User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah yeah come to Rhode Island,
You can eat chowda and fish & chips till ya' puke yeah yeah,
and there's a swamp you can shoot .22's in yeah yeah that's it,
and snow oh beautiful snow; ya'go an buy one of them DPMS Arctic rifles and role around with it and no one can see ya' cause it's camouflaged yeah yeah,
and I can sell ya' my itty bitty little house real cheap so I can have someplace to stay when I'm visiiting friends up here,
when I get bored of living in my new home in the  state of VIRGINIA,
Yeah yeah come to Rhode Island.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I thank you all for the help but I'm also going to have to look for a job and get in to a PD and no I'm not one of them collage boys how don't know when to let the speeder go I say if the person is coming home from work I'll let them get off with ten over god knows I do it also if there late for work so if anyone knows any PD hiring that you don't need collage for e-mail me.
I'm kind of aimming to TN,TX,NM, sorry I would pick AZ but I have family there that I hate and my parents would tell them that I lived there.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey cruizer, sounds like Silver city ?
if so, great place....
Gotta love JALISCOS !!!
[x]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yeah yeah come to Rhode Island,
View Quote

RI?? The home of the pathetic "Patches" Kennedy, the Congressboy? And how about Sen. Jack Reed, D-RI, AKA "Cap'n Jack", who, even after graduating from West Point, still couldn't make it past captain in the US Army?

Hey what am I complaining about- I live in %#&**%% Massachusetts.....RI is a gun lovers' paradise, as long as you don't want to go CCW- CCW is actually easier (relatively speaking) to get in the PRoMA than in RI. Whodathunkit?

New State Motto: "Come to Massachusetts- but give up your guns first!"

Grrrr..... >:^(

"Turned in my guns- all I got was these lousy leg irons.."
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 7:53:08 AM EDT
[#5]
OK now I'm going to see what is the winner of the best state to live in.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#6]
What is all this talk about "4 seasons"?  Y'all got a football league you haven't told us about?

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I've lived in 13 states, not including overseas, mostly east coast.  Upstate Maine is nice, but the winters are HARD.  Pa is my 2nd choice (rural areas, not the south east area by philly)  Gun laws are very user friendly out of most of the east coast states and lots of ranges.  Top pick goes to W.V!  I used to be a hard core kayaker (boater), plentiful whitewater everywhere, nobody wants to move there, snow and mountains for skiing, lots of good hunting, and you can still shoot in you're back yard when you want (of course in the rural areas).  I try to get to Idaho and Montana every year, and if I could find a decent job, would move there in a heart beat, everythings BIGGER out west and I hate to say it, but seems better (of course, in my opinion, you get to see how the goverment wants to srew everything up out there, because they've done what they could in the east).  Alaska gets a high nod if you can deal with the summers and winters (light and lack of), one of the very few places that you can still get lost and forget about sombody finding you.  My .02
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania:
The land of Guns, Coal, and Yuengling beer.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Coal-cracker, what part of the county do you live in?  Graduated from Blue Mountain in 1983, didn't think anybody who drank yuengling uses a computer:)  Do any shooting up in the "burma"?
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#10]
South Carolina has a very long gun season for deer.  August 15-Jan 1 depending on what area of the state.  Bag limits are good also.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania:
The land of Guns, Coal, and Yuengling beer.
View Quote
 You mean that stuff is BEER?  One taste convinced me it would be better paint remover.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Yuengling beer what the hell is that stuff never heard of it is it a dark or a puss- lite beer. After you drink Guinness and oatmeal stout like most people drink miller or bud everything starts tasting like a lite beer yuck lite beer sucks.

Miller  [puke]          Bud  [puke]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#13]
ABC, Anywhere But California! There ought to be a sign above the interstate that reads "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here!"

If you enjoy traffic jams, car insurance that costs as much as you house payment, earthquakes, and gun registration, then this is the state for you! Otherwise, stay out. The only pluses are decent paying jobs (you need one to afford electricity) and mild weather.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#14]
If you like shooting, like many rural areas to hunt/practice in, and prefer loose firearm legislature, than Alabama is definately for you.

Just don't come with or plan on having any kids while you're here, though.  Our educational facilities have dropped bottom, especially with the Bible-beater mentality that has gotten through to our oh-so-wonderful Senator.

Conclusion:  good place for gun-toting Americans, bad area for education-needy children.  As far as I'm concerned though, I can hardly pay tuition now with the %40 increase, so everybody here can suck me...Georgia is getting my career skills.

(Speaking of which, why hasn't anybody plugged Georgia yet?  They have FREE school, great places to shoot, awesome metropolitan activities around Atlanta, and did I mention [b]FREE SCHOOL??[/b])

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[center][size=6][b]LIKE HELL!![/b][/center][/size=6]

My tiny little county just quadrupled in size thanks to FL license plates!!  You might get [b]SOME[/b] "snow birds" in winter but we get just about [b]EVERY[/b] FL resident in the spring, summer, and fall![V]
View Quote

I got to give that one to you, but just because there are now 24 people in your county, don't hate all of us, "flatland" tourists. [:D]  I don't think, however, you really understand the magnitude of the "snowbird" influx during the winter, here! If we had hills and mountains, tourists would never leave!
View Quote

You're right!  He doesn't.  After they come to visit, they decide to retire here. Apparently they like our lakes, beaches, oak & pine trees. They sell their houses up north and buy ten times the house here in my little town. Because of it land & homes have skyrocketed in price here.  We haven't been able to keep up the influx of traffic.  The population in this little town has more than tripled in the past 10 years. And with the increase of people, property taxes and water prices have gone up drastically.  

Can't wait to leave this place, it's getting way to crowded!

Link Posted: 6/13/2001 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#16]
IDAHO, IDAHO, IDAHO
Friend of mine has the deputies out all the time checking out his NFA weapons, but only because they think they are COOL and want to see them.
I know it says I am from Utah but only while going to school. Utah is OK too if you can stand the drivers.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey anybody from Alabama. I have a question about handguns in ALabama. Is the age 18 or 21 ? I am planning on moving to the Pensacola area in the Fall and was trying to decide wheter to live on the Florida or Alabama Sides. The main advantages I would see in Alabama would possibly be Handgun ownership. I am 19. And, owning rifles without a stock. Florida just ruled that stockless rifle even if they are 16"/26" or 18"/28" for shotguns are handguns for sale purposes, because the main way of firing get this is with one hand. Hello, we are not Rambo. I don't personally know anybody who can properly fire a pistol grip shot gun with one hand. Pretty Front-Heavy. Perhaps a .22 though. WOuld still be pretty hard. But, for my point anybody from Alabama get back to me on that handgun issue. I read the law on NRAs website. Says that you cannot give a handgun to a minor. Kinda ambiguos. I would be happy in either place, but if I would get extra gun rights, then I would definitely move to Daphne, AL instead of Pensacola, FL. The other issue is my plan to transfer to University of South Alabama after a year at school in Pensacola. Would this allow me to establish Alabama residency, for in-state tuition. Is USA a decent school. Please let me know
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Yuengling beer is actually america's oldest continuing brewed beer (since 1829 I believe).  It's made in Pottsville, Pa.  A quote from Alphajaguars is "that it taste damn good" (I brought a couple of cases back to N.C when I was in Pa.).  Back in the old days when I still drank, it was custom to buy a case of quarts (don't know if they still have them in the quart bottles anymore) and drive around the county on the weekend nights.  The one brand that I really liked was the Black and Tan (nice BLACK STOUT beer).  Funny, back in the late 70's early 80's, it was good cheap beer, but when micro brewing took off, so did thier prices (but still not that bad, probably about $13 a case).  If you guys ever get the chance, try it, whatever state I'm in I usually bring a sample "case", and everybody seems to like it (hey, remember, I don't speak for everybody!)
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Ground Zero...Washington DC... He!..He!..He! [>Q]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yuengling beer is actually america's oldest continuing brewed beer (since 1829 I believe).  It's made in Pottsville, Pa.  A quote from Alphajaguars is "that it taste damn good" (I brought a couple of cases back to N.C when I was in Pa.).  Back in the old days when I still drank, it was custom to buy a case of quarts (don't know if they still have them in the quart bottles anymore) and drive around the county on the weekend nights.  The one brand that I really liked was the Black and Tan (nice BLACK STOUT beer).  Funny, back in the late 70's early 80's, it was good cheap beer, but when micro brewing took off, so did thier prices (but still not that bad, probably about $13 a case).  If you guys ever get the chance, try it, whatever state I'm in I usually bring a sample "case", and everybody seems to like it (hey, remember, I don't speak for everybody!)
View Quote

Yes 13f, you can still buy quarts of Yueng.
Place in Ashland sells them for 4 quarts for 5 bucks.  Not sure what a case of quarts cost anymore but the price is going up as it has become really popular with the Yuppie-Types in Philly and in Delaware & Jersey.
I can remember a case of Lager bottles (12oz.) being $8.00 - Now it up to about $15.00.
To answer your earlier question: Yes, I go up the Burma shooting often, but lately I've been going to MountainTop Sportman's Complex (Between Minersville and Lavelle).
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Maine isn't to bad a place. Good deer hunting,mostly gun friendly(except Portland area)and plenty of places to shoot.NewHampshire (Northern half) pretty nice too.
View Quote

I agree with jb. My parents have a house just outside Waterville. Neighbor is the Sheriff. She's over 80 years old, and get's her limit in deer season every year. Yup, she climbs a tree stand.
Dad asked her about the CCW permit. Her answer was "if youre not going to do something illegal, just carry it!" Gotta love a state like that!!

I'm in NJ. If you dont like crowds, hot humid weather, annoying soccer moms in SUV's, AW bans, traffic,and snotty attitudes, dont come here.
Eric
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hey anybody from Alabama. I have a question about handguns in ALabama. Is the age 18 or 21 ? I am planning on moving to the Pensacola area in the Fall and was trying to decide wheter to live on the Florida or Alabama Sides. The main advantages I would see in Alabama would possibly be Handgun ownership. I am 19. And, owning rifles without a stock. Florida just ruled that stockless rifle even if they are 16"/26" or 18"/28" for shotguns are handguns for sale purposes, because the main way of firing get this is with one hand. Hello, we are not Rambo. I don't personally know anybody who can properly fire a pistol grip shot gun with one hand. Pretty Front-Heavy. Perhaps a .22 though. WOuld still be pretty hard. But, for my point anybody from Alabama get back to me on that handgun issue. I read the law on NRAs website. Says that you cannot give a handgun to a minor. Kinda ambiguos. I would be happy in either place, but if I would get extra gun rights, then I would definitely move to Daphne, AL instead of Pensacola, FL. The other issue is my plan to transfer to University of South Alabama after a year at school in Pensacola. Would this allow me to establish Alabama residency, for in-state tuition. Is USA a decent school. Please let me know
View Quote

Last time I checked it was still 21.  Sorry man.

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone in Alabama how much is the privet schooling there I know a lot of people in Mississippi send there kids to privet school because they fear for there child safety. As I was told in the one town that I was in the black (not going to use the word they do.)would tell the white kids that this was there school and if there where a guy they where going to get the crap kicked out of them every day and if your a girl your going to get raped. Now I don't know if this is true or not and I don't care because I'm going to home school my kids the. ( lets not get in to that.)  
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#24]
    After giving this more thought I would move to Alaska with or without her, I allready tried this approach(about 20 years ago)and it worked just fine. BTW I parked a new mare in her stall.
  Have a nice day,  Rabon..
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Anyone in Alabama how much is the privet schooling there I know a lot of people in Mississippi send there kids to privet school because they fear for there child safety. As I was told in the one town that I was in the black (not going to use the word they do.)would tell the white kids that this was there school and if there where a guy they where going to get the crap kicked out of them every day and if your a girl your going to get raped. Now I don't know if this is true or not and I don't care because I'm going to home school my kids the. ( lets not get in to that.)  
View Quote

With recent proration taking place, you are probably looking at a minimum of $2500 for good, private schools.  If you decide to go public school system, I can only suggest my old Alma Mater - the Hoover City School system - to be the most logical choice in this horendously uneducated state.  However, I would most likely suggest home-schooling or private (especially with the ever growing Hoover population).  If you have any more questions about our "fine" state *cough*, please email me or reply.

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm not to worried about the money thing my wife is a nurse and she can get some good money plus she can get a job anywhere. Does AL have CCW or no and do you know of any police jobs out there. This also goes for TX to. Can't be as bad as Carlil AR that place sucked it took you a hour just to find a Wal-mart a Hospital or anything for that matter if theres anyone from that town you might know my mother-in laws family.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Come live where I do HAWAII, It's where all the anti's live
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dude, AR is pretty damn good for those of us that like guns. Weather's decent, chicks are hot, and you can come shoot in my backyard.[:)]
View Quote

I would have to agree.  You can drive just about 15 minutes from ANYWHERE in the state of AR and find the country.  You can also find the MIDDLE OF FREAKING  NOWHERE if you want it.  Plus, everyone here carries a gun.  The rednecks keep the brothers in check, and everyone seems to get along for the most part.

I like it here.  

Ronnie
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:55:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:38:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Maine the way life should be.
View Quote

After spending last weekend visiting and shooting with X-Ring and his dad in Maine, I think I agree with you.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#31]
This is weird I have not heard anyone say anything about ND or SD. And I thing I scared off the Mississippi people with what I said.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm not to worried about the money thing my wife is a nurse and she can get some good money plus she can get a job anywhere. Does AL have CCW or no and do you know of any police jobs out there. This also goes for TX to. Can't be as bad as Carlil AR that place sucked it took you a hour just to find a Wal-mart a Hospital or anything for that matter if theres anyone from that town you might know my mother-in laws family.
View Quote

If you would have asked me about a year ago, I could have given you references from about half a dozen police officers.  I'm not associated with them anymore, unfortunately.  CCW? Most definately - if you're 21 with a clear record, you can carry.  What city/county/area in AL were you thinking of relocating to?  Just curious if I knew anything about the area and could let you know anything "quirky" about it, in advance.

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#33]
No I'm just looking right now not moving yet at least for 6 months to the end of the year. I might get in to the coast guard so I'm looking around to where I will want to get based at or the ARMY I'm also looking at.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By SILVER SURFER:
View Quote

Just something to think about did you know that in Hawaii a girl has to be only 14 for sexual conception most places its 17 or 18. Thats just what I have read some where.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#35]
tayous1-
I agree Greenwood is a bad place. However there sre some other great places to live, Jackson is nice and big.  Other towns like Oxford are amaller college towns( good police jobs) However I live in "little memphis" aka Southaven, MS which is like 10 miles from memphis, TN we both commute in to work, not too bad of a drive.  MS you can carry in your car legally, and loaded, we have CCW permits here, never heard of any NFA problems.  Holler if I can help, I have a few police connections, if you are looking for a job.
Good Luck
James
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This is weird I have not heard anyone say anything about ND or SD. And I thing I scared off the Mississippi people with what I said.
View Quote
Only because i'ce been offline for a few days.  IN SD we have very pro 2nd amendment laws, 4 seasons, lots of hunting.  In the west, the winters are a little milder, but we still get some intense storms.  And a CCW is $10 for 4 years, almost automatic with a clean record.  Drawbacks...1.  We keep electing Tom Daschle.  2.  In the Black Hills area, wages don't keep up with cost of living.  3.  More and more landowners posting land.  4.  Getting to be more and more tree-huggers moving in from elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Think Nevada.  Lowest population to sqaremile of any state save Alaska.  Which wouldn't be so bad exceptit gets cold.  But you can buy anything you want up there.  Hell you can pack a Full Auto if you want.  Just don't take it to Ancorage or any other big city.  

But Nevada rocks.  If you dont gambale alot then you are set cause the food is cheap(but good) and the gun laws are pretty lax.  And i know a great Gun Store in Las Vegas.  Good guns at great prices.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Allthough I am content living in Australia, near the beach here in Cronulla in Sydney's south, if I could live in America, either east Texas or South Dakota, around the Deadwood area. I was there, and Jesus it was nice! I would imagine their gun laws are liberal too (I hope)
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Any place to shoot out there?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#40]
What about Colorado? It seems like somewhere near the mountains would be a nice place to be. Does anyone know about the gun laws and the cost of living there?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:49:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Don't waste your time looking at Alabama. It use to be a great state but in the last 15 years it has really started to suck and is only going to get worse. I think Iowa sounds good ??
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#42]
have not heard from anyone if they like ND or SD
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Tay- peoples republic of hawaii

Oldtimer- Yeah, there are a number of ranges. But their always watching us [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
have not heard from anyone if they like ND or SD
View Quote
Go back 4 and 6 posts from your last post.  And Feral, since the gambling took off in Deadwood, property costs are way too high.  There are a lot of nice places on the edge of the Black Hills, just stay out of the cities.  And Yes, SD's gun laws are very RKBA-friendly.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Oldtimer- Yeah, there are a number of ranges. But their always watching us [rolleyes]
View Quote

Are all the Islands the sam way? I want to come out when I retire and try it out for a while .[beer]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm going to have to get acount and see what state has the most people saying to go to.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are all the Islands the sam way? I want to come out when I retire and try it out for a while .[beer]
View Quote

Yeah, nice place to retire, but not very gun friendly. I shoot with an IPSC (USPSA) club, when we have our state matches people from other states or countries want to come over to shoot our matches. Some shooters want to do the right thing so they contact the police dept. to find out the rules. To make a long story short they get hassled, background checks, why you bringging a gun into our state? ---ect. Oh and the stupid 10 round law does'nt help. When people in hawaii are thinking to retire we think about places like LV or AZ. Goodluck
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#48]
The top 3 places to live so far are (Now if I'm wrong tell me.)

1. TX with 6 votes
2. PA with 5 votes
3. AZ with 4 votes

So far TX looks like its wining only thing is does PA have CCW
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 10:46:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The top 3 places to live so far are (Now if I'm wrong tell me.)

1. TX with 6 votes
2. PA with 5 votes
3. AZ with 4 votes

So far TX looks like its wining only thing is does PA have CCW
View Quote

Dont they have the big tornados in #2 & #3? must be hard to shoot in the wind?
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#50]
sorry it's #1 & #2
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top