Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#1]
so getting our warfighters the best possible ttraining that they can, allowing them to bring this knowlege back to their unit and spread amongst the ranks is a bad thing now?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#3]
IBTL
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The apocalypse must be nigh because I actually see the point sarge was trying to make and I kind of agree with it.

Just not the stupid way he said it.

Tax money is money the people were forced to entrust to the government for public need.

If its not needed it should be returned.

Man... the only way this thread could meltdown anymore is with a ballpine hammer argument over the concept of federalism with macallan.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Doorgunner,

Good luck in the class. You'll love Phx, you'll love Dillon's place. I hope you get to meet Mike himself. He's a wonderful person. All the guys at Dillons are great. Say hello to Jeff, Dave and Jason for me.

Get a chance to visit the store front while you are there. Bring $$$ cause you will see things that you cannot possibly live without. I manage to spend about $100 everytime I open the door.

While I've not been to the minigun course, but I've had the chance to shoot some of the production models. It was beyond way cool. See if your instuctor will get you back to Mike's hanger. You'll get to see his Hughes 500, Huey and he had a Citation or a G last time I was there.

Awesome time.

Don't worry about what the others say bad about mil budgets. They have probably never spent a day in the military in their lives. They have no idea of things you've gone without and training that have been declined throughout the year to save a buck here and there. I bet they've never eaten C-Rats for 10 days in a row, 3 times a day because your food budget got confused somehow and the mess was shut down. C-Rats every now and then are okay. 30 meals in a row = The Big Suck.

Good luck to ya!

Hey, American Spirit is just around the corner, other side of the airpark there.

Hook up with some AZ members if ya can. They'll show you a good time in your down time.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The apocalypse must be nigh because I actually see the point sarge was trying to make and I kind of agree with it.

Well maybe I shouldn't have used the word "wasted" since no training is wasted training.

I am just wondering why this money all of a sudden needs to be spent so damn fast.

I support the military, but there is no reason to pay more for something when you don't have too.

Next year they will get even more money but I doubt the training will go up any.  Isn't THAT the real problem here?

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Look...

This isn't unneeded money.  It's unused money.  I submitted a request to use some of the cash that was set aside for training throughout the year.  It got approved because we've got money left over for the year.  I don't know why... maybe the PJ's didn't request all the medical courses they thought they would over the last year.  Maybe somebody washed-out of another school.  Maybe the last TDY was under-budget.  Why not use that left-over money for valuable training that OUR unit can use instead of turning it back over to the DoD so it can be used someplace else...  Like replacing stolen tools.  Why is that concept so hard to grasp?

~Dg84

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Criminy,

With the kind of logic SgtAr is using, then you guys shouldn't use any of your budget for training and turn it back in to the taxpayers.

For those of you who haven't done this, it kind of works like this.  There's a budget for the amount of training a unit is allowed to take in a given year.  The unit is encouraged to take that amount of training.  Sometimes, it's very hard to send people to training for some of the months in which that money should have been spent due to either the optempo of other operations or due to other training, for instance unit training.  In other words, training lagged for those months due to other things going on, so they need to catch up.

In other years, a unit might take a massive training exercise that takes almost the entire budget in one swell foop.  I know of at least one unit whose commander bought supplies for one field exercise on his credit card in order to accomplish training.

Obviously doorgunner84 is in an aviation unit and getting advanced armorer courses makes perfectly good sense.  Not sending him to training just to avoid spending money doesn't make sense.  That would be the equivalent of saying, "The DFAO, in its glorious wisdom, gave us this money to train, but if we don't train, then we'll have the money at the end of the year and think of what that'll do for the budget."

And I've read you guys' posts, but I just disagree.  I was in the Army for 10 years and more often than not, I couldn't get to training I needed, not because of lack of budget but because I couldn't be away for the three weeks it took, etc.  Most units with training budget left over at the end of the year are not training their soldiers sufficiently.

I don't see as how doorgunner's training is any less important than me getting to go to PLDC.  It's just that his is a whole lot cooler than taking a class to learn how to be a Sergeant.

And that's just my 2 cents.  I'll now return you to your regularly scheduled train wreck.

As far as the screwdrivers and wrenches go, don't you think just maybe, DFAO changed the rules at some point in the last 30 to 40 years?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well maybe I shouldn't have used the word "wasted" since no training is wasted training.

I am just wondering why this money all of a sudden needs to be spent so damn fast.

I support the military, but there is no reason to pay more for something when you don't have too.

Next year they will get even more money but I doubt the training will go up any.  Isn't THAT the real problem here?

Sgat1r5

Wrong... We won't get more money.  We probably won't even get close to what we ask for the year.  The reason we've got left over money is because we are not able to spent it thoughout the year in fear of running out.

~Dg84
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Doorgunner,

Good luck in the class. You'll love Phx, you'll love Dillon's place. I hope you get to meet Mike himself. He's a wonderful person. All the guys at Dillons are great. Say hello to Jeff, Dave and Jason for me.

Get a chance to visit the store front while you are there. Bring $$$ cause you will see things that you cannot possibly live without. I manage to spend about $100 everytime I open the door.

While I've not been to the minigun course, but I've had the chance to shoot some of the production models. It was beyond way cool. See if your instuctor will get you back to Mike's hanger. You'll get to see his Hughes 500, Huey and he had a Citation or a G last time I was there.

Awesome time.

Don't worry about what the others say bad about mil budgets. They have probably never spent a day in the military in their lives. They have no idea of things you've gone without and training that have been declined throughout the year to save a buck here and there. I bet they've never eaten C-Rats for 10 days in a row, 3 times a day because your food budget got confused somehow and the mess was shut down. C-Rats every now and then are okay. 30 meals in a row = The Big Suck.

Good luck to ya!

Hey, American Spirit is just around the corner, other side of the airpark there.

Hook up with some AZ members if ya can. They'll show you a good time in your down time.

Thanks for the intel... I can't wait to go!
~Dg84
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:34:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Because on 1 OCT, the ledger goes back to zero.  If they take advantage of this point in time to train their soldiers, they can train even more soldiers in the next fiscal year, thus multiplying the training.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#12]
TAG
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Author's request.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top