Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:20:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Can anybody tell me how long a pig will be for it's weight?  I'm planning a pig roast in early Sept. and the size of the cooker I can get will determine the max size of the pig.  I'm thinking 40-65 lbs or so.

Thanks,

Merlin

Merlin it all depends on the temperature

There's a lot of sites out there with the info on. I'll have a look for you and then I'll tell you what we did.

I got to scamper for a while....bbl

Cheers

Taffy

I don't know what temperature has to do with it.

This is what I get for posting at work: I'm not clear enough and I end wasting people's time.

Clarification:  I'm going to rent a BBQ from the local Army base MWR.  It has a certain max cooking dimensions, of primary interest to me is the length, which is unknown, but I will find out by the end of this week.  That length will determine the longest pig I can cook.  

However, you order pig by the weight, not by length.  Therefore, what I'll need to know is:  If I have XX cooking surface length, what is the YY max size pig, in weight, I can cook on it?

I hope this clarifies things.

Thanks,

Merlin

Sorry mate I thought you meant how long cooking?...not how long physicaly

Taffy

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:06:56 AM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Mmmmmmmm roasted pig! how Would really like to know how to tho. But here,  it seems to be easier to just buy one fully roasted than cook one yourself.  Its readily available to us here.

Nice post by the way ... makes me very hungry.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I used to do a pig in the ground every 4th of July when I lived in Montana.

I dug an 8x8x8 foot pit and filled it with wood. Lit it off and let it burn down to coals.

We took the biggest sow we could get, gutted it, and cleaned it up. Then I took a couple of turkeys and stuffed in the pig. Then I filled in the holes with brookies.

You then wrap the pig in wet burlap bags, the wrap that in chicken wire. Shovel a layer of dirt onto the coals and insert pig bundle. Cover the whole thing up with dirt.

Let it cook for about 2 to 2 1/2 kegs.....thats about 12 to 14 hours for you flatlanders.

Dig it up, hose it off with clean water, and open up the bundle.

I did this several years running.....never had any complaints......of course everybody was really drunk and hungry by the time it was done.

I'd do it again with a beeve or Elk, stuffed with a pig, stuffed with turkeys, stuffed with brookies...

I do hire out for this sort of thing....

I'm very interested in doing something like this....

How long did you have to burn the wood to get it to coals?
What's a brookie?
what are burlap bags?
What's a keg?..

Sorry for a ll the questions but us Brits don't translate well

When you cook a pig this way do you still get a crisp outer skin?/crackling?

i can only answer a couple questions...

the burlap bags are like a huge heavy open weave canvas bag that you might get potatoes or other veggies transported from the farm.

the keg is a keg of beer.

the rest is up to the experts here!

I think a brookie is a brook trout (fish).
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Sorry mate I thought you meant how long cooking?...not how long physicaly

Taffy

No problem at all, like I said, I hate posting at work, trying to get it in 'fore the boss gets around .... like now.....

Thanks,

Merlin
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top