Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2001 7:46:07 AM EDT
We got to play with a few claymores last weekend. Our training staff thought it would be a good idea to place a flak jacket about 15 meters away from the mine to demonstrate how they protect us. Well, the plan kinda backfired, because the pellets went right through this thing! At that range, two pellets hit the jacket, went right through the front, through a 3/4" piece of plywood and out the back or the jacket.

Basically, the lesson learned was if you walk into a claymore mine, you lose. Even if the 750 pellets from the mine or the concussion of it doesnt kill you, you will be a deaf mother f*cker for the rest of your life! [BD]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure who is more stupid, the person that claims a USGI flak jacket would stop claymore pellets or the person that might believe it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#2]
only 2 pellets at 15? sounds like instructors were morons, nothing like a bunch wired in a series, wish I had a dozen on hand,,watch that back blast
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 1:20:36 PM EDT
[#3]
heh stupid instructers a flak jacket is ment to protect from shrapnel not a direct blast like that from a claymore
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#4]
cyrax777
The projectiles in a claymore is actually a form of shrapnel, one of the few you actually find in the US military today.  The major killing element in a claymore mine are the steel balls in front of the C4,  the blast effect does very little killing beyond a few feet.  The body armor is also designed to stop fragmetation (not specifically shrapnel, since that is a specific munition type) outside of the ECR of the munition, not within it.  Hence, if you were outside of 100-150m the chances of a penetration go down considerably.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm glad to know our country's defense is in your able hands Garand Shooter! The guys that got things done in MY Army wouldn't have fit into Clinton's Politically Correct Green Machine. They liked to blow things up too! Hey, are you still driving that UN-politically Correct Mean Green Machine I saw you in a couple of years ago?
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#8]
1 claymore mine.  1 55 gal drum of aviation fuel.  Sand bags to direct blast for maximum effect.  [grenade]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe you could interest Mole Eye in wearing the flak vest and standing in front of the Claymore when you detonate it.  He could use the paint ball gun and see how long it takes him to return fire.

Just an idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top