Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2001 7:21:44 AM EDT
I bought an ArmaLite M15-A2 last Sunday. It is a SWEET shooter...FAR better than me. I have a couple of newbie-type questions.

I've set the sights up to be about 1-1/2" high at 100 yards...like the Boston Tea Party book recommends. Elevation is perfect...just using the front sight for adjustment, but windage is cranked pretty far right - all the way over to the first long line on the vernier. Is this normal? Is there a way to adjust the sight base to correct this back to a near-center zero?
I wonder if it is just the nature of the beast.
My nature is, unfortunately, to need to have everything in straight lines and "just so" before I'm content.

Is CLP alone enough lube for these? When I bought it, it was dripping with heavy oil, which I cleaned out. The few times I've shot it this week, I've experimented with CLP and Mobil 1 synthetic. It works fine with both. I'd like to stay with one or the other, but I'm a little leery about CLP alone.

The ArmaLite manual says that the military uses CLP almost exclusively...who am I to argue?

What do you guys say?
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I use castrol GunStripper in the barrel and the patches are clean in 5 swabs!! I use CLP for everything else.  When mine came from bushmaster it was not dripping in oil at all.  It was ready straight out of the box.  The CLP is ok in the barrell but the Castrol cleans 10 times better in the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:38:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I have right windage cranked into the sights on any AR I shoot. This also seems to be required on handguns for me. Maybe my head's a little crooked. That's what the adjustment is for. As for CLP, it's good enough for the US military under full auto conditions in the field and that makes it good enough for me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:13:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been using CorrosionX products for protecting and lubeing my babies over a year now, I also use Butchs for cleaning the bore and Slick 50 One Grease. I have had no problems with my Armalites, pistols, revolvers, shotguns, rifles using these products. I also take a four inch paint brush when I am done cleaning, and put a tiny tiny smidgen of Slick 50 grease on the end of the paint brush and go over all the metal surfaces and front handguard with it. It leaves a even finish that drives me crazy to look at. The four inch brush picks up all unnecessary oil and gets into tight places easier. I use a acid brush to apply grease and oil too, brushs are your friends. Screw rags and patches, just don't over do the amount you put on the brush, you will be amazed at how little oil it will take using a brush.www.corrosionx.com
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies everybody. Anyone else?
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#5]
i just use regular good old break free works fine
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top