Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2001 9:31:08 PM EDT
This is hot off the presses:

[url]http://www.mcrgo.org/news_story.asp?key=459[/url]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 12:31:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Michigan got a shall issue law. But it is the worst shall issue law in the nation. a long list of misdemeanor violations, including traffic offenses will prohibit you from geting a CCW.
I know guys who have had their CCW permits for years, who will not be able to renew under the new law.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#2]
This is the most pathetic CCW I have ever seen!
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Actually our last CCW law was even worse. It was basically non existant. If you knew the right person, or happened to live in one of the maybe two counties in the state that were liberal with the CCW's you were OK, otherwise forget it. I do understand all the crap in this bill is more restrictive to the fortunate few. But they should also understand that with every election a new Sheriff or DA could be in power and the good times would be over.
Tuco
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah its pretty much what Tuco said.  If you weren't an ex-leo, ex-judge, or your life was in immediate danger.  You could forget about applying.  You didn't have a chance!  Under this new law I will be able to get one.  So will my father.

Semper Fi

Smalls
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Ohio may not be far behind. A current proposal has the support of the Buckeye State Sheriffs Assc. The governer has been waiting for oranized support from law enforcement before he will sign a CCW bill. We will see.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Good or bad this is MUCH better than what we have here in Illinois, wich is nothing. The ISRA (yes, I am a member) once again tried to push it through the legislator, I don't believe it was ever called to the floor by the speaker.
Until the Daley and his minions are gone we will never have a CCW here in Illinois. SO, at times I am no more than a common criminal.

Allen

JPFO, ISRA, NRA
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah its pretty much what Tuco said.  If you weren't an ex-leo, ex-judge, or your life was in immediate danger.  You could forget about applying.  You didn't have a chance!  Under this new law I will be able to get one.  So will my father.

Semper Fi

Smalls
View Quote

Not entirely true. Here in the UP we had about 5 counties issuing unrestricted CCW's to just about anybody with a good record and (usually) NRA safety training. I think there were maybe 2 more counties downstate doing likewise. I heard the Ontonagon County prosecutor say publicly that he didn't care if you carried in a bar, except if you took the gun out he'd give you one warning before clamping down. That's pretty laid back. I got a CCW in Houghton County without even taking safety training. I guess I'll have to take it now.

I believe it was so many counties going their own way in defiance of the state police that finally forced the legislature to act on this issue, which had been tossed around like a hot potato for years previously.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Until now, in Marquette county of MI, only leo's, judges, and the prosecutor's beer drinking buddies could get an unrestricted CCW. Now, the average person can finally get an unrestricted ccw. It's about $%$%^#@ time! SamC
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a major event, but we cannot let our guard down yet.  The anti's plan to start another petition drive for a ballot initiative, which would mean that the public could still vote on the new law, but the implementation of the law will not be delayed.

My main concerns of a ballot issue:

1)The way the anti's distort the truth.

2) The liberals in Detroit trying to dictate policy on the rest of the State.

Be prepared to get involved in the next election (i.e. write letters, campaign, and vote).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top