Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Here's the best part:  

She orders it with a DIET COKE.

I only drink Diet Coke. I'm not on a diet.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Men are talking about their butts.  Gayest thread ever!

+1
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:44:24 AM EDT
[#3]
5 8", I was 169 this morning. Exercise regularly...like 4 times a week, sometimes 5. Run probably 9-12 miles a week in the HEAT here in socal. Weights like 3 times a week. Regular PT calisthenics 3 times a week. I maintain a pretty active lifestyle, and eat healthy. Quit smoking 6 yrs ago and eating fast food except for the occasional bacon cheese burger, but eat rabbit food for the most part; LOTS of fruit and veggies. I feel good and look 25 even though I'm 36 now (old fart).

As far as body image, if youre looking for something, youre gonna find it. I think I could loose another 10 pounds and look even better, in my own mind, but I figure as long as I've got womenz attention I figure what the hell, my efforts must be working. Especially when I look around and see other guys my age with HUGE guts and no hair, couldnt run around the block or lift a 5 pound dumbell without getting winded. And i STILL get down on myself soemtimes for carrying too much weight.

Oh yeah, I havea 34" in waist...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Body types are different.

I saw an Iron man athlete, for instance, who looked like your typical beer guzzling slob. Except his resting heart rate was in the 40s and he had endurance like you can't believe. But he was still fat.

Interesting point JW

As some of you know, I photograph triathlons for a living. (In fact, I'll be shooting the National Championship this weekend in KC with another board member)

I am endlessly amazed by the variety of body types that manage to finish triathlons. People have an image of "triathlete" in their mind based upon Gatorade commercials or may Ironman Hawaii broadcasts on TV. What they don't show is the "average" finisher.

Exactly. Someone can be in fantastic shape and still not look like a statue of a Greek God. I saw that althlete on a discovery channel special. They showed his diet and training regimen, and it makes Lance Armstrong look like a pansy.

But he is still fat and bald and hairy.

Working at a University, I frequently encounter students who are "in good shape" meaning they have pretty muscles, but they can't lift any significant weight, and they have no endurance. Evidence? We moved a bulk order of a couple of hundred PC's a couple of years ago into a makeshift storage area. We had about a dozen young, healthy college guys helping.

A large (meaning fat) black woman who was a mother of 4 could out-lift them. Four of the young "healthy" ones dropped from heat stroke while she never missed a beat.

Some of the suckers were just plain lazy, but a good many of them just were genuinely not able to keep up. Some, despite having washboard stomachs, couldn't even keep up with the normal college girls who were helping with the move.

You should see the look of amazement on their faces when they see me, a guy they think is fat and who is far older than they are, out lift, out hussle, and out-endure them. My muscles ain't pretty, but they are used to working for a living.

Some of these kids were even athletes. (Cross country, etc...)

What someone looks like is NOT necessarily an indication of their diet, exercise, strength or stamina.

If someone weighs 250 pounds and can do 10 pushups, they have more strength and stamina than a good 70% of the population, no matter what they look like.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hm, I didn't know caffeine caused one to gain weight?  .

It doesn't.  Just the opposite, actually.

Good.  My coffee habit is secure.    Now if I could give up beer (generally 10-20 beers per week) I would be a lean, mean fighting machine.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:30:12 AM EDT
[#6]
the world's strongest men usually look very bulky but not cut like a body builder, being very lean doesnt necessarily mean your in better condition.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:44:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I got some advice for all, don't give up on the battle of the bulge, win the war.
I have gained and lost weight more than I care to think about.  
I was 230 at one point at 5' 7". I am muscular so the BMI things are way off.
I won't do diets, what is working for me is a little exercise and no bad snacks between meals and portion control. These are two biggies. I have a normal breakfast(cearal, toast et..). Than for the workday I take two protein or energy bars, get ones that you like and I eat those at 0930 and 100.
This holds me over for dinner, which is of normal portions.
I have lost about 13 pounds on this way of life. I am down to 199, I hope to keep it up(exercise), I didn't give up don't any of you.

Perry
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I was a 'husky' kid up until age 13-14.  Then some how i got taller and lost some weight.  Now i eat alot of the right foods and go to the gym 4 days a week.  I am 6'0 and 172.  I can not get past 175 no matter what i do.  I work my ass off everyday and i sweat everything off.  Hell i think having a job that works you is the best thing for you.  I run my own business and deal with bullshit everyday and my blood pressure is still 102/78.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I can't eat much in one sitting, Im constantly having small snacks in the day, other wise I get down right fragged for energy.

I don't seem to have any weight issues... right now I just eat enough to take the hunger off and keep me going.  I avoid stuffing myself to the gills... ain't got the time or the want to lay around waiting for the pain to go away
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#10]
6'4"   150 lbs

w00t!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Body Mass Index Calculator

Check out your BMI for yourself. Courtesy of CDC.

For the mathematically challenged, a pound of fat contains 3500 calories. Eliminate 500 calories a day from your diet and you'll lose a pound a week.  Excercise on top of that, you'll lose more.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

For the mathematically challenged, a pound of fat contains 3500 calories. Eliminate 500 calories a day from your diet and you'll lose a pound a week.  Excercise on top of that, you'll lose more.  

23.7 for 6'5 @ 200 lbs

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Why bother? According to that thing, Tom Cruise is obese.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why bother? According to that thing, Tom Cruise is obese.  

That sounds like something a fat man would say.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

See, I dont like those.

It puts me at a 24.4 for 6'1, 185#.

BARELY under "overweight" and barely in "Normal" and I'm *nowhere* near overweight, whatsoever.
Things are stupid and ungodly inaccurate.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Never really thought about it.

Can you see your belt without sucking in your gut? If yes, then no problemo.

(If no then dump sugary & fat-laden processed foods - there is a reason why obesity is on the rise)
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, look at it this way, how many FAT 80 year olds do you see?

Not many.

BMI is a guide, obviously personal differences come into play.  But because it's a guide, doesn't mean there's no truth to what it's telling you.

Jack(Ineedtoshedafewpoundsmyself)19
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, Since the USMC says that I am 10 - 15 lbs too heavy to leave for boot just yet, it is very hard to lose the weight.  I am Exercising almost every day, eating nothing but salad and tuna - and still I can't seem to get down below the 215 mark(I need to be 205 to ship).  I am 69 1/2 in tall and think I need to go get stretched because I don't think it will ever come off.  I have given up the beer and all junk food, but no luck.  I think that I am being unrealistic because of the fact that I am not skinny enough for the corps, but then I look around at the majority of other people walking around and I feel a little better.

Pat

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Well, Since the USMC says that I am 10 - 15 lbs too heavy to leave for boot just yet, it is very hard to lose the weight.  I am Exercising almost every day, eating nothing but salad and tuna - and still I can't seem to get down below the 215 mark(I need to be 205 to ship).  I am 69 1/2 in tall and think I need to go get stretched because I don't think it will ever come off.  I have given up the beer and all junk food, but no luck.  I think that I am being unrealistic because of the fact that I am not skinny enough for the corps, but then I look around at the majority of other people walking around and I feel a little better.

Pat

What is your PFT score?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Pat

beer will do it, that's for sure - start reading the labels, pounding water & exercising - talk to a nutritionist (so you don't fuck up your system by eliminating too much of any one thing) - pay attention to the little shit (condiments etc) beyond that it's a simple question of calories in vs. calories out.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:34:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Pat

try the Army
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:57:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pat

try the Army

Nah...stick with the Marines...he'll need that extra weight in the corps: if SOME of the jar heads on ARFCOM <cough> zitiforbreakfast <cough> are any indication,  it'll help him carry around that Marine-sized ego....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:05:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's the best part:  

What's wrong with people like that?    Do you think the diet coke is really going to help when
you just ordered a meal that would cause your cardiologist to cough up a lung?

Some people prefer the taste of Diet Coke over regular Coke.

A tough concept, I know.

Not a tough concept...regular coke is WAY too sweet.  I prefer Diet Coke. It's a crisper and cleaner taste.  It's not even the calorie content, it's just that coke is just sicky, syrupy sweet.

And don't even get me started on the "SWEET TEA" you southerners drink.  That stuff is just disgusting.

Talk about adding another 300 empty calories to your meal.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's the best part:  

What's wrong with people like that?    Do you think the diet coke is really going to help when
you just ordered a meal that would cause your cardiologist to cough up a lung?

Some people prefer the taste of Diet Coke over regular Coke.

A tough concept, I know.

i was about to say the same thing...  i was raised on diet sodas, so i prefer them over regular.  i'm also one of the only people i know of that will drink club soda by the gallon...

anyways, as far as the weight thing goes, i've dropped ~25 pounds in the last 11 weeks.  excercise makes all the difference
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Not a tough concept...regular coke is WAY too sweet.  I prefer Diet Coke. It's a crisper and cleaner taste.  It's not even the calorie content, it's just that coke is just sicky, syrupy sweet.

Don't need to tell me, I'm with you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Its alright, I just got back from PT today at my recruiter's and I am down to 211 so I only have 6 lbs to go to hit my 10% waiver.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm now under 190!   20 pounds down in a bit less than two months!

I eat nearly nothing and don't miss it.   And I'm physically very active.

This means that my metabolism has switched over to the fat reserves as a major energy source,
and it won't be too much longer before I start depleting them.    At that point,  I will have to
start ramping up my food intake, but very carefully,  so that I don't trigger the famine reflex
and start piling on every extra ounce I eat.

CJ

Hope you don;t miss any muscle mass you used to have.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm glad you're feeling better about your self image, but I've often noticed (myself included) that when actively making an effort to lose fat, there always seems to be a need to pick on the "fat people". I have been on both extremes and, yes, I'm overweight right now. Am I happy about it? No. Am I ready to make efforts to diet and exercise more? No. Why? Don't give a shit at the moment, and it's too fu*kin' hot outside for a fatman to be jogging!  I'm 5'-10", 235 with a 38" waist. I had a stress test at the doctor's office and he told me to go eat a steak afterwards. I am well aware I'm overweight, but it pisses me off the some assholes still feel the need to make me aware of my condition.I'll make a change soon enough, as the dog days' of August give over to the milder days of fall. But right now, I'm enjoying a second helping. Enjoy your carrot sticks!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I'm not worried in the slightest about muscle mass.   I have some to spare,  and I work out
aggressively but give myself plenty of time to recover.  I am getting stronger all the time, and will continue to do so.

I would not object to losing a little muscle mass in the process of achieving the body fat percentage
that looks right to me.  And then I can rebuild muscle mass with the right diet to fuel my program.

No worries.  

CJ

Better not be the one you are on now. No breakfast?? WTF?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Look,  I haven't eaten breakfast on a regular basis in YEARS.    If I do eat breakfast,  it literally doesn't do me any good at all.    In fact,  I'm so NOT used to eating breakfast that it can make me nauseous.

It also kickstarts my appetite, and on a day where I'd normally eat the equivalent of ONE decent meal
in the minds of most people,  I'll eat three full meals instead.   And that's just wrong for me.  

I maintain my weight  on  the equivalent of one largish TV dinner per day.    I have no need to eat
more and no desire to.     I have plenty of energy and everything works well.

I think my stomach capacity is not what it used to be, either.   I get full much more quickly than
I did when I was in my 20s, when I could really pack it away.

My energy level is high, too.   I need just the usual amount of sleep,  work out hard,   and get
a lot more hard work as a result of my job.  

I manage this on quite a bit less than most people do.

I've grown used to always being just a little bit hungry, and there are those who believe that
this is the best way to be from a health standpoint.

I don't even eat until I feel full.   I stop eating while I'm still hungry but judge myself to have
had enough.      And I do end up feeling quite satisfied about 20 minutes after I stop eating,
and this is because your full sensor doesn't work instantly.    It takes some time to kick in.
I anticipate it,   and never feel bloated after a meal anymore.

I never eat desserts and it's been almost a month since I last had ANY snacks after dinner.

I skip dinner about two days a week, or more.

This works well for me.   You might starve on what satisfies me, though.

To each his own.   Do like I have, and find a pattern that works for you.

CJ

Yeah thats fine. I'm glad you are doing something about your obesity.  I would reccomend if you hit a wall to see a dietitian though.

Later!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#36]
cmj,
I'm in the minority with you.  One of those freaks that doesn't eat/like breakfast.  Also been that way for years.  Will occasionally take something in but lunch is my first meal for the most part unless you count coffee.

I will also add that I've heard from more than one source....including my own doc that the BMI is not all that accurate and is generally meant as a benchmark for some type of person out there.  It doesn't read in my favor but my doc tells me I am in tip top shape and nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I have no illusions:

I AM A DISGUSTING FAT BODY!

but thats cool
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I'm not much interested in BMI or even body fat percentage, either.

When I can see my six pack and everything else is well defined,  then I'll know that my body fat
percentage is what I want it to be.

CJ

If that is your goal i reccomend you see a dietitian now when your motivation is high.

Its easy to lose when you have much to lose.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a 34 inch waist...and I damn sure ain't fat.

How tiny are you to be overweight with a 34 inch waist?

No shit.  He said he was 6 feet tall...a 34 inch waist is about right.  And at 6 feet tall and 192...unless you're a string bean, that's not heavy at all.  

I am 6'1" weigh 230 lbs and have a 32 waist. I have worn 32 waist pants since mt Jr. year of high school.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:21:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a 34 inch waist...and I damn sure ain't fat.

How tiny are you to be overweight with a 34 inch waist?

No shit.  He said he was 6 feet tall...a 34 inch waist is about right.  And at 6 feet tall and 192...unless you're a string bean, that's not heavy at all.  

I am 6'1" weigh 230 lbs and have a 32 waist. I have worn 32 waist pants since mt Jr. year of high school.

Just because you wear a 32 does not man you have a 32 inch waist
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#42]
i drink most everyday, and eat lots of mexican, and fried goodness
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top