Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2001 9:52:15 PM EDT
Today, my company sponsored a Blood drive at our local office.  Out of approximately 500 invites, 34 people signed up, and 28 or so actually gave.  This was pitiful.  There is a shortage of donors in the country, and in event of a large emergency, the available blood countrywide could be drained.  

My Father had unexpected surgery in 1999.  He required 9 pints.  I didn't give him that blood, other donors, folks like you, did.  Folks, if you think you even might be eligible, please, please, please, give blood.  You can call the Red Cross at 1 800 GIVE LIFE (18004483543).  
[url]http://www.redcross.org/donate/give/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Dont forget you can also donate for yourself if you have surgery.Blood transfussion saved my life.Later somehow contracted toxic hepatitus so I dont feel right about donating.Doctor said it was all right but I would hate to give it to someone if they were wrong.I know it was toxic instead of viral but I would hate to make anyone sick.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Its been 1 1/2 years but i want to get tested agian.I pretty shure it was from some bug spray.But even if given the ok I still want the test.If someone is bad off enough to need blood I would hate to make someone sicker and maybe kill them.I had 103 temp and threw up every hour for 5 weeks
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey! that sounds like how I felt when Gore was contesting the election!
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 11:27:28 PM EDT
[#6]
dont remind me

[puke][puke][puke][puke]

Always wanted to use that
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 2:00:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know how I feel about donating blood anymore, at least around here.  You see, Red Cross just jumped their price per unit up about 45%.  Now, all I ever hear, no matter what time of year, is whining about a dreaded blood shortage.  So they run about, get what they can, don't pay you except for the cookie, then SELL it for VERY top $$$!!!  Something's wrong here.  Drive by any downtown plasma center and they're out the door in line to sell plasma.  Try offering folks a little for their blood and stop the incessant whining doomsday pitches about giving blood.  WHY should I give away a product for them to sell for $210 a freakin' pint?????  I'm NOT greedy, and have given blood for years.  It just don't sit right with me after their latest price hike and their stupid, constant "oh dear me, we're almost out of blood" wolf cries.  Like that jewelry store that's been having a going out of business sale for 2 years!
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 3:21:17 AM EDT
[#8]
At least they give you a stale old twinkie and some foul juice.  (then they go and sell your blood for huge $$$)

Link Posted: 6/30/2001 7:08:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I try to donate whole blood & white blood platelets to the City of Hope(www.cityofhope.org) in Duarte, Calif.(15 miles east of Los Angeles) once per month in support of their bone morrow transplant program which requires hundreds of units of blood products per month. I can't afford to personally to donate thousands of dollars of real money to this organization, but this can go along way to help out a bit.  This is a little like stopping a bad gun law from being implemented, when it affects you personally it is pretty bad.  I have seen children still sucking on bottle and teenagers suffering from cancer in a garden courtyard on my donation visits there.  My 15 seconds of fame.

And I wear my NRA hat there.  Some people recognize that the hat, and say "oh you belong to the NRA huh?"
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 7:25:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#11]
If you live by a near a military base and they have a blood drive see if you can donate there.  Not sure if you can.  I know when I was at boot camp they asked everyone to donate.  They wouldn't let me because I had just gotten a tattoo.  I believe the military doesn't sell I think they just distribute it to all the military hospitals.

Do it for your fighting men!

Semper Fi

Smalls
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top