Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Re KAINAM-13,

No, not a ranger anymore.  Last thing he was doing was forward observer/sniper.  He left the military during Iraq (jumped into the airport I think he said it was his last jump) and was talked into the Gaurd for a year as an instructor (didn't seem to work out like that for him).  Made a couple of short hops back to Iraq.  Said he missed the regular military.  He was training in Miss. and CA for the last 6mo. He's back home before deployment (2yr).  I haven't seen him but I expect he is spending quality time with family.
Hope to hook up with him this weekend or next week.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
An aquaintence of mine was there but doesn't say much about it.  He did say the guys from hollywood were like gnats trying to get him to tell his story.  Even pestered his parents.  Can't confirm it but he said his character is the big eared guy with the machinegun who gets left by the convoy.  He looks just like the guy in the movie or vice versa and is damn near deaf.  
He is still in service and will be deploying (again) in about two weeks.

Is he still a Ranger?

If you know his name, it should be easy enough to confirm it. They cover the subject pretty well in the book, IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The movie is very good, the book is awesome.
For me it's tough to watch because it pisses me off.
We should have leveled that city.

I agree. I have a few friends that were there during that time. One was with 10th mountian. A high school friend was killed there in a helo crash (accident. not due to ground fire)
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#4]
the guy that went deaf in the movie was Nelson
no idea if that was the real person's last name as I heard some of the characters in the movie are combinations of multiple men
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The HMMWVs and 5 tons were tin cans.

And 10 years later, we acted surprised that they were still tin cans.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#6]
It's on again.  Man, those stunt pilots in the light choppers have some balls to land half-on the roof like that.

G
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It's on again.  Man, those stunt pilots in the light choppers have some balls to land half-on the roof like that.

G

Weren't those real little birds, with real 160th pilots?
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#8]
The mini guns on Durants helo were offline, but what about the ones on the bird that put Shughart and Gordon in? Was there only a 4 man crew on that bird, 2 pilots and the snipers?

Those things would have made a hell of a differance in the fight.

Link Posted: 6/26/2005 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
An aquaintence of mine was there but doesn't say much about it.  He did say the guys from hollywood were like gnats trying to get him to tell his story.  Even pestered his parents.  Can't confirm it but he said his character is the big eared guy with the machinegun who gets left by the convoy.  He looks just like the guy in the movie or vice versa and is damn near deaf.  

Is he still a Ranger?

Sean Nelson? I once owned a Bushmaster AR15 upper that was reportedly once the property of Sean Nelson.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The mini guns on Durants helo were offline, but what about the ones on the bird that put Shughart and Gordon in? Was there only a 4 man crew on that bird, 2 pilots and the snipers?

Those things would have made a hell of a differance in the fight.

Miniguns run off electricity generated by the turbine. If the turbine ain't running, the Miniguns are down. I hear that Dillon was working on a battery powered reserve, but that may just be internet rumor.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

G

The pilot/copilot that landed in the intersection and pulled some of the wounded out of the first downed chopper were the real guys, playing themselves.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I watched most of it again tonight even though I have the dvd
then on the news I saw William Fichtner at the rally at the Buffalo Bisons game to save the Niag. Falls AFB
that guy just got bumped up a lot on my good actors list
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
THe locals had got rough with the UN people and we were the "backup". Then it turned into a shitstorm. I just hope we learned SOMETHING from this clusterfuck!

Think we'll learn anything from our current clusterfuck, in which an average of 3 somali death tolls per month have been going on since April of 03, all to make sure Sadaam didn't have WMD's!!

Think we will?
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My sentiments EXACTLY.

But that's why we're the badass good guys. We could've leveled the city but chose to take the slings and arrows to only deal with the true bad guys.

Sorry if that sounds PC, I just think it's really fantastic that we have the power, and we choose to stick our necks out to avoid creating unnecessary casualties.

Some of you 'level the city' types should bother reading 'Slaughterhouse Five', by Kurt Vonnegut.  I make no comment on the morality of bombing the city of Dresden, and even the Germans seem to realized that they probably deserved it, but I think you might find interesting some of the zest for overreaching and pointedly cruel vengeance from some of the American characters.

Link Posted: 6/26/2005 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting solution to the humanitarian crises we were there for.

Most of those in the cities weren't the ones in need of the help.
Thats where the scum is.
Wipe them out, level the city, show them we won't tolerate their terror.  The only thing the third world cockroaches understand and respect is force.
Instead, slick willie cuts and runs.

Link Posted: 6/26/2005 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Army asked Aspin/Clinton for Armor......

They said,  "no, that will send the wrong message...".

Unforgiveable.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Unforgiveable.

Our troops in Iraq asked the army for body armor and armor for Humvees.  They said "we're getting them upgraded as fast as we can, and the body armor is being produced just as quick as possible"  

Unforgiveable.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unforgiveable.

Our troops in Iraq asked the army for body armor and armor for Humvees.  They said "we're getting them upgraded as fast as we can, and the body armor is being produced just as quick as possible"  

Unforgiveable.

Armor for a Humvee removes the HM  from the name. Kinda removes their purpose doesn't it?
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Armor for a Humvee removes the HM  from the name. Kinda removes their purpose doesn't it?

Are you joking?  Are you saying that all the pansy soldiers begging for protection from increasingly larger and more cleverly placed IEDs are whiners?  Please tell me that's not it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Unforgiveable.

Dude!  It's a fvck'in jeep!!!!  Thats all it is!!!  It isn't an armored track vehicle!!!!  

Yes if I drove a HMMWV I'd like armor, but the HMMWV is a lite skinned vehicle with limited armor options.  

DONT PUSH FOR ARMORED HMMWVS, PUSH FOR MORE M113'S!!!!!!

Link Posted: 6/26/2005 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From all accounts Task Force Ranger was not there for humanitarian reason, The POTUS at he time Bill Clinton sent them in to find Adaid, nothing else. The humanitarian mission was turned over to the UN after we left near the End of President Bush's term if memory servers me correctly.

Task force Ranger was only sent in after a column of Pakistanis were leveled supplying humanitarian aid to the refugees. And the book as well as Durant's book was equally as telling. A must read to understand the climate that we face today in the war in terrorism

Link Posted: 6/26/2005 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unforgiveable.

Dude!  It's a fvck'in jeep!!!!  Thats all it is!!!  It isn't an armored track vehicle!!!!  

Yes if I drove a HMMWV I'd like armor, but the HMMWV is a lite skinned vehicle with limited armor options.  

You know, I've driven one of the things myself, so I know what it is.  Your pie in the sky M113 idea isn't happening anytime soon, so quit bitching about soldiers wanting to armor these things.  It's already happened anyway, but it took a long time... longer than it should have.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Just a note to anyone who doen't own the DVD, I saw it in the $5.50 bin a Wally World, so there is no excuse to not own it now, unless you just can't bring yourself to enter a Walmart.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unforgiveable.

You know, I've driven one of the things myself, so I know what it is.  Your pie in the sky M113 idea isn't happening anytime soon, so quit bitching about soldiers wanting to armor these things.  It's already happened anyway, but it took a long time... longer than it should have.

Yeah....it's really tough to shit up-armor kits.

There was only so much manufacturing capability. Rest assured, it was done as quickly as it could have been done.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you joking?  Are you saying that all the pansy soldiers begging for protection from increasingly larger and more cleverly placed IEDs are whiners?  Please tell me that's not it.

I said nothing about pansy soldiers and whining. That was what you said.

I said that the armor does not allow the vehicle to completely serve the purpose for which it was designed.

Also, as previously mentioned, it's hard for someone to just shit those things out.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Somebody I use to work with was in the Army at the time of the actual Blackhawk Down events. He has been trying to convince me it  really happened in Syria somewhere. The reason it was changed to the Mog was because Syria is suppose to be our allies at the time. Coverup? It is an interesting theory. Could be true. It would explain why air support and armor was called off. It would explain a lot that happened. Maybe this guy knows a lot more than we will ever know. Time to go get my Aluminum Foil Anti- Spy Hat!!!!!

Anybody heard this before? I've heard it more than once by different people. This wouldn't be the first time Big Brother lied to us. Comeone, Clinton and Billary couldn't be honest if their lives depended on it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unforgiveable.

If you have driven one, you should know they are heavy vehicles, that don't move like pick-up trucks. Adding weight to them, will make their performance worse, as well as overstress the suspensions. They were never intended to be combat vehicle, well except for MP's, they are a utility vehicle that replaced the M151 "Jeep".

The correct answer is M1117.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 4:33:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unforgiveable.

Unforgiveable.

Actually Jimmy, the pace at which Uparmored Humvees and SAPI plates have been fielded is a modern miracle.
In Iraq a need was identified, and it was promptly filled.
Uparmored Humvees DID NOT EXIST.  They were conceived of and built.
That takes time.

In Somalia, on the other hand, the troops asked for something that was already part of our inventory.
But Clinton said "No".  
Not because it was too difficult to bring armor to Somalia (the Marines had been doing so for a year)...
Not because Clinton felt it wasn't the right thing for the job...
No.
Clinton felt that tanks "would send the wrong message".
So when those soldiers needed armor, they had to rely on the UN.
They died.

Thanks Bill.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 4:36:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Somebody I use to work with was in the Army at the time of the actual Blackhawk Down events. He has been trying to convince me it  really happened in Syria somewhere. The reason it was changed to the Mog was because Syria is suppose to be our allies at the time. Coverup? It is an interesting theory. Could be true. It would explain why air support and armor was called off. It would explain a lot that happened. Maybe this guy knows a lot more than we will ever know. Time to go get my Aluminum Foil Anti- Spy Hat!!!!!

Anybody heard this before? I've heard it more than once by different people. This wouldn't be the first time Big Brother lied to us. Comeone, Clinton and Billary couldn't be honest if their lives depended on it.

Dude, you need thinker tinfoil.

Please, seek professional help if you believe such claptrap.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 4:41:43 AM EDT
[#30]
One of my very good friends Todd Blackburn was there himself.  He was the guy that was shot out of the helicopter in the beginning.  I met him 3 years after it happened and he did not tell me anything about it.  We raced skis and one day he took his wetsuit off and I noticed a huge scar that ran from his belly down his leg.  So I asked and that is when I found out.  He is now an Escambia County FL Sheriff.  One of the coolest guys I have ever met!  
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 4:46:59 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

G

Badasses!

G
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 4:48:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

That's the dumbest shit I have ever heard.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#33]
That deal in Somalia just shows how much billy boy and ms allbright lacked the sense that God gave a turnup and put politics over young american lives.I would like to see them confronted by the survivors to explain themselves and their actions.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

If you believe that shit, you have some serious issues
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

hmmm...I thought we were there to help feed the people that live in that city.  

1. People are starving because the warlords steal the aid.
2. We go in to try to remove the warlord so the people can eat.
3. The warlord's men fire on us.
4. We level the city - eliminating the hungry people, and the warlord.
5. Mission accomplished!  The USA saves the day again.

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:20:57 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

G

I thought I saw a news piece saying some of the pilots for the movie had flown in the actual battle (one of the little bird pilots flew a BH for the movie, IIRC).

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
That deal in Somalia just shows how much billy boy and ms allbright lacked the sense that God gave a turnup and put politics over young american lives.I would like to see them confronted by the survivors to explain themselves and their actions.

They were, and they couldn't.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:38:58 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Same for Baghdad, Fallujah, Taji, Tikrit...
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your point?
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:51:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
One of my very good friends Todd Blackburn was there himself.  He was the guy that was shot out of the helicopter in the beginning.  I met him 3 years after it happened and he did not tell me anything about it.  We raced skis and one day he took his wetsuit off and I noticed a huge scar that ran from his belly down his leg.  So I asked and that is when I found out.  He is now an Escambia County FL Sheriff.  One of the coolest guys I have ever met!  

I went to high school w/ Todd and saw him a couple years back at our reunion....good guy.  He doesn't talk about Somalia unless someone drags him into the conversation.

shooter
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was the first time, the humanitarian part.  The second deployment in Late August/early Sept was for Aidid only from what I understand.

As for the "level the city" comments, yeah it would have been nice, but from what I understand, in the first 6 or so raids for Aidid, some civies were killed and that is what started to turn the city against us.  So to level the city would have made it worse.

I think everyone should read the book before they watch the movie, so much more in the book.  This morning on the History channel, Mark Bowden was on with the "true story" of Black Hawk Down.  Alot of the book is/was spoken on that hour of commentary.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your point?

What the hell is the point of going in to help out civilians if we're just going to wipe them all out?
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Brave men.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most of those in the cities weren't the ones in need of the help.
Thats where the scum is.
Wipe them out, level the city, show them we won't tolerate their terror.  The only thing the third world cockroaches understand and respect is force.
Instead, slick willie cuts and runs.

People were starving in Mogidishu

So we send troops there to help out in a humanitarian crises, and we end up leveling the capital city of the country, killing thousands of the very people we came to help.  

Like I said, interesting solution.

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unforgiveable.

In Iraq we drove unarmored M1025 Humvees everywhere (I was based in Fallujah)  The engineers loaned us three M113s with crew.  We gave them back after we used them once.  They were horribly slow, loud and didn't offer protection for anything over a 7.62mm round.  We preferred to be able to go fast with our unarmored humvees than slow with the M113s.  

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Are you serious?

This is the craziest thing I have ever heard.  

I know guys in my Guard unit that were there (no, they didn't claim to be delta or rangers, they were MPs that guarded the perimeter of the base)
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bookhound, i agree and we know whose politics it was too, thx. Billy Boy!

You are right.

Why the fuck did Bush Sr. have us there?

BEcause the world was crying for us to go and do the right thing. Silly us, we go and do it.

Thing is. Why did Klintoon send int the Rangers and Delta to conduct the raid when negotiations were already in place with Aidid?
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

According to the book that guy was Shawn Nelson and I beleive he left the Army a long time ago. He re enlisted into the navy.

Spec. Shawn Nelson left the Ranger regiment and was working as a trail guide in the Grand Tetons in Wyoming until recently reenlisting, this time in the Navy
here
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
THe locals had got rough with the UN people and we were the "backup". Then it turned into a shitstorm. I just hope we learned SOMETHING from this clusterfuck!

Think we'll learn anything from our current clusterfuck, in which an average of 3 somali death tolls per month have been going on since April of 03, all to make sure Sadaam didn't have WMD's!!

Think we will?

Not with the liberals and democrats wanting us to lose so badly.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unforgiveable.

Unforgiveable.

Are we sure this isnt you know who?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top