User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I spent three years on the Nimitz with RVAH-6, The Smokers as we were known, as a photographers mate. I loaded all the cameras up before flight and unloaded them upon return. The hard points were used for infer-red lights when doing night flights. We also had a pan camera that shot horizon to horizon. Very nice photos came out of that one. I cannot tell you how many times I have crawled the length of the center tube just to check my circut breakers. I was there when RVAH-6 decommissioned and was transfered to RVAH-7 until they shipped me off someplace else. This was from 1977-80 in Key West Florida on the Bocha Chica Navel Air Base.
Any questions on the aircraft?
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#3]
It's been NAS Key West since 1940.  

Now it's Naval Air Facility Key West, Boca Chica Field, part of the Key West Naval Station Annex.

Quoted:
Key West Florida on the Bocha Chica Navel Air Base.

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#4]
That's the place. Mind you it has been 20 years or more since I was there so I may very well have mis-stated myself.
Besides that, I had a very intimate relationship with the bar owners there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Found two new photos:

Link Posted: 7/24/2005 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Beautiful pics! Thanks a bunch. Damn, that is one sexy bird...... Imagine F-22 engines in that airframe........
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#7]
The Vigilante is one of my all-time favorite USN aircraft & probably the most beautiful aircraft to operate off a carrier.  It's too bad we have such boring aircraft on the decks now especially since the F-14 is flying on vapors.

Actually all you would need would be a pair of P&W F100-229/232's or GE F110-129/132's plus new avionics, an AESA radar, a designator pod, and conformal bomb carriage for JDAMs and SDBs to turn the "Vigi" back into a world-beater especially since the strike mission has gone back to mid-high elevation.

It would give the USN a real long-range strike platform again vs. the huge & marginal compromise currently in service.

BTW, great Vigi pics!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Sexy plane. Heard it was an absolute bitch to fly it from a carrier.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top