Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2001 10:22:32 AM EDT
I have a question about "dummy guns" or "parts kit guns"

As I understand it they are perfectly legal as long as they meet special BATF requirements in regards to the receiver (cutting etc.)

If I buy a gun with a cut receiver can I make some sort of metal "filler" piece in order to hold the gun together as it was originally?

What are the rules in regards to fixing them up for appreance but not functioning puposes?

Thanks

Link Posted: 7/2/2001 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I think that trying to 'weld' the receiver back together is a 'no-no.'

That's why they sell 'dummy receivers' so that you can use them to put the remaining parts together for your wall-hanger.

Eric The(TryingToBeHelpful)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#2]
If it doesn't have a functioning receiver, it's not a gun.  Welding demilled parts back together is fine, so long as you weld enough to prevent any chance or appearance of a possibility of functioning.

Norm
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually, what you suggest should be fine so long as the gun can't function.

Welding a middle section in could probably constitute making a new receiver.  Now, if you filled the insides with solder, scrap pieces, etc., it'd probably be fine.

Welding the barrel up and onto the non-receiver may also be necessary.

Contact be BATF to see what they'd require.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#4]
IMA sells many solid cast aluminum "receivers" that can be used to make dummy guns,  In fact, I own an MP-40 dummy gun that graces my WWII collection case.

However, I've always wondered what I would need to do to make a non-functional M16A1 wallhanger?

Does anybody know?

Link Posted: 7/3/2001 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I stole this from another site. Does this help?
[img]http://www.securityarms2.com/20010315/pics/0800/848.jpg[/img]  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top