Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2001 4:27:24 PM EDT
Do these scopes at this link:

[url]http://www.sksman.com/access/scopes1.html[/url]

get hit by shells ejecting out of the top of the SKS receiver? It seems like they would get banged up pretty bad. Are the scopes short enough that this is not a problem?

radioman
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with sweep, just look at the receiver cover, it is going to move all over the place if you put a scope up there.  

I really think SKS are best as is, with standard Iron Sights.  Just my opinion though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Really? I thought that ANYTHING would be an improvement over the SKS sights.

radioman
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#4]
As bad as the stock leaf sights are, a scope that is wandering all over the place will get pretty frustrating.

Must just be me, but are the stock sights that bad?
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a $50 leapers and used it for a year on my 16" paratrooper then took it off and I keep it off.

Irons for me please.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Agree with most people here. That cover is not condusive to keeping a zero for your scope. There is a mount the you can tap and drill onto the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's what you need.
[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~routhier/taurus/sksmount.jpg[/img]
Looks like it'd take the scope mount for a Mosin Nagant sniper rifle.  I've only seen one and it might have been on the right side of the receiver.

LT, how's the MN collection?  Big 5 has one on sale.  The one on Colorado had one that was pretty beat up.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Really? I thought that ANYTHING would be an improvement over the SKS sights.

radioman
View Quote

I don't think they are all THAT bad. Last fall I went to a local "turkey shoot" with my totally stock pinned-barrel SKS and won a frozen turkey shooting offhand at oil bottles at 50 yards and milk jugs at 100 yards. It was 5 shots with no misses allowed, and I saw plenty of guys with fancy scoped rigs who couldn't do it. In fact, I think only 3 others were successful, out of a whole day's shooting.

We don't need no stinking scopes!
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a short scope on my sks and flying shells broke the front lens
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#12]

[/quote]

I don't think they are all THAT bad. Last fall I went to a local "turkey shoot" with my totally stock pinned-barrel SKS and won a frozen turkey shooting offhand at oil bottles at 50 yards and milk jugs at 100 yards. It was 5 shots with no misses allowed, and I saw plenty of guys with fancy scoped rigs who couldn't do it. In fact, I think only 3 others were successful, out of a whole day's shooting.

We don't need no stinking scopes![/quote]

If they couldn't hit a milk jug at 100 yards with a scoped rifle they don't need a rifle, they need a seeing eye dog!
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
LT, how's the MN collection?  Big 5 has one on sale.  The one on Colorado had one that was pretty beat up.
View Quote

Hadn't bought another one since the one I refurbished. Looking to buy some more though they are fun shooters. Unfortunately we don't have Big5 here in TX, but fortunately it is easy to get a C&R FFL here. Which is probably the route I will go.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If they couldn't hit a milk jug at 100 yards with a scoped rifle they don't need a rifle, they need a seeing eye dog!
View Quote

Well, it was from the standing position. With a crowd of people looking over your shoulder. On a windy day. I thought it was pretty tough to do myself.

And the difficulty did not lie in seeing the target or aligning the sights (where a scope would make much difference), but in holding the gun steady and squeezing the trigger properly. It's my experience that very few people, percentage-wise, can do this.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Most scopes sold with SKS receiver mounts will still allow normal function & the use of stripper clips.  But, receiver mounts on an SKS are a tradeoff.  They'll either fit loosely and make you less competitive in high power matches [;)] or clamp on and require tools to fieldstrip & clean your gun.  For my money I'd much rather have the wiggly sight base than the cleaning impediment, but I'd have to have a pretty good reason to put a scope on an SKS in the first place. I briefly tried a red dot on an SKS & yanked it after about a month in favor of the stock sights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top