Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Also check out Glory Road. It's one of my all time favorites, and nobody every seems to mention it.
For me it's right behind Starship Troopers and right before Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

I loved Glory Road.  And Citizen of the Galaxy.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Does anybody else have other Heinlein books to recommend?

His "future history" collection of short stories, The Past Through Tomorrow, is fundamental to a lot of his hother stories, including the Lazarus Long series.

His short story, "Gulf", collected in Assignment in Eternity, is one of my favorites.  The solitaire encrypted-message "game" that they played has since been turned into a real-world system (also used in Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, with the algorithm fully explained in an appendix).  It's not as fast or convenient as in Heinlein's story, unfortunately, but then again it couldn't be if it were meant to be secure.

Expanded Universe is also a good read.  Many previously-unpublished or generally-unavailable stories got put in there, including a Heinlein article, "Spin-off", originally written for "Omni" magazine in which he described his treatment for a clogged artery, most of the techniques and equipment for which came from the space program.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Which of his works have incest in them?

Most of them.

Aaaaaaaaaaaagh.  Most of Heinlein's books were written for JUVENILES.  Specifically, male juveniles, during the 1950's and early 1960's.  They don't even mention SEX, much less incest, and usually treat girls as some sort of mystery to become interested in later.

Quoted:
Brasspile,

"Any fresh suggestions to broaden my mind?"

On the more intellectual, but still very readable end, I recently enjoyed NecrCRYPTonomicon by Neal Stephenson, and Pattern Recognition by William GipsonGIBSON.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH.  Fixed them for you.
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"Friday" is looking odd so far.  Starts out with killing and gang rape.  

I think I will like this one.

I just finished it, it jumps around a lot but is an overall good book
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 1:04:47 AM EDT
[#6]
IMHO you can divide Heinlein's writings into two periods: before Time Enough for Love, and TEFL and after.

After publishing TEFL, there was a long break in his writing career.  In the "Omni" article I mentioned above, he wrote that he just couldn't think for a long time.  Eventually he had a TIA, and was diagnosed with a serious blockage in an artery leading to his brain, reducing blood flow and impairing his thinking.

IMHO, he suffered from some neurological damage as a result of this long-term bloodflow reduction.  His later novels are much less coherent and he threw in a lot of gratuitous perverse sexual stuff as some have noted.

Others are free to disagree with me on this, and many do.  I loved his earlier novels, but his later stuff just isn't up to snuff and makes me feel a little ill.  It's not a morality thing;  I have nothing against sex scenes, even kinky or twisted stuff, but he just couldn't write well any longer, and I find the sexual stuff he wrote to be rather gross.
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 2:11:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 2:12:17 AM EDT
[#8]
IIRC he has 32 books I have read them all multiple times
I would suggest starting off with:
Tunnel in the Sky
Citizen of the Galaxy
Glory Road
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Starman Jones
Menace From Earth
6XH

If you liked Have Space Suit Will Travel you will probably like all those too

Stranger in a strange land was okay but I was suprised that his most
famous book was one of his worst as far as I was concerned(YMMV)
and yeah, I think he was trying to say something about religion
IIRC most of his books follow the "religion is the opiate of the masses" philosophy

Methuselas Children has a lot of Lazarus in it
there is also a book of nothing but his sayings
(slightly suitable for framing)
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 3:17:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 6:37:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Brasspile,

"Any fresh suggestions to broaden my mind?"

- For something that won't do anything to broaden your mind, but is VERY entertaining, try Peter Hamilton's "Naked God" series. It's nearly three thousand pages long, but it's space opera at it's best. This one also features "souls", but in a non-religous/Christian sense, for a little bit of an intellectual teaser. Lots of sex, but it's with sex objects of the legal, female, OF AGE AND NOT a relative category!
On the more intellectual, but still very readable end, I recently enjoyed Necronomicon by Neal Stephenson, and Pattern Recognition by William Gipson.
Both of these were chock full of those "AHA" moments where you have to sit back for a second and digest what you've just read.

Oh and yes, he wasn't just trying.. he did ... draw a parallel to Jesus.

Ah yes....the "Neutronium Alchemest."

Excellent read...long..but diff to put down.
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
His point in the other books is that if you can avoid the genetic issues that arise from inbreeding (incest) then there is a lot to be said for the concept, line breeding is commonly used to preserve favorable traits in domesticated species, and it is a valid way to strengthen our own once the genetic issues are identified and eliminated, social mores notwithstanding.  A lot of diseases and other weaknesses could be bred out of the population if a proper breeding program was instituted

A shade off topic, but I'd bet money that the social mores grew out of the desire to avoid the genetic difficulties.
It isn't very often that humanity as a whole puts limits on f-cking.
If they could, there'd be a lot fewer social problems.
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Not a hijack, but if you like Heinlein, you will love Spider Robinson.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 1:13:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Job: A Comedy of Justice"  is one of my favorites, but I've read all of his books. RAH is definitely one of my favorite authors.

not at www.audible.com

Browse through their selections and let me know some good ones.  Doesn't have to be RAH

I have:
Starship Troopers
Stranger in a Strange Land
Friday
Have Spacesuit, Will Travel

and

Atlas Shrugged

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (the whole series in paper form, also).

Any fresh suggestions to broaden my mind?

Anything by James Mitchner (spelling)

Hawaii would be a good start then Texas.  Great story teller
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 1:30:07 AM EDT
[#14]
[

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Job: A Comedy of Justice"  is one of my favorites, but I've read all of his books. RAH is definitely one of my favorite authors.

not at www.audible.com

Browse through their selections and let me know some good ones.  Doesn't have to be RAH

I have:
Starship Troopers
Stranger in a Strange Land
Friday
Have Spacesuit, Will Travel

and

Atlas Shrugged

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (the whole series in paper form, also).

Any fresh suggestions to broaden my mind?

If you liked Heinlein, then give Joe Haldeman a try.  The Forever Wars is pretty good.

If you like Adams, give his Dirk Gently books a shot.  Just as good and even more esoteric.
Also give Terry Pratchett's books a shot.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 1:49:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If you like Adams, give his Dirk Gently books a shot.  Just as good and even more esoteric.

Long Dark Tea Time Of The Soul and
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
"Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."

forgot a Heinlein, Waldo & Magic, Inc.

a couple by Robert Asprin
The Bug Wars
The Cold Cash War

you might also try some Steven Brust, try to get them in order
some of the "The Stainless Steel Rat" are good

and of course THE Classic "Armor" by John Steakley
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Not a hijack, but if you like Heinlein, you will love Spider Robinson.  

Robinson was friends with Heinlein.  Back in the days when Robinson was just starting out, and was a starving hippie up in Canada, he somehow got in contact with Heinlein, and Heinlein, unasked, sent him financial assistance.  Robinson wrote a very nice article lauding Heinlein's generosity and kindness, noting that their politics are very different and that he was surprised Heinlein would do that for the likes of him.

Although I enjoyed Robinson's early "Callahan's Bar" stories, the later ones (especially Callahan's Key have gotten ridiculous;  and most of his novels seem to peter out about 2/3 of the way through.  I'd strongly recommend his first three Callahan's short-story collections. though.

Quoted:

Nah, Pratchett sux.

Two that you won't find much mention of:  Robert Frezza wrote two excellent military-SF novels, A Small Colonial War and Fire in a Faraway Place.  Frezza's other novels (including the third in that series) are decent but not great.  And Grant Callin wrote an excellent first-contact novel, Saturnalia;  you'll probably have to search used book sites to dig it up, since it probably went out of print twenty years ago.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Which of his works have incest in them?  (not that I am looking for it, just curious, as I would rather avoid those...)

TIA

Most of them.

One of the books goes into some detail about arranging an orgy amongst 2 protagonists, a daughter, and friends of the family.  Culminated in RAH's fictional universe declaring it a holiday.

It was part of the Lazarus Long series....think it was Time Enough for Love, but may have been another.

Lazarus goes back in time and has sex with his mom in that one.

Near the end he has sex with 14 yr old twin clones (except female) of himself....

by that time they are biologiclly 14 but like 40yrs old...due to there howard treatments.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#18]
re: Spider Robinson

After reading one of his short stories in a JE Pournelle collection, I bought Mindkiller, which I thought was pretty good.  Then I bought a bunch of his other stuff, and found it disapointing.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah, Pratchett sux.

snicker

Two that you won't find much mention of:  Robert Frezza wrote two excellent military-SF novels, A Small Colonial War and Fire in a Faraway Place.  Frezza's other novels (including the third in that series) are decent but not great.  And Grant Callin wrote an excellent first-contact novel, Saturnalia;  you'll probably have to search used book sites to dig it up, since it probably went out of print twenty years ago.

Never heard of Robert Frezza. Gonna have to look that up.

Cryptonomicon, as somebody mentioned. EXCELLENT book.  I love the comment on the 2nd Amendment when the FBI is doing the computer raid.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#20]
For military SciFi,  John Ringo's "March to the Sea", and the others in that series were some of my favorites.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
re: Spider Robinson

After reading one of his short stories in a JE Pournelle collection, I bought Mindkiller, which I thought was pretty good.  Then I bought a bunch of his other stuff, and found it disapointing.

Did you read "Lady Slings the Booze?"  My wife started with that one and read all of his books.  I enjoyed it too.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#22]
+1 for Troopers as a 1st RAH book

MIAHM for 2nd.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 11:56:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 12:28:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 1:17:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I, uh, didn't much care for Armor.

It was okay, but not great, imo.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Science fiction Dram style:

1. Christopher Rowley : Anything by Rowley is the absolute heat.
Starhammer
The Vang series
Fenrille series: The Founder, The Black Ship, The War for Eternity, To a Highland Nation
Bazil Broketail series
etc etc

Cannot reccommend highly enough.

2. Brian Daley: Sadly this VN vet has passed on, likely due to Agent Orange exposure. But he left us some outstanding works of fiction;
3 book series on Hobart Floyt and Alacrity Fitzhugh
Han Solo series

3. John Ringo and David Weber are producing some good stuff as previously mentioned here

4. Harry Harrison: Absolute master of funny writing for Sci Fi;
Bill the Galactic Hero
Stainless Steel Rat series (older books are the best)

5. Heinlein: Only his old stuff as he got waaaaaaaaay too fetishy freaky for me
Glory Road
Starship Troopers

6. Joe Haldemans the Forever War

Sadly though, I have not been able to find many newer good authors, cept' Ringo and Weber. Seems that all the good sci fi authors are no longer writing or burned out. How can anyone read enders game? Orson Scott Card is uhhh... not so good IMHO. Oh well, to each his own I suppose.
And what is it with all these female authors pumping out Sci Fi? There is not a dam' female breathing that can write a male character worth a decayed dingleberry. NOT ONE.

Dram out
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
How can anyone read enders game? Orson Scott Card is uhhh... not so good IMHO. Oh well, to each his own I suppose.

EG was an excellent short story.  He then expanded it into a novella.  Then he turned it into a novel.  Then he wrote a series as a follow-on.

IMHO it got worse each time.  The short story was a good thought-experiment raising questions of morality in time of war.  The series buried that in one giant guilt-trip.

Quoted:
And what is it with all these female authors pumping out Sci Fi? There is not a dam' female breathing that can write a male character worth a decayed dingleberry. NOT ONE.

I highly recommend Mercedes Lackey's series beginning with "Nursemaid to the Queen".  Just look for the books with the flaming gay unicorns on the covers.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Tried reading Lackey, Bujold, and the rest of the ilk....

Cant do it... just cant do it... tried... just cant stomache it. At all.

Urgh.. mrph...blurgh... bleagh! Yak!

Made me ill.

Dram
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 12:29:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 12:43:29 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I, uh, didn't much care for Armor.

It was okay, but not great, imo.

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Tried reading Lackey, Bujold, and the rest of the ilk....

Cant do it... just cant do it... tried... just cant stomache it. At all.

Urgh.. mrph...blurgh... bleagh! Yak!

Made me ill.

Dram

Sorry, I really was just joking.

Mercedes Lackey

ETA: Suburban Banshee Blog

The collaboration team behind This Rough Magic sounds like some really dumb joke: "An Australian, a Trotskyite labor organizer-turned-editor, and Mercedes Lackey walked into a bar...." Unfortunately, it's a bad joke on us. Editor Eric Flint has his name on at least 25% of Baen's published books nowadays; Mercedes Lackey is the fantasy world's saddest victim of the Brain Eater and recently wrote a book with a magical abortionist heroine ("....she would treat the women who came to her for treatment of their "female complaints"-including inconvenient or unwedded pregnancy...."); and Dave Freer...well, heck, he could be good, but we'll never know. His name only appears on books in conjunction with Eric Flint's.

BTW, the "Nursemaid to the Queen" series is actually called something like "The Chronicles of Valdemar" if anyone needs a good emetic.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 12:48:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I don't know what "classification" to look for, "Semi-Political sci-fi fiction"?

Books like 1984 and Brave New World used to be classified as distopias.  Might try that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 1:18:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 3:30:26 AM EDT
[#45]
BTW, lest my comment about Pratchett turn anyone off, he really is quite cute most of the time.

My favorites are Small Gods, Hogfather, Jingo, Night Watch, and of course Thief of Time.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:25:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Ringworld
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 12:47:58 AM EDT
[#47]
FRONT!!!!

Do I have the right book?
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 12:52:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
FRONT!!!!
quote]

Blonde, brunette or redhead?
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:01:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:19:38 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The guy has some sexual issues he needed to work out.

He had some interesting ideas on when it was ok to pork someone.

Anyone know if he lived like his heroes lived? I.e. fuck anything that moves, including members of your immediate family.

Which of his works have incest in them?  (not that I am looking for it, just curious, as I would rather avoid those...)

TIA

And yet my High School library had 7-8 of his books. Starman Jones was a good one. Oddly enough I think "Stranger in a Strange Land" has a minor anti-war theme in it and mentioned the "bush wars in asia". (High School 1960-64)
 If you like S/F, get some E.E. "Doc" Smith works also.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top