.

This one however was not professional and made me feel like he was going to pull out his gun and shoot me.  Literally.  Probably should have made a complaint, but figured I'd let it go.

I should mention I'm white, was in mid-20's, and driving a brand new Dodge Ram in an upper-middle class neighborhood.  Always respectful of police... that's why I never have a problem... except with this high strung dude.  Was a rookie cop that thought he was all that and a bag of chips I think.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Stopped for speeding (hmm... what's up w/ ARFCommers and speeding?) in Nederland, CO. Town marshal approached and -

Me: "Before we go any further, I have a license to carry concealed and I do have a pistol on me."
Her: "Okay. Where is it?"
Me: "About 4:00. My wallet's on the other side but the gun's next to the seat belt release. Did you want me to stay buckled up?"
Her: Pause. "Nah, just don't touch the gun, okay?"

She kept asking if I was a cop or private investigator et cetera. Couldn't tell if she didn't get the armed citizen idea or if she was trying to give me an out for speeding or what. Seemed a little odd that she kept asking but I didn't lie and just took the ticket. No biggie at all, thankfully.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I've never even been asked about my weapon and in TN they know if your a CCW holder if they run your tags, only stopped twice in 7 years , once by a local once by highay Patrol weapon never mentioned. Only DL, proof of  ins. and registration
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I've been pulled over before in TX.

Officer asked if I was carrying. I said "Yes". He said "Well don't shoot me" and laughed.

Then unfortunately he proceeded to give me a $##@! ticket.

Ed

I think I would rather get a deserved ticket from a LEO than get treated like a thug, manhandled, disarmed, and possibly catch an ND for no good reason.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Disarming you was unneccesary IMO, but he may be buddies with the officer that was shot, and a little extra cautious today.

It USED to be that presenting a CHL would get you out of all sorts of stuff, but that's going by the wayside. Two CHL holders have shot at police during traffic stops in the past year.  One fired 46 rounds  into the patrol car from a 9mm and a AK.  Officer responded with three rounds of .40 in the CHL holder's chest.  Plus,  for some reason we're finding a LOT of perverts with CHL's.

Add to that the double homicide by a CHL holder back in 2000 and it's not the guarantee it used to be.

That does shine a little different light on the issue.  That's really too bad.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:14:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In Ohio, twice I have been stopped.  I informed them and they said OK, and nothing more came about it.  Actually, I always thought it was odd they never asked for my gun or removed it.  Maybe some of them just know we aren't the bad guys....

Dan

Did you have the weapon out in plain view as prescribed by the current (screwed-up) law?

Took a trip to Ohio a couple weekends ago.  I always check to see what the laws are in the states
I'll be traveling through.  Was more than a little surprised at the "in plain view" part of the Ohio law.
Instead, I secured mine in a locked case.  How did that requirement get into Ohio's carry law?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#33]

No, it is not typical.  IMHO, he was being overly cautious (and somewhat of a jerk).  Most times when they pull over CHL holders in Texas, they are extremely polite -- seeing that you cannot obtain a CHL without having a perfectly clean record.

Not entirely true.  Served a felony warrant a few days ago for a guy that has been in prison over the course of the past 6 or 7 years for numerous felony drug charges (PG1 w/ intent to deliver) and he had a valid Texas CHL.  He was a real piece of work and what do you know, had some meth.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a concealed carry permit but have never used it.  I work for the Feds and they don't alow firearms in the facility or parking lot where I work.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'm really confused by this mentality that LEOs can disarm us any time for no reason, and the fact that 1/2 of you are okay with that.  Looks like TX wrote a pretty crummy CHP law - I'm pretty sure that's not the case in Virginia.  I'm around LEOs pretty much every 2 or 3 days armed and I'm guessing they probably feel better about it than me being disarmed (just like I feel better about having them around and armed).  

I'm really concerned with this idea that you've proven yourself responsible enough to carry in public, but that's not good enough around LEOs.  I'm concerned that their safety is paramount to yours simply because they are in a position of power.  Isn't that abuse of power? (i.e. using their power to enforce the law to put themselves personally in a position of advantage)  What good is a Right if someone can randomly take it away?  I guess I just don't get it.  We're talking about people who have done nothing wrong in these cases (typically a traffic citation, which has nothing to do with RKBA).

I struggle with this, and am not sure I'll comply with someone trying to disarm me unless I'm under arrest or being detained.  You guys can spout all you want about imasculation or whatever.  That's not the deal.  It's about doing what you know is right and trying to change things for the better.  I struggle with the fact that we enjoy our Freedom because our Forefathers gave everything they had, and now we're afraid to protest disarmament (I'm sure as hell speaking to a supervisor and asking for the section of code that says I can be disarmed without probable cause), open carry, write letters, vote or just exercise the Rights God gave us.  I'm kind of suprised that this is the response from guys on a board like ar15.com.....

Black Fox

hey blue fox,
I will respectfully have to disagree with you.  LEOs have a job to do and they don't know who you are, and that CCW doesn't mean you aren't a wacko with a dead body in the trunk.  And yes they are putting themselves in a position of advantage because they should and are trained that way.  They have a duty to the public to keep order and to win a fight if necessary.  The law is set up that way to give them the latitude to use more force than the public is allowed.  You may not want to be a sheep but if you didn't do anything wrong relax and deal with it, it's temporary.  You're not going to like it; but your attitude if you act the way you talk will get you in trouble.  (Not following a direction even in a traffic stop can be construed as resisting arrest, you do that with a firearm and you made yourself the criminal over a ticket, sucks but true) (in many case law examples, you can be considered under arrest once the red/blue lights go on, not charged but under arrest nonetheless)  I hope this helps.
and remember it's a free country (with implied and written limitations)
the weasel

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes, if you are in an unexpected situation where you need to rapidly retrieve your gun, you might have a very bad surprise.

"Haha!  Good thing I've got my trusty .45!"
*BLAM*
"OWSONOFABITCHMOTHER****ER!!!"  

Tactical Bob Goes Shopping.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#37]

He asked if it was a registered gun, I answered yes of course. He told me to slow down, thanked me for informing him about the gun and sent me on my way with a "Have a nice day".

We have gun registration in Florida? New to me.

As a matter of fact, you are not required by law to inform a cop you have a concealed weapon in your car or any weapon for that matter.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
In Ohio, twice I have been stopped.  I informed them and they said OK, and nothing more came about it.  Actually, I always thought it was odd they never asked for my gun or removed it.  Maybe some of them just know we aren't the bad guys....

Dan

Did you have the weapon out in plain view as prescribed by the current (screwed-up) law?

Took a trip to Ohio a couple weekends ago.  I always check to see what the laws are in the states
I'll be traveling through.  Was more than a little surprised at the "in plain view" part of the Ohio law.
Instead, I secured mine in a locked case.  How did that requirement get into Ohio's carry law?

Our head JBT, Colonel Paul McLellan (Highway Patrol Commissioner) made a big fucking stink about it.  He whined like a little bitch that the roads would be running red with the blood of his troopers.  So in order to get the law through, they threw him a bone.

Mind you, we are the only state with CCW that has that moronic requirement.  Anyway, now that the law is in the books, we just need to clean up that and some of the other restrictions about where we can't carry.  FWIW, unless there's a metal detector at the door, I ignore the cute signs with a pistol inside a red circle.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, now that I think about it, I was kinda treated rough. I didnt look all that "proper" yesterday, as well. All black, black hat with flames, hadn't shaved in 3 days. I guess I was too much of a thug
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I've been stopped with a pistol several times, I've never had anyone try to get the gun off me, that's pretty silly, good way for some cop who doesn't know a 1911 from a beretta to shoot someone while fiddle fucking around with their pistol.

Plus one fucking million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was stopped once, told the cop I had a .38 on top of the registration in the center console (I had no CCW permit), and all he said was "no problem, just don't shoot me".  It's safer for EVERYONE involved to leave the weapon where it is - that way there are no misunderstandings and no chance for a negligent discharge.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#41]
I would be more than a little pissed.  No reason to go to such lengths after you INFORMED him, completely within the law.  I could see such measures if you forgot and he saw it/found it, but that seems like an over-reaction.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I was on my way back from hillsboro texas to my apt, and I was crusing at 70 mph (as my speedo says). Anyway, I pass a trooper going to opposite way, and I saw him flip a bitch. Im thinking "great", I was doing the speed limit. Honest.

He approaches the car with the typical "license, insurance, etc speech". I informed him that I am a CHL holder, and I am currently armed.

He tells me to get out of my truck, makes me face my door, "politely" but rather strongly pins my arms to my lower back, unarms me, and unloads the pistol, and leaves it in the front seat. Im thinking, hmm, that was a bit harsh...  I tell him I really was doing 70, and pretty much ruled on the fact that I installed 34" tires on my truck, hence the speedo error...

Anyway, he loosens up, gives me a warning, and we bullshit about guns when he finds out I sell them at a local shop. We part, I leave.

Is this a typical stop? Is it usual to be forcefully "but politely" disarmed as a CHL holder? Im not bashing the trooper at all, he was doing his job....and I got a warning only

Hmmmm... sounds odd. I always have my permit ready to go with my license and tell them that I have my pistol in my car with me. I've never had a problem but once a state trooper seemed to get a little nervous about it. Oh well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Got stopped the other night about midnight.  Coming back from a jog site in my buddies work truck with god knows what behind the seat and always at least 2 boxes of shotgun shells on the dash.

LEO started with the "know why I stopped you?".  I started to answer "probably because I was riding the double yellow ay 70 so I wouldn't lose my buddy who knew these goat paths", but just handed him my license. I was tired and  forgot to give him my CCW.  I have always been curious as to the response to a late night BS stop if you are stone sober and give your CCW  with your DL.

All he really wanted to do was smell my breath anyway.  Told me to put a flag on the ladder and have a nice night.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I guess I've been pulled over 3-4 times
in the 20+ years I've had a CCW permit .
NY does not require that you inform the
officer that you have a weapon , so I don't .

The last time I got pulled over about a year ago
the trooper did ask if I was armed . I said yes
and that was that . He didn't ask to see the
weapon or my permit , but he did ask that I keep
my hands on wheel when he came back to my car .

He had me dead to rights for 87 in a 55
( Damn slicktops are hard to spot in the mirror )
But I only got a failure to obey a sign ticket .
Which is a no point revenue maker with a $250 fine

Still sucks , but that’s the game .
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#45]
1st time - asked if he could take it,  I told him to go ahead but be careful it was chambered.  I was carrying mexican and he gingerly took it with 2 fingers and put it in his cruiser but was pretty polite.  Told me to get a good holster cause I might shoot myself in the ass.

2nd time - cop says "if you won't draw yours I won't draw mine.  I just started laughing when he said that.

3rd time - asked where it was, I turned and pulled my shirt really tight so it printed well through the Tshirt.  Cop says  "Glock huh? Which one?"  I said 23 and he says "cool,  now about driving in the left hand lane"

4th time - cop says "oh, ok thanks for telling me"

In Utah the CCL is a get out of jail free card.  I have only got one ticket while carrying and he coul have impounded my car (driving on previous owners registration after purchasing the car) but instead wrote me for no seatbelt so I count that one too.

Generally cops have really "decelerated" after I claimed/showed CCL.  No more creeping up and hanging way back and peering in,  none of that.  It's weird and counterintuitive. My theory is that they figure if you have a CCL you probably don't have a warrant out.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#46]
I love CCW holders.  I like it when they tell me they are carrying even though there is no warning required here in Cali.  I figure If a citizen is straight up with me from the beginning, I take it as a sign they are straight up too.   I never muched like writing tickets anyway, I always liked getting the felons and perv's.  

I have run across, Colt's, Smith's Beretta's, Rugers, and in one case, a highly polished Browning Hi-Power with Isreali ammo in it, same as the ammo from his UZI next to him !  Samson 9mm I think.   No problem !   Slow down, have a nice day !

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Here are a couple of my roadside experiences with Texas LEO's:

1. The first one went very well, even considering my newly issued CHL had me listed as "NSA," or not qualified to carry a semi-auto. The DPS Trooper personally called the CHL Department in Austin to have them issue me a letter attesting to that fact, until a corrected one was issued. I received a follow up call from them the next day, the letter for my glove box in two days, and the new CHL in less than two weeks!

I was so grateful with his handling of the situation and how he treated me, I wrote a letter of appreciation to his commanding officer and paid for a one year membership to LEAA (I'm a Life Member). FWIW, he had already issued the ticket.

2. Pulled over in Houston, late at night. Nothing at all: "Thank you sir, have a good evening."

3. Pulled over in the middle of nowhere, in West Texas. I was speeding with three other cars behind me. After I presented my DL and CHL, told him I was carrying. His question: "Have any more guns with you?"

Me: "Sure do-a couple of pistols, a rifle, and a whole lot of ammo in the trunk.

Him: "Plan on doing some shooting, do you?"

Me: "Yup. When I go out of town on business, I'd rather go to a rental range than sit in a hotel room and watch movies."

Him (after returning, after he checked my DL and CHL): "Here you go. Just a warning today, but slow it down a little, will ya?"

Me: "Yes sir, and thanks for your courtesy." If I had to guess, it would be that the other three strangers behind me didn't get off so easily.

4. Pulled over once again in West Texas, on I-20. I handed over my DL and CHL, and kept my hands on the wheel. The trooper returns with the ticket and asks me "Say, what are you carrying?"

Me: "A 1911."

Him: (Big smile) "Okay, well I gotta tell you, this was the first time I've ever stopped a guy with a CHL and it went just like our training said it would. Be careful."

5. Pulled over in a small town, not far T.I.G.E.R. Valley (home of our own Gunstock) by a young town LEO. After the exchange of info, he returns with nothing more than "Have a great day," and then asks me what I'm carrying. "A 1911." Big smile and a thumbs up. "Good man," he says. "Be careful driving."

I know there are LEO's even in Texas that aren't on our side where CHL's are concerned, but my experience has been nothing but positive. Live in Texas, work in Texas, raise a family in Texas, and one day, die in Texas.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#48]
The last guy I stopped who had a gun with him, looked back at me and said "Officer, I'm armed."  I looked at him and said "so am I."  We just smiled at each other and that was it.  I let him go with a warning about his speed.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Not entirely true.  Served a felony warrant a few days ago for a guy that has been in prison over the course of the past 6 or 7 years for numerous felony drug charges (PG1 w/ intent to deliver) and he had a valid Texas CHL.  

Given that Federal Law prohibits even possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, something seems to be awry with your felon & Texas CCL? Either he didn't submit the correct info regarding ID or someone else got the license for him. State law cannot override Federal Law, IIRC?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top