Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#1]
He needs a Tittle 1983 law suit..if a jury finds her guilty..she is fired. The town pays money. I hate the way ICAP and other chief's organizations claim to reperesent Law Enforcement.

We sued our Chief, after he 'suddenly retired'...won againt him for violating our 1st Ammendment rights..He got a job as Chief in another department..lasted 6 hours when the Freeholders got blasted by the lawsuits he caused and he suddenly left again...
He was given a clean bill of Health for the Hire...the investigator was a retired fellow Chief....who was told they would not pay his fee, as he did not do his job.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
man that s fudged up
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Great. All it takes to have your guns taken from you is a "concerned" person calling the cops and reporting that you are _______. (insert affliction here)

Hell, I'm suicidal every time I see my mother-in-law coming up the driveway.

I've forwarded your reponse to authorities.  You will soon be protected from yourself and your property siezed for "safekeeping".  Don't worry though, it's all for your own good.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#4]
This is complete bullshit, the dude did nothing wrong, and wants his guns back. I'm willing to bet some money that the police will log EVERY gun make, model, serial number, amount of ammo, magazines etc that they will be transferring over to him.

Upon doing that, they have an informal registry, and they know every type of weapon he has. Sorry, I'd have called a lawyer and not signed a damn thing either. These police departments need to stop overstepping their boundaries. It is ridiculous.

If he has never done anything to bar himself from legally owning or possessing a firearm, there is no reason for the police to require any signature on a form asking these questions, and not to mention, these questions are more radically intrusive than what is already on a 4473.

Another wronged citizen
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#5]
If all he has to do to get his property back is sign a paper then he needs to inkstick up. It seems from reading the initial post the man needs to pick his battles a little better.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If all he has to do to get his property back is sign a paper then he needs to inkstick up. It seems from reading the initial post the man needs to pick his battles a little better.

No, he has to sign the paper IN ADDITION to answering a bunch of intrusive questions...the form he must fill out is called "Application for the Return of Firearms" well, if he did nothing wrong, wasn't arrested, wasn't charged, why would he need to APPLY to get his property back...note they didn't return anything...including ammo, books, or optics.

I hope he gets every indivdual involved fired....
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Just wait, they'll deem just having over "X" amout of guns a mental dissorder grounds for confiscation: "He has 41 guns, nobody needs that many guns, he must be CRAZY"

you can almost hear it
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#8]
A friend of Gaithersburg Police Chief Mary Ann Viverette told me she was suicidal.

Hope she enjoys the abuse of her rights.  Really, if that's all it takes to get to be able to search someone's property that thoroughly I think the Police have come up with a surefire way to just skip the judge and search warrant. and start a nice pawn shop.....

OTOH I think there's some information missing so I'll withhold judgement on this except to say that when the guy moved the incentive to treat him right was lost and it became easier to abuse someone from another state.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Now see, this case is exactly why you scatter your guns around. Leave some in your cabin, a couple in the attic, maybe bury one in the yard, etc.

And how did the cops get into his safe without destroying it? I KNOW that if this happened to me there'd be no fucking WAY they'd get the combination to my safe out of me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#10]
You've always had to sue to get confiscated guns (and other property) back. Thank the "war on drugs" for that...

Fifth Amendment? What Fifth Amendment?

—Dan
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I see nothing that says he was ever committed, nor do I see anything about a hearing before a judge.  There is also nothing about a judge ordering the gun seized.

If you go back and read, they had NO WARRANT!

They don't need one to seize the weapons of a person who is a danger to themselves or others and is being held for mental eval.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Fezell said Tuesday that the city would be served "very shortly."

lets hope
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Back in the '80s Chicago PD did something similar to my FIL's guns after he was murdered. Except they never offered to return them. First the Chicago PD told the MIL to get lost and actually threatened her with arrest when she kept asking about them. They then later claimed they were "destroyed". More likely handed out as rewards to cronies and friends.

No justification was ever given for the seizure and warrantless entry into his house. Neither of them have/had a criminal record.

MIL was not a wealthy woman, and the sale of FIL's collection would have done a lot to help cover his debts. Instead she was screwed over by a bunch of badge-wearing thieves.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see nothing that says he was ever committed, nor do I see anything about a hearing before a judge.  There is also nothing about a judge ordering the gun seized.

They don't need one to seize the weapons of a person who is a danger to themselves or others and is being held for mental eval.

I'm surprised that the cops/local gov't in one of these occupied states hasn't yet fucked with the wrong guy.  Someone who would systematically take them out one by one.  There ARE people that take this kind of bullshit much more seriously than this guy, and who wouldn't wait for the results of a lawsuit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
File a theft report and call the ATF.

+1
Small town popo tend to either dig in like all hell, or roll over and play dead if the feds get involved.

Course, if/when they dig in, they usually don't win.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, the person I was responding to kept talking about the judge that issued the warrant.  There wasn't one.

This person was never proven to be a danger to himself or others.  It was a wild goose chase.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well, the person I was responding to kept talking about the judge that issued the warrant.  There wasn't one.

This person was never proven to be a danger to himself or others.  It was a wild goose chase.

No, he  was describing what the procedure is in his area:

"Nope, a little more involved than that. He has to be evaluated to be involuntarily commited. There is also a hearing before the judge. (the same one that would order the guns seized) there would also be continuing evaluations/court hearings during his stay in whatever facility he went to. Usually in 30 day increments.

A complaint would certainly start the process though."

Those of you who condemn this incident because of a neighbor or relatives report don't understand just how many calls for service are prompted by reports from third parties.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Before they left, police had grabbed 61 firearms, plus spotting scopes, binoculars, ammunition and books about firearms.

I'm sure he was in great danger from those optics and books.

Someday they'll drive someone to "carl drega" type action.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I had the same lawyer in Montgomery County in 1993, he was AWESOME!  He's a real bulldog when it comes to firearms rights, and he's in the 1% of lawyers giving the others a good name. Montgomery County as a whole is rabidly anti-gun.

Some folks don't have any understanding of how bad it is in "occupied" states.

I don't intend to ever find out either.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Anthony Mora was not only described by a detective as a “licensed gun collector”, he is on record as a conservative activist in Montgomery County politics. As a Republican, he ran unsuccessfully for the House of Delegates in 1994, making news at the time with the raffle of a handgun to raise funds for his campaign. In 1998 he fought the good fight for a Senate seat in his up-county district, again unsuccessfully but at least serving as standard bearer for things in which we believe. The Washington Post's candidate guide said, “Mora opposes as intrusive government controls on everything from handguns to seat belts.”

There you go

Wrong thinking for Maryland.

Better send over Johninaustin to set his mind right.

GM

Johninaustin,  Johninaustin,  Johninaustin. OH Johnin austin . Austin being the operative word here.

What I find ironic is this "suicidal" individual could very well have wound up dead if one of these stormtroopers didn't like the way he reacted. I'd like more details on the "concerned" acquaintance. What was the situation that lead to this report? Is there no possible case for damages against that individual?

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

looks like they probably knew the politics of the guy, considered him an enemy, and had their way with him because of that.

JBTs suck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#23]
and we all know, removing guns from someone is a surefire way to keep him from killing himself.

knives and car crashes would never work.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Nope, a little more involved than that. He has to be evaluated to be involuntarily commited. There is also a hearing before the judge. (the same one that would order the guns seized) there would also be continuing evaluations/court hearings during his stay in whatever facility he went to. Usually in 30 day increments.

Those of you who condemn this incident because of a neighbor or relatives report don't understand just how many calls for service are prompted by reports from third parties.

There was no judge involved.

I don't care how it is done in his area, this did not happen his area.  It appears that he was detained and his firearms confiscated without a judge ever being involved.

None of what you describe was done.

I guess you think what happened is just fine, huh.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#25]
The cops all split up his weapons, some were probably sold off.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:09:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't care how it is done in his area, this did not happen his area.  It appears that he was detained and his firearms confiscated without a judge ever being involved.

We understand that it did not happen in Johns area. John was describing what is the procedure in his area and the general concept that officers routinely seize firearms from people who they believe are an imminent harm to themselves or others. John was also describing that for the weapons to be permanently retained, the case has to go in front of a judge. He is not claiming anything else.

I agree with the temporary seizure of the weapons based on the initial report of him being a harm to himself or others. Usually it doesn't drag on as long as it has in this case.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Great. All it takes to have your guns taken from you is a "concerned" person calling the cops and reporting that you are _______. (insert affliction here)

I've forwarded your reponse to authorities.  You will soon be protected from yourself and your property siezed for "safekeeping".  Don't worry though, it's all for your own good.  

and his mother-in-law's.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

A little more involved than that. Yes, someone can report your behavior. The officers then respond and decide if the person is in fact displaying some behavior that indicates they are a harm to themselves or others.The only time the officers aren't going to be making that choice is if soemone else in their official capacity has already signed the appropriate paperwork about the persons mental condition.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Does anybody know the fate of his dog?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Calm down, Cops are our friends, if you didn't do any thing wrong, you have nothing to worry about, RIIIIIGHT!!!!

And the cop crowd wonders why we don't trust our beloved public servants.

I know why you don't trust cops, because your not willing to seperate the "wheat from the chalf", so to speak.  

Just because one agency or even one or two cops do the wrong things for the wrong reasons, does not mean all cops are bad anymore than all doctors are bad or all gun owners are bad.   Some agencies just don't get the same training as other agencies and suffer from crap like this.   There are even some agencies with really great training and really stupid officers.   \

A good example is the City of San Fransisco is now testing for Lt. positions wherein they gave a written and oral test.   The test results are not worth much as the new female Chinese police chief wants racial diversity in favor of someone who knows how to do the job.   If your a hispanic female in records and don't know shit from shinola about the streets or special operations, you will be promoted above the person who actually knows the difference.  And simply because of the color of their skin.   It is embarrassing to professional Peace Officers everywhere.  

Please don't lump all police officers into any one particular catagory becuase one agency does not have enough sense to know the law or how to interpret it.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We understand that it did not happen in Johns area. John was describing what is the procedure in his area and the general concept that officers routinely seize firearms from people who they believe are an imminent harm to themselves or others. John was also describing that for the weapons to be permanently retained, the case has to go in front of a judge. He is not claiming anything else.

I agree with the temporary seizure of the weapons based on the initial report of him being a harm to himself or others. Usually it doesn't drag on as long as it has in this case.

Oh, you agree.  There were no initial reports, there was only a tip by an "acquaintance".  

Nothing usual about this whole BS.  Read through the entire thread.  Sounds like politics involved.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I hope he wins his suit and the crappy city has to change their name to "The City of Mora"
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#33]

A copy of the police form provided by Fezell asks whether the person requesting the return of firearms is an alcoholic or drug addict and has ever attended 12-step meetings to deal with such problems.

Hmmm.  I suspect that the real reason for this fight is that he would have to answer "yes" to one or more of those questions, in which case he might not get his guns back.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Oh, you agree.  There were no initial reports, there was only a tip by an "acquaintance".  

The "tip" IS the initial report.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Stupid question, but if the police are taking him in to custody why do they even need to confiscate his guns in the first place?  

He's in custody and can't use them.  If he goes for a temporary committment and the judge determines he should not be committed then the police have absolutely no reason to keep his guns anyway.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
From what I get from this,  He gets the guns back when he signs for them,  but he's refusing because he does not like the form?

Why do I smell a whackjob?

He did NOTHING WRONG!!  

They stole his guns for no real reason then make him fill out a form (most likely obsolving them selfs of any wong doing) to get them back, thats bullshit.

And the form probably includes a list of every serial # from each gun.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'll answer some of the questions really quickly,  since I have to go to work.

This is obviously an involuntary mental commitment following a suicide threat.  You do not need a warrant to seize the guns.  A judge's order is the usual method.  They could also be given up voluntarily by a family member or the guy himself.

He didn't commit a crime, therefore he's not charged with one.

As for the paperwork,  He's not saying what he does not like, and the lawyer left that part out too.   Kind of worthless to speculate about it.  (why wait three years BTW?  Was he in an institution?)

Just for clarification,  if you came into my dept on this sort of case,  the paperwork would need your signature, Your verification of nomenclature and serial numbers we're giving back to you, and a statement you are the rightful owner.  You would also have to show ID.

This would happen on ANY property.  Not just guns.  Heck, if he threatened to kill himself with a cuisinart the process would be the same.

Where in any of that is a rights violation?

Man, talk about making assumptions and jumping to conclusions....

Remarkable, the way you aggressively twist the information and fill in the gaps with speculation and  pure fiction. Then you attack the victim.

You need therapy, not authority.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Remarkable, the way you aggressively twist the information and fill in the gaps with pure fiction. Then you attack the victim.

How exactly is he assuming or twisting anything?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Bookhound your asking alot!!!!
Next thing you know you will want back states rights, and us to recognize the bill of rights...
JEEEZZ
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#40]
From the information given in the articles, all he has to do is fill out the "APPLICATION", and he gets his stuff back!  OR they rubberstamp

APPLICATION DENIED!!!

On his form and he is screwed!  He shouldn't have to Apply to get his own property back!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The "tip" IS the initial report.

Give me a break.  You guys are all twisting and spinning trying to justify this bullshit.  A tip and a confirmed report are not hardly the same.

So, someone could give your department a "tip" that you are suicidal and they would do all this to you?  And you would be okay with it?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

This is obviously an involuntary mental commitment following a suicide threat.

What suicide threat? Show me a suicide threat. There isn't any information on whoever fingered him as a risk. There is no mention of a suicide threat. It's purely speculation.

(why wait three years BTW? Was he in an institution?)

This is a very negative question. The guy didn't wait three years, he sued after three years. Johnaustin intoduced the idea of him being institutionalized all by himself. Pure speculation. There was no mention of it in the article.

ETA: It's obvious that Johnaustin assumes the police were justified in doing this, and are justified in demanding that he APPLY to get his weapons back. He is trying to create a set of circumstances to validate his beliefs with speculation designed to put the victim in a bad light.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remarkable, the way you aggressively twist the information and fill in the gaps with pure fiction. Then you attack the victim.

He has stated a lot of things that are not in this report............that is how he is assuming and twisting things.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I have never seen the police draw down on an unarmed suicidal person.

I wonder if there is more to the story.  If not they need to return his stuff.

Probably a case of CYA.  The police don't want the liability if he does kill himself or others.

THey called SWAT on me. Because I have guns..... So ya, they do draw down on you....

Quoted:
snip
Just for clarification,  if you came into my dept on this sort of case,  the paperwork would need your signature, Your verification of nomenclature and serial numbers we're giving back to you, and a statement you are the rightful owner.  You would also have to show ID.

snip

What if the cops can't find the serial numbers on the guns, like my 870, 2 1911's, Colt 1903, AK, and S&W 36, or AR?

The only one they could find was on my Glock, and it isn't hard to find them on the other guns....

Getting them back wasn't 'hard' just involved, because the firearms were not where they were supposed to be, and then they tried to keep my ammo. That didn't fly......

ANd in my particular case, there was no report, no paperwork other than property reciepts, and they didn't even fill those out right.....
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Huh, Gaithersburg. A cesspool of socialism in a raging ocean of communism known as Montgomery County. Hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants, soccer moms, whacko-Kerry voters, and "conservative" Republicans who don't care about any conservative issue besides taxes. No way this guy is gonna get his guns back. Maryland is.....beyond description. What an injustice.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Usually it doesn't drag on as long as it has in this case.

That's because, usually, the person is a good little subject and applies to get their property back without so much as a whimper.

Unfortunately for the JBTs in this case they ran into a citizen who is aware of his God-given rights.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
A little more involved than that. Yes, someone can report your behavior. The officers then respond and decide if the person is in fact displaying some behavior that indicates they are a harm to themselves or others.The only time the officers aren't going to be making that choice is if soemone else in their official capacity has already signed the appropriate paperwork about the persons mental condition.

I went to the police academy in Missouri and we were never taught to do a mental evaluation interview at the point of a gun. It's kinda hard to properly judge a person's mental state when they are literally "under the gun."

So they didn't interview him to determine if he was in fact a mental case, and they didn't have a judge's order. So what do we have here? Oh yeah, a violation of the man's 4th, 5th and 2nd amendment rights by nanny-state JBTs.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I went to the police academy in Missouri and we were never taught to do a mental evaluation interview at the point of a gun. It's kinda hard to properly judge a person's mental state when they are literally "under the gun."

So they didn't interview him to determine if he was in fact a mental case, and they didn't have a judge's order. So what do we have here? Oh yeah, a violation of the man's 4th, 5th and 2nd amendment rights by nanny-state JBTs.

I wasn't commenting on the drawn gun part, but I have to believe that if the officers felt the need to draw their firearm, it was for good reason that is not detailed in the report. On THAT issue, its funny how some people here take some reports at faith and think any pertinent details are included, and then others they don't trust the mainstream media at all........
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
What suicide threat? Show me a suicide threat. There isn't any information on whoever fingered him as a risk. There is no mention of a suicide threat. It's purely speculation.

Who knows why that person thought he was a suicidal risk? Its not in the article. Its up to the responding officers to determine if the initial report has any validity.

ETA: It's obvious that Johnaustin assumes the police were justified in doing this, and are justified in demanding that he APPLY to get his weapons back. He is trying to create a set of circumstances to validate his beliefs with speculation designed to put the victim in a bad light.

They ARE justified in the  original seizure. The issue is the long-term retention of the firearms . Do not debate whether the officers were justified in their original seizure; they are. Keep to the issue as to the time frame involved.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who knows why that person thought he was a suicidal risk? Its not in the article. Its up to the responding officers to determine if the initial report has any validity.

They ARE justified in the  original seizure. The issue is the long-term retention of the firearms . Do not debate whether the officers were justified in their original seizure; they are. Keep to the issue as to the time frame involved.

Oh good grief.  How do you know that person who provided the "tip" didn't have some personal axe to grind?  None of what you say has been borne out in either quoted article.

You are correct in debating about whether the officers were justified, because they weren't, no matter how much you and john try to make it so.

This is total bullshit from the get go.  You never answered if they would be justified to do the same thing to you based on a bullshit "tip".
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top