Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:37:27 AM EDT
[#1]
no.....they're actually good for you.  its just a ploy by people who are jealous of the $ top cigar CEOs are making.

of course they're bad.  how bad?  that depends on many factors, possibly including genetics.  maybe they're 'neutral' - either way, they arent GOOD.  so if its neutral, i guess the quesiton becomes if the enjoyment outweighs using that saved up $ over years on something cool.  like a new gun.

but of course, thats logic in my eyes which will be riduculed by a smoker somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:41:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

then sell the rest to my brother

wow, what a guy.

I fail to see what is wrong with that.

Were they gifted to you? "I got 12 from work...." Did work sell them to you?

No, they were given to me. Does it matter? I give my brother money for things I want, and he'll give me money if I take him shooting or something. It's a mutual agreement, I see no problem there.

there is no problem.  someones just being a bitch.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've tried expensive cigars & cheap cigars.

I would say cheap cigars = bad.

Pffft. I like my  Romeo y Julietas and Cohibas as much as the next man, but I also like the big-ass bundles of cheap dog rockets one gets from CI or JRC. Just have to start the bourbon early when smoking a cheapie

the cheapies serve me well here simply because I rarely get the time to finish one.... much rather leave a $1.25 sticck half done than a $6 one...... the good ones are my occasional indulgance.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:50:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I suppose both have a bit of truth in them.

Never really cared enough to know.

Don't like cigars unless I'm playing poker.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:00:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not just a few. It would be just like saying having a drink on occasions will give you liver cancer.

Relax.

Or going out in the sun every once in a while will give you skin cancer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:34:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've tried expensive cigars & cheap cigars.

I would say cheap cigars = bad.

Pffft. I like my  Romeo y Julietas and Cohibas as much as the next man, but I also like the big-ass bundles of cheap dog rockets one gets from CI or JRC. Just have to start the bourbon early when smoking a cheapie

the cheapies serve me well here simply because I rarely get the time to finish one.... much rather leave a $1.25 sticck half done than a $6 one...... the good ones are my occasional indulgance.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:38:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow, what a guy.

No, they were given to me. Does it matter? I give my brother money for things I want, and he'll give me money if I take him shooting or something. It's a mutual agreement, I see no problem there.

Since I am feeling like such a b!tch right now:

Once again, 1st team member to tell me why 1916 is so important and banded on Carlos Torano cigars, gets a 5 pack sampler.

Hurry, I am sending others out today, and I want to get this out to you.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:45:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow, what a guy.

Once again, 1st team member to tell me why 1916 is so important and banded on Carlos Torano cigars, gets a 5 pack sampler.

In 1916 Don Santiago Toraño emigrated from Spain to Cuba.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Ding Ding!

Please IM your snailer and I got a fiver coming to you!

Chris

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ding Ding!

Chris

Thanks Chris.  I appreciate it.  Just got off work and this was a nice way to end the day.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:04:18 AM EDT
[#11]
uh, duh.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ding Ding!

Chris

Thanks Chris.  I appreciate it.  Just got off work and this was a nice way to end the day.

Here you go: 01038555749446346059

Give it a day or two to make it out there. Enjoy the sticks!

Chris

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Cigars deliver nicotine very efficiently by direct absorption thru the mucosal tissues of the mouth and throat.  They can be very addictive for this reason.  Also, even non-inhalers will breathe some smoke.

Exposure to any potential carcinogen will increase cancer odds.  There is a genetic factor that will make it even more likely if you are predisposed, and less likely if you are not.  

Oral cancer, and head and neck cancer, are deadly, and treatment commonly includes all three modalities, surgery, radiation, and chemo in some combination.

There is no safe cigar, but having said that, I indulge occasionally myself.  All of life is risky to some extent, and I personally think my risk with maybe 6 to 12 a year is minimal.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

those are good smokes
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I couldnt load him down with that many Torano's, but he has a La Rosa ESP (havana harvest) coming covered with Bloom
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Speaking of Carlos Torano Cameroons.. this place has them for a really great price:
www.cheapercigars.com/carlos_cameroon_1916.html
I just ordered a few 5 packs, since they were out of boxes.

TORPEDO'S 6.5 x 54
$15.50/5 PACK
$75.00/25 BOX
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:19:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Speaking of Carlos Torano Cameroons.. this place has them for a really great price:

TORPEDO'S 6.5 x 54
$15.50/5 PACK
$75.00/25 BOX

$3 apiece, not bad at all.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#18]
The Exodus line they make are the bomb!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The Exodus line they make are the bomb!

I thought last time I asked, no one had anything special to say about them....  maybe I will call and try to add to my order.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Hit me up, I mod eherf.com, have plenty of answers for youv
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Man ZitiForBreakfast I missed it again.. Well I guess thats what I get for working...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Man ZitiForBreakfast I missed it again.. Well I guess thats what I get for working...

send me your work sched, I will coincide my next give away with it
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

TORPEDO'S 6.5 x 54
$15.50/5 PACK
$75.00/25 BOX

I'm a little pissed with them right now.  I ordered a box of Padrons and it took 10 days to get from them (in California) to me (in Oregon).  They shipped them Parcel Post although their web site says UPS or Priority Mail.  

Their prices are great though so I may spring for the extra 2-day shipping charge if I give 'em a try again.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Hit me up, I mod eherf.com, have plenty of answers for youv

What handle do you use over there?  I just signed on a couple of weeks ago.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

TORPEDO'S 6.5 x 54
$15.50/5 PACK
$75.00/25 BOX

Those are very good. Another good one I tried lately is Indian Tabac "Super Fuerte"
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#26]
"Disciple"
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#27]
i have smoked cigars for nearly 10 years ...about 1-3 a week...never even had respiratory problems related...there was a study done the CDC years ago when they first attributed cancer to cigarettes...and it forced tobacco (cigarettes) to put the health warning on ...but at first cigars were exempt...and they were added later as a way to  not discriminate against the cigarette companies...to my knowledge there is no info linking cancer to tobacco alone by itself w/o all the chemicals...cigars are made from pesticide free non-chemically treated tobacco...the chemicals in cigarettes are what are the carcinogens...not the tobacco...FWIW ..i will try to find the report in which the CDC recinded it's claim against cigars but refused to remove the health warning...now..it's back to my dewar's cigar blend and my cuban montecristo #2...cheers..chris
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TORPEDO'S 6.5 x 54
$15.50/5 PACK
$75.00/25 BOX

Those are very good. Another good one I tried lately is Indian Tabac "Super Fuerte"

Those ITSF (Toro Maddies) are some of my all time fav's. Have you had any RP Vintage's as of yet? Though a different blend and age, etc..if you like the IT's, you will LOVE the RP's
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I couldnt load him down with that many Torano's, but he has a La Rosa ESP (havana harvest) coming covered with Bloom

And a handful of other excellent smokes.  I made out like a bandit!

You da man Chris!  I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FYI

www.designaffect.com/srada/bfail2.html

That page starts out by quoting an article by Evan J. Elkin.  It's interesting to note that they do not provide a link to Elkin's article but they do give a link to the piece that they offer as counterpoint - "The Consumers Union Report on Licit and Illicit Drugs" by Edward M. Brecher and the Editors of Consumer Reports Magazine, 1972.  I found Elkin's article after a few seconds with Google.  Here's a link - www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Archives/CA_Show_Article/0,2322,747,00.html.

The page you provided refers to quotes from Elkin's article as "that little promotion for smoking" while the Consumer Reports piece is comprised of "facts."  Sounds like a little bit of bias there.  

If you read Elkin's article, you'll see that he uses facts also.  The passages being dissed as "promotions for smoking"are quotes from Dr. Freud.  Elkin provides factual quotes from Freud.  He doesn't represent Freud's opinions as facts.  

A few points provided by your link:
Freud smoked approximately 20 cigars each day.
Freud developed his mouth cancers at age 67 in 1923.
Freud died at age 83 in 1939.

Twenty cigars every day is not moderate consumption.  Anything done in excess does not contribute to good health.  Even with that overindulgence, Freud lived to age 83 which is not an early death - especially when you consider the average life expectancy of people back in the 1930s.  

So.... I guess we can learn a lesson from Dr. Freud's excess:  All things in moderation - don't smoke twenty cigars a day.  

I smoke one a day. At work. Always a churchill. The bigger the better. Smoked 4 in one day once. Couldn't taste anything for 24 hours. Spat alot too.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top